Rodney Terry

HookEm

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy should fire his agent immediately if he brings him a 2 year contract worth $6 million to sign.

Plus the reputation CDC would get for offering a black interim coach a 2 year only deal. 3 years minimum, likely 5 with a low buyout, if we end up offering him the job 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Plus the reputation CDC would get for offering a black interim coach a 2 year only deal. 3 years minimum, likely 5 with a low buyout, if we end up offering him the job 

You either want the guy to be your head coach or you don’t. If you do, then he is going to have a contract that reflects that. No good recruit or staff member is coming within 100 miles of this place if they see a brand new head coach get a 2 year deal, or hell, probably even a 3 year deal.

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Terry isn't it, but I feel like if Terry makes it to the Elite Eight - possibly the Sweet Sixteen - he'll basically have to hire Terry. The optics would be miserable otherwise. Especially if he hires a white coach, which is all but guaranteed.

Depends who we hire, right? If it's, say, Tony Bennett, how bad could the optics possibly be if we hire a guy with multiple national championships, over a career .500 coach with zero tournament wins or championships of any kind.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Depends who we hire, right? If it's, say, Tony Bennett, how bad could the optics possibly be if we hire a guy with multiple national championships, over a career .500 coach with zero tournament wins or championships of any kind.

Well, I don't actually know the answer to that. I just pretend like I do. 

Tony Bennett seems like a home run hire to me for sure. Does he have multiple national championships, though? I think it's just the one. Your point remains the same, though.

I still think there might be some minor blowback. Another factor to consider is if the new coach keeps Terry on as a highly paid assistant. 

But yeah, any coach with a national championship on their resume would be tough for someone to say, "why didn't they give Terry a shot?" Fair point.

Why would Terry’s agent or Terry himself expect a top 20 or even top 40 contract?   As even Geoff Ketchum knows, he’s not getting a job anything like Texas unless it’s in fact Texas.   The school has all the chips.  There’s nothing wrong with offering a contract that reflects the actual market for a particular coach.  

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Why would Terry’s agent or Terry himself expect a top 20 or even top 40 contract?   As even Geoff Ketchum knows, he’s not getting a job anything like Texas unless it’s in fact Texas.   The school has all the chips.  There’s nothing wrong with offering a contract that reflects the actual market for a particular coach.  

Sure. But you really have to offer 3-5. Maybe you can get away with 4 since he basically coached almost an entire season and got a bump. 4-5 years, $2-3m per with a super low buyout

But I still think CDC swings for a Bennett-type 

FCB Notes on RT's salary:

Spoiler

There was a report Texas acting head coach Rodney Terry had his salary doubled from $600,000 (what he was earning as associate head coach) to $1.2 million after taking over as acting head coach when Chris Beard was suspended on Dec. 12 (and ultimately fired on Jan. 5).

According to an open records request made by Horns247, Terry did, indeed, have his per month salary doubled from $50,000 per month to $100,000 per month. But it was only effective from Dec. 12 through April. So, Terry will earn $850,000 for the season.

Considering Beard was earning $5 million per year before he was fired, Texas had one of its best regular seasons in the last 15 years under an acting head coach earning a bargain salary ($850,000).

According to the Horns247 open records request, no other coaches on staff received a pay bump following Beard’s dismissal.

Ok, my post was a bad take. I wanted Texas to be able to offer a shorter contract, but you are all right it just wouldn’t work. What they could do is what they did for Harbaugh, take a few years of pay and stretch it over a longer period. But that would still be a major dollar commitment. Bad idea. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, I don't actually know the answer to that. I just pretend like I do. 

Tony Bennett seems like a home run hire to me for sure. Does he have multiple national championships, though? I think it's just the one. Your point remains the same, though.

I still think there might be some minor blowback. Another factor to consider is if the new coach keeps Terry on as a highly paid assistant. 

But yeah, any coach with a national championship on their resume would be tough for someone to say, "why didn't they give Terry a shot?" Fair point.

You good with Kevin Ollie?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

If we make the sweet 16 and all the current assistants agree to remain on staff I think it’s Terrys job whether y’all like it or not 

But I’m just a random dude speculating 

Pretty low bar. 

32 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Whens the last time we made the sweet 16 again?

Don’t know but when you get handed a team who has been ranked in the top 10 all year and will probably be a 2 seed it’s a pretty low bar.  In fact, as a 2 seed it ought to be expected. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Don’t know but when you get handed a team who has been ranked in the top 10 all year and will probably be a 2 seed it’s a pretty low bar.  In fact, as a 2 seed it ought to be expected. 

Nothing is to be expected in the ncaa tournament aside from maybe a first game win when you’re playing a team like Abilene Christian or northern Iowa (uh… maybe not)

9 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Nothing is to be expected in the ncaa tournament aside from maybe a first game win when you’re playing a team like Abilene Christian or northern Iowa (uh… maybe not)

You have PTSD from Shaka. 

18 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

You have PTSD from Shaka. 

I absolutely do. I also have PTSD from Wetlich, the end of Penders' time, the end of Barnes' tenure, and now Beard. 

But still I remain hopeful it's all going to work out within my lifetime. In the meantime I just have to figure out how to deal with the basketball fan equivalent of the loud noises and flashing lights. 

56 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

this team's stated season goal was/is to win the national championship. it's why all of our transfers returned for a final year, and it's why our chosen team motto this year was "we're doing this", with "this" being winning the whole damn thing. hire rodney terry full time and see how many more visits he makes ti the second weekend. im setting the o/u at 0.5. 

8 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

You people do realize those is Texas basketball, not exactly a “destination” gig. 

this could not be more wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

With the exception of several women’s team positions, no men’s sports are any longer considered “destination” jobs. $$$ doesn’t make a job an apex of the sport. 

there are a handful of destination jobs in men's cbb, and the texas job is one of them, along with (imo) KU and UNC more than any other jobs, including duke and ucla. it's not about the paycheck, it's about the city, the resources, the ability to win at the highest level, the arena, the overall success of the Texas Athletic Department, the number of top flight coaches on campus, the recruiting hotbed that is the state of Texas, and the wildly low fan standards and expectations compared to any other big name job. this job has everything. it's as good of a job as any in cbb. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

our shot selection under terry has been markedly worse then it was under beard, and our shooting tonight is particularly horrific. it reminds me of shaka ball, with guys just throwing up one awful three after another, not even attempting to run offensive sets. this is a prime example of why/how we've regressed, and why Terry is not a serious candidate for this job as of today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck all of these other coaches….

Give Terry a three year deal now.

His players love him

He has proved himself at Texas (don’t give a shit about his record at shitty schools)

Plus he is a good recruiter that will not lose our commitments

Fuck the haters

there are no rodney terry haters, and your bar for "earning" this job is extremely low.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

there are a handful of destination jobs in men's cbb, and the texas job is one of them, along with (imo) KU and UNC more than any other jobs, including duke and ucla. it's not about the paycheck, it's about the city, the resources, the ability to win at the highest level, the arena, the overall success of the Texas Athletic Department, the number of top flight coaches on campus, the recruiting hotbed that is the state of Texas, and the wildly low fan standards and expectations compared to any other big name job. this job has everything. it's as good of a gif as any in cbb. 

Much of what you say is true but it doesn’t make it the ultimate destination. Not saying it isn’t a great job, but the ultimate job, “destination” position it just isn’t.  At one point the football coaching job was, but no longer is.
You forgot a little thing called “tradition”. Texas has only a mediocre historical basketball history, no one outside of the Longhorn incubator, would ever think of it as such. 

• Fuck You 11

17 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

Much of what you say is true but it doesn’t make it the ultimate destination. Not saying it isn’t a great job, but the ultimate job, “destination” position it just isn’t.  At one point the football coaching job was, but no longer is.
You forgot a little thing called “tradition”. Texas has only a mediocre historical basketball history, no one outside of the Longhorn incubator, would ever think of it as such. 

What is the point and purpose of you posting on this website? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

With the exception of several women’s team positions, no men’s sports are any longer considered “destination” jobs. $$$ doesn’t make a job an apex of the sport. 

Baseball

Swimming & Diving

Golf

Those three men's sports without question.

And despite what you say, Texas is still considered a top-echelon job in football. 

As for basketball - not the very top tier, but absolutely a top 20 job.

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Baseball

Swimming & Diving

Golf

And despite what you say, Texas is still considered a top-echelon job in football. 

DESTINATION JOB,  not good or great or top-echelon-the ultimate job in the profession. (OK, I’ll give you golf. 😉). 

• Fuck You 11

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think CDC has higher standards. Honestly I think anything short of the Final 4 means we’re at least interviewing others/testing the market 

Lulz, I just laugh at stupids who keep posting this, considering Texas last played in the S16 in 2009. 

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

He wasn't handed this team, he helped build it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

Holy shit this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. Every coaching job at Texas is a destination job. Every single one. Scratch that - every job at Texas is a destination job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Baseball
Swimming & Diving
Golf

So name jobs 6-19 that are better than Texas….taking venue, transfer portal and NIL into account.

50 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

our shot selection under terry has been markedly worse then it was under beard, and our shooting tonight is particularly horrific. it reminds me of shaka ball, with guys just throwing up one awful three after another, not even attempting to run offensive sets. this is a prime example of why/how we've regressed, and why Terry is not a serious candidate for this job as of today. 

Well, he is a serious candidate. It’s part of why he’s not a serious candidate for me.

From a basketball perspective I enjoyed last year’s team way more, because I could see a vision for what Beard wanted from his team on both ends of the floor, even if it didn’t always look pretty. 

All I see from Terry is go out and play hard. Not the same attention to detail any more on the defensive end. Players consistently late in rotations. Terrible perimeter defense from a roster built from the ground up to negate the 3 point line. Mitchell and Morris are the same players they started the season as. 

On the offensive end the ball screening and off the ball screening continues to decline. Say what you will about last year’s team - and let’s face it, the offense was boring as all get out - but they consistently earned open looks. 

If Terry gets the job so be it, but he’s not going to last. He’s not going to be successful somewhere else. 

I’d prefer to roll the dice with this hire, but if I end up having to wait a few years so be it. I’d just like this season to help make it worth it in some way with a nice run. 

Oh, and Beard kept saying in the preseason that Hunter and Rice were the two players he valued most in the entire portal. Hunter hasn’t had the season I thought he would, but Rice has completely and utterly saved this team’s bacon. What an amazing pickup he turned out to be, especially with the kind of one on one offense this squad devolves into consistently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit, we aren't paying $7M for a basketball coach. The only guy worth that much already makes $10M and had a heart attack today.

If Jay Wright or Billy Donovan wanted to return to college basketball I bet that happens. 

They won’t, so your point still stands, but it’s not like they won’t because they can’t. 

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

So name jobs 6-19 that are better than Texas….taking venue, transfer portal and NIL into account.

You don’t seem to grasp the concept of “destination” job. There aren’t “6-19” (?) better jobs. 3 or 4 maybe. 
As Texas fans we are often too myopic in our viewpoints and understanding of the sport and wider culture beyond our cloistered experience.  

• Fuck You 10

You don’t seem to grasp the concept of “destination” job. There aren’t “6-19” (?) better jobs. 3 or 4 maybe. 
As Texas fans we are often too myopic in our viewpoints and understanding of the sport and wider culture beyond our cloistered experience.  

You don’t seem to understand that when someone says that Texas is a “top 20 job” that there are ostensibly 19 better jobs. Mine was a legit question. Dumbfuck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

You are terrible at making your points. 

1 minute ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

I can help you with reading comprehension if you want to message me. 

I haven't seen anything in your posts so far that merits a detailed conversation. Maybe I change my mind at some point, but right now you mostly look like a troll.