Rodney Terry

HookEm

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Bill Self in his first Division 1 job at Oral Roberts.  

image.png.58b0a20daed8bf375d21c97a72139b8d.png

Scott Drew in his first EIGHT years at Baylor: 127-116.  0.522

image.png.fce45f3e242dc4d39b69660ac2bf0164.png

Billy Donovan's first four years:  62-52. 0.544

image.png.e9e16aaf0ff2dbd466dd9bf0be34517c.png

Yes, I realize this is cherry picked data. I'm just saying that previous results don't always mean that is the best you can do. People learn. Some situations are a better fit for individual skills than others. 

Did any of these teams shoot below 40% from two point land?

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Bill Self is a terrible reference.  Yes, his first D1 job led to similar results as RT had at Fresno State.  However, he moved up to Tulsa, where he excelled, and then Illinois, where he also excelled.

RT does not have a similar track record.

Both Florida and Baylor were terrible teams when those coaches were hired. They built those programs from the ground up.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Both Florida and Baylor were terrible teams when those coaches were hired. They built those programs from the ground up.

I'm not sure saying Baylor was a terrible team when Scott Drew was hired quite covers the situation he inherited there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm not sure saying Baylor was a terrible team when Scott Drew was hired quite covers the situation he inherited there. 

Scott Drew was hired in 2003. He was 20-11 in his only season at Valparaiso before Baylor hired him.

Screenshot_20230312_134607_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6633e2ea4457838d7224b8524c5d54d6.jpg

Edited by UTEE97

Dude, I don't engage in name calling with anyone but since you started, let's follow this through. One poster cited these examples of coaches who had bad records in their first few years. I pointed out extenuating circumstances that led to their records early on. What's your point Mr. All knower. Please indulge me.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Dude, I don't engage in name calling with anyone but since you started, let's follow this through. One poster cited these examples of coaches who had bad records in their first few years. I pointed out extenuating circumstances that led to their records early on. What's your point Mr. All knower. Please indulge me.

I don't know that I had a point. I don't think I care that much.

It was mostly a reference to the horrific circumstances Scott Drew inherited when he took over at Baylor. It went beyond a normal "they were a terrible team." It wasn't meant as a correction, as much as I assumed you'd get the reference and laugh/groan/frown about the whole sordid affair. Then you posted a screenshot of Baylor's records going back to 1988 as if that meant something. When I tried to educate you as to what I was referencing, you called me obnoxious. Which, fair point. 

Then you post the sentence, "You are missing an irrelevant point," I'm assuming in an effort to test my sanity. That's my take on our exchange here. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know that I had a point. I don't think I care that much.

It was mostly a reference to the horrific circumstances Scott Drew inherited when he took over at Baylor. It went beyond a normal "they were a terrible team." It wasn't meant as a correction, as much as I assumed you'd get the reference and laugh/groan/frown about the whole sordid affair. Then you posted a screenshot of Baylor's records going back to 1988 as if that meant something. When I tried to educate you as to what I was referencing, you called me obnoxious. Which, fair point. 

Then you post the sentence, "You are missing an irrelevant point," I'm assuming in an effort to test my sanity. That's my take on our exchange here. 

I wasn't disputing the murder incidence and how that impacted Baylor. If anything your point strenghtens my original point of Baylor not being in good shape at the time. Unfortunately, you chose to be antagonistic. Anyway, let's move on.

Edited by UTEE97

WTF is going on?

In my view, Self, Drew and Donovan aren't good analogs to RT.  Self showed an ability to improve as he moved up the coaching ladder.  Drew inherited a shitshow and we laughed at him for years, regardless, before he managed to figure out the best way to skirt decency and built a terrific team.  Donovan did better at Florida than anyone could have predicted, and it's not like he started with a program as robust as Texas is now.

I mean, I don't get it.  The fact that some guys have won a national title or two after starting out in lower D1 programs means . . . what exactly?  Does it mean RT will do the same?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

I wasn't disputing the murder incidence and how that impacted Baylor. If anything your point strenghtens my original point of Bayloe not being in good shape at the time. Unfortunately, you chose to be antagonistic. Anyway, let's move on.

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic. That part comes naturally. I was being cheeky, not antagonistic in my first response. From there I feel like I replied organically to nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

WTF is going on?

In my view, Self, Drew and Donovan aren't good analogs to RT.  Self showed an ability to improve as he moved up the coaching ladder.  Drew inherited a shitshow and we laughed at him for years, regardless, before he managed to figure out the best way to skirt decency and built a terrific team.  Donovan did better at Florida than anyone could have predicted, and it's not like he started with a program as robust as Texas is now.

I mean, I don't get it.  The fact that some guys have won a national title or two after starting out in lower D1 programs means . . . what exactly?  Does it mean RT will do the same?

Scott Drew made huge leaps when he ditched that horrible zone defense he kept parading out there. I can't stand that bastard, so it's caused me all kinds of consternation to see him succeed wildly. 

I don't care if people want to be hopeful about Terry. I mean, I'm not. I'm more akin to resigned. Just don't try to turn my frown upside down with talk of other elite coaches who struggled before hitting their stride. Bill Self's first two years at Oral Roberts before hitting the Willie Wonka elevator to storied heights is not a good analogy, as you've pointed out. 

To me, let's get a big run here, have a lot of fun rooting on our team, and if Terry is hired as the head coach because of it, so be it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Literally no Texas fan would have supported hiring Scott Drew in year 8.  I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he is a good coach and that is after National Title and multiple Elite 8s.

Here are some more:

Mike Krzyzewski first 8 years:  124-106 (53.9%)

image.png.a63a3c2accb7053fe1ad2b46710dec9b.png

Jim Calhoun first 8 years:  113-90  (55.6%)

image.png.a53eee2b0786e647e0d55e9f43c20cce.png

I'm not saying that Rodney Terry is going to be the next Mike Krzyzewski. I'm only saying that it is possible he will surprise some people with the level of success he has here if we indeed hire him (which is definitely not a done deal yet).

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Literally no Texas fan would have supported hiring Scott Drew in year 8.  I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he is a good coach and that is after National Title and multiple Elite 8s.

Here are some more:

Mike Krzyzewski first 8 years:  124-106 (53.9%)

image.png.a63a3c2accb7053fe1ad2b46710dec9b.png

Jim Calhoun first 8 years:  113-90  (55.6%)

image.png.a53eee2b0786e647e0d55e9f43c20cce.png

I'm not saying that Rodney Terry is going to be the next Mike Krzyzewski. I'm only saying that it is possible he will surprise some people with the level of success he has here if we indeed hire him (which is definitely not a done deal yet).

I wouldn't support hiring that weasel Scott Drew right now, much less after his first 8 years. I cannot stand that cocksucker. 

And if Rodney Terry is a career success at Texas, that will be a complete surprise to me. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but your lists aren't proving anything to me. 

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I wouldn't support hiring that weasel Scott Drew right now, much less after his first 8 years. I cannot stand that cocksucker. 

And if Rodney Terry is a career success at Texas, that will be a complete surprise to me. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but your lists aren't proving anything to me. 

Can you quantify what success is?   Or will you just continually move the goal posts?

Scott Drew built his program by cheating his ass off. 

The really weird thing about this situation is that Texas looked terrible a few weeks ago, constantly falling way behind in the first half of games. It’s only been the last few games where they’ve looked good. So is that coaching?

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

That’s your version of success.  Ok works for me.  I’ll put money on it.   If he’s hired he’ll last five years

The chances of me being active in 5 years are not very good. I'd likely welsh on it if you won. But yes, with next year being the first year, if he lasts through 5 years to make it to a 6th year, he will have been more successful to have done that than I anticipate. I'd consider that success on his part. 

2 minutes ago, BERT said:

At this point I hope we hire Terry just so I can see people bitch and moan on here. Especially that loser Loop whatever his name is

All I know is Kansas wasn’t trying and we still barely beat them

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The chances of me being active in 5 years are not very good. I'd likely welsh on it if you won. But yes, with next year being the first year, if he lasts through 5 years to make it to a 6th year, he will have been more successful to have done that than I anticipate. I'd consider that success on his part. 

Indeed.   Whine and whine and admittedly welsh when you’re wrong.  

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Scott Drew built his program by cheating his ass off. 

The really weird thing about this situation is that Texas looked terrible a few weeks ago, constantly falling way behind in the first half of games. It’s only been the last few games where they’ve looked good. So is that coaching?

I would say so. I've already pointed out our new emphasis on the post up game. I feel like Allen having to take a seat allowed Terry to move the lineups around in ways he wasn't willing to do previously, and it's helped in a variety of ways. Not that the team wouldn't be better with Allen, because I think they would, but being able to play with different lineups for the first time since Beard's suspension has been good for the team, IMO.

Also, Hunter has come on of late. Could be he's better healed from an injury? I don't know. 

The problem is so much of how a coach is measured is in terms of tournament performance. So while all of this has been a feel good story, and I'm ecstatic we won the Big 12 tournament, next week is when the rubber hits the road. 

But absolutely I credit some of the things I've seen this weekend to coaching. 

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Indeed.   Whine and whine and admittedly welsh when you’re wrong.  

Is this supposed to hurt my feelings? I'm answering your posts as honestly as possible. Not sure what more you want, and I don't really care. 

I'll bet you $10,000 dollars Rodney Terry will not be the coach at Texas for the season 2029-30. Is that better? Charity of your choice, with the same conditions for you. We can give the money to Pancho as an escrow agent. 

BTW, no money in escrow, no bet. 

Edited by SL Xpress

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Is this supposed to hurt my feelings? I'm answering your posts as honestly as possible. Not sure what more you want, and I don't really care. 

I'll bet you $10,000 dollars Rodney Terry will not be the coach at Texas for the season 2029-30. Is that better? Charity of your choice, with the same conditions for you. We can give the money to Pancho as an escrow agent. 

BTW, no money in escrow, no bet. 

If you're not going to be around in 5 years, why would I make that bet? 

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I would say so. I've already pointed out our new emphasis on the post up game. I feel like Allen having to take a seat allowed Terry to move the lineups around in ways he wasn't willing to do previously, and it's helped in a variety of ways. Not that the team wouldn't be better with Allen, because I think they would, but being able to play with different lineups for the first time since Beard's suspension has been good for the team, IMO.

Also, Hunter has come on of late. Could be he's better healed from an injury? I don't know. 

The problem is so much of how a coach is measured is in terms of tournament performance. So while all of this has been a feel good story, and I'm ecstatic we won the Big 12 tournament, next week is when the rubber hits the road. 

And that's why both Shaka and Chris were hired, no?  Neither of them dominated their respective conferences.  Besides, a good percentage of posters here have said they'd rather lose in the first or second round if it means being rid of Terry.   It's almost as if there's two different standards here.

I'll pass on the 10k bet I'll do 1k.  You said you likely wouldn't be around in 5 years and I don't want our kids paying out the bet.   If Terry is hired, he'll last five years.  I paid up within twenty minutes when I lost to CTJ, but I'll escrow it with immamac if you want.  If Terry isn't hired, bet is off.  

It's just laughable that Terry may not be our standard.  What is our standard?  Multiple elite 8s?  Consecutive 27 win seasons?  Whatever it is, if Terry had hit it, most of you would change the parameters or say he did it with someone else's players. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

If you're not going to be around in 5 years, why would I make that bet? 

That's why the money goes in escrow. If I'm not around the money still is. 

Frankly I find it beyond idiotic to make a bet that won't have a result in five years. I hate making bets anyway. But if we're going to do it, let's do it. If Pancho won't hold the money we'll find someone we can agree on who will. I'll send the money out FedEx tomorrow in certified funds in the name of whoever is the escrow agent to their address. If you haven't matched it in 14 days I'll get my money back. 

I don't need your money, and I have no desire to send you any, so it will go to a charity of our choosing, whoever wins the bet. If Terry is the coach at the start of the 2029 season, it will go to a charity of your choosing. If he leaves the job before then it will go to a charity of my choosing. 

I want to be clear I think the whole thing is stupid, and I think you're dumb if you take me up on it. But whatever. Talking about bets to make a point is lazy in my mind, so it's worth calling you out on it for that reason alone. 

That's why the money goes in escrow. If I'm not around the money still is. 

Frankly I find it beyond idiotic to make a bet that won't have a result in five years. I hate making bets anyway. But if we're going to do it, let's do it. If Pancho won't hold the money we'll find someone we can agree on who will. I'll send the money out FedEx tomorrow in certified funds in the name of whoever is the escrow agent to their address. If you haven't matched it in 14 days I'll get my money back. 

I don't need your money, and I have no desire to send you any, so it will go to a charity of our choosing, whoever wins the bet. If Terry is the coach at the start of the 2029 season, it will go to a charity of your choosing. If he leaves the job before then it will go to a charity of my choosing. 

I want to be clear I think the whole thing is stupid, and I think you're dumb if you take me up on it. But whatever. Talking about bets to make a point is lazy in my mind, so it's worth calling you out on it for that reason alone. 

You've already been called out for the name calling.  Are you always this emotional or is it just the threat of having a guy "who's not our standard" be our head coach?  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And that's why both Shaka and Chris were hired, no?  Neither of them dominated their respective conferences.  Besides, a good percentage of posters here have said they'd rather lose in the first or second round if it means being rid of Terry.   It's almost as if there's two different standards here.

I'll pass on the 10k bet I'll do 1k.  You said you likely wouldn't be around in 5 years and I don't want our kids paying out the bet.   If Terry is hired, he'll last five years.  I paid up within twenty minutes when I lost to CTJ, but I'll escrow it with immamac if you want.  If Terry isn't hired, bet is off.  

It's just laughable that Terry may not be our standard.  What is our standard?  Multiple elite 8s?  Consecutive 27 win seasons?  Whatever it is, if Terry had hit it, most of you would change the parameters or say he did it with someone else's players. 

No, it's 10k or nothing. If this is going to take 5 years I want it to be worth my while.

I haven't seen a good portion of posters say they'd rather lose in the first or second rounds if it means being rid of Terry. I've seen one, and I think he's an idiot.

The escrow is as much for your protection as mine. But 5 years is a long time. If we're doing this, let's make sure the funds are there. 

I have no idea what "our standard" is. Why am I suddenly speaking for anyone other than me? My opinion of Terry was formed a long time ago while he was an assistant under Barnes. Nothing he did after he left changed my mind. This season doesn't change my mind. I've liked what I've seen the last few games, but that doesn't say anything about his ability to run a program. I know Gerry is saying none of the assistants are going to leave, but they haven't had Beard make an appeal to them, yet, and they haven't had tensions in the staff, yet. 

I've already said what my parameter is. He just needs to be able to keep the job. Do well enough to stay as the head coach at Texas and he's done enough to be considered a success as far as I'm concerned. That seems pretty cut and dried to me. But again, I'm not trying to speak for anyone else, and I'm certainly not trying to pretend my "standard" should be anyone else's. 

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You've already been called out for the name calling.  Are you always this emotional or is it just the threat of having a guy "who's not our standard" be our head coach?  

I was called out by UTEE7 for name calling because he was making nonsensical posts. I felt like I was very unemotional in explaining my responses to him.

You keep mentioning this "our standard" thing. I don't know where you're getting this from. I've never claimed to speak for UT or what its standard should be. I have my opinion, and that's it. That's all its ever been.  

No, it's 10k or nothing. If this is going to take 5 years I want it to be worth my while.

I haven't seen a good portion of posters say they'd rather lose in the first or second rounds if it means being rid of Terry. I've seen one, and I think he's an idiot.

The escrow is as much for your protection as mine. But 5 years is a long time. If we're doing this, let's make sure the funds are there. 

I have no idea what "our standard" is. Why am I suddenly speaking for anyone other than me? My opinion of Terry was formed a long time ago while he was an assistant under Barnes. Nothing he did after he left changed my mind. This season doesn't change my mind. I've liked what I've seen the last few games, but that doesn't say anything about his ability to run a program. I know Gerry is saying none of the assistants are going to leave, but they haven't had Beard make an appeal to them, yet, and they haven't had tensions in the staff, yet. 

I've already said what my parameter is. He just needs to be able to keep the job. Do well enough to stay as the head coach at Texas and he's done enough to be considered a success as far as I'm concerned. That seems pretty cut and dried to me. But again, I'm not trying to speak for anyone else, and I'm certainly not trying to pretend my "standard" should be anyone else's. 

I’m a poor.  I’m out on 10k.  I’ll just root for whoever the coach is, provided he doesn’t choke his wife or cover up for murderous players

• Like 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I’m a poor.  I’m out on 10k.  I’ll just root for whoever the coach is, provided he doesn’t choke his wife or cover up for murderous players

That sounds like a good plan. Certainly better than mine, where I have a lasting bitterness about Chris Beard and his decisions that led to that night. Let's root for a deep run this coming weekend and beyond. These guys have been fun to follow, and I'm grateful to Terry for helping to get everyone to this point. 

I hope people come back to eat crow after a year for being wrong on whatever side they are so passionately arguing for. We are in a roller coaster as a fanbase right now. We have no idea what the future holds for this program. If RT had success somewhere, anywhere, as a HC building a program, this decision would have been a no brainer.

Now there is no way to know how he will do when the seniors leave and some of the assistants, who were pulled by Beard, potentially leave. They want to be associated with top tier coaches for the betterment of their own career. When you don't know these things, you look at history  and that's not too kind to RT. If he was doing this with a bunch of underclassmen who were expected to return, then it would have been a much easier decision.

Edited by UTEE97

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I hope people come back to eat crow after a year for being wrong on whatever side they are so passionately arguing for. We are in a roller coaster as a fanbase right now. We have no idea what the future holds for this program. If RT had success somewhere, anywhere, as a HC building a program, this decision would have been a no brainer.

Now there is no way to know how he will do when the seniors leave and some of the assistants, who were pulled by Beard, potentially leave. They want to be associated with top tier coaches for the betterment of their own career. When you don't know these things, you look at history  and that's not too kind to RT. If he was doing this with a bunch of underclassmen who were expected to return, then it would have been a much easier decision.

image.jpeg.ead6c1e1f54cb0260e83e20ff3230d8f.jpeg