General Gaming Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

atomheartbevo

So....this looks cool, the Super Nintendo World thing at Universal Studios.

Complete with real-life Mario Kart.

https://kotaku.com/mario-kart-ride-nintendo-world-universal-hollywood-1850059007

But as The Wall Street Journal observed in an article highlighting the limiting weight requirements, (which can be found on the official app for park navigation and line management) “Guests whose waistline is at least 40” or greater may not be accommodated on the ride.”

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Can we just make this the general "gaming news" thread? 

Just recently finished GOW Ragnarok and now pretty much all caught up on having anything new to play so will probably just be re-playing some classics for the near future. Just re-downloaded The Last of Us Remastered for another playthrough since wife and I have been watching the show.

Lot of stuff coming out this spring that I'm looking forward to playing sometime later this year:

Resident Evil 4 Remake (3/24)

Burning Shores expansion for Forbidden West (4/19)

Jedi Survivor (just pushed back 6 weeks to 4/28).

Tears of the Kingdom (5/12)

Hollow Knight: Silksong (who the fuck knows?)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:05 PM, ztejas said:

Blizzard is just protecting you from yourself. 

I Guess If You Say So GIF

It was a bit of a wash - he ended up playing Minecraft with his buddies, and then when they started losing power and he was interested, we subsequently lost power for a few days, which would have been prime playing time for him.  Somebody was trying to tell me to not let my kid get hooked on WOW.

When everything was back up and actually consistently running today to the point where I'd plug the desktop in and let him play, the first thing he wanted to do was Minecraft to see what his friends had built and whose servers were still up.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, atomheartbevo said:

And he's got a winter weather day off and will be at home tomorrow, and we talked about playing together.

Yeah, that didn't age well.

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Somebody was trying to tell me to not let my kid get hooked on WOW.

So... let him get hooked on minecraft instead? 

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

When everything was back up and actually consistently running today to the point where I'd plug the desktop in and let him play, the first thing he wanted to do was Minecraft to see what his friends had built and whose servers were still up.

Yep. There it is. 😂

Just busting your balls. If I have kids I'm sure they're going to be total gaming nerds.

This is a niche game and probably not worth starting a thread over so I'll post here - but a really good buddy of mine who I hadn't played games with in a few years just got me into Project Zomboid which is a top-down, isometric zombie survival simulation game. It's extremely in-depth and unforgiving and despite very modest graphics is huge in scale when it comes to the map and all of the items and features. I'm honestly having more fun with it than I've had with a game in a long time. 

It's a persistent environment where you start a server and whenever anyone logs off once they log back in they pick their character up right where they left off. So tonight we had a nice little session starting from a fresh server with me, him and a couple of other friends and we were making some good progress but it had gotten pretty dicey to say the least by the time the other two guys had to hop off to go to bed.

Keep in mind all of these guys have dumped a ton of hours into this game already and I've been playing for less than a week but it was unreal how quickly me and my buddy's 20+ years of experience gaming together took over as soon as those other two hopped off. It was like the neuralink got uploaded all of a sudden and everything became super efficient and goal-oriented and we started kicking ass. Not long after we got to a stopping point and decided to call it for the night I was like, "dude - they aren't gonna believe that we survived that shit and accomplished what we did in that time frame."

All that is to say - video games can be a great way to reconnect and your oldest friends are your oldest friends for a reason. We're gonna hop right back on tomorrow and either keep fucking shit up or fail miserably but it's gonna be a good time regardless. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone listen to gaming podcasts? After the whole Giant Bomb split I find myself listening to Nextlander (love their Watchcast too where they're watching the first season of Star Trek) and Jeff Gerstmann's show almost every week. Crazily enough I listen to them waaaay more often than I actually play games.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Anyone listen to gaming podcasts? After the whole Giant Bomb split I find myself listening to Nextlander (love their Watchcast too where they're watching the first season of Star Trek) and Jeff Gerstmann's show almost every week. Crazily enough I listen to them waaaay more often than I actually play games.

I listen to way more podcasts/watch more YouTube videos than I play desktop/console games, but most of it's retro videos on games from the 80s and 90s that I either never beat, or never got a chance to play at the time.  I'm fascinated by the companies/personalities from the 80s and 90s.

Team Fortress 2 getting a major update for the first time in forever.  They are looking at bringing in the most popular 3rd-party content, stuff that people have been asking for.

https://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=189493

Steam Workshop Creators, can we have your attention please. The following message is so urgent, so time-sensitive, we made the executive decision to skip TikTok and Twitter entirely and break the glass on the most bleeding-edge communication technology available.

Welcome to the future. Welcome… to a "blog-post".

"Wow!" you're probably thinking. "I forgot how hard reading is!" Yeah, it's scary how fast you lose that. Don't worry, we'll be brief:

The last few Team Fortress summer events have only been item updates. But this year, we're planning on shipping a full-on update-sized update — with items, maps, taunts, unusual effects, war paints and who knows what else?! Which means we need Steam Workshop content! YOUR Steam Workshop content!

So get to work! (Or back to work, if you were already working but got distracted when the entire internet simultaneously found out about this state-of-the-art blog-post.) Make sure to get your submissions into the Steam Workshop by May 1st, so they can be considered for this as-yet-unnamed, un-themed, but still very exciting summer-situated (but not summer-themed) (unless you wanted to develop summer-themed stuff) update.

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I set up a minecraft server on AWS for my daughter and her friend to play on. I had more fun doing that, than I ever have actually playing Minecraft.

I'm pretty twisted that way.

I'm afraid of playing Minecraft.  I feel like it'd turn into a massive time sink as I'd want to build some really big-ass stuff, or go through way too many mods looking for crazy stuff.

But I'll help my kids, setup the server, pay for the monthly realm thing, no problem.

It's crazy, my kids will play with certain kids on Bedrock/realms, but other kids it's all about the Java version.  I don't know how they keep this stuff straight.

And my oldest, even though he's not in middle school yet, he knows how to start the server, configure it, etc., and he's whipping through Minecraft terminal commands like a Linux user that's never been laid.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm afraid of playing Minecraft.  I feel like it'd turn into a massive time sink as I'd want to build some really big-ass stuff, or go through way too many mods looking for crazy stuff.

But I'll help my kids, setup the server, pay for the monthly realm thing, no problem.

It's crazy, my kids will play with certain kids on Bedrock/realms, but other kids it's all about the Java version.  I don't know how they keep this stuff straight.

And my oldest, even though he's not in middle school yet, he knows how to start the server, configure it, etc., and he's whipping through Minecraft terminal commands like a Linux user that's never been laid.

I mean, any game can be that way. The worst one for me personally is Civilization. I can't allow myself to play it. Once I start, I can't stop myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I mean, any game can be that way. The worst one for me personally is Civilization. I can't allow myself to play it. Once I start, I can't stop myself.

Yeah, but my kid has a bunch of Minecraft books, and I really want to build some big fucking things in there, and I'd end up doing really deep dives on some of the systems/materials, etc.

So yeah, like Civilization in that aspect.

WOW and UO used to be like that for me.  We've been playing around with WOW, but I can easily put it down now.  He's coming into WOW where he can do stuff on the auction house on my phone (he's figured out a few things that he's leveraged into a decent amount of gold), and he's also coming in when flying mounts are a thing, and I did not realize how much time they would save people who are at level 30 (apparently they reduced the cap requirement at some point since I had stopped playing).

New Settlers game (The Settlers: New Allies) next week.  I like the genre and was very interested in this, but holy shit it went through development hell.  It was due out a few years ago, then settled on I think March of last year, but then the beta went horribly wrong and they put it back in development (good for them, it is a flagship title that’s being rebooted).  I’m mildly optimistic although some are bitching that they ripped it apart too much when rebuilding it.

It’s on these platforms

• Microsoft Windows
  • Nintendo Switch
  • PlayStation 4
  • PlayStation 5
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox Series X/S
  • Amazon Luna

Recent dev video

Original trailer

Pharaoh: A New Era is out   A 4k remake of the original 1999 city building game from Sierra   There’s too many city building games out for me   Never thought I’d say that 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351080/Pharaoh_A_New_Era/

1999 box to jog your menory.  Comes with the expansions

Pharaoh_Coverart.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Discord playing WOW with a friend's group.  They are all casual gamers and not doing hardcore raiding or anything approaching that.

Anyways, one of the younger players asked me if I was using WASD to move around "because it's so obvious you're stuck in the past with WASD".

So apparently that's a fucking thing, because you know, having a little gray hair doesn't peg me as old-school I guess.

I told him I was playing Tribes, Quake, and Half-Life with WASD before he was born, and I have no intention of changing.

He seemed to think I was joking, but I basically had this expression.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was in Discord playing WOW with a friend's group.  They are all casual gamers and not doing hardcore raiding or anything approaching that.

Anyways, one of the younger players asked me if I was using WASD to move around "because it's so obvious you're stuck in the past with WASD".

So apparently that's a fucking thing, because you know, having a little gray hair doesn't peg me as old-school I guess.

I told him I was playing Tribes, Quake, and Half-Life with WASD before he was born, and I have no intention of changing.

He seemed to think I was joking, but I basically had this expression.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

I hot key stafe to A and D and use right click to look around so if he's talking about the default A-D that rotates your camera I don't blame him. What server are you on btw? I'm new to WOW but have experience with MMO's. Went frost mage.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

On 2/15/2023 at 9:57 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Pharaoh: A New Era is out   A 4k remake of the original 1999 city building game from Sierra   There’s too many city building games out for me   Never thought I’d say that 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351080/Pharaoh_A_New_Era/

1999 box to jog your menory.  Comes with the expansions

Pharaoh_Coverart.png

That game was a bitch and a half but it was fun. The Chinese one - emperor I think? - was good too.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I hot key stafe to A and D and use right click to look around so if he's talking about the default A-D that rotates your camera I don't blame him. What server are you on btw? I'm new to WOW but have experience with MMO's. Went frost mage.

I have mine still set to Q/E for strafing (easier for me to have Q/W/E for strafing/moving forward), and I do right-click to look around (and I usually left-click/right-click at the same time to move), but there are times where maybe it's obvious that I use the keyboard more than I use the mouse, just because of muscle memory/efficiency for me, even if it's not as precise as left-click/right-clicking to move.

Stormrage.  I picked it because it was heavily populated (it says full but never had an issue getting on).

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I have a strange key bind for any FPS game that dates back to playing Doom. My brain can't change at this point. I can't do FPS games with WASD

There's a reason for that, for some it's about keeping your fingers on the home buttons.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-wasd-became-the-standard-pc-control-scheme/

These threads will be a nice trip back down memory lane

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.computer.quake.playing/c/0-MrSVNa77g/m/3QDo3_-U8hYJ

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.computer.quake.playing/c/6XlmLuTyJyE/m/XNE43XKjxbcJ

For me it was separating strafing, forward and backward to use both hands.

I've always used A/S to strafe left and right. Left CTRL with my pinky is backwards. Right mouse button was forward.

It worked great with Doom and I got very good.

As more features were added to FPS games like melee kills, aim down sights, grenade keys, crouching, etc have been implemented it has been a little problematic but I have to work around those four movement keys.

With WASD I hate the same finger being forward and backward.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Golden Girls JRPG that is canon.

“This project is probably my biggest joke yet. But I think it makes sense that my personal project would be a really high-quality and over-the-top ironic recreation of the core systems of my favorite game series, Persona,” Pagano wrote on his website. “The game features a full-fledge battle system, dialogue system, dungeon-crawling gameplay loop, and even a calendar system!”

Golden Girls Flirting GIF by HULU

On 2/27/2023 at 2:47 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I have mine still set to Q/E for strafing (easier for me to have Q/W/E for strafing/moving forward), and I do right-click to look around (and I usually left-click/right-click at the same time to move), but there are times where maybe it's obvious that I use the keyboard more than I use the mouse, just because of muscle memory/efficiency for me, even if it's not as precise as left-click/right-clicking to move.

Stormrage.  I picked it because it was heavily populated (it says full but never had an issue getting on).

I haven’t gotten the dragon expansion but I played Shadowlands after having stopped playing for a while. I’m in the dead spot between wanting to do more than spam heroic dungeons and LFR and less than wanting to dedicate the time any more to progression raiding or do much with the hyper sweaty mythics. 

I play with a keypad and have the thumb button set so that forward is forward, back is stand still (moving backwards is an awful idea), and everything in between is either strafe right or strafe left and I turn with the mouse. It took a couple of battlegrounds back in the day to get used to it but it is so amazingly better than keyboard turning it’s like the difference between clicking to cast spells and using hotkeys. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Some new gameplay footage from Tears of the Kingdom out yesterday.

Tbh not feeling this crafting system at all. Really not why I play these games. Hopefully you don’t HAVE to in order to play the game 

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

sn28flcxezqa1.jpg?width=900&auto=webp&v=

E3 always felt like they weren't sure what they wanted to be, and who their target audience was, and it showed.  They got away with it for so long because the major players believed it was important to have a physical presence.  COVID and going to online presentations probably doomed it in the here and now, but I don't know how much longer it would (or rather will) keep going anyways, even if COVID hadn't happened.  There comes a point where devs/publishers like Nintendo and Minecraft look at the numbers when they do easier/cheaper online presentations and the rest of the industry sees that as well.  When they do that, they get to carefully control everything, and get to pump out the maximum amount of info they want, and they aren't competing with a ton of other companies when they do.

Shame, because there was some pretty awesome/hilarious things that happened at E3 that coulnd't happen in an online presentation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Any of you WoW players doing the Hardcore Classic Era stuff? Shit is pretty entertaining and challenging.

I've dipped my toes in the water briefly.  It's definitely a lot different than the vanilla wow.

For those on the fence/thinking of coming back, or who haven't upgraded yet, Blizzard has a sale on DragonFlight through May 15 - 40% off all editions, including the epic whatever ($52 I think, but comes with 30 days gametime, so easily worth it over the middle-tier).

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Any of you WoW players doing the Hardcore Classic Era stuff? Shit is pretty entertaining and challenging.

Classic hardcore server announced.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/official-classic-hardcore-is-coming/1588836

As Senior Game Producer Aggrend just confirmed on the Hardcore All-Stars stream, we’ve been working to bring official Hardcore Classic gameplay to WoW Classic. We’ve been very energized by the community’s enthusiasm for Hardcore, watching along with you, and doing a lot of Hardcore play ourselves.

We’ll let you know much more about it soon!

Also, I'm constantly getting recruited for guilds, and every time somebody is recruiting me for a "casual" guild, I ask how many times a week I'd be expected to raid, because I'm a shitty raid/PVPer type and have a screwy evening and morning schedule, it's always "oh we only raid 3-4 times a week"

chris farley what the fuck GIF

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Classic hardcore server announced.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/official-classic-hardcore-is-coming/1588836

Also, I'm constantly getting recruited for guilds, and every time somebody is recruiting me for a "casual" guild, I ask how many times a week I'd be expected to raid, because I'm a shitty raid/PVPer type and have a screwy evening and morning schedule, it's always "oh we only raid 3-4 times a week"

chris farley what the fuck GIF

What server you on?

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't really played football games since NCAA14, which I played religiously in the summer to learn player names to watch in the fall on my favorite teams.

Anyway I sat down at this arcade bar and the guy next to me pulled up Madden 23, I said hey let's play. I told em I don't play Madden much but used to play NCAA a lot, he looked at me like I was crazy and he's going to whoop my ass.

I was up 28-0 by mid 2nd quarter and he quit. 

Then a younger kid wanted to play me, said he played Madden all the time and was good. I thought he would handle me, nope, same exact results. Made em quit after he threw a pick 6 for me to go up 27 zip (he blocked my first XP somehow).

I noticed the play calling and control has been really really dumbed down. They both just kind of stayed on the "coach suggestion" tab that doesn't even let you pick formation or personell. Also there's an accelerated clock now so after you pick a play you suddenly have like 7 seconds to run it instead of being able to shift, hot route, audible ect...

The simulation and fun of controlling everything is seemingly gone now. I still was able to pick plays by formation, but damn there was only a couple sheets of 3 plays for most formations. Then you don't even have time to change routes to get an advantage on what you see presnap. 

Anyway I'm hoping it's smart football people that take over and make NCAA because Madden has been dumbed down it seems. I want a deep and complex football simulation game man it's so much fun strategizing and calling plays, the icing on the cake is fun gameplay with a really nice option RPO system.

Also you guys thinking it will be out on PC because I'm not blowing $300 or whatever on a PS5

Earlier this year I went back and finally beat Fallout New Vegas after getting drunk one night in 2010 or whatever, waking up with no idea what any of these quests were, and never picking it back up. Last week I heard a commercial or TV show or something with an Ink Spots song and now I’m playing through Fallout 3. These games are still so goddamn great, especially in a pitch black room with galaxy radio playing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2