Rodney Terry

HookEm

If he is kept as the next head coach it will be a mistake. Might not be as bad a mistake as whoever is brought in, because it’s always a roll of the dice, but a mistake nonetheless. 

He’s done a good job under difficult circumstances, but that’s exactly how he ends up as our next head coach. 

I can offer him kudos, because he deserves them, but there’s not a realistic way to separate his job performance from his chances of being kept on in the head role after this year. Pretending otherwise is exactly that. Pretending. 

Being critical of him after wins seems ungrateful. Raging about him after losses is churlish. For those of you that just want to enjoy the season and simply see the team perform as well as possible, I salute you and your approach. I do not share it, and think the likelihood that will change is slim. Hopefully we’ll make a run so deep that I won’t care what happens afterwards. It’s not like we have such a rich postseason tradition that deep runs are a matter of course here. It’d be great to share a Final Four type experience, for example, regardless of whatever misgivings I have. So I hope for the best regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Glad to have him right now under these circumstances. Still don’t think he’s the guy for the job but that’s an April issue and not a January into February issue. 

Keep the boat steady and a lower P5 job or high G5 job will be open to him 

• Hook 'Em 1

If he wins the big 12 and keeps both 5 star recruits…. that’s probably a better coaching job than than the majority of years here at Texas.  I see us playing good team basketball and he’s doing a good job with rotations and utilizing our best players.  I want to see how the season plays out.  If he finishes top 2 in the big 12 and makes it to the sweet sixteen…. Might be stupid to let him go at that point.  If he accomplishes that, Let him have another year and if he fails, then fire him.

Edited by victory88

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If he wins the big 12 and keeps both 5 star recruits…. that’s probably a better coaching job than than the majority of years here at Texas.  I see us playing good team basketball and he’s doing a good job with rotations and utilizing our best players.  I want to see how the season plays out.  If he finishes top 2 in the big 12 and makes it to the sweet sixteen…. Might be stupid to let him go at that point.  If he accomplishes that, Let him have another year and if he fails, then fire him.

He’ll get three to four years minimum after this year if he’s kept on. 3 years only if he’s truly Charlie Strong awful, which I don’t anticipate. Or he has Chris Beard level felony charges brought against him. 

He’d have to be given an extended competitive contract. He wouldn’t be able to do his job without it, and frankly there’s an element of discrimination if he’s low ballled with a one year deal. It’s not just sabotage. It’s likely illegal. He hasn’t earned the $5m+ per annum Beard was making. But he’d need to be paid at least half of that, I’d think, if not more. 

You’re not the first I’ve seen suggesting giving him a one year option. Or maybe you’re the same person repeating it. Regardless, that’s not how this works. He’s not going to be given a trial run. This is his trial run. If he’s successful enough he’ll be given every resource to win at the highest level on a permanent basis. As he should be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If he is kept as the next head coach it will be a mistake. Might not be as bad a mistake as whoever is brought in, because it’s always a roll of the dice, but a mistake nonetheless. 

He’s done a good job under difficult circumstances, but that’s exactly how he ends up as our next head coach. 

I can offer him kudos, because he deserves them, but there’s not a realistic way to separate his job performance from his chances of being kept on in the head role after this year. Pretending otherwise is exactly that. Pretending. 

Being critical of him after wins seems ungrateful. Raging about him after losses is churlish. For those of you that just want to enjoy the season and simply see the team perform as well as possible, I salute you and your approach. I do not share it, and think the likelihood that will change is slim. Hopefully we’ll make a run so deep that I won’t care what happens afterwards. It’s not like we have such a rich postseason tradition that deep runs are a matter of course here. It’d be great to share a Final Four type experience, for example, regardless of whatever misgivings I have. So I hope for the best regardless. 

I don’t follow basketball much but recently looked into Beards history after the shitstorm. I was surprised to see that outside of those 2 deep runs at tech he hasn’t really had any special seasons. His conference records at Tech were 6-12, 11-7, 14-4, 9-9, 9-8. Then 10-8 with us. Everyone on this board was acting like he was coach K or something and the program would never recover from his loss. Team seemingly is doing fine without him and Terry has racked up some big wins. If he proves he can be the next coach so be it. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I don’t follow basketball much....

Any reply I make to you likely involves information and observances that aren’t that interesting to you. If you’re good with Terry being the replacement because Beard wasn’t that great of a coach to begin with you’re entitled to that opinion. I suggest you’ll be much happier with the current and future results of the program than I will be. 

You’re not the only one who feels like maybe Beard is a tad overrated. I don’t agree, but it’s just a game, and we’re all just fans, so I don’t see the harm in that approach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I guess this will turn into the speculation thread and not the appreciation thread I had intended.

What he’s done so far is nothing more than a miracle and draws from his experience as a head coach and an assistant under Barnes and Beard. If there was a midseason COY, he’d have to be in contention for holding this together. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I guess this will turn into the speculation thread and not the appreciation thread I had intended.

My appreciation of Terry is inherently limited. It’s unfortunate we can’t control other people’s responses to our posts, but it is what it is. 

It’s the start of the thread. If Terry does well enough this thread is going to be full of all kinds of plaudits. There won’t ever be a 100% consensus, but if we all agreed on everything message boards would become boring wastelands. 

Your gesture is noted and seems entirely warranted, regardless of my feelings on the issue. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

What he’s done so far is nothing more than a miracle and draws from his experience as a head coach and an assistant under Barnes and Beard. If there was a midseason COY, he’d have to be in contention for holding this together. 

A miracle? This is one heck of a roster, a heck of a staff, and a heck of a culture Terry inherited. The miracle had already been performed when he took over. He absolutely deserves credit for it not falling apart, but Lazarus from the dead type plaudits are not exactly warranted. It’s been a team effort by everyone. If Beard gets the Kentucky job in the offseason (I don’t expect that, but hypothetically) how many of the people involved with this year’s team follow him there? I bet it would be quite a few. 

He wasn’t the architect who put this together. He’s the first mate who is trying to bring the ship to port after the captain was suddenly tossed over board. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I guess I don't understand why your appreciation is limited.  The job he has done keeping the ship afloat has been incredible. 

It could be that his skills are best suited for exactly this scenario.  Calm things down.  Take the talent that has already been developed and win games. And those skills are likely only a fraction of what is expected for a leader who will run the program for the next decade. 

So I'm capable of appreciating what he is doing, but also separating that from the decision of who our next coach will be.  They are completely different scenarios.  It is like judging a substitute teacher with the same measuring stick as the actual teacher. Completely different jobs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

A miracle? This is one heck of a roster, a heck of a staff, and a heck of a culture Terry inherited. The miracle had already been performed when he took over. He absolutely deserves credit for it not falling apart, but Lazarus from the dead type plaudits are not exactly warranted. It’s been a team effort by everyone. If Beard gets the Kentucky job in the offseason (I don’t expect that, but hypothetically) how many of the people involved with this year’s team follow him there? I bet it would be quite a few. 

He wasn’t the architect who put this together. He’s the first mate who is trying to bring the ship to port after the captain was suddenly tossed over board. 

I'd say the captain jumped over board, matey. 😉

• Hook 'Em 2

Do you want to understand it? Or would you just prefer I keep to myself and let the people who do appreciate what he’s doing monopolize the thread? 

The bottom line is it’s not possible to separate how well Terry does this year with his chances for being named the head coach at the end of the year. If you’re just fine with Terry being the head coach depending on how well he does, there’s no conflict. If it scares you to death Mack Brown style that he’s going to be our next head coach, watching this team brings about a lot of ambivalence. 

He’s not a substitute teacher for the day. He’s the guy who was the TA for high school calculus before the stud instructor was suddenly fired, and if enough of his students place out on the AP exams he gets the job permanently, even if he’s not that great of a teacher. He still deserves the opportunity, but I’m not excited at the prospect of him getting that opportunity. To me it’s pretty simple. 

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t follow basketball much but recently looked into Beards history after the shitstorm. I was surprised to see that outside of those 2 deep runs at tech he hasn’t really had any special seasons. His conference records at Tech were 6-12, 11-7, 14-4, 9-9, 9-8. Then 10-8 with us. Everyone on this board was acting like he was coach K or something and the program would never recover from his loss. Team seemingly is doing fine without him and Terry has racked up some big wins. If he proves he can be the next coach so be it. 

Over the last 5 years, there are 3 Big 12 coaches who have overall winning records in conference play: Scott Drew, Bill Self and Beard.

Hall of fame coach Bob Huggins is 30-49. Boynton is 34-45. Dixon is 31-46. Moser is 9-17. Otzelberger is 16-16. Adams is 13-14.

This conference eats coaches alive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If it scares you to death Mack Brown style that he’s going to be our next head coach, watching this team brings about a lot of ambivalence. 

I just don't understand this. This is the best team Texas has had in a long time. There shouldn't be any ambivalence about their results. This isn't the baseball program. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just don't understand this. This is the best team Texas has had in a long time. There shouldn't be any ambivalence about their results. This isn't the baseball program. 

This.  Losses suck, but we are 7-2 in the Big 12 (solo first place) halfway through.  Last night was enjoyable AF, I don't care if Rodney Terry, Derka or Chris Plonsky coached us to a win.  We haven't beaten Baylor since 2019, but I shouldn't enjoy it because Terry was coaching? 

Sure, we predict our future W/L record and all that, but futurecasting is not a reason to stop watching because we might finish 3-6 or something.  Hell, we might finish 3-6 WITH Beard, because a) The Big 12 is a hard conference and wins aren't easy and b) our schedule is backloaded.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Over the last 5 years, there are 3 Big 12 coaches who have overall winning records in conference play: Scott Drew, Bill Self and Beard.

Hall of fame coach Bob Huggins is 30-49. Boynton is 34-45. Dixon is 31-46. Moser is 9-17. Otzelberger is 16-16. Adams is 13-14.

This conference eats coaches alive.

You forgot Rodney Terry

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.  Losses suck, but we are 7-2 in the Big 12 (solo first place) halfway through.  Last night was enjoyable AF, I don't care if Rodney Terry, Derka or Chris Plonsky coached us to a win.  We haven't beaten Baylor since 2019, but I shouldn't enjoy it because Terry was coaching? 

Sure, we predict our future W/L record and all that, but futurecasting is not a reason to stop watching because we might finish 3-6 or something.  Hell, we might finish 3-6 WITH Beard, because a) The Big 12 is a hard conference and wins aren't easy and b) our schedule is backloaded.

You act as if someone is admonishing you for unadulteratedly enjoying the results from this team. Who is doing that? Am I doing that?

I’m expressing my perspective, and it happens to be different than your’s, mostly because I have stronger, long held opinions regarding Rodney Terry that the rest of you aren’t saddled with. 

But I’m not lecturing anyone for holding different beliefs than I do. Have at it. 

59 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Tech's rise and fall with Beard tells me he's not bad at the coaching thing. Our rise until he fell also indicates as much. My concerns is that Terry year 2 would look like Adams year 2.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I for one am not "scared" that Coach Terry will be our next coach.  He will not be.  Its clear that CDC looks to get home run hires.  Its what he does. I have no doubt he will look at big names with experience to fill the spot. He's got a brand new stadium to fill and keep filled.

I love what coach Terry has done thus far since Beard's firing. He's kept it going as best as he can and he's earning some well deserved respect from people outside the program.  I think when it comes to hiring, CDC will make sure Coach terry gets a nice bump to stay on if he wants. If not, he'll probably have plenty of options. Especially if he can steer us to at least a sweet 16.  My personal opinion is that the new coach will keep Terry on board and give him a very nice pay bump.

Using this as my base, it helps make this season so much more enjoyable. I'm a season ticket holder (although missed last night) and the Gonzaga, TCU, Tech games were as much fun as I've had at a Texas game in a long time.  I'm going to ride this as long as I can with Coach Terry til the end of the season.  At that point, I'll trust in CDC to make the right hire to lead us.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

this place and its constituents will never not be amazing to me.  we had a complete fucking disaster mid-ride on this season because of one person's utter emotional stupidity and immaturity and despite that, we have a top ten team that halfway through conference, is going to be sitting atop the conference alone after tonight in the hardest god damn basketball conference i can remember in a long time.  doesn't mean they will hold that spot or anything but they are competing in a way we haven't in well over a decade.  on top of that, the team is actually kind of fun to watch and very easy group of guys to like and root for.

despite that, we have dipshits that are so committed to trying to appear more basketball savvy then the rest of the board, that they claim the season's results heretofore warrant ambivalence.

ec29ff03-93d4-40ea-b4c4-25860a06eb37_tex

The only thing that will show alleged basketball savviness is hindsight. I gave up on Shaka Smart way before most people. There’s no way I enjoyed my Texas fandom during his 6 years more than those who kept thinking it would get better because of it. 

If Rodney Terry stays on as the head coach and fails, I won’t enjoy that more either. If he ends up being highly successful I’ll look like an idiot - which would absolutely be preferable. 

I’m not trying to lord over my alleged savviness over anyone. I simply have a strong opinion and am expressing it, and folks would prefer I didn’t. Which is understandable. 

5 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

I for one am not "scared" that Coach Terry will be our next coach.  He will not be.  Its clear that CDC looks to get home run hires.  Its what he does. I have no doubt he will look at big names with experience to fill the spot. He's got a brand new stadium to fill and keep filled.

I love what coach Terry has done thus far since Beard's firing. He's kept it going as best as he can and he's earning some well deserved respect from people outside the program.  I think when it comes to hiring, CDC will make sure Coach terry gets a nice bump to stay on if he wants. If not, he'll probably have plenty of options. Especially if he can steer us to at least a sweet 16.  My personal opinion is that the new coach will keep Terry on board and give him a very nice pay bump.

Using this as my base, it helps make this season so much more enjoyable. I'm a season ticket holder (although missed last night) and the Gonzaga, TCU, Tech games were as much fun as I've had at a Texas game in a long time.  I'm going to ride this as long as I can with Coach Terry til the end of the season.  At that point, I'll trust in CDC to make the right hire to lead us.  

I do not share your confidence. 

If he makes the Sweet Sixteen it will be enough of an accomplishment he’ll be seriously considered. Even more so with an Elite Eight - and rightfully so, given how few of them Texas has. 

If he makes the Final Four or better and isn’t retained, I’d argue it would be a mistake. That’s enough of an accomplishment at Texas it doesn’t matter how bad the rest of his tenure ends up being. 

I don’t understand the mentality that no matter what happens, CDC is looking elsewhere. That’s not realistic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Tech's rise and fall with Beard tells me he's not bad at the coaching thing. Our rise until he fell also indicates as much. My concerns is that Terry year 2 would look like Adams year 2.

Terry and Adams are not the same people. Terry is 12 years younger than Adams, and had successful seasons as a college HC. Adams, was 44-90 as a college head coach before taking over at Tech, and that was 24 years ago.

They are nothing alike, and saying something could happen based on two completely different scenarios is stupid. Lest we forget the ongoing rumors of Adams and his personal life overtaking his desire to coach.

This program hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 2008. Lulz, at getting rid of the coach that takes us back there.

Edited by HtownHorn

53 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He’s not a substitute teacher for the day. He’s the guy who was the TA for high school calculus before the stud instructor was suddenly fired, and if enough of his students place out on the AP exams he gets the job permanently, even if he’s not that great of a teacher. He still deserves the opportunity, but I’m not excited at the prospect of him getting that opportunity. To me it’s pretty simple. 

You're both wrong. Ain't no way Terry was a TA. More akin to a college department where he was a well-liked professor who is now the interim department head after the last one did something real stupid at the holiday party. He's run a department before, but with lowered expectations at smaller schools with limited academic prowess. Whether he can keep things at a level that brings in top scholars and heavily published lecturers at this place is another question. One that hasn't fully been answered yet. Resources and front of jersey can be a significant difference for an otherwise MOR coach.

In the end, this is an "along for the ride" season for everyone. Players, coaches, admin, fans; nobody knows what May will bring for the program. Yes, what happens in March/April(please dear baby jeebus) might be a determinative factor. But for fucks sake, put down the half empty glass, put on your burnt orange, and come along for the ride.

Ingredients are solid. Cake is in the oven. We're just waiting for the bake to judge the party. So far, Coach Terry has kept the music going and booze flowing. Enjoy the ride and minimize the Debbie Downer approach until an appropriate time.

And thank you Coach Terry for keeping me in this season. My worry that everything everywhere would fall apart did not come to fruition. March still matters.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Fair point.  Beard, like a Herman, didn't have a long and storied career.  But he really seemed like, to me anyway (and I know far far less about college hoops than I do about baseball/football), like if he really got to a bigger program, with better recruiting/facilities/support/money, that the sky would be the limit for him.  

I think this thread is fair.  At this halfway point in the conference season, absolutely nothing wrong with tipping your cap to Terry and the job he's doing thus far.  When April comes, April comes.  Right now, we're looking better heading into February than most of us thought we'd be back before Christmas.  I'm damn proud of the team and have been enjoying watching us play.  As stated above, we matched up really well with Tennessee but just never hung around so that one was tough to watch, and the KSU game was maddening and much of it is on Terry.  ISU loss, we were competitive and just lost narrowly to a really good team on a tough road trip.  

Tough back end to this slate, but pick up 1-2 wins in the conference tourney...and we're in good shape for a Top 4 seed.

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

He’d have to be given an extended competitive contract. He wouldn’t be able to do his job without it, and frankly there’s an element of discrimination if he’s low ballled with a one year deal. It’s not just sabotage. It’s likely illegal. He hasn’t earned the $5m+ per annum Beard was making. But he’d need to be paid at least half of that, I’d think, if not more. 

Wait wait wait. Are you suggesting it would be illegal for him to voluntarily sign a one year deal for relatively low pay?

I don't think that's how contracts and contract law works.

Just now, MotownHorn said:

Wait wait wait. Are you suggesting it would be illegal for him to voluntarily sign a one year deal for relatively low pay?

No no no, CDC is going to hold a gun to his head and make him sign a 1 year deal worth pennies, obviously. 

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

If we win it all this year I’d be fine with hiring him to a 5 year contract and going 10-20 every year for all those 5 years. Fuck it- let’s cut the nets down. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

If Beard gets the Kentucky job in the offseason (I don’t expect that, but hypothetically) how many of the people involved with this year’s team follow him there? I bet it would be quite a few. 

1) He ain't getting no Kentucky job in the offseason.

2) You think these people are going to follow him again? After he let everyone down? I doubt it. 

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Fair point.  Beard, like a Herman, didn't have a long and storied career.  But he really seemed like, to me anyway (and I know far far less about college hoops than I do about baseball/football), like if he really got to a bigger program, with better recruiting/facilities/support/money, that the sky would be the limit for him.  

I think this thread is fair.  At this halfway point in the conference season, absolutely nothing wrong with tipping your cap to Terry and the job he's doing thus far.  When April comes, April comes.  Right now, we're looking better heading into February than most of us thought we'd be back before Christmas.  I'm damn proud of the team and have been enjoying watching us play.  As stated above, we matched up really well with Tennessee but just never hung around so that one was tough to watch, and the KSU game was maddening and much of it is on Terry.  ISU loss, we were competitive and just lost narrowly to a really good team on a tough road trip.  

Tough back end to this slate, but pick up 1-2 wins in the conference tourney...and we're in good shape for a Top 4 seed.

Mentioning Herman and Beard together pre UT is beyond silly. That's a terrible comparison.

• Hook 'Em 2

Terry at least has the team positioned better at this point in the season than Shaka ever did in six years. Wins against TCU/Baylor and losses against KSU, ISU and Tennessee which are all ranked in the Top 15. I'd be overjoyed with wins against ISU and KU at home and a road win over Baylor or TCU out of the remaining ranked teams that Texas plays. That would build an extremely solid resume for the post season. I think Terry mops up the remaining softer competition WVU, OU and TTU, loses to KSU and KU on the road and potentially drops one of the TCU/BU games on the road.

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

1) He ain't getting no Kentucky job in the offseason.

2) You think these people are going to follow him again? After he let everyone down? I doubt it. 

We'll see. I won't remember this specific post when it becomes a possibility, but I'll remember someone saying it. When he gets his next job people are following him there. No question about it. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Mentioning Herman and Beard together pre UT is beyond silly. That's a terrible comparison.

i was trying to think of two recent hires in Big 3 men's sports who were "hot names" at the time of the hire who had recent success but weren't exactly coming off a decade of dominance at a P5 school.  There really weren't a whole lot of other options dude.  

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Tech's rise and fall with Beard tells me he's not bad at the coaching thing. Our rise until he fell also indicates as much. 

Our rise? We won the Big 12 tournament and were a 3 seed the year before he arrived.

It's not like we sucked. Shaka just completely and totally shit the bed at the wrong time. He may still have a job here if he simply fed Sims against ACU. 

Cool story bro opportunity. 

Coach Terry was the head coach of my high school alma mater, Somerville, TX. He took us to the semis of the 1994 state finals at the drum. 

https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-bracket/1993-1994-2a-boys-basketball-state-results

Krum beat the crap out of us, those white boys could ball.  Somerville is a small town of about 1,000 people. Coach Terry was there only 2 seasons.   Moved up the ranks to college coaching pretty quick after that.   He's come a long way, proud of him. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Our rise? We won the Big 12 tournament and were a 3 seed the year before he arrived.

It's not like we sucked. Shaka just completely and totally shit the bed at the wrong time. He may still have a job here if he simply fed Sims against ACU. 

Ugh, probably. Thank God he didn't. 

Fuck that dude for sucking here and then running havoc again once he left.  ASSHOLE

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I didn't say anything about him signing it. I'm saying if he does well enough to be offered the head coaching job, and all he's offered is a one year deal worth a relative pittance, to me there's a potential lawsuit for discriminatory behavior possible. I would consider it discriminatory. If he's done well enough to earn the starting job, he's done well enough to be offered a contract at a market rate. That's a multi year deal and at UT it's an annual compensation package in the millions. Again, not $5m+ a year, but not $1m a year, either. 

8 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Shaka finished 4th, 10th, T-6th, 6th, T-3rd, 3rd in the Big 12. 

We didn't suck but don't act like he was accomplishing much of anything in the Big 12. Also, the year Shaka won the Big 12 tournament Texas got a bye in the Semis against Kansas because of Covid and got a really lucky draw in the finals against Oklahoma State. 

To win the Big 12 tournament, Texas had to beat the #6 seed (Texas Tech) and #5 seed (Oklahoma State). It was more luck than anything but I was still happy for the Big 12 tournament championship. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

i was trying to think of two recent hires in Big 3 men's sports who were "hot names" at the time of the hire who had recent success but weren't exactly coming off a decade of dominance at a P5 school.  There really weren't a whole lot of other options dude.  

If that's the best you could do, it's fairer to say there weren't any options. Herman spent two years at UH. He had a nice win against Florida State in a major bowl game his first season, and some good wins in the regular season along with some unfortunate losses. He was for sure a hot name.

Beard had been a head coach for 10 years, being successful at every stop, oftentimes wildly successful, with an overtime loss in the national championship game and a separate Elite Eight finish at Texas Tech of all places, in addition to a second round finish going 30-5 in his one season at Arkansas Little Rock. He's by far the most accomplished men's college basketball coach Texas has hired in its history.

Tom Herman was not that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This year has been fun.  RT is showing me he can at least motivate and manage a team.  He’s pushed a few right buttons offensively.  He is unquestionably a downgrade defensively.  Right now I would trade a final four for 4 additional years of him.   I’d give the former at 1/10 shot and the latter a 1/2.  

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If that's the best you could do, it's fairer to say there weren't any options. Herman spent two years at UH. He had a nice win against Florida State in a major bowl game his first season, and some good wins in the regular season along with some unfortunate losses. He was for sure a hot name.

Beard had been a head coach for 10 years, being successful at every stop, oftentimes wildly successful, with an overtime loss in the national championship game and a separate Elite Eight finish at Texas Tech of all places, in addition to a second round finish going 30-5 in his one season at Arkansas Little Rock. He's by far the most accomplished men's college basketball coach Texas has hired in its history.tTom Herman was not that

Again, very fair.  I was just grabbing a quick intra-Texas comparison before Derka's next diatribe.  I was well documented questioning Herman and Sark's hires since before they were announced.  But I follow hoops the least of the three and know less about the sport itself than almost everyone on this forum.  But yeah, Beard's lack of long(er) P5 track record...the consensus was if you get him to a place like Austin with everything we can surround him with, we'd be golden.  I believed it then, I believed it this year, and knew it would have been the case down the road.  But that's all over now.  

I just wanted to chime in and say Terry's done an admirable job considering.  We have plenty of other threads to talk coaching changes in April.  I''m just proud of the team is all.  

And fuck Tom Herman.  

Edited by YGIFS

I think Terry is doing a great job. If I met him today, I would give him props and ask to buy him a bourbon neat—his choice. 

With that said, there are 2 things I’m going to continuously say:

1.) You can be happy at what Terry is doing considering the circumstances and still be concerned about the future of the program with him as the long term head coach. Those things are not mutually exclusive. 

2.) It is possible that Terry has learned from his past mistakes as a HC and can actually coach a P5 team long term. It’s also possible his coaching would be different because he’s getting a different type of athlete at Texas compared to what he could/would get at Fresno or UTEP. That could (not necessarily would) lead to different/better results. Sorry, my research brain just will not let me get away from this argument. 

Right now on their podcast, Gottlieb and Goodman are arguing about why Terry should get the permanent position should Texas do well this year. But, they are saying give him a 4-5 year deal, make him be of the lowest paid coaches in the league ($3 million), and CDC should tell him “we are going to keep you but your buyout will be extremely low.” I could actually see something like that happening. 

I have no inside sources, but I do believe when others have said this job has already garnered a lot of interest from current HCs. The question is what is CDC going to use as a barometer for the measurement of Terry in order to make a decision. It’s highly possible he’s already told Terry “bro, you’re coaching the rest of this season in order to go and get you a good job after this that isn’t in Austin.” It’s also highly possible he’s told him to do his best and we will just evaluate after the season. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Terry and Adams are not the same people. Terry is 12 years younger than Adams, and had successful seasons as a college HC. Adams, was 44-90 as a college head coach before taking over at Tech, and that was 24 years ago.

They are nothing alike, and saying something could happen based on two completely different scenarios is stupid. Lest we forget the ongoing rumors of Adams and his personal life overtaking his desire to coach.

This program hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 2008. Lulz, at getting rid of the coach that takes us back there.

Debatable. His career record at Fresno and UTEP was was 163-156 (81-91 in conf). Success in college basketball is largely gauged by success in March, and Terry made the tourney one time. I think at best you can call him an average head coach. 

One of the bigger "red flags" for me is that he chose to step down from a Div I HC gig to take a job as an assistant. Thats a pretty unusual move for a coach in his mid 50's that couldn't realistically  expect Beard's gig to open up any time soon. I guess I would like to know more about his rationale for that decision. HC at Texas is a different job than HC at UTEP, but who knows if Terry wants the gig, as stupid as that sounds. 

Still a lot of season to go, and we've seen promising starts under Shaka and Barnes go into the toilet, so I'm not gonna waste a lot of time worrying about who the coach will be next year. For now, I'm gonna enjoy watching one of the more likeable Texas squads in some time, and hope Terry continues to kick ass and we finish strong. 

Edited by Blotto