Rodney Terry

HookEm

I hope people come back to eat crow after a year for being wrong on whatever side they are so passionately arguing for. We are in a roller coaster as a fanbase right now. We have no idea what the future holds for this program. If RT had success somewhere, anywhere, as a HC building a program, this decision would have been a no brainer.
Now there is no way to know how he will do when the seniors leave and some of the assistants, who were pulled by Beard, potentially leave. They want to be associated with top tier coaches for the betterment of their own career. When you don't know these things, you look at history  and that's not too kind to RT. If he was doing this with a bunch of underclassmen who were expected to return, then it would have been a much easier decision.

Taking the position that RT has earned the job is not the same as guaranteeing “success” (however that is defined). So if he doesn’t work out, nobody needs to eat Jack shit.

Next years team will be a challenge, regardless of who coaches, starting with grabbing some pieces out of the portal and then meshing a whole new roster.

So if RT manages a Top 4 conference finish and/or makes it to weekend 2 in ‘24, then the only things eaten around here will be your and Loop 410’s dicks, by each other.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Taking the position that RT has earned the job is not the same as guaranteeing “success” (however that is defined). So if he doesn’t work out, nobody needs to eat Jack shit.

Next years team will be a challenge, regardless of who coaches, starting with grabbing some pieces out of the portal and then meshing a whole new roster.

So if RT manages a Top 4 conference finish and/or makes it to weekend 2 in ‘24, then the only things eaten around here will be your and Loop 410’s dicks, by each other.

RT hasn’t earned a god damn thing. He took a roster built by Chris Beard and managed not to fuck it up too badly.

Once we lose to Colgate or aggy the clamoring for a mediocre coach to take over this program will be silenced.

Also, fuck your own face you piece of trash.

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Fuck You 21

RT hasn’t earned a god damn thing. He took a roster built by Chris Beard and managed not to fuck it up too badly.
Once we lose to Colgate or aggy the clamoring for a mediocre coach to take over this program will be silenced.

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

RT has earned a bonus, not the permanent job - a simple concept that many can't seem to understand. Glad you guys don't make any hiring decisions at our athletic department, and hopefully nowhere for that matter.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

RT has earned a bonus, not the permanent job - a sinple concept that many can't seem to understand. Glad you guys don't make any hiring decisions at our athletic department, and hopefully nowhere for that matter.

The Office Thank You GIF

Just now, HookEm said:

What would it take in your mind for him to earn the job?

Go back in time and win more games when he was a head coach at two different schools.

• Fuck You 9

46 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

I’m not a RT fan but you are the first person I am going to put on ignore. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:
RT has earned a bonus, not the permanent job - a sinple concept that many can't seem to understand. Glad you guys don't make any hiring decisions at our athletic department, and hopefully nowhere for that matter.

There’s a reason we don't let engineers do anything beyond engineering shit.

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

There’s a reason we only let engineers do anything beyond engineering shit.

I also have an MBA and have founded and run successful businesses and investments.  Guess what, I couldn't do that without my EE background, so try again.

6 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

I expect lots of crow to be served up here in a week or so...delicious. 

You are the only Texas fan on here actively rooting for this team to lose.

I would encourage you to keep continuing your act of idiotic takes so we can keep laughing but it's tiring at this point.

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Whole new roster? There is a better chance that the roster contains Hunter, Morris, Mitchell, Disu, Cunningham, Anamewke, Brumbaugh, Holland, and Johnson than not. That's 9 guys with 7 returning, before even considering the portal.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Whole new roster? There is a better chance that the roster contains Hunter, Morris, Mitchell, Disu, Cunningham, Anamewke, Brumbaugh, Holland, and Johnson than not. That's 9 guys with 7 returning, before even considering the portal.

Disu participated in Senior Day including the "Thank You Seniors" official Twitter account post prior to that game, so I'm figuring he's gone.  And despite whatever number of "returning players" we have, any roster that doesn't include Timmie Allen, Marcus Carr, Christian Bishop, Sir'Jabbari Rice, and Dylan Disu is a substantially (technically a better word that my use of "whole") different roster.

Edited by MirrOlure

10 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Disu participated in Senior Day including the "Thank You Seniors" official Twitter account post prior to that game, so I'm figuring he's gone.  And despite whatever number of "returning players" we have, any roster that doesn't include Timmie Allen, Marcus Carr, Christian Bishop, Sir'Jabbari Rice, and Dylan Disu is a substantially (technically a better work that my use of "whole") different roster.

There's been some paysite stuff that he may consider returning for one final year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

What would it take in your mind for him to earn the job?

It's a fair question and something you and I can't answer based on this season's performance alone. He will have an interview with CDC as has been reported already. Then I would assume CDC would  grill him on various things, including his vision for Texas, roster management, and assistant coaches retention and/or hiring. Big time coaches have a strong rolodex of assistants they can call upon. Does Terry have one? I don't know. A good hiring process will involve a lot of Q&As that fans are not privy to.

Edited by UTEE97

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

It's a fair question and something you and I can't answer based on this season's performance alone. He will have an interview with CDC as has been reported already. Then I would assume CDC would  grill him on various things, including his vision for Texas, roster management, and assistant coaches retention and/or hiring. Big time coaches have a strong rolodex of assistants they can call upon. Does Terry have one? I don't know. A good hiring process will involve a lot of Q&As that fans are not privy to.

The entire coaching staff is staying if Terry is given the job. If Odgen goes back to basketball operations, then there is one assistant opening.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Disu participated in Senior Day including the "Thank You Seniors" official Twitter account post prior to that game, so I'm figuring he's gone.  And despite whatever number of "returning players" we have, any roster that doesn't include Timmie Allen, Marcus Carr, Christian Bishop, Sir'Jabbari Rice, and Dylan Disu is a substantially (technically a better word that my use of "whole") different roster.

At the Kansas game Disu’s mom told me he would come back if the $ was right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I hope he can recruit because not giving him the job will be a horrible look for the dept 

How many of you think the Cowboys won a Super Bowl because Barry Switzer was a good pro coach or did he walk into to great situation created by JJ?

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

How many of you think the Cowboys won a Super Bowl because Barry Switzer was a good pro coach or did he walk into to great situation created by JJ?

Nonetheless, the Cowboys didn't go out and hire someone else after they won the Super Bowl. 

If people want to think Rodney Terry is a terrific coach based on what they've seen this year, let them. I don't see what harm it causes. None of us are making the hiring decision. It will play out over time. I hope he retires a legend and the court is named after him. Barring that, I hope he helps to create some great memories before he's canned. I'm grateful to him for this year. I hope for a deep run. Let's see what this group can accomplish together, and by that I'm including Terry as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Nonetheless, the Cowboys didn't go out and hire someone else after they won the Super Bowl. 

If people want to think Rodney Terry is a terrific coach based on what they've seen this year, let them. I don't see what harm it causes. None of us are making the hiring decision. It will play out over time. I hope he retires a legend and the court is named after him. Barring that, I hope he helps to create some great memories before he's canned. I'm grateful to him for this year. I hope for a deep run. Let's see what this group can accomplish together, and by that I'm including Terry as well. 

I’m all in on seeing what they can do in the tournament. As I’ve said many times I just love this team.  I guess I’m just looking at the probabilities of keeping it going for a few years. 

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’m all in on seeing what they can do in the tournament. As I’ve said many times I just love this team.  I guess I’m just looking at the probabilities of keeping it going for a few years. 

Well, regardless of who is the next coach they'll have their work cut out for them. This is a senior laden roster. If Beard was the coach I wouldn't think twice about it because the dude is a wizard at roster management. But I don't know if the next guy will be anywhere as good. 

I'm like the zen master in Charlie Wilson's War. "We'll see!"

Terry is no Beard. He’s worse at building a team but better at avoiding felony arrests. Turns out the latter matters more in Austin. I’ll reserve judgment on how much he may have matured as a coach until I see how he coaches in tournament games that matter, and (if applicable) what he puts on the court next year. For now I just have to hope the valid negatives about him that have been enumerated end up not mattering. He is already coaching us, and I want to win. Every game.

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

Was hoping some of our NIL experts would weigh in on it. 

I'm very far from NIL expert, but according to this random dude on the internet, the most common Euro basketball salaries are between $400-$800k.  So NIL would need to get somewhere close to that.  I would hope NIL could get Disu $500k?

https://www.josecolorado.com/blog/euroleague-basketball-salary

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Imagine calling yourself a UT fan and rooting for us to lose to A&M in anything ever.

If we play Aggy in the second round, I'm going to put $1000 on the A&M Money Line, just so I can have something to console me if we lose.  

Edited by Hornlover

8 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

I expect lots of crow to be served up here in a week or so...delicious. 

You went from saying Texas was going to lose in the first round of the Big 12 tournament to shifting your argument around "The Big 12 tournament doesn't matter."

I would probably stop talking about other people eating crow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Screenshot2023-03-13at6_35_14PM.thumb.png.ee1f86ccee0c27b52aaa22449bf14f96.png

Morris is not a lock. AAU circles it’s pretty well known he’s been talking portal. Not happy with his minutes.  He’s held it together well. Being surrounded by older guys probably helped. RT knows but I’m not sure how it’s been handled. 
The guy is super talented and is going to be really good. Rightfully so, he wants to be the featured guy.  Not sure how the freshmen factor into that. Hope they can figure out a way for him to stay. 

12 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Morris is not a lock. AAU circles it’s pretty well known he’s been talking portal. Not happy with his minutes.  He’s held it together well. Being surrounded by older guys probably helped. RT knows but I’m not sure how it’s been handled. 
The guy is super talented and is going to be really good. Rightfully so, he wants to be the featured guy.  Not sure how the freshmen factor into that. Hope they can figure out a way for him to stay. 

It seems like that should resolve itself pretty naturally with guys leaving.

10 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Doesn’t shock me at all to hear that. He seemed pretty checked out but looks like he has found a second wind over the last month or so. He certainly isn’t ready to run an offense for 20 minutes a game with how his game currently is.

With all the veteran guards on this team, we probably all slightly overestimated what Morris would bring to the table this year.

16 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Can't we just rent a fleet of hookers for him and all his homeboys and tell him he's gonna get 30 minutes a game next year?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Doesn’t shock me at all to hear that. He seemed pretty checked out but looks like he has found a second wind over the last month or so. He certainly isn’t ready to run an offense for 20 minutes a game with how his game currently is.

With all the veteran guards on this team, we probably all slightly overestimated what Morris would bring to the table this year.

Which begs the question of development. 

I don’t know how far we’ll go in the tournament. I would hope for 2nd weekend at least based on our seasoned roster and excellent season. We’ve played in a ton of tough games.

I don’t know if Rodney Terry is the guy. I’m definitely willing to give him a shot. I think he’s earned it, keeping the season together this year, leading us to a conference tournament title and #2 seed. The players love him and it’s a great story.

What I do know is someone is going to be a complete fucking bitch whatever happens.

Edited by Scholz