Rodney Terry

HookEm

11 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Y’all are so stupid, you can’t see how the national media is politicking for Terry to be our coach…because they know he will keep us “in our place” as a program. 

Just like Sark…again.

Mediocre coaches go to Texas for the pay day. That’s who we are now.

Ok but we didn't hire Terry to be our head coach and Sark was foisted on us by the boosters. 

1 hour ago, Henry Hill said:

Win the national championship, per our resident Mensa members. If he does it, they’ll say Beard would’ve done it too and still want Terry to walk.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7w98rjvqpfx8hw4vs6a

LOL what?!? you actually believe this? there is not a single longhorn fan in existence who would a)even be thinking or talking about chris beard after Hot Rod leads us to a national championship, and more importantly b)want rodney terry dismissed after winning the national title. i've read a lot of weird, misguided shit lately, but this takes the cake for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

Win the national championship, per our resident Mensa members. If he does it, they’ll say Beard would’ve done it too and still want Terry to walk.

He didn’t excel at (checks notes) Fresno State, who has a whopping 6 tournament appearances in their esteemed history, and UTEP, who hasn’t been relevant since Tim Hardaway Sr played and they won it all during the civil rights era as Texas Western, so fuck him…he sucks.

If we’ve regressed all the way down to a conference tournament championship and a potential 1 seed in the dance with the coach that kept this group from choking away the season after one of the biggest coaching black eyes in recent memory, I can sleep well at night.

Fuck Chris Beard, fuck Derka, and fuck anyone else who thinks Terry must win out and do something never before done in the history of Texas basketball to even sniff an interview for the gig next year. You fucking suck and are an embarrassment to your families.

i'm sorry that my pragmatism and desire for this program to be a perennial powerhouse has you so upset,  it if you could take your whiny, angry, negative bullshit to literally any other forum that would be great. and fucking grow up while you're at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

He didn’t excel at (checks notes) Fresno State, who has a whopping 6 tournament appearances in their esteemed history, and UTEP, who hasn’t been relevant since Tim Hardaway Sr played and they won it all during the civil rights era as Texas Western, so fuck him…he sucks.

you're blaming the schools that used to employ terry for his own poor - mediocre performance over a decade as a head coach? yeah. you're just a bastion of objectivity here, and definitely haven't jammed your entire head into a giant pile of sand. RT had 10 years in auto bid conferences to prove himself, and what he proved, unequivocally, is that he's nowhere near the caliber of coach that Texas would even consider for an interview.

at fresno RT once fielded a team that shot under 40% from 2P range for an entire season. an entire season!  during his seven years as HC his average AdjO was 157th nationally and his average AdjD was 116. he made the CBI once, made the NIT once (first round loss), and made the actual tourney once (first round loss). his career record there was 126-108 (.538), 62-58 (.517). he then left for a lateral move to utep, because that was a better career move than getting fired by fresno, which was going to happen.

at utep RT went 37-48 (.435), 19-33 (.365), and he obviously never played in any of the postseason tournaments with those poor performances. his average AdjO ranking in those years was a whopping 257th nationally, with his AdjD averaging a ranking of 111th. once again, Terry decided to leave his job as a head coach, this time to become an assistant coach, because again, it was a better career move than letting utep fire him. 

@Henry Hill let me tell you something you stupid cocksucker. this night should have been all about rodney terry and his team and how amazing they did during this tournament, but no. henry mother fucking hill had to go day FUCK DERKA because i have the gall to actually know what the fuck i'm talking about. and now you've made bring up all of this old negative shit about rodney terry as a HC just so that i can rub your childish, whiny, shit starting, clueless fucking nose all up in it. fuck you you fucking child. goddamn moron. 

4 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

This team isn’t making it to the second weekend.

We just beat #3 Kansas by 20 to win the conference tournament, eight days after we beat the same KU team by 16. We should be a #1 seed. It will be a disaster if we don't make the Sweet 16.

Yeah, this team should absolutely make the Sweet 16, and I'll be disappointed if they don't go one game further.  They're good, really good, and frankly this agressive brand of offense where they push it inside is refreshing, and necessary.  They don't play selfish basketball, and they spread the wealth.  

This may be my favorite Texas basketball team, and I've been watching since 1982.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, this team should absolutely make the Sweet 16, and I'll be disappointed if they don't go one game further.  They're good, really good, and frankly this agressive brand of offense where they push it inside is refreshing, and necessary.  They don't play selfish basketball, and they spread the wealth.  

This may be my favorite Texas basketball team, and I've been watching since 1982.

I've never seen a Chris Beard team push this much inside. It reminds me of Rick Barnes more than Beard.

I'm with you. It's a welcome addition. Beard's teams used the post player to set blocks. However, the post player was never set up close enough to the basket, IMO, to be effective. It was obviously done on purpose, to allow the post player to potentially take his defender off the dribble, but for me it made the post play way less effective. Also, they were often given the ball too late in the shot clock. We're going really early inside right now, often times as the first option, which is what I've been craving. And Disu in particular is really coming into his own right now. Bishop, too. 

They've done a great job of using the pick and roll to get ridiculous matchups inside when the opponent switches, and wide open shots when they don't. And having so many guards who can initiate the offense is turning into the asset we all thought it would be in the preseason. I'm a tiny bit concerned now at what bringing Allen back means, but it's minor. 

The main thing I'm grateful for is the loss of Allen forced Terry to change the lineup in ways he seemed extremely reluctant to ever since he took over after Beard's suspension. It's really paying dividends. 

• Hook 'Em 5

We just beat #3 Kansas by 20 to win the conference tournament, eight days after we beat the same KU team by 16. We should be a #1 seed. It will be a disaster if we don't make the Sweet 16.

Not meaning to call you out @C-man

But continually quoting this moron’s posts interrupts the peaceful bliss many of us enjoy by ignoring!

We are now in the territory of losing as much as we might gain by getting rid of Terry.  Of course Terry could win the Big 12 Championship last night, and shit the bed in game 1 of the NCAA's but that is probably not the most likely scenario at this point.  Had Shaka Smart won two or three games in the NCAA's would he still be our head coach?  

Only a first round loss makes the decision easier to replace Terry.  I agree that Beard was the man who put all the parts into place, then created the fucking chaos that could have EASILY allowed for this team to implode and shit the bed this season.  The Big 12 is without a doubt the toughest conference in the country, and we have seen more and more contributors as the season has rolled on. At this point in time I think that we are right at the tipping point, where firing Terry would have more of a negative that might overwhelm any positive of a splashy hire?  If Terry wins three games I think we would be fucking stupid to fire him.  Others will differ.  It's not like the old days where the new coach can come in knowing that there is at least a solid core group of players to build upon.  The transfer portal could remove a lot of the talent extremely quickly.  While basketball is a business to a lot of the players I think it foolish to discount the emotional ties that a coach builds and profits from in truly creating a team.  I think that a lot of folks think you get the talent, you win the games.  Sort of... The hard part is getting the very best players to think of the team first, rather than the potential of their personal highlight reel. It's harder than you think in most instances.

Anyhow I think we are at that point where there is no clear good choice.  Texas' desire to make a splash with a new hire is certainly understandable.  But I think we are at the point now where if Terry wins a couple more games the negative perception for potential players may be as big as any splash.  If you want Terry gone, his victory last night was disappointing.  If you want Terry gone, each NCAA win makes your position less palatable.  So if you want change you need to root for the Horns to dump the first or second game.

The only certainty is that Texas is not a basketball school.  It is a football school with a shit ton of other sports that compete for championships, while our football team does not. (Yet!)  I think if given the opportunity after making a decent run in the tournament we shit can Terry, we start from scratch.  Probably retain a couple players, and lose just as many to the portal.  It's also possible that Terry might not be able to raid the portal in the same manner as Beard.  But if Terry has a Big 12 tourney championship, and a sweet 16 appearance... you have more to lose than gain IMHO.  I am looking at this mostly from the recruit perspective.  Terry has something going here, and the team clearly loves him.  A lot of times the new trophy wife is not embraced by the kids, no matter how famous or respected by everyone else. 

So I guess a lot of us are rooting for the team to win a few more games... and a lot of folks are rooting  for an early exit making it easy to replace Terry.  I don't honestly think you can with a straight face root for both.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Ifs and buts…he’s a loser coach. Won barely half his games.

If Terry gets the job it will be because he earned it.  Like most, I’m waiting to see how Texas does in the tournament but think he very well could be the right guy for Texas which includes the entire coaching staff group as they have done an outstanding job which I don’t take for granted.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Those that say Beard would’ve done much better, probably right, but he’s had a couple of lackluster regular seasons.  He’s a post season savant right?   You can point to his fast start but you know who used to have fast starts here?  Shaka.  

Recruiting won’t be an issue if RT stays. Very clear that the players love him 

this is not an endorsement of Terry nor did I trample on the mighty Beard’s legacy here.   

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

So I guess a lot of us are rooting for the team to win a few more games...

and a lot of folks are rooting  for an early exit making it easy to replace Terry.  

Team Win.

Team Bitchassedness.

Identify yourselves accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Another great article from The Athletic with quotes from players and assistant coaches

Spoiler

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The next practice after Texas allowed 116 points on its home floor to Kansas State back on Jan. 2, interim coach Rodney Terry started things off with a charge drill, and he went straight to the front of the line.

Terry stuck his chest in front of senior guard Sir’Jabari Rice and told him to hit him.

If I can take a charge, he told the players, you can take a charge.

Terry jumped back to his feet and then told Rice to knock him over again and then one more time to hammer home the point.

“It wasn’t no fluff charge either,” assistant coach Chris Ogden said.

“Jabari got me pretty good,” Terry admitted.

“He’s always talking about we need to be more physical,” Rice said. “I wanted to see if he was actually about it, and he actually is.”

“I’ve seen coaches do the little gimmicky sh— before, and everyone kind of laughs,” assistant coach Bob Donewald Jr. said. “No, he was dead serious. He stepped in and took it and looked at the guys like, ‘No, this is what we’re doing.’”

Next up were loose ball drills. Again, Terry was at the front of the line.

If I can dive on a loose ball and dive on the floor, it can be your friend. First to the floor!

“It kind of galvanized them, because they looked around like, he’s not playing,” Donewald said. “He set the tone with it.”

“That practice was a big turning point in our year,” senior forward Timmy Allensaid.

Terry wanted his players to “get lost in doing the uncomfortable things.” They had adopted a mindset that they could simply flip the switch and outscore whoever they wanted when that approach basically felt foolproof. It worked against Gonzaga. It worked on one of the most emotional days of their season in an overtime win against Rice, but …

“In this league, you can’t get into a pickup game,” Terry said. “You’re gonna have to able to put your will on someone in terms of being able to sit down and get stops. No one’s gonna outscore anyone in this league and win a championship.”

For two days, the Longhorns basically practiced without basketballs. It was back to basics, reemphasizing what mattered on the defensive end. The players made a pact that went on the whiteboard: they were going to play defense and lock down their assignments.

“Everybody couldn’t just point fingers at one person; we all gave up points,” sophomore guard Tyrese Hunter said. “Ever since we wrote those things down, we’ve stuck to them.”

And four days after the embarrassing defensive performance against the Wildcats, Texas traveled to Oklahoma State and won 56-46.

Texas has had the fifth-best defense in college basketball since that KSU loss, according to BartTorvik.com, and its dominance reached another level this week in Kansas City.

First, another ugly win over Oklahoma State, which had its lowest efficiency output in three seasons in that early-January game and surpassed it on Thursday.

On Friday, TCU had one of its worst offensive games all year in a 66-60 win for the Longhorns.

Then on Saturday, Texas spanked Big 12 superpower Kansas for the second time in eight days, 76-56, to win the Big 12 tournament.

It was the kind of performance that allows a program to dream. The Big 12 has produced the last two national champions and the runner-up in the previous title game.

Is Texas next?

The Longhorns belong in the conversation in what appears to be a wide open NCAA Tournament. Kansas, which will be one of the favorites, had the excuse of playing without wing Kevin McCullar — out with back spasms — and coach Bill Self, who was hospitalized on Wednesday. But no one can really compete in the excuse game with Texas.

Texas, too, was without an important piece this week — Allen sat out with a leg injury — and then, of course, there’s the whole Chris Beard thing.

It was one of the defining days of this season for the Longhorns when they woke up to images of Beard’s mugshot on their televisions and then had to play Rice that night. When the Horns needed overtime to win, it was kind of easy to write them off. Their coach who had built what looked like a title contender was likely finished.

But the players themselves had done nothing wrong. The talent was all still there. The games were still on television. Every reason they came to Texas — minus Beard — was still in place. Terry was the perfect leader at that moment and for this roster, which is ultra-experienced. They have four players utilizing the extra COVID-19 year and two other normal fourth-year seniors.

The Longhorns didn’t need a taskmaster. They just needed a calming influence, and that’s Terry. So much so that he sounds like a coaching cliché.

“RT is an everyday guy,” Donewald said.

“There’s no highs and no lows,” Rice said, “and he’s not scared to coach the best players.”

Terry has allowed the Longhorns to play with freedom on the offensive end, so long as they guard on the other end. The confidence of guys who didn’t always have it — like Big 12 Tournament MVP Dylan Disu — has flourished. Offensively, their attack is simple but hard to deal with because they are so balanced that defenses cannot just lock in on one or two guys.

“We can play a lot of different ways,” Ogden said. “We can go small. We can go big. We can just play a lot of different ways and win a lot of different styles.”

If a starter or two or three are off, Terry has options off the bench. Christian Bishop, Rice and freshman Arterio Morrisare all talented enough to start at most high-major programs. Then Brock Cunningham is the ultimate glue guy who any coach would love to have in his rotation.

Kansas, who could end up the top overall seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday, is an example of a team that needs its health and to stay out of foul trouble because it’s trouble when it gets to its bench.

The Texas narrative could follow KU’s title-winning team from a year ago. The turning point for those Jayhawks was a blowout loss at home to Kentucky. It was at the Big 12 tournament where KU hit another gear, sixth man Remy Martin emerging as a flamethrower off the bench.

Maybe this week was when Texas will point to the moment Disu realized what he could become. Those Jayhawks could also win ugly, able to totally take opponents out of what they wanted to do offensively. They were always locked into scouting reports.

Terry sees his team peaking on the floor and in its preparation. Before Saturday’s game back at the hotel, they walked through the game plan in a hotel ballroom. The players were down in a stance, talking through every action. “Probably our best walk-through of the season,” Terry said. “I knew there was no pep talk needed to start this game.”

The Longhorns executed the plan perfectly, focused on taking away “the others” for Kansas and not worrying too much about star Jalen Wilson. In particular, Texas knew it needed to keep point guard Dajuan Harris Jr. out of the paint and wear him down. Harris had been terrific in Kansas City, looking as comfortable as he ever had on the offensive end. Always in control. Never in a hurry. But against Texas, he continually got caught in the air without a plan and ended up with four turnovers.

The Longhorns looked nothing like the team that allowed Kansas State’s point guard to roast them for 36 points and nine assists.

Now they enter the NCAA Tournament playing as well as any team in the country. With confetti at their feet on Saturday, they enjoyed the celebration but this didn’t feel like an endpoint.

“Feels good,” Marcus Carr told a staffer during the celebration, “but I want another one.”

They want it for themselves, and they want it for their coach.

The 54-year-old man has known exactly what they needed at the right moments in time. But he did make one mistake.

When he dove on the loose ball back in January, he landed right on top of it.

“I never let the guys know this,” he said, a big smile on his face, “but for two months, my ribs were sore.”

• Hook 'Em 9

30 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Because if we lose in the sweet 16, things are gonna get difficult and awkward around here

I'm not sure where "here" is.  surly?  University of Texas?

My only concerns about the perception of not hiring RT would be how it would be perceived by future recruits.  The media and opposing fans can pound sand.  Most everybody hates us, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Yes? Do you actually think Rodney Terry is a better coach than Musselman?

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

of course your username is Chad

A case of Jekyll and Hyde I'd rather not have coaching Texas. Two very good seasons and two seasons eerily reminiscent of Shaka at Texas. I'll take a pass on a guy that can't even consistently finish over .500 in a mediocre basketball conference.

23 minutes ago, Chad said:

A case of Jekyll and Hyde I'd rather not have coaching Texas. Two very good seasons and two seasons eerily reminiscent of Shaka at Texas. I'll take a pass on a guy that can't even consistently finish over .500 in a mediocre basketball conference.

But you will take someone who was consistently at or under .500 at shitty conferences? I know we are feeling euphoric right now but long-term decisions made during periods like this usually end up being a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My only concerns about the perception of not hiring RT would be how it would be perceived by future recruits.  The media and opposing fans can pound sand.  Most everybody hates us, anyway.

Yeah, I dont buy that there’s only two options here. I want the team to win every game, and I want CDC to make the best hire possible. If he thinks that’s Terry, then so be it. I think it’s probably not, and I don’t believe he’ll just cave to pressure because of a couple of tournament wins. We’ll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure where "here" is.  surly?  University of Texas?

This is exactly where I see the potential for problems where the negatives may outweigh the name hire "splash." Everyone knows that in todays recruiting the coaches recruit like hell, but so do the players.  Transfer portal makes this a lot more dangerous than it used to be.  Would we keep what we have and add to it in the portal? Or lose the future players we have developed this year and easily replace any losses with the new big name coach?  Something in between?

It is an interesting dilemma to be sure.  But I think a lot of folks discount the fact that this team could be in a complete rebuild if the players don't buy into the, "Yeah Coach Terry kicked ass, but you know Chris Beard was actually responsible for this teams victories."  The mantra of a lot of a lot of folks which I understand.  I personally simply just don't think you will find many of the actual players on our team agreeing with that premise.  An that to me is the fly in the ointment.

I get why we’ve been speculating about Rodney Terry for the past 2+ months. It’s a message board and we like to argue about hypotheticals.

It’s kind of hard to take a stance on his fate without knowing how he will perform in the tourney. That’s the most important part of the entire year so we are arguing without the most important piece of information.

I think rooting for Texas means rooting for Rodney Terry. He is the man leading this team and he’s doing a damn fine job. I hope to see it continue, and I hope that Texas makes some noise over the next 3 weeks, in which case I think he will have earned it. Go cut down a net Rodney.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

But you will take someone who was consistently at or under .500 at shitty conferences? I know we are feeling euphoric right now but long-term decisions made during periods like this usually end up being a disaster.

But he wasn't the same coach at Texas he was at those other places. He has shown himself to be an elite coach at Texas, we don't have to guess what type of coach he will be here.

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Y’all are so stupid, you can’t see how the national media is politicking for Terry to be our coach…because they know he will keep us “in our place” as a program. 

This is big time Aggie energy

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I’m not gonna disregard his time at …..checks notes….. Fresno st as Rodney should’ve capitalized from the Paul George momentum, but could it be he’s learned from his mistakes?  Maybe the Rodney now is better than that one?

And I’m not big on the “if he can win at florida gulf coast he should win here “ easily theory

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I’m not gonna disregard his time at …..checks notes….. Fresno st as Rodney should’ve capitalized from the Paul George momentum, but could it be he’s learned from his mistakes?  Maybe the Rodney now is better than that one?

And I’m not big on the “if he can win at florida gulf coast he should win here “ easily theory

There is nothing wrong with your argument but we won't know the answer to that question until next year. This is why this hiring decision is so hard. I would love nothing more than him to be the guy for us because he seems like a nice guy.

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

There is nothing wrong with your argument but we won't know the answer to that question until next year. This is why this hiring decision is so hard. I would love nothing more than him to be the guy for us because he seems like a nice guy.

We absolutely don't, and I'm on record in saying we can do better than Rodney.  However, there haven't been a lot of moments where I felt he's out of his league here.  We can chat about "hey, them are Chris's players" all we want, but a) even Chris has had subpar regular seasons and b) I'd bet Rodney will not have issues recruiting.  

14 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Y’all are so stupid, you can’t see how the national media is politicking for Terry to be our coach…because they know he will keep us “in our place” as a program

Just like Sark…again.

LOL,  Fucking Aggie Troll.  Only that delusional band of in-breds think like this.  We're Texas,  we don't "have a place" and we are not worried about some conspiracy theory of men in dark rooms working to undermine our program.  

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We absolutely don't, and I'm on record in saying we can do better than Rodney.  However, there haven't been a lot of moments where I felt he's out of his league here.  We can chat about "hey, them are Chris's players" all we want, but a) even Chris has had subpar regular seasons and b) I'd bet Rodney will not have issues recruiting.  

He can succeed if he can keep the staff together, and that's the biggest if imo. It seems like this team is being coached by a committee of some excellent assistant coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Just like Sark…again.

Rodney ain't getting paid much and in context, neither is Sark.  

I'm rooting for a fun and historic end to this season. 

I am not rooting for Terry to fail because I want someone else as the head coach. That seems dumb and short sighted. 

But it would be a silver lining if Texas falls in the first or second round and that seals his fate. That's not the same as rooting against him. but it is an honest reflection of how I think he'll do as the head coach the next few years. To be honest, losing as a #2 seed in the first round sounds horrible. Please don't let that happen. I don't give a shit about silver linings. 

But we'll see what transpires. Regardless, this team has been a joy to watch. And Rodney Terry has been a huge part of that. I'm thankful as a fan for everyone in the basketball program who circled the wagons to help make this happen. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm rooting for a fun and historic end to this season. 

I am not rooting for Terry to fail because I want someone else as the head coach. That seems dumb and short sighted. 

But it would be a silver lining if Texas falls in the first or second round and that seals his fate. That's not the same as rooting against him. but it is an honest reflection of how I think he'll do as the head coach the next few years. To be honest, losing as a #2 seed in the first round sounds horrible. Please don't let that happen. I don't give a shit about silver linings. 

But we'll see what transpires. Regardless, this team has been a joy to watch. And Rodney Terry has been a huge part of that. I'm thankful as a fan for everyone in the basketball program who circled the wagons to help make this happen. 

I think this team will coast to the Sweet 16 because we have too many experienced weapons.  For whatever reason (perhaps because of the Beard debacle), they are playing for each other. This has all the makings of a potential magical season.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will happily root for this team to advance as far as they possibly can.  I'm a Texas fan with skins on the wall.  If the "penalty" for a Final Four type run is that we are stuck with Rodney Terry instead of, say, a Billy Donovan for the next few years, so be it.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Texas fans who think Rodney isn't the best choice feel the same way.  I will never hope this team loses, in any scenario.

• Hook 'Em 6

Bill Self in his first Division 1 job at Oral Roberts.  

image.png.58b0a20daed8bf375d21c97a72139b8d.png

Scott Drew in his first EIGHT years at Baylor: 127-116.  0.522

image.png.fce45f3e242dc4d39b69660ac2bf0164.png

Billy Donovan's first four years:  62-52. 0.544

image.png.e9e16aaf0ff2dbd466dd9bf0be34517c.png

Yes, I realize this is cherry picked data. I'm just saying that previous results don't always mean that is the best you can do. People learn. Some situations are a better fit for individual skills than others. 

Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 4