For some reason Dire Straits was trending on Twitter

The Dog

When I was going through my first delusional I’m going to be a guitar god phase in my early teens in the early 90’s, I loved DS. I resolved that the first solo I was going to learn on my piece of shit squire strat was going to be the sultans solo. 

my dad said you may want to start with something a bit more appropriate for a beginner and I of course rejected that entire premise like a early teens boy and so my dad said FAFO. 

i made it about two hours. 

the brothers in arms album is one the cleanest record/mix/mastering jobs ever done imo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The kick in on "Money For Nothin'" always gives me the chills.

Probably once a week on my commute I listen to money for nothin and moving in stereo just for the intros. 

and select the original because I can handle some…less than flattering language…and the versions that remove or change that verse sound disjointed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Probably once a week on my commute I listen to money for nothin and moving in stereo just for the intros. 

and select the original because I can handle some…less than flattering language…and the versions that remove or change that verse sound disjointed. 

The one ISU football game I make a year, I always start the day at the Tip Top Lounge and will pay a stupid amount of money to fast track Money For Nothin' on the jukebox.  Gets the whole place amped up, even when 75% of the people in there weren't even alive when Brothers In Arms was released.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

By far my favorite Dire Straits song and this video is not bad either.

Great track (and hot video that I've never seen before).  I still play it monthly, if not weekly.  Always, always reminds me of high school riding in either Danforth's volvo wagon or Andy's woodside Olds wagon.  Heading back at dawn from downtown Chicago back to our homes in time to grab breakfast at Denny's, grab an hour of sleep, and make 9:00am church.  About the 3:00p mark is when you'd invariably stick your head out the window to feel the cool air on your face to keep you awake and take the stink off the taste of tepid, underage Old Style beers and camel lights.  This track and Lake Shore Drive (obviously) by Aliotta Haynes and Jeremiah. Will always take me back to those long Saturday nights Sophomore and Junior year of high school and riding back on the Stevenson or the Eisenhower, even when I'm old and senile.  They say smell is our strongest scent related to memory, but sometimes the song is the smell. 

(also is that Christina Applegate at the 2:14 mark?)

Y'all are doing a great job covering the early and middle stuff, which I love.  Let me throw out my favorite of their later tracks.  "Calling Elvis"

Few great inside music moments in this video.  0:14 mark.  Answering machine meant to look like an amplifier with of course how many messages---it goes to Eleven.  Also the woman in the video has a great ass.  

Finally, "Water of Love" is a tragically underrated song.  A shining example of Knopfler & Co. smashing blues, rock, and country all into one track.  

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

Haha...sorry...why the fuck did I think he's Australian?

There's a great episode of the show Brian Johnson (AC/DC) hosts called "Life On The Road" where he meets up with Knopfler in Whitley Bay, UK and they just see the sites and shoot the shit.  It's a good show, all the episodes are, really.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

FIFY (born in Scotland, raised in England)

Born in Scotland but Geordie through and through. Watch him and Brian Johnsons video walking around Newcastle, it's hilariously unintelligible.

Edit: You beat me too it lol.

Edited by G650

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

i just checked twitter's trending and got shit like "Texas Tech," "Lubbock" and "Red Raiders."

in other unrelated news, i just deleted Twitter from my phone

Texas Tech Basketball and dire straits makes perfect sense.

But here's some good Knopfler and Company anyhoo...

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Haha...sorry...why the fuck did I think he's Australian?

Because, you're racist!  

He does look like Mike Judge as posted above.  Also, kinda reminds me of Steven Wright's more normal looking older brother who formed a kickass band with his mad guitar skills.  As such, Steven took to writing bizarre jokes that only he understood and rehearsed them deadpan into a mirror and then got the Tonight Show.  And between the two of them, that's basically 80's alt.culture.  

Oh, if we're getting into Mark's work with Emmylou, starts and ends with this IMO:

and her voice is not an easy one to chime in alongside.  So warm and endearing.  Didn't realize it was Chet Atkins who introduced them 20 years earlier.  Three people who've never played guitar in my kitchen.  

Edited by YGIFS

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brian Johnson comes across as a good working class stiff who happens to be worth probably $100M or more.

Unless you have a better answer than I could find online I am stuck with clips from YT. 

I can understand them better than Peaky Blinders. I'll have to see if I can dig up a DVD.