Rodney Terry

HookEm

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I guess it just depends on how good the season is.  Sweet 16 or worse and I think most fans are going to think we can find better.  Elite 8 is probably where half fans want him and half want to get someone better.  Final 4 and most fans will want to keep him, including me.  Based on conversations I have had with actual UT fans who have attended a game in the last 6 months.

i only want to retain him with a title win. i really, really like him. slx has done a very good job laying out how loyal RT has been to UT and to rick barnes in particular, so you know i love the guy. but i comply cannot believe that he's the best guy we can hire, or even the 10th best guy for that matter. in my dream world RT gets himself a really good gig at a school that will back him, and we get somebody from the short list of guys who we all really really want. if we win a title, then by all means, give me the next 5+ years with RT at the helm. bout short of that, we can do way better, and we should. and fwiw, i'm coming vince's that CDC will do better, barring RT winning it all this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gerry said prior to the season that Donewald has pretty much been responsible for portal recruiting. 

If Donewald is truly the one responsible for the offense (#12 adjusted offense per Kenpom) and all the success in portal recruiting we should give him all the money as an assistant. 

I remember reading about Beard handing over the offense to Donewald to allow Beard to focus on the defensive side a bit more. Gave him the freedom to install / inject new ideas and eliminate some of the rigidity. 

I can't speak to Donewald's recruiting. I do believe he has a good offensive mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Chris Beard was extremely active in every recruitment, even moreso than most coaches. That said, I know for a fact Terry was a big part of the communications with Tyrese Hunter. 

I don’t know what it means for Donewald to be responsible for recruiting from the portal. Could be he was the one who sent out the initial message to all potential targets. But I feel quite confident Texas would have landed every one of their portal targets whether Donewald had been on staff or not. 

Donewald’s expertise was/is in player development and international connections.  And the offense this year. But Beard bragged about him as his best player development guy with some frequency. 

Funny, I was just about to post that I'm revising my list of qualifications for me to support a Terry offer.

If he wins the Big 12 outright, all he needs to do is make the Sweet 16 for me to give him a chance.  In 27 seasons, we have only won the Big-12 outright a single time, in 1999. If he is able to do that this year, with all of the Chris Beard distraction, with the conference as deep as it has ever been, that is a tremendous accomplishment.  Make it to the 2nd weekend in this scenario and I am on board.

If we tie for the Big 12 title, or win the Big 12 Tourney, then he is going to need to make the Elite 8 for me.  Any less than that and I am going to want to see a Final Four.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If we win the conference and make the sweet 16, does he come back and do you think he deserves to come back?

Lulz. Please name the year Texas last made the Sweet 16. You people are acting like Texas is some great powerhouse in basketball. If Terry makes it to the 2nd weekend, Del Conte should have a new contract signed before the team plays that game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Funny, I was just about to post that I'm revising my list of qualifications for me to support a Terry offer.

If he wins the Big 12 outright, all he needs to do is make the Sweet 16 for me to give him a chance.  In 27 seasons, we have only won the Big-12 outright a single time, in 1999. If he is able to do that this year, with all of the Chris Beard distraction, with the conference as deep as it has ever been, that is a tremendous accomplishment.  Make it to the 2nd weekend in this scenario and I am on board.

If we tie for the Big 12 title, or win the Big 12 Tourney, then he is going to need to make the Elite 8 for me.  Any less than that and I am going to want to see a Final Four.

So, the only way for you to support Terry is for him to do something that no coach in Texas history has ever done. Do you realize how fucking stupid you sound?

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm supporting him right now as hard as I can.  I want him to do well enough that we make him an offer. 

But surely you realize he had a 163-156 D-1 head coaching record before coming to Texas.  The bar is pretty damn high for me to overlook his other 10 years of coaching. 

Since you disagree with my assessment, please tell us what you think he needs to do to earn the job.

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. Please name the year Texas last made the Sweet 16. You people are acting like Texas is some great powerhouse in basketball. If Terry makes it to the 2nd weekend, Del Conte should have a new contract signed before the team plays that game.

That’s what I’m saying.   If he wins the conference, and when was the last time we actually won the conference outright, makes sweet 16, and has player-alum-recruit support, you’re gonna ask him to leave?  Ok

Frankly, he's already earned it in my eyes. For this team to still be playing high level basketball at this point in the season with all the off-court distractions tells me he's really good. I just find it hilarious that Terry's only shot in most of this forum's eyes is to do something no coach at Texas has ever done.

Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of active coaches in the P6 conferences that have won an outright regular season championship + a S16 or a tournament championship + E8 can be counted on two hands.

He hasn't earned "it" by keeping the team from falling apart. The team is highly talented and was already playing at a high level, if not better, before the Beard debacle. If you want to reward him for this, pay him a bonus. The permanent head coaching job is forward looking. It should consider his ability to replicate or exceed this year's performance going forward, and given his career head coaching credentials, I don't think you can make that call.

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Frankly, he's already earned it in my eyes

So if we go 0-fer in Lawrence, Manhattan, Lubbock, Waco, drop the home game to KU and finish 4-5, he still does?

Hes going to have an 18 game Big 12 resume so let’s not declare him “earned it” halfway through yet. 

He also has to sell a vision to CDC of how he will rebuild this team next year bc we lose Carr, Allen, Disu, Rice and Bishop for sure and Hunter has been halfway out the door since Beard was suspended. 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, HookEm said:

this roster and team is one of the handful of elite rosters/teams in America. judging whether or not we should hire a guy based on how he does with the best roster he could possibly ever have is not wise. the only things terry could do to make me want him as our HC, or to deserve the job would be A)winning the national title, or B)going back in time and become a much, much better HC over the last decade +, the kind of coach who doesn't leave a head coaching job to go be an assistant somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 7

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Frankly, he's already earned it in my eyes. For this team to still be playing high level basketball at this point in the season with all the off-court distractions tells me he's really good. I just find it hilarious that Terry's only shot in most of this forum's eyes is to do something no coach at Texas has ever done.

Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of active coaches in the P6 conferences that have won an outright regular season championship + a S16 or a tournament championship + E8 can be counted on two hands.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So if we go 0-fer in Lawrence, Manhattan, Lubbock, Waco, drop the home game to KU and finish 4-5, he still does?

Hes going to have an 18 game Big 12 resume so let’s not declare him “earned it” halfway through yet. 

He also has to sell a vision to CDC of how he will rebuild this team next year bc we lose Carr, Allen, Disu, Rice and Bishop for sure and Hunter has been halfway out the door since Beard was suspended. 

Yeah, maybe we should finish the season and watch what results transpire before anointing RT.

Again, you can simultaneously love this team, root for them, and uphold RT for holding everything together while still desiring a more proven commodity for the years ahead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

less than two years ago when the UT HC job became available, Rodney Terry was a million miles away from being in consideration for the job. he and i literally had the exact same chance of getting the Texas job. since then, Terry has left his HC job to become an assistant, then taken over as interim HC where has irrefutably seen his team's performance regress from where it was when he took over. 

what am i missing here? what's happened that i'm not aware of in the last ~21 months that's propelled terry from being as much of a contender for the UT job as you or i, to now being a legit candidate, if not the preferred candidate? this is just totally baffling to me how many people either already want him as our next HC, or who say, "well if he does A, B, and C with this immaculate roster then we should hire him". 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That’s where you and I differ.  Beating baylor and tech isn’t gonna get me there.  Win the conference and sweet 16, I think we’d have a hard time giving him the boot

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

less than two years ago when the UT HC job became available, Rodney Terry was a million miles away from being in consideration for the job. he and i literally had the exact same chance of getting the Texas job. since then, Terry has left his HC job to become an assistant, then taken over as interim HC where has irrefutably seen his team's performance regress from where it was when he took over. 

what am i missing here? what's happened that i'm not aware of in the last ~21 months that's propelled terry from being as much of a contender for the UT job as you or i, to now being a legit candidate, if not the preferred candidate? this is just totally baffling to me how many people either already want him as our next HC, or who say, "well if he does A, B, and C with this immaculate roster then we should hire him". 

Our fans who clamor for the next flash in the pan coach to be hired are the first to blame our admins for making bad coaching hires. We don't want a Herman or Strong getting the job when the program clearly is on an upward trajectory due to Beard establishing a winning culture. Gotta hire someone who can keep it going.

Edited by UTEE97

On 2/2/2023 at 7:20 PM, SL Xpress said:

Chris Beard was extremely active in every recruitment, even moreso than most coaches. That said, I know for a fact Terry was a big part of the communications with Tyrese Hunter. 

I don’t know what it means for Donewald to be responsible for recruiting from the portal. Could be he was the one who sent out the initial message to all potential targets. But I feel quite confident Texas would have landed every one of their portal targets whether Donewald had been on staff or not. 

Donewald’s expertise was/is in player development and international connections.  And the offense this year. But Beard bragged about him as his best player development guy with some frequency. 

Donewald has experience overseas which is what I remember Gerry specifically highlighting about him in terms of recruiting efforts.  I'm not sure that he had more portal responsibility over any other assistant, but I could be wrong. Beard himself was the expert in that area from my reading of things. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Our fans who clamor for the next flash in the pan coach to be hired are the first to blame our admins for making bad coaching hires. We don't want a Herman or Strong getting the job when the program clearly is on an upward trajectory due to Beard establishing a winning culture. Gotta hire someone who can keep it going.

So, hire a good coach. I’m in.

55 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Donewald has experience overseas which is what I remember Gerry specifically highlighting about him in terms of recruiting efforts.  I'm not sure that he had more portal responsibility over any other assistant, but I could be wrong. Beard himself was the expert in that area from my reading of things. 

Yeah, not just any kind of experience. He was the head coach of the national team for China for a few years. He had Yao Ming's blessing. Also the Ukrainian National Team. Some NBA experience. He's got a varied resume for sure. 

Of course, we haven't brought anyone in with international experience yet, but that's a really tough journey that can take a while to develop, so I haven't exactly been upset about it or anything. I've always loved having him on the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Consecutive wins against the #11 and #7 teams in the country sitting on top of the Big 12 standings, pretty damn good feeling. Terry as an interim is doing more than that clown Shaka did in six years. Three wins over Top 15 teams with a crack at a fourth coming up next.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

Then you can kiss the tx bball program goodbye. Terry is not hc material. Hiring him would be the feel good move...but you would have to fire him in 3 years 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The same can be said for you wanting to retain him only if he wins a national title. Your butt buddy Rick has yet to do this but you still gargle his marbles daily.

Terry may flame out and this will be a moo point but chalking up his candidacy as a lost cause without giving him a chance is asinine.

• Hook 'Em 2

Then you can kiss the tx bball program goodbye. Terry is not hc material. Hiring him would be the feel good move...but you would have to fire him in 3 years 

Maybe. Maybe not. Access to talent is as important as X’s and O’s and currently the HC at Texas has that.

None of the names thrown around have moved the needle anywhere in the same universe that the Beard hire did. All of them are flawed in some respect and none of them are sure things.

If this season continues the way it has and ends the way we want it to then the program can survive having Rodney Terry for a couple of years and see what happens.

It’s very unlikely we’ll be nearly as good next year even if we had Bobbyjohn Knightwooden as coach. Whoever the next coach is will need some portal help to replace the experienced players we lose.

Bottom line…if the “cost” of a magical 22-23 season is Rodney Terry getting a shot at HC, then I’m buying
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

The same can be said for you wanting to retain him only if he wins a national title. Your butt buddy Rick has yet to do this but you still gargle his marbles daily.

Terry may flame out and this will be a moo point but chalking up his candidacy as a lost cause without giving him a chance is asinine.

RT has had a long career in coaching, and has more than enough of a body of work to know that the Texas job is above his level. it really is that simple.

22 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Yes, the program ends the day Terry is named the head coach. This is fucking hilarious.

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Mr. Del Conte, Derka is on line one, and wants to talk about the next basketball hire."

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

well, considering that i was calling for mick cronin and/or eric musselman to replace shaka smart 4 years ago (while most of y'all were still pissed at me and wulaw for wanting shaka gone), i'd say my track record on this subject is pretty awesome. 

for all of the people who oppose my take, answer me this:

if UTEP hires RT to be their HC after this season, what does RT do with the UTEP program? do they start winning the conference regularly? winning tourney games? snatching the random high 4* from D/FW or Houston? what does UTEP become if Rodney Terry takes over the program starting next season? 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

for all of the people who so behemoth oppose my take, answer me this:

if UTEP hires RT to be their HC after this season, what does RT do with the UTEP program? do they start winning the conference regularly? winning tourney games? snatching the random high 4* from D/FW or Houston? what does UTEP become if Rodney Terry takes over the program starting next season? 

Yes, let’s answer your hypothetical questions about UTEP instead of watching what we does with the team he has right now. Fucking Mensa material.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

for all of the people who oppose my take, answer me this:

Actually, that has little or nothing to do with how he would do next year at Texas. There are built-in advantages and resources at UT now that don’t exist at places like UTEP or Fresno.

I’m not on some Hire Terry No Matter What bandwagon…but I do think it’s silly to preclude to possibly of doing so as MAYBE being the right decision and to declare doing so as Program suicide.

42 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Props for correctly using...

"moo"

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Actually, that has little or nothing to do with how he would do next year at Texas. 

which is not the point. i ask the question, because i want to see if your prognostication of Terry at UTEP going forward results in him looking like a bona fide candidate for a job like this one. because i don't think it does. i don't think it comes even close if i'm being honest, and that's even with Terry having some extra cache after doing well this year at Texas.

now then- let's say UTEP hired chris beard to be their coach next year. does chris beard, 3-4 years down the road, have the kind of success that says, "Texas should hire this guy"? you and i both know the answer is yes. 

if chris beard had RT's restraint and judgment he'd still be here, and if RT had chris beard's head coaching ability then he'd be a high profile HC somewhere else by now. y'all are getting caught up in the romance of this season, and just completely ignoring the previous 20+ years of Rodney Terry's coaching career. you're letting your emotions cloud any sort of judgment or pragmatism you may otherwise have.

• Hook 'Em 1