Rodney Terry

HookEm

10 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

When I hear Terry talk, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. He sounds worse than mumbling "when you look over there" Strong. Of the top of my head, I can't think of any other HC from a top tier program who doesn't speak reasonably well. He sounds like an assistant who might be good at certain aspect of the game but not fit to lead the entire program.

I’m all for hearing arguments from all sides but this is a reach, at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m all for hearing arguments from all sides but this is a reach, at best.

Have you heard him talk in interviews or locker room, and if you did, did you feel like he was communicating well? I mean the HC is usually a top salesman in the program. He needs to sell his ideas to every stakeholders. That's why Beard was so successful.

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Have you heard him talk in interviews or locker room, and if you did, did you feel like he was communicating well? I mean the HC is usually a top salesman in the program. He needs to sell his ideas to every stakeholders. That's why Beard was so successful.

He sounds a normal human being opening his mouth with words coming out….

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

I apologize for not being specific enough.
If one were to explain the difference in the meaning of "very unique" vs "unique" to an educated person, how would someone explain the difference in the meaning of those two expressions?
(Asking for the educated people.)
Thanks.

Yes, Einstein, we know what you mean. The word “unique” literally means “one of a kind; unlike any other” and therefore use of the adverb “very” is superfluous.

We’ll all try to be less “casual conversational” and more formal and grammatically correct in our future posts.

53 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

When I hear Terry talk, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. He sounds worse than mumbling "when you look over there" Strong. Of the top of my head, I can't think of any other HC from a top tier program who doesn't speak reasonably well. He sounds like an assistant who might be good at certain aspect of the game but not fit to lead the entire program.

Before someone says he has led this team well so far, I would argue that this is as much a player-led team as it's lead by the HC. Most of the players were leaders in the teams they came from, so that makes it easy. You can see it during the timeouts and game breaks. They don't rely on the HC to tell them what to do during the game.

One thing I am really pleased with is Carr not playing the hero ball as much as he was playing when Beard was the coach. I don't know if it's Terry or his teammates or him finally realizing he needs to trust his teammates.

Not to be rude but it's irrelevant whether or not you have confidence in Coach Terry. The only things that matter is that the kids have confidence in the staff As far as being a player led team, that's more evidence that Coach Terry is doing a great job.  Some coaches would force themselves on their team, but Coach Terry knows that he can depend on the players to keep everyone in line. These kids are playing for their teammates, and it takes a wise coach to let that and encourage that to happen.

And for the record, at timeouts a lot of head coaches allow their assistant coaches to talk to the team in the huddle. That's not a sign of weakness but of strength.

3 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

And for the record, at timeouts a lot of head coaches allow their assistant coaches to talk to the team in the huddle. That's not a sign of weakness but of strength.

Yep. You have coaches like Vic who command the huddle during timeouts. You also have coaches like Elliot who usually have an assistant handle the huddle during a timeout. Both are elite coaches. 

36 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

He’s communicated well enough to help bring in high level recruits to this program both with Barnes and Beard. 

There are plenty of things to criticize about Terry and becoming the permanent HC, but “he doesn’t talk pretty enough for me” isn’t one of them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Not to be rude but it's irrelevant whether or not you have confidence in Coach Terry. The only things that matter is that the kids have confidence in the staff As far as being a player led team, that's more evidence that Coach Terry is doing a great job.  Some coaches would force themselves on their team, but Coach Terry knows that he can depend on the players to keep everyone in line. These kids are playing for their teammates, and it takes a wise coach to let that and encourage that to happen.

Give me a counter example and then I will gladly accept being wrong. All the great coaches I can think of are great speakers. They are not just coaching. They are also selling their vision to the boosters, media, recruits, students, and others. 

Edited by UTEE97

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Give me a counter example and then I will gladly accept being wrong. All the great coaches I can think of are great speakers. They are not just coaching. They are also selling his vision to the boosters, media, recruits, students, and others. 

You don’t beef a counter example.

I teach public speaking at the college level, I competed for and won NCs for the UT Speech Team who is always ranked #1 in the country. Basically public speaking is what I do. I have yet to see a clip of Terry taking where I’m cringy or appalled and think that’s the reason he doesn’t deserve consideration.

Its not clear why you’re trying to die on this hill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You don’t beef a counter example.

I teach public speaking at the college level, I competed for and won NCs for the UT Speech Team who is always ranked #1 in the country. Basically public speaking is what I do. I have yet to see a clip of Terry taking where I’m cringy or appalled and think that’s the reason he doesn’t deserve consideration.

Its not clear why you’re trying to die on this hill.

Congrats on being a speech champion! Sorry I don't mean to belabor this. It's just how I felt when I heard him talk, which got me thinking if this would prevent him from landing the job. I felt the same away about Herman and Strong. I didn't feel like they could inspire confidence and be successful. I am a firm believer in salesmanship, which I think is very important for some jobs including being a HC at a major program. Anyway, let's move on.

Edited by UTEE97

I think it is possible that Terry could be a lot more successful at UT than he was at Fresno or UTEP - and I mean relative to his Big-12 / SEC conference peers.

Some coaches are great at developing, motivating and coaching up inferior players and helping them overachieve.  They find success as underdogs at lower-level schools who don't have the talent and demands of a big-time program.  And sometimes these coaches fail when they get to a big program and try to use the same tactics on elite one-and-done type recruits (see Billie Gillispie and many others). These "hard-ass" types can also struggle with the other duties they have at an elite program:  Dealing with rich boosters, dealing with the media, handling high-level assistant coaches, managing egos where everyone wants to be the star, dealing with NIL, etc.

I think it is possible that Terry is actually good at all of these CEO-type activities that he never really had to deal with at Fresno State.  And he has an elite coaching staff that can fill in any other deficiencies. He has shown that he can keep the players motivated in an extremely volatile situation.  He has the team playing well together and everyone filling their roles.  He has the NBA-caliber players (Hunter, Morris, Mitchell) buying in on not being a star and sharing minutes. And he is making decisions throughout the game that are leading to big wins.  (Solid substitutions, keeping Rice coming off the bench, pressing to get a 10 second call, etc.).

If you look at Jerry Tarkanian, he put together some of the best teams ever at UNLV.  He was pretty "meh" at Fresno State and even landed them on probation when he left. 

Again, I'm not saying I would offer Terry the job today.  I've been pretty clear about what I think he needs to do to secure the job. But I can see how his success this year may not be a "fluke" or guarantee that we will suck once "Beard's" players leave.  

4 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Members of the jury, I rest my case.

I come away with a different conclusion from hearing these clips. I heard him repeat sentences and points he was making, which are not traits of strong leaders.

It's hard to make a point going against the grain when things are going well, and I get it. We will find out more about Terry's leadership ability in a year or two, but I am absolutely rooting for him to be successful.

38 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I heard him repeat sentences and points he was making, which are not traits of strong leaders

Is this a serious post or parody? Repetition in speeches is exactly what strong leaders do.  

“I have a dream that x, I have a dream that y.”

He is trying to reinforce that defense is what won the game.  (In stark contrast with the loss in Austin). And recognizing players who contributed on that end.  You can’t establish a culture without a TON of repetition.

12 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Is this a serious post or parody? Repetition in speeches is exactly what strong leaders do.  

“I have a dream that x, I have a dream that y.”

He is trying to reinforce that defense is what won the game.  (In stark contrast with the loss in Austin). And recognizing players who contributed on that end.  You can’t establish a culture without a TON of repetition.

I am glad to be proven wrong about Terry's leadership because we are going to be needing it the rest of the season and when he is hired as the permanent HC next season. Maybe I need to rethink my own hiring practices. I always thought when people repeat, it's usually because they don't know what else to say. Never too late to learn something new. Have a great rest of the weekend!

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I heard him repeat sentences and points he was making, which are not traits of strong leaders.

This is not true. 

Repetition is key to remembering, which is why it’s a powerful tactic that can help with comprehension. It’s a staple of public speaking. 

I’m actually happy to hear you’re being open to new information. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I am glad to be proven wrong about Terry's leadership because we are going to be needing it the rest of the season and when he is hired as the permanent HC next season. Maybe I need to rethink my own hiring practices. I always thought when people repeat, it's usually because they don't know what else to say. Never too late to learn something new. Have a great rest of the weekend!

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This is not true. 

Repetition is key to remembering, which is why it’s a powerful tactic that can help with comprehension. It’s a staple of public speaking. 

Here’s K Coach repeating himself several times towards the end of the clip.  But, yeah, he was a shitty coach because he said the same thing more than once. 🙄

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Maybe I need to rethink my own hiring practices. I always thought when people repeat, it's usually because they don't know what else to say.

I agree if you are talking about an interview. Making a post game speech is a different animal.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh for fuck's sake.

Yes. He has an accent and a unique voice. Comparing him to Charlie Strong is ridiculous. He's absolutely intelligent and engaging. 

when he does sit down interviews he actually sounds a lot like rick barnes. very similar tone and cadence. nothing wrong with his speech at all to me.

8 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Is this true?

I wonder at what point people will realize that TEXAS basketball recruits itself. Especially in state. It isn't always about the coach. 

Now - transfer recruiting is a different ballgame.

I mean maybe - just maybe - Ron Holland is looking at this team and watching their games and thinking "you know what - that looks like a lot of fucking fun".

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

This is not true.  Repetition is key to remembering, which is why it’s a powerful tactic that can help with comprehension. It’s a staple of public speaking. 

M=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresct=1

Like @Pancho says, Effective Speakers do use repetition to communicate their message.

CDC will be under tremendous pressure to hire Terry as the permanent coach if he keeps winning. Media and fans are already calling for it. It's the feel good story of the season. If you don't hire him and then the new coach sucks, can you imagine the backlash? I think the job is his if he wins couple of games in the tourney.

Hiring Terry would be the easier decision, right or wrong. Hope he can deliver next season and thereafter when he gets to build this own team. I support Texas whoever the coach is.  

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

CDC will be under tremendous pressure to hire Terry as the permanent coach if he keeps winning. Media and fans are already calling for it. It's the feel good story of the season. If you don't hire him and then the new coach sucks, can you imagine the backlash? I think the job is his if he wins couple of games in the tourney.

Hiring Terry would be the easier decision, right or wrong. Hope he can deliver next season and thereafter when he gets to build this own team. I support Texas whoever the coach is.  

Seth Davis can lick my shit-stained asshole. If this team loses in the first round then Terry better send for his bags and never show up on campus again. 

I mean - why are you even posting that stupid fucking tweet? Earlier today you were on some borderline racist shit about how Terry can barely speak English now you're parroting a take that he should be the coach if one of the best 8 teams in the country doesn't win a tournament game?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Congrats on being a speech champion! Sorry I don't mean to belabor this. It's just how I felt when I heard him talk, which got me thinking if this would prevent him from landing the job. I felt the same away about Herman and Strong. I didn't feel like they could inspire confidence and be successful. I am a firm believer in salesmanship, which I think is very important for some jobs including being a HC at a major program. Anyway, let's move on.

Ed Orgeron can barely speak English and won a NC. What the fuck are you talking about

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It makes for a good story. They don't care if it's good hire long-term. You rarely see media championing for certain coaches to be fired.

Yep.

I don't care what the media thinks and neither should CDC. And I doubt he does. 

Terry's interview for the role (and yes, regardless of how we finish February/March, he deserves one) will be his body of work over his career, his head coaching record at 2 stops, and his vision for the program.  Consideration should be made for what he has done with Beard's experienced and basically geriatric college-aged roster, with it being considered that he won't have such a roster next year. 

And like it has been said - Adams is exhibit A of an assistant taking over the head coach's culture and program and how quickly it can degrade.  Terry this year looks a lot like Adams year 1.  Terry year 2 = Adams year 2? YUCK. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Ed Orgeron can barely speak English and won a NC. What the fuck are you talking about

If Joe Burrow can make Cincy a regular superbowl contender, he can win a fluke championship for Ogre too. He was never a great coach before and after. It's a classic case of catching lightning in a bottle.

18 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If Joe Burrow can make Cincy a regular superbowl contender, he can win a fluke championship for Ogre too. He was never a great coach before and after. It's a classic case of catching lightning in a bottle.

Jim Harbaugh? Dude is awkward as hell and doesn’t speak great at all, yet it’s hard to argue against him being a top 10 current HC in college football. Of all the things to criticize Terry for you managed to latch on to this. At best it’s a weird and irrelevant reach, at worst it really does come across as possibly racist. He sounds perfectly fine & understandable to me when I hear him speak. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

There is more to this than just talking in locker rooms or to the media. Fans never see what goes on outside of games. They don't see practices and film study and other activities. Coaches have to know how to press a kid's buttons so to speak. With some kids, a coach can get in their face and yell at him, and the kid will react positively.; Other times, you have to communicate with a kid in a different way for them to respond positively. Fans don't see that.  

It's human nature to want a name coach but a great coach can get his team to respond positively and so far, Coach Terry is doing that.

for all of the people who oppose my take, answer me this:
if UTEP hires RT to be their HC after this season, what does RT do with the UTEP program? do they start winning the conference regularly? winning tourney games? snatching the random high 4* from D/FW or Houston? what does UTEP become if Rodney Terry takes over the program starting next season? 

Point understood, but I’m not sure UTEP is a good example. It’s a black hole program (even the New Mexico teams get better press and results) and it’s hard for any coach to recruit at utep, and if you get some players developed they will bolt for a bigger conference and NIL.

Even if Terry finishes this year with a high tourney seed and sweet 16, next year will be a completely different beast with a big roster rebuild and young player redeployment critical to be in the top 1/3 of the big 12.

I’m cool with seeing if wright, muss, Arizona’s coach, bama’s coach or Cronyn are interested, but there’s a point (absence a collapse this year) where an argument can be made to see what Terry can do with a roster retool, player retention, recruiting, and development if we can’t get a big time replacement.

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Jim Harbaugh? Dude is awkward as hell and doesn’t speak great at all, yet it’s hard to argue against him being a top 10 current HC in college football. Of all the things to criticize Terry for you managed to latch on to this. At best it’s a weird and irrelevant reach, at worst it really does come across as possibly racist. He sounds perfectly fine & understandable to me when I hear him speak. 

Seems like the players understand him.  That's all that matters.  Let's be real, Tom Herman is a great speaker.  Players hated him.  

I think both recruits have stated they're coming if Rodney is still the coach.  Doesnt' mean they're gonna bail if he isn't, but Rodney, at least for the players is a positive.  

44 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't want Terry to be the next head coach but it is weird that some fans get upset over him even getting a little bit of praise. 

Either way, I think the media hype is a good thing. Keep those recruits on board for as long as possible. 

I don't either.  Even if he wins the sweet 16 and this conference, I think we could still do better.  BUT, when was the last time we did both of those?  With Rick, Smart and Chris?  What's our rebuttal when we're challenged with "why did you let Rodney go when he won the title in the best conference and made the sweet 16?"  Is it "we deserve the best?"  Rodney will have done what nobody has done in 20 years?  It would be hard to argue against his case if you're presenting Tang and Oats.