TexMex

Smax

I had a pretty good lunch at Pico’s on Kirby this week. $24 for carne asada, cheese enchilada, rice and beans, tortillas. It was under $20 for years, but inflation. 

Probably the best skirt steak I’ve had in a few years and it was a pretty good size. The enchilada came with a mole sauce. It was fine, different, but I would have liked the chile con carne better. 

Good mildly spicy green sauce. Probably my new favorite in the city. 

I also had Tacos Laguna yesterday and it slammed hard for $1 tacos. Food truck with a couple locations. 1 on Westheimer by Dumpling King and another on Fondren and Harwin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Some projects after Rodeo : 

- Side by side comparison of full on El T sit down and $1 tacos/sixer of Modelo Especial. I think it's closer than we all want to admit. 

- Standing in line at Brother's for a breakfast taco. 

- Watching @deadshank run over over Matchbox cars in his F250 in front of Gerado's. 

- Searching for a spicy green sauce/chips. Little Pappasito's regrettably took the mild route like their chain sister locations. 

- Hitting up Lopez on the way to Whiskey Cake to take down some nice bourbon. 

- More Urbe

laredo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Not Tex-Mex, but best thread for it. Gerardo’s doesn’t miss. Although I had to bring my own big red. I haven’t seen it there in a couple of years. Two tacos de barbacoa y uno de carnitas. Delicious.

628db7052a6826fbffec4bd67f3cbab5.jpg

I know I mentioned this when the BBQ thread took a slight detour into discussion of barbacoa, but Gerrado's mollejas are amazing. When I lived fairly close by and needed a break from Truth, I would pick up some cachete, carnitas, and mollejas from Gerrado's. I do wish that orange salsa had a bit more kick.  

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

I know I mentioned this when the BBQ thread took a slight detour into discussion of barbacoa, but Gerrado's mollejas are amazing. When I lived fairly close by and needed a break from Truth, I would pick up some cachete, carnitas, and mollejas from Gerrado's. I do wish that orange salsa had a bit more kick.  

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Juarez @ Gessner / Clay. New spot for an old place. My fave cheese enchiladas in hou. Their gravy is just excellent. Solid menu. Worth the stop of you’re in the area 

That place is awesome. They have what are probably the best enchiladas in Houston.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A waiter there told me to go try El Hidalguense on Longpoint. Haven’t had the chance yet. Anyone been there?

good tacos. Soooo many stops on Gessner and long point 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/28/2023 at 12:48 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Juarez @ Gessner / Clay. New spot for an old place. My fave cheese enchiladas in hou. Their gravy is just excellent. Solid menu. Worth the stop of you’re in the area 

This is less than 5 miles from my office.

Tuesday lunch...done.

Went to lunch a couple weeks ago to the tex mex place I grew up going to (La Hacienda-Memorial).  Still solid.  Cheese enchiladas, rice/beans and fountain drink for about $12

On 5/28/2023 at 9:06 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

A waiter there told me to go try El Hidalguense on Longpoint. Haven’t had the chance yet. Anyone been there?

Very close to my mothership.   It’s OK. Wasn’t overly impressed.   Maybe I didn’t get their best.  Who knows?

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m pretty sure I was asking him about good barbacoa.

Barbacoa?  There?  Then just say you going to send the Wolf!

I’m going back to investigate.   Hoping it won’t be a weekend only thing. 

You know, boys, good barbacoa is hard to get.  I think Pancho Villa said that.  

Or maybe Ben Franklin.  

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

This is less than 5 miles from my office.

Tuesday lunch...done.

Went to lunch a couple weeks ago to the tex mex place I grew up going to (La Hacienda-Memorial).  Still solid.  Cheese enchiladas, rice/beans and fountain drink for about $12

that’s a solid spot, good enchiladas. ask for the habanero salsa. It has a kick

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m pretty sure I was asking him about good barbacoa.

taqueria Cancun 

Edited by tx 3 putt

15 hours ago, deadshank said:

Very close to my mothership.   It’s OK. Wasn’t overly impressed.   Maybe I didn’t get their best.  Who knows?

Hidalguense was famous amongst the fooderati about twenty years ago as a reliable source for good cabrito. Haven’t heard or thought about it in years though. 

I used to live walking distance from la Hacienda on Memorial and we used to go pretty frequently on Friday nights when they had live music, (guy with a keyboard), but twice in a row my son’s chicken fajitas, (spare me THAT conversation please), we’re stinking bad. I mean really really bad. That was probably also fifteen or twenty years ago.  We haven’t been back since, but as they’re still in business and popular, I’m willing to concede it was obviously an aberration.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:58 PM, tx 3 putt said:

that’s a solid spot, good enchiladas. ask for the habanero salsa. It has a kick

Went to Juarez on Tuesday.  thanks for the rec, I would never have gone otherwise.  Food was great along with the habanero salsa.  Cheese enchiladas and their rice were both really good.

It's not the type of place I would go on a whim, just based on the location (new strip center), their logo (very chain-ish)

Funny, google maps took me to their old location down the street and I would've been perfectly ok eating in that old building, lol

Good stuff though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was the daughter working ?

5 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Went to Juarez on Tuesday.  thanks for the rec, I would never have gone otherwise.  Food was great along with the habanero salsa.  Cheese enchiladas and their rice were both really good.

It's not the type of place I would go on a whim, just based on the location (new strip center), their logo (very chain-ish)

Funny, google maps took me to their old location down the street and I would've been perfectly ok eating in that old building, lol

Good stuff though.

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Not, sure but I got the feeling that it was family run.  

The hostess and my waitress were both cute

extremely curvy and rude, she doesn’t dress like the staff. She might just be there on busy nights 

Edited by tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Is Juarez that much better than Chavez? When we lived in spring branch we’d go to Chavez just because their building was a little nicer lol. Will be disappointed to know if I missed out for those four years. 

we'd goto chavez every now and then, but juarez has always been better to me

Might try the new Los Tios on Buffalo Speedway tonight..I guess it's the old Buca di Beppo?
Haven't been to a Los Tios in forever.
Anyone been to the new location?
We near Rice Village but the closest location was Meyerland. Hopefully this new one in West U is good

11 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Might try the new Los Tios on Buffalo Speedway tonight..I guess it's the old Buca di Beppo?

Haven't been to a Los Tios in forever.

Anyone been to the new location?

Weird chain. Tangelwood location is very nice and their flagship (?). But the food isn’t as good as Westchase. Don’t get me started on Kirkwood.

I probably already posted it, but Pico’s on Kirby is a hidden gem. Best cheap steak/carne asada in town + an enchilada for under $25. Plus it’s almost always a ghost town in there for lunch so you can hear what the other person is saying. Pretty valuable on business lunches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Weird chain. Tangelwood location is very nice and their flagship (?). But the food isn’t as good as Westchase. Don’t get me started on Kirkwood.

I probably already posted it, but Pico’s on Kirby is a hidden gem. Best cheap steak/carne asada in town + an enchilada for under $25. Plus it’s almost always a ghost town in there for lunch so you can hear what the other person is saying. Pretty valuable on business lunches. 

Went to new location last night.  It was great.  Was able to get seats at the bar.  It's a nice buildout.  Bartenders were good. 

Manager lady had huge cans, which was an added bonus.  

We like Pico's too, we're friends with the owners daughter.

Los Tios might be our new regular spot.  We usually drive all the way to Tony's on Ella.

We're in Montrose, so surrounded by options depending on mood 😆

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Went to new location last night.  It was great.  Was able to get seats at the bar.  It's a nice buildout.  Bartenders were good. 

Manager lady had huge cans, which was an added bonus.  

We like Pico's too, we're friends with the owners daughter.

Los Tios might be our new regular spot.  We usually drive all the way to Tony's on Ella.

We're in Montrose, so surrounded by options depending on mood 😆

passed that place many times, is it good ?

I love me some calvatore's 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

passed that place many times, is it good ?

I love me some calvatore's 

Yes.  It's been our staple tex-tex, since early/mid 00's

We see friends we used to pound margaritas with, now going with their teenage kids 😆

On 5/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, tx 3 putt said:

good tacos. Soooo many stops on Gessner and long point 

I gained 20 lbs right out of college when I lived in close proximity to that area.  Solid eats at cheap prices when you first start collecting real pay checks is not good for the waistline.

• Like 1