Rodney Terry

HookEm

20 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Yes, let’s answer your hypothetical questions about UTEP instead of watching what we does with the team he has right now. Fucking Mensa material.

He sucked at Fresno!   He can’t win here!

but he is winning here.  Again if he wins the big 12 and two rounds in the tourney, he has a case. Players rallied around him rather than quit. Lots of turmoil to inherit.  I’m not saying he should be coach just yet

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Hmmm.  Emotions clouding judgment, you say.

Emotions or results?  The guy is winning

I want this team to win it all. If they do, fuck it, hire him. I love the players and wanna see them win. And i know RT is doing everything he can to help and is showing us some great leadership. He's doing his job adequately.

But i can guarantee you that no elite program would ever hire the guy to be their HC. So why should we. He's coaching a roster of really experienced players. It's a very unique circumstance. He is not the person that built this team.

• Hook 'Em 6

which is not the point. i ask the question, because i want to see if your prognostication of Terry at UTEP going forward results in him looking like a bona fide candidate for a job like this one. because i don't think it does. i don't think it comes even close if i'm being honest, and that's even with Terry having some extra cache after doing well this year at Texas.
now then- let's say UTEP hired chris beard to be their coach next year. does chris beard, 3-4 years down the road, have the kind of success that says, "Texas should hire this guy"? you and i both know the answer is yes. 
if chris beard had RT's restraint and judgment he'd still be here, and if RT had chris beard's head coaching ability then he'd be a high profile HC somewhere else by now. y'all are getting caught up in the romance of this season, and just completely ignoring the previous 20+ years of Rodney Terry's coaching career. you're letting your emotions cloud any sort of judgment or pragmatism you may otherwise have.

Really not trying to argue…in a vacuum, Terry isn’t in the same category as Beard, and is never going to come out on top for a Top 15 program.

But we aren’t in a vacuum. We are in a very unique situation, in which we’ve maintained a certain level of success, and he’s the man in charge. That counts for something (as we finish that way)!
which is not the point. i ask the question, because i want to see if your prognostication of Terry at UTEP going forward results in him looking like a bona fide candidate for a job like this one. because i don't think it does. i don't think it comes even close if i'm being honest, and that's even with Terry having some extra cache after doing well this year at Texas.
now then- let's say UTEP hired chris beard to be their coach next year. does chris beard, 3-4 years down the road, have the kind of success that says, "Texas should hire this guy"? you and i both know the answer is yes. 
if chris beard had RT's restraint and judgment he'd still be here, and if RT had chris beard's head coaching ability then he'd be a high profile HC somewhere else by now. y'all are getting caught up in the romance of this season, and just completely ignoring the previous 20+ years of Rodney Terry's coaching career. you're letting your emotions cloud any sort of judgment or pragmatism you may otherwise have.

Really not trying to argue…in a vacuum, Terry isn’t in the same category as Beard, and is never going to come out on top for a Top 15 program.

But we aren’t in a vacuum. We are in a very unique situation, in which we’ve maintained a certain level of success, and he’s the man in charge. That counts for something (as we finish that way)!
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

it definitely counts for something. i don't want to come off as hating on RT, because i love the guy, and i wish him all of the success in the future, no matter where that is. i'm just trying myself not to get so caught up in how much i love this team (and how they've played under RT) that i lose sight of what i believe about the level of the Texas job (i think it's a top 5 job in the country), and what our standard should be when making our next hire.

as for RT, i actually think he should be in co side ration for national coach of the year at this point, and if Texas were to win the Big XII then, with all due respect to matt painter, shaka smart, mick cronin, etc, i don't see how you could vote for anyone else. RT has exceeded expectations given how shitty a shit jar ion he stepped into. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I appreciate what Terry has done in very difficult circumstances that nobody anticipated going into the season.  The team has stabilized and is performing well.  He deserves credit for that.  He also has a team full of experienced players who have been around the block and have learned how to manage adversity.  He did not build this team and he did not create the culture.  He is playing the hand he is dealt and is playing it well.  The skill set of stepping in to maintain something someone else built and the skill set of leading all facets of a program are very, very different.  For better or for worse, Terry has not demonstrated that as the leader of a program he can be anything better than mediocre.  Some guys are fantastic assistants and just aren't cut out to be fantastic head coaches.  Terry appears to be that.  If he isn't, he needs to prove that at a program that isn't Texas.

Honestly, even if Terry would win the national championship, I wouldn't want him to be the head coach.  Getting hot at the right time and guiding a team of upperclassmen to 6 wins isn't enough.  I'm not naïve, and if he did manage to pull it off I'd fully expect him to get the job and I wouldn't complain.

How is Texas Tech feeling about Mark Adams in Year 2?  Year 1 went well enough with Beard's players and with Beard's culture still mostly instilled.  One year later and things are starting to look much different.  The things Beard did well - and the things that make top head coaches so valuable - are not easy to find.

• Hook 'Em 7

Coach Terry's record this year doesn't say anything about his potential success going forward. There is a subset of fans who wants to hire Terry as the permanent head coach after every win. That's very short sighted imo. He deserves all our praise for the job he is doing on an interim basis, but the job next year and onwards will be vastly different that will involve building a winning roster and off-season planning and coaching that will lay the groundwork for next season. For this season, this work was already done by Beard. Can Terry be the guy to build a winning roster when he doesn't have someone like Beard above him? That's the question CDC needs to ask.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, someguy said:

I appreciate what Terry has done in very difficult circumstances that nobody anticipated going into the season.  The team has stabilized and is performing well.  He deserves credit for that.  He also has a team full of experienced players who have been around the block and have learned how to manage adversity.  He did not build this team and he did not create the culture.  He is playing the hand he is dealt and is playing it well.  The skill set of stepping in to maintain something someone else built and the skill set of leading all facets of a program are very, very different.  For better or for worse, Terry has not demonstrated that as the leader of a program he can be anything better than mediocre.  Some guys are fantastic assistants and just aren't cut out to be fantastic head coaches.  Terry appears to be that.  If he isn't, he needs to prove that at a program that isn't Texas.

Honestly, even if Terry would win the national championship, I wouldn't want him to be the head coach.  Getting hot at the right time and guiding a team of upperclassmen to 6 wins isn't enough.  I'm not naïve, and if he did manage to pull it off I'd fully expect him to get the job and I wouldn't complain.

How is Texas Tech feeling about Mark Adams in Year 2?  Year 1 went well enough with Beard's players and with Beard's culture still mostly instilled.  One year later and things are starting to look much different.  The things Beard did well - and the things that make top head coaches so valuable - are not easy to find.

Won 27 his first year which was 9 better than beard in 2020 and 2021.  Didn’t win the conference though 

24 minutes ago, someguy said:

Adams isn’t a good recruiter, had won something ridiculous like 32% of his games as a head coach before taking over Tech and was a poor fit as a head coach.

I’m not banging the drum for Terry but he coaches/recruits circles around Adams and is way more highly thought of than Adams was. Beard wouldn’t have brought Terry on in a “co-head coach” role if he didn’t think the guy could bring something significant to the table.

The two situations are not comparable imo.

Edited by Hookem2147

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Adams isn’t a good recruiter, had won something ridiculous like 32% of his games as a head coach before taking over Tech and was a poor fit as a head coach.

I’m not banging the drum for Terry but he coaches/recruits circles around Adams and is way more highly thought of than Adams was. Beard wouldn’t have brought Terry on in a “co-head coach” role if he didn’t think the guy could bring something significant to the table.

The two situations are not comparable imo.

Wut?

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Wut?

What’s confusing about it? Texas Tech’s motivation for their next hire was to try to stick it to Chris Beard. Bob Donewald was a more impactful assistant/recruiter than Mark freaking Adams on that staff. The two situations and coaches are not remotely similar.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

What’s confusing about it? Texas Tech’s motivation for their next hire was to try to stick it to Chris Beard. The two situations and coaches are not remotely similar.

In all the games I watched with Beard as head coach(basically every game he coached here), I never heard Terry referred to as co-head coach, thats all. Maybe I missed it, lulz. 

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

In all the games I watched with Beard as head coach(basically every game he coached here), I never heard Terry referred to as co-head coach, thats all. Maybe I missed it, lulz. 

Terry mentioned it a few weeks back. When Beard talked to him about leaving UTEP it was to come be in a “co-head coach” type role at Texas where Beard would oversee the offense with Donewald and Terry would focus on the defense.

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He was given the title of Associate head coach.  He's the interim coach for a reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Half the football staff is called "Associate Head Coach for ........."  The title means they can qualify for more pay under some bizarre compensation brackets the BoR set up years ago.  To be fair, most P5 programs do this now in most men's sports.  

Having said that.  Congrats on tonight's win Coach..................

PUT IT IN FORWARD TERRY!  PUT IT IN FORWARD.  AW LORD JESUS!  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Again, offer him a 5 million/one year contract at the end of the season. That way at least we can see what other names pop up this time next year

not real excited with this years freshman crop of coaches, tbh

Say man, you're a freshman.  How's the new crop of freshman coaches looking, huh?  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Again, offer him a 5 million/one year contract at the end of the season. That way at least we can see what other names pop up this time next year

No one would do that. No coach would accept that. You cannot say “we want to wait a year to see what our options are” as that is unbelievably dumb.

This staff wouldn’t stay. Our recruits would leave.

Stop suggesting this idiotic idea and be okay with the fact that you don’t know what you’re talking about here. Just sit back and enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

he wasn't, and it is ridiculous to believe otherwise.  Beard was the singular presence setting the tone and direction of the program.  He certainly sought and obtained top assistants and was willing to delegate, but in no way, shape, or form was there any kind of "co-head coach" as far as who was in charge of the program.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Terry mentioned it a few weeks back. When Beard talked to him about leaving UTEP it was to come be in a “co-head coach” type role at Texas where Beard would oversee the offense with Donewald and Terry would focus on the defense.

14 minutes ago, cafe society said:

The idea of the one-year contract is moronic.  So is the notion that RT was “co-head coach” with Beard.  Seriously, people.  We’re all thrilled with the wins - thrilled and surprised - but let’s not act like the dumb schmuck who proposes to the first girl who blew him.  

9 minutes ago, someguy said:

he wasn't, and it is ridiculous to believe otherwise.  Beard was the singular presence setting the tone and direction of the program.  He certainly sought and obtained top assistants and was willing to delegate, but in no way, shape, or form was there any kind of "co-head coach" as far as who was in charge of the program.

The co-head coach thing is not correct. I'm pretty sure the bolded portion isn't either. Beard gave leeway to Donewald to open up the offense this season.

I’m not trying to say that Terry’s voice held equal weight as Beard’s and that he was making program level decisions, but he was obviously brought on in a role where he was viewed as more than just a typical assistant or “associate” head coach for pay purposes.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This says “originally pitched.”

Your previous post implies that’s what his title actually was, and it was not. 

Because no team would ever publicly hand out co head coach titles because that’s weird and not something you publicize on a website or job directory. Your “title” and role/responsibilities can differ.

Yes, he was “originally pitched” on the idea, talks openly about it and then ended up here. So are you saying he ended up declining and taking on a lesser role?

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

That’s worse than Derka’s national title or bust idea. What better way to set Terry up for success than to give him a de facto lame duck deal for one year. Christ.

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Because no team would ever publicly hand out co head coach titles because that’s weird and not something you publicize on a website or job directory. Your “title” and role/responsibilities can differ.

Yes, he was “originally pitched” on the idea, talks openly about it and then ended up here. So are you saying he ended up declining and taking on a lesser role?

It’s not something publicized because it’s not a thing. I’m saying Terry was the associate head coach which means he was the person by title/leadership to become the Acting then Interim. That’s all. 

I’m not sure why this is such a big deal to you.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Whose word apart from RT’s do we have about this so-called pitch?  “Rodney Terry mentions…”.   You seem obsessed by hearsay that originated from the person whose reputation gains a boost from its proliferation.

59 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

That’s worse than Derka’s national title or bust idea. What better way to set Terry up for success than to give him a de facto lame duck deal for one year. Christ.

you keep bitching about everyone else's ideas. do you have any ideas of your own?

50 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s not something publicized because it’s not a thing. I’m saying Terry was the associate head coach which means he was the person by title/leadership to become the Acting then Interim. That’s all. 

I’m not sure why this is such a big deal to you.

because he's a hostile, angry, inexplicably pro-Terry idiot. 

It’s a strange spot for CDC to be in for sure.  Who’s your big targets? Call Jay Wright?  Calipari (FUCK this)?  Can we be sure that Oats or Muss bring more to the table?  

If Terry makes an elite 8 or deeper run, he’ll be given a shot I think.  It’ll be quite a story to follow. 

also, just to re-emphasize, FUCK Calipari. 

My .02. I recognize that things can change overnight but as of today, I have no Problems if Coach Terry is the current leader. Quite honestly, he has done more with this team than Coach Beard did. 

Not trying to be rude to anyone but there's a lot of nonsense on this thread. Who cares about the co-coach crap. Quite often, titles are given so a coach can get more money. AS far as constructing the team, no one on this board unless you're part of the current team knows what Coach Terry's involvement has been. Maybe it's minimal or maybe it's substantial. Do you think he might have taken a role in getting Rice to UT considering his UTEP teams played NMSU every year.

It's also nonsense to try to compare his time at Fresno and UTEP with Austin. I will admit that it's probably tougher to recruit to Austin than either Fresno and El Paso and I suspect that his bball budget was probably greater at those 2 schools. 

And the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

FIRST TIME:

SECOND TIME:

QUESTION:

What’s the difference between “unique” and “very unique”?

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

If the dude leads the team to Sweet16 or Final4 run, he should be given a contract offer commiserate with a sweet16 or final4 coach. Crazy take? Why?
I mean its new landscape in college bball. Sounds like sustainability from a recruiting perspective is most folks concern. But its not McD’s AAs he’d need to be successful. it’s attracting the top portal talent on a yr 2 yr basis. And I’d imagine with what he’d have to offer, he’d keep that type of player coming!

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There’s no such thing as a co-head coach. He’s an assistant. He gets the title of Associate because it pays. He’s still an assistant coach.

7 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Better than multiple years with someone who sucks. 

Just my opinion

Next year is rebuilding no matter what so I do get the logic to find the next guy asap

If you think one year is possible then you don’t understand college basketball coaching or recruiting 

16 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Access to talent is as important as X’s and O’s and currently the HC at Texas has that.

None of the names thrown around have moved the needle anywhere in the same universe that the Beard hire did. All of them are flawed in some respect and none of them are sure things.

If this season continues the way it has and ends the way we want it to then the program can survive having Rodney Terry for a couple of years and see what happens.

It’s very unlikely we’ll be nearly as good next year even if we had Bobbyjohn Knightwooden as coach. Whoever the next coach is will need some portal help to replace the experienced players we lose.

Bottom line…if the “cost” of a magical 22-23 season is Rodney Terry getting a shot at HC, then I’m buying

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

QUESTION:

What’s the difference in the meaning between “unique” and “very unique”?

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

8 hours ago, realgreggym said:

very

I apologize for not being specific enough.

If one were to explain the difference in the meaning of "very unique" vs "unique" to an educated person, how would someone explain the difference in the meaning of those two expressions?

(Asking for the educated people.)

Thanks.

When I hear Terry talk, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. He sounds worse than mumbling "when you look over there" Strong. Of the top of my head, I can't think of any other HC from a top tier program who doesn't speak reasonably well. He sounds like an assistant who might be good at certain aspect of the game but not fit to lead the entire program.

Before someone says he has led this team well so far, I would argue that this is as much a player-led team as it's lead by the HC. Most of the players were leaders in the teams they came from, so that makes it easy. You can see it during the timeouts and game breaks. They don't rely on the HC to tell them what to do during the game.

One thing I am really pleased with is Carr not playing the hero ball as much as he was playing when Beard was the coach. I don't know if it's Terry or his teammates or him finally realizing he needs to trust his teammates.

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Field of 68 interviewed Terry after the game. Running it now:

I thought this was well stated: If Terry was the HC still at UTEP or Fresno, he wouldn’t even be looked at for the HC position at Texas. But because of this situation and what he’s done, you have to at least give him an interview even if he’s not your top choice. 

It brings up the most important point in that context must be considered with nearly everything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

When I hear Terry talk, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. He sounds worse than mumbling "when you look over there" Strong. Of the top of my head, I can't think of any other HC from a top tier program who doesn't speak reasonably well.

racist comedy central GIF

• Haha 3