Rodney Terry

HookEm

10 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I'm no lawyer but I don't think you can sue people for offering you contracts you don't like

"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibits discriminatory employment practices, not limited to rates of pay, based on the race, color, religion, sex or national origin of the employee or applicant. 12 Title VII differs most notably from the Equal Pay Act in that Title VII is much broader, sweeping within its purview all aspects of the employment relationship, and not limited to wages as is the EPA. The proofs under both acts for pay equity issues are similar, with all of the defenses to a pay equity case available under the EPA similarly available under Title VII. For a coach to state a pay equity claim under Title VII, the aggrieved coach must establish that: (1) the coach is a member of a protected class; (2) the coach was qualified for and occupied a particular position; (3) despite the coach's qualifications, he/she was treated less favorably than a male/female counterpart; and (4) the circumstances gave rise to an inference of discrimination. 13 Upon such a showing, the burden shifts to the defendant institution to proffer a legitimate nondiscriminatory reason for the disparate treatment.' 4 The burden then shifts back to the aggrieved coach to establish that the institution's articulated reason was merely a pretext for discrimination."

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibits discriminatory employment practices, not limited to rates of pay, based on the race, color, religion, sex or national origin of the employee or applicant. 12 Title VII differs most notably from the Equal Pay Act in that Title VII is much broader, sweeping within its purview all aspects of the employment relationship, and not limited to wages as is the EPA. The proofs under both acts for pay equity issues are similar, with all of the defenses to a pay equity case available under the EPA similarly available under Title VII. For a coach to state a pay equity claim under Title VII, the aggrieved coach must establish that: (1) the coach is a member of a protected class; (2) the coach was qualified for and occupied a particular position; (3) despite the coach's qualifications, he/she was treated less favorably than a male/female counterpart; and (4) the circumstances gave rise to an inference of discrimination. 13 Upon such a showing, the burden shifts to the defendant institution to proffer a legitimate nondiscriminatory reason for the disparate treatment.' 4 The burden then shifts back to the aggrieved coach to establish that the institution's articulated reason was merely a pretext for discrimination."

If you’re gonna go retard, go full fucking retard. Respect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Debatable. His career record at Fresno and UTEP was was 163-156 (81-91 in conf). Success in college basketball is largely gauged by success in March, and Terry made the tourney one time. I think at best you can call him an average head coach. 

People keep posting his overall record without mentioning that Fresno State went 14-17 the year before he arrived and then won 20+ games in 4 of his last 5 seasons there.

Similarly UTEP was 11-20 the year before he arrived. He had a winning record in year 2 there and a .500 record in year 3, the weird COVID year.

He demonstrated an ability to improve the program at both of his previous head coaching jobs.

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Something tells me you're not a lawyer either...

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

You're saying there can't be a lawsuit. I'm saying I think that's wrong. Offering him a year deal at a pittance wage looks like clearly discriminatory behavior to me. 

It's moot, because none of that is going to happen. He's not going to be offered a year deal at a relatively pittance wage. Whether it's discriminatory or whether he'd sue is completely tangential. I'm saying it wouldn't happen. It's dumb to speculate about. But here we are arguing whether he could sue for something that's not going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You're saying there can't be a lawsuit. I'm saying I think that's wrong. Offering him a year deal at a pittance wage looks like clearly discriminatory behavior to me. 

It's moot, because none of that is going to happen. He's not going to be offered a year deal at a relatively pittance wage. Whether it's discriminatory or whether he'd sue is completely tangential. I'm saying it wouldn't happen. It's dumb to speculate about. But here we are arguing whether he could sue for something that's not going to happen. 

He's def not going to be offered this.

CDC didn't even offer Berque a one-year deal - it was a full on contract. I know BB won the NCAA title, but offering a one year contract doesn't seem like CDC's MO.  It will be a national search, and if we have a successful February/March, outside of an Elite 8 or better run, which would probably be an auto contract, Terry will get a formal interview and chance to sell his vision of the program to the decision maker. 

A one year contract is worse because Texas will be skewered if they don't renew Terry in 2024.  

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

People keep posting his overall record without mentioning that Fresno State went 14-17 the year before he arrived and then won 20+ games in 4 of his last 5 seasons there.

Similarly UTEP was 11-20 the year before he arrived. He had a winning record in year 2 there and a .500 record in year 3, the weird COVID year.

He demonstrated an ability to improve the program at both of his previous head coaching jobs.

When I think of the kind of coach I'd love to see at Texas, I drool over career .500 records and sub .500 records in conference. He took Fresno State and UTEP places they'd never been. That's for sure. 

Hire someone with Penders', Barnes', Smart's resumes or better and let's see what happens. It's hardly a guarantee of success, but there's a better chance there than with Terry. There is nothing Terry has done in his career that would make him a candidate for this job other than what he's accomplishing this season with a roster and staff he was handed. That said, if he does well enough in his extended job interview, he should be given the job. End of story. 

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think Terry is doing a great job. If I met him today, I would give him props and ask to buy him a bourbon neat—his choice. 

With that said, there are 2 things I’m going to continuously say:

1.) You can be happy at what Terry is doing considering the circumstances and still be concerned about the future of the program with him as the long term head coach. Those things are not mutually exclusive. 

2.) It is possible that Terry has learned from his past mistakes as a HC and can actually coach a P5 team long term. It’s also possible his coaching would be different because he’s getting a different type of athlete at Texas compared to what he could/would get at Fresno or UTEP. That could (not necessarily would) lead to different/better results. Sorry, my research brain just will not let me get away from this argument. 

Right now on their podcast, Gottlieb and Goodman are arguing about why Terry should get the permanent position should Texas do well this year. But, they are saying give him a 4-5 year deal, make him be of the lowest paid coaches in the league ($3 million), and CDC should tell him “we are going to keep you but your buyout will be extremely low.” I could actually see something like that happening. 

I have no inside sources, but I do believe when others have said this job has already garnered a lot of interest from current HCs. The question is what is CDC going to use as a barometer for the measurement of Terry in order to make a decision. It’s highly possible he’s already told Terry “bro, you’re coaching the rest of this season in order to go and get you a good job after this that isn’t in Austin.” It’s also highly possible he’s told him to do his best and we will just evaluate after the season. 

My concern with Terry is that this is a win or bust season. We have an overwhelmingly senior laden roster. Even if Terry does something amazing this season with these guys that doesn't really reflect if he is going to be able to rebuild a top roster and play the cutthroat game of D1 Basketball recruiting. He is obviously a very skilled and experienced head coach who can coach a team to victory. But can he run a big time D1 program? And the problem is nothing he does this season really speaks to that.

I am no big basketball guy but I am having a really good time watching his team play this year and I appreciate the amazing job he has done so far. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He's def not going to be offered this.

CDC didn't even offer Berque a one-year deal - it was a full on contract. I know BB won the NCAA title, but offering a one year contract doesn't seem like CDC's MO, outside of a really sustained March tournament run.  It will be a national search, and if we have a successful February/March, outside of an Elite 8 or better run, which would probably be an auto contract, Terry will get a formal interview and chance to sell his vision of the program to the decision maker. 

That's exactly it. 

And if he's hired, he's going to be offered a highly competitive annual salary. 

You can't even realistically sign a coach to a one year contract in college coaching. It would absolutely knee cap him in recruiting and in hiring staff. 

9 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

He coached at average schools and had average results

image.png.abe6bbc2a8dc397a4b44cca1449188c8.png

If we needed to replace Beard in the offseason rather than midseason, and Terry wasnt yet on staff, there is 0.0 chance Terry would even get an interview. He did worse at UTEP than Shaka did at UT. Obviously, things are different with him assuming the role mid-season, but he was handed the keys to a loaded team that was top 10 with one loss on the season. His performance for the past 6 weeks as interim HC at UT is certainly impressive, but his performance for the previous 10 seasons as HC is far less so. His entire career has been average, and reversion to the norm is the most likely scenario. 

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Raging about him after losses is churlish.

churlish \CHUR-lish\ adjective. 1 : of, resembling, or characteristic of a churl : vulgar. 2 : marked by a lack of civility or graciousness : surly. 3 : difficult to work with or deal with : intractable.

- Merriam/Webster

I mean, what do you expect?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

churlish \CHUR-lish\ adjective. 1 : of, resembling, or characteristic of a churl : vulgar. 2 : marked by a lack of civility or graciousness : surly. 3 : difficult to work with or deal with : intractable.

- Merriam/Webster

I mean, what do you expect?

Churlish GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

My concern with Terry is that this is a win or bust season. We have an overwhelmingly senior laden roster. Even if Terry does something amazing this season with these guys that doesn't really reflect if he is going to be able to rebuild a top roster and play the cutthroat game of D1 Basketball recruiting. He is obviously a very skilled and experienced head coach who can coach a team to victory. But can he run a big time D1 program? And the problem is nothing he does this season really speaks to that.

I am no big basketball guy but I am having a really good time watching his team play this year and I appreciate the amazing job he has done so far. 

Which is why I’m thankful CDC is a big basketball guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Which is why I’m thankful CDC is a big basketball guy.

Well I just put that in there to be in line with the purpose of the thread. To appreciate what Terry has done, which I do.

I didn't just want to leave it on the fact that even if by some miracle we do go to the Final Four, or whatever, it still might not mean keeping Terry is the right choice due to the reasons I stated. Am I wrong for having that concern? Your somewhat brutal takedown of me there suggests I am.

Edited by Valmy77

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I just put that in there to be in line with the purpose of the thread. To appreciate what Terry has done, which I do.

I didn't just want to leave it on the fact that even if by some miracle we do go to the Final Four, or whatever, it still might not mean keeping Terry is the right choice due to the reasons I stated. Am I wrong for having that concern?

Frank Martin made it to the Final Four in 2017 with South Carolina in his 5th season. He coached five more seasons at USC, never reaching the postseason again. I consider that pretty much a worst case scenario.

As down on Rodney Terry as I am, if he's able to get this team to a Final Four, that would be magical. There's a lot of bad times afterwards I'd put up with and still say, "worth it."

This team doesn't have nearly the amount of NBA talent that some of our other teams have had in the past 20 years. Then you add in the whole deal with Chris Beard. A Final Four would be a season for the ages. If they didn't keep him under that scenario something is wrong with how we approach sports in this athletic department. I don't think that's the case.

I still believe Terry would ultimately fail as the head coach at Texas, but at that point I'd be like, "doesn't matter, had sex."

We'll see. I won't remember this specific post when it becomes a possibility, but I'll remember someone saying it. When he gets his next job people are following him there. No question about it. 

I’m curious about this. I don’t know all the staff/support staff so when he moves on I’d like to read some follow up. Some will want future advancement, some will appreciate his friendship, some may not have a future at Texas. Lots of reasons that people could follow Beard including those who felt that maybe it didn’t play out quite fairly or simply believing in second chances. Then what about Terry if not provided the opportunity at Texas.

I'm curious if Terry ended up getting the job, how many of our assistants would stay on staff.  They came here to coach under Beard (for a lot of $$$). Would they stay to coach under Terry?  

One reason why Beard has been so successful is that he is a MASTER salesman.  He has been able to put together great staffs wherever he goes.  Whether or not you think Mark Adams was the right choice to be head coach at Tech, he was still an extremely accomplished Juco coach and a tremendous asset to have on the bench. 

The current Texas staff is one of the best in college hoops.  They also deserve a lot of credit in addition to Terry for the season we are having. They are certainly a lot better than Terry had at UTEP and Fresno.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Tech's rise and fall with Beard tells me he's not bad at the coaching thing. Our rise until he fell also indicates as much. My concerns is that Terry year 2 would look like Adams year 2.

Chris Beard won at fucking Angelo State.  As one who grew up in that area, I know that they have never been better than mediocre, dating to the 1960's.  He took a disintegrating roster when Shaka left, and had us in terrific shape when he and Ginger went bat shit crazy.  My take on him is that he is the real deal, but you will get some variance in results with his roster churning.

My take on Coach Terry is kind of like SLX , but more optimistic.  My only concern is getting KO'd in the Elite 8.  I think that CDC will go big even if we win 2, but maybe not at 3.  As he  said, if we get Final Four, he's earned it.  In any case, I'm rooting for them to win every game, no caveats.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Borachio said:

Cool story bro opportunity. 

Coach Terry was the head coach of my high school alma mater, Somerville, TX. He took us to the semis of the 1994 state finals at the drum. 

https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-bracket/1993-1994-2a-boys-basketball-state-results

Krum beat the crap out of us, those white boys could ball.  Somerville is a small town of about 1,000 people. Coach Terry was there only 2 seasons.   Moved up the ranks to college coaching pretty quick after that.   He's come a long way, proud of him. 🤘

He was making regular trips to Austin back then for trim.  His 6:00 in the morning practices kept his guys in line.  

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Terry and Adams are not the same people. Terry is 12 years younger than Adams, and had successful seasons as a college HC. Adams, was 44-90 as a college head coach before taking over at Tech, and that was 24 years ago.

They are nothing alike, and saying something could happen based on two completely different scenarios is stupid. Lest we forget the ongoing rumors of Adams and his personal life overtaking his desire to coach.

This program hasn't been to the Sweet 16 since 2008. Lulz, at getting rid of the coach that takes us back there.

My concern is less about X's and O's and more about getting and keeping the Jimmies and Joes.  I'm rooting for him, I just don't want to fall victim to thinking the key to program success is only determined between January and April.

Shaka finished 4th, 10th, T-6th, 6th, T-3rd, 3rd in the Big 12. 
We didn't suck but don't act like he was accomplishing much of anything in the Big 12. Also, the year Shaka won the Big 12 tournament Texas got a bye in the Semis against Kansas because of Covid and got a really lucky draw in the finals against Oklahoma State. 
To win the Big 12 tournament, Texas had to beat the #6 seed (Texas Tech) and #5 seed (Oklahoma State). It was more luck than anything but I was still happy for the Big 12 tournament championship. 

With the resources and other goodies Texas has to offer, we should never finish 10th in the league in any sport unless it’s year one and the prior coach pulled a Mack and leaves nothing in the cookie pantry

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Frank Martin made it to the Final Four in 2017 with South Carolina in his 5th season. He coached five more seasons at USC, never reaching the postseason again. I consider that pretty much a worst case scenario.

As down on Rodney Terry as I am, if he's able to get this team to a Final Four, that would be magical. There's a lot of bad times afterwards I'd put up with and still say, "worth it."

This team doesn't have nearly the amount of NBA talent that some of our other teams have had in the past 20 years. Then you add in the whole deal with Chris Beard. A Final Four would be a season for the ages. If they didn't keep him under that scenario something is wrong with how we approach sports in this athletic department. I don't think that's the case.

I still believe Terry would ultimately fail as the head coach at Texas, but at that point I'd be like, "doesn't matter, had sex."

Good thing you won’t have to worry about it. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My concern is less about X's and O's and more about getting and keeping the Jimmies and Joes.  I'm rooting for him, I just don't want to fall victim to thinking the key to program success is only determined between January and April.

Didnt Terry recruit Kevin Durant, among many others?

I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. Everyone else can pretend to be basketball savants. I'm just going to enjoy this season and cheer for these kids and this guy who seems like a great guy and a pretty good basketball coach.

There's enough bullshit going on in the world. I'm not going to overanalyze and worry about a silly game. I love sports, but they're not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

This season is one of the most enjoyable Texas basketball or football seasons in a decade. I was sold on Chris Beard but he's gone for good reason. I'm not going to "what if?" the situation. Time only moves forward.

Hook 'em Rodney!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t follow basketball much but recently looked into Beards history after the shitstorm. I was surprised to see that outside of those 2 deep runs at tech he hasn’t really had any special seasons. His conference records at Tech were 6-12, 11-7, 14-4, 9-9, 9-8. Then 10-8 with us. Everyone on this board was acting like he was coach K or something and the program would never recover from his loss. Team seemingly is doing fine without him and Terry has racked up some big wins. If he proves he can be the next coach so be it. 

essentially nobody has an outstanding resume before they get to the school where they hang their hat. Beard was/is a bona fide coaching star with potentially three decades of coaching ahead of him. he took the Texas job and left Tech in the wind because this was the school with the resources, city, and name brand to help Beard achieve everything he's capable of. he absolutely could have been our Coach K, whatever that looks like. i'd have bet huge money that he would ultimately have won a title here at Texas, and would have been a frequent visitor to the second weekend of the tourney. iirc he's got the 4th highest tourney winning % of active coaches. the loss of beard was immense. don't let a couple of minutes perusing his wiki page fool you. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, and he was the lead guy for both Holland and Johnson, and his offense is much better than what Beard threw out there due to Texas playing at a much faster pace.

Pretty sure Donewald has been responsible for the offense all season, both pre and post-Beard.

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'd have bet huge money that he would ultimately have won a title here at Texas, and would have been a frequent visitor to the second weekend of the tourney.

Well you would have lost big money when that dumbass got into a physical altercation with his fiancee that resulted in 3rd degree felony charges

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, and he was the lead guy for both Holland and Johnson, and his offense is much better than what Beard threw out there due to Texas playing at a much faster pace.

Donewald is the OC and always has been. 

Now, it could be that Terry has let Donewald be a bit more free, if that’s what you’re assuming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

@MotownHorn

Russ Springmann recruited Kevin Durant. Springmann was actually the first coach to give Durant an offer, as unbelievable as that sounds. He was instrumental in bringing Durant to Austin. Like, literally, as in we don't get a visit from Durant if Springmann hadn't been so successful at pursuing him and developing a relationship with the people around him. 

Chris Beard is the lead recruiter for every player we recruited under him. He's active in a way that few other head coaches are. Not to say Terry gets no credit, because he does. I'd also add Hunter in there. Terry has been the point man for nearly every transfer we've brought in the last two years. But Barnes allowed more independence and was less involved in different ways than Beard. 

Terry was the guy who brought the players down from Canada. So the Tristan Thompsons, Corey Josephs, et al were on him. 

Texas played at a much faster pace to start the season. That's a strange take. 

Edit: BTW, one of my favorite recruitments by Terry was Dexter Pittman. He was willing to go to bat for that guy when not everyone would have. Then Todd Wright and Pittman put in the work to reshape his body. It's one of Terry's recruitments I appreciated the most, because he went out on a limb for a player that he didn't have to, and helped change that kid's life trajectory. Also, there was a huge anti Texas sentiment in those gyms. A lot of it directed at Barnes. Terry never flinched, and loudly stood up for Barnes on every occasion. I understand in many ways why Beard valued him so much as a member of the staff. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Borachio said:

Cool story bro opportunity. 

Coach Terry was the head coach of my high school alma mater, Somerville, TX. He took us to the semis of the 1994 state finals at the drum. 

https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-bracket/1993-1994-2a-boys-basketball-state-results

Krum beat the crap out of us, those white boys could ball.  Somerville is a small town of about 1,000 people. Coach Terry was there only 2 seasons.   Moved up the ranks to college coaching pretty quick after that.   He's come a long way, proud of him. 🤘

I don't know. That is a bit of a cool story. Were you on the team? From your post it sounds like you are a former student, but not necessarily even a student at the time of the run. It doesn't matter. I was just wondering.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

His strength is definitely recruiting. I don't feel like he's the recruiting wizard others seem to think, but he's certainly a B+/A- sort at worst. He's exactly what someone like Beard needs in that role to be successful in bringing in talent. There's no doubt in my mind recruiting would take a dip from the Mitchells/Morrises/Hollands/Johnsons, but that is the aspect of program management he's going to be best at. If he's not retained as the head coach, he would be a huge asset as an assistant for whoever did take the job, just like he was for Beard. I don't know how realistic that would be, but that would be ideal, IMO. 

19 hours ago, HookEm said:

This thread is to appreciate the job this guy is doing.  He was able to take over the team under a terrible situation, with no warning, and quickly got the team through it.  I can't imagine a much bigger distraction than what was possible here.  And yet, Terry and staff have kept team largely undistracted and focused. 

At time of this OP, he is 11-3.  We are tied for first in the Big 12 through the half-way mark at 7-2  He has maintained a winning culture and has done the little things to win close games that would have been losses in previous years.

He is doing a great job with rotations and is managing all of these highly successful transfers well.  Our freshmen are playing team basketball, not hero ball like so many potential one-and-dones.  Carr is playing his best hoops and is making a case for 1st Team AA.  Brock is being maximized.  Rice is our assassin. And Hunter (likely hurt) is also getting his confidence back.

Terry has already delivered some big wins including #11 Baylor, #15 TCU, at #20 WV, #33 OSU (twice), at #37 OU  (AP and KenPom).

His three losses have all been to very good teams... at #2 Tennessee, at #13 Iowa State and #7 K-State (that one was admittedly painful).

Kudos to CDC for opening the check-book last year and building such an experienced coaching bench.  Not many teams have a staff with this much coaching depth who could step in and lead in this environment. A lot of people are focused on comparing Rodney Terry to Chris Beard.  I think that is misplaced at this point in time. 

For now, I would rather acknowledge the amazing job he is doing getting us through these troubled waters as a promoted assistant / interim head coach. We can talk about his future in the future.  For now, we are incredibly fortunate to have Terry leading the team.  

image.png.63515baca45d0c582ccc97e9c3734f16.png

Say Less Bad Luck GIF by Bridge and Tunnel on EPIX

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know. That is a bit of a cool story. Were you on the team? From your post it sounds like you are a former student, but not necessarily even a student at the time of the run. It doesn't matter. I was just wondering.  

I was on JV, a sophmore at the time. We had decent teams back then for such a small school,  but he got us to state.  He was a great coach for us.  Very personable, everyone loved him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Borachio said:

I was on JV, a sophmore at the time. We had decent teams back then for such a small school,  but he got us to state.  He was a great coach for us.  Very personable, everyone loved him. 

I'm really glad you shared. That's literally a cool story. No need to diminish it at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:28 PM, SL Xpress said:

I didn't say anything about him signing it. I'm saying if he does well enough to be offered the head coaching job, and all he's offered is a one year deal worth a relative pittance, to me there's a potential lawsuit for discriminatory behavior possible. I would consider it discriminatory. If he's done well enough to earn the starting job, he's done well enough to be offered a contract at a market rate. That's a multi year deal and at UT it's an annual compensation package in the millions. Again, not $5m+ a year, but not $1m a year, either. 

deleted

Well covered. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wouldn’t the easy counter argument be that coaching the team during the season is only half the job?  Assembling the talent (recruiting and portal) on the floor and on the bench the other half?  Terry himself was hired by beard who brought in the talent. Cunningham is all that remains from the Shaka territory and Terry’s contribution to the roster would be highly debatable. 

Simply coaching a talented roster to not fall apart is not the whole job. Plenty of failed coaches could only do one half. 

Well, the truth is I don’t get any say regardless. CDC will have the strongest voice in the room, but he’s good at getting stakeholders on board when making a major decision so there’s a general consensus on the type of investment being made. I’m absolutely positive whether Texas goes with Terry or looks in another direction it’s going to be a decision a number of people will weigh in on, none of whom will be me. 

What’s clear to me is that trying to hit another home run a la Beard a) might not be achievable b) if it is will almost certainly be more expensive than Beard was and c) probably won’t be as ideal a fit. 

The better the season Terry has the more impetus there will be to make him the permanent guy. Most fans are going to be fine with that and don’t see a big issue. I’ve felt like Cassandra on the topic of Texas sports - specifically football and basketball - on multiple occasions. Right now this feels like another one.

I’m not doing anyone any favors by expressing my opinion on the issue, but I can’t help myself. Hopefully it will only come out in streaks of posts and then I’ll return to radio silence so people can simply enjoy the team and the job Terry is doing, rather than being irritated by me expressing my convictions on Terry’s ultimate shortcomings. 

The better the season Terry has the more impetus there will be to make him the permanent guy. Most fans are going to be fine with that and don’t see a big issue.

I guess it just depends on how good the season is.  Sweet 16 or worse and I think most fans are going to think we can find better.  Elite 8 is probably where half fans want him and half want to get someone better.  Final 4 and most fans will want to keep him, including me.  Based on conversations I have had with actual UT fans who have attended a game in the last 6 months.

20 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Pretty sure Donewald has been responsible for the offense all season, both pre and post-Beard.

I get the sense that Donewald is actually the real value on staff. Gerry had an article prior to the season that Beard wanted Donewald in one of the 3 main assistant roles because he was also a really good recruiter.