Rodney Terry

HookEm

9 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I don't read Bohls, but I'm using the fact that RT hasn't been offered the job. Yet. 

Maybe RT is in the driver's seat here and not CDC.

You don’t know whether he’s been offered the job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wow--anybody asking for Terry to make the FF or EE in order to be hired should be looking at the landscape right now and ask if they would've considered any of these coaches.  Nothing is guaranteed.  I do like Larranaga, but not enough to hire him at Texas.  I liked what he did at George Mason, taking them as far as he did, and now with Miami.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well at the absolute worst there will only be 4 coaches in the whole country that did better than he did this year.

<Surly> Well, he should've won it all I can't get on board with a guy that never won at UTEP or Fresno </Surly>

• Haha 1

Not sure what happened exactly to cause it but since the last two weeks of conference play the defense has played better than it did under Beard. They suffocated Penn State and Xavier, prolific offenses. 

Miami presents a whole new set of challenges but as a lover of pressure man D this has been an absolute joy to watch. The intensity is relentless. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Chad said:

<Surly> Well, he should've won it all I can't get on board with a guy that never won at UTEP or Fresno </Surly>

The Fresno argument never made any sense, he took that team to the tourney and it’s the only time they’ve been there in the last 20 years.

They’ve only been there 6 times in school history and one of those appearances got vacated.

• Hook 'Em 3

Proud of the team and proud of all the coaches but most especially Terry. Only coach to basically come into this with the interim tag and didn’t let that bother him at all. Just came in a coaches and got us to the EE. Hell of a damn great job and we should all be proud of Terry and the Team! 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Rodney was there for the Final 4 and the other two Elite 8's under Rick Barnes.  He coached Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge.  His players love him.  He just won a National COY award.  We're in the Elite 8 for the first time in 15 years.
Everybody's assuming he can't recruit, and I say why not? 
Why wouldn't every blue chip in Texas be ready to fucking sign right now, to play for this guy, in a Texas jersey, in the beautiful new Moody Center, as we head into the SEC?
Give it to him.  Announce it tomorrow.

Great idea. Add drama with an announcement.

Also, where in the hell did you see he can’t recruit?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Terry can't be the second ever interim head coach to win the national title if we make him the permanent head coach now. Wait until after the season is over. He knows he has the job.

Besides sitting down and working out contracts and shit takes time, best not to distract him right now. Plenty of time for that in April.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Rodney was there for the Final 4 and the other two Elite 8's under Rick Barnes.  He coached Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge.  His players love him.  He just won a National COY award.  We're in the Elite 8 for the first time in 15 years.

Why wouldn't every blue chip in Texas be ready to fucking sign right now, to play for this guy, in a Texas jersey, in the beautiful new Moody Center, as we head into the SEC?

he recruited Sir’Jabari Rice, Ron Holland and AJ Johnson in the last 12 months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Great idea. Add drama with an announcement.

Also, where in the hell did you see he can’t recruit?

I didn't say that.  But the only reason anyone has given for wanting to replace him is, "we don't know if he can actually build a roster himself."

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure you guys have covered this already, but it just hit me that the only question remaining now is how many years on the contract, and what price?  

Maybe RT is so comfortable with this team that he honestly expects to be in the final four and he told CDC he would like to wait until the end? 

We win it all he gets what, an 8 year  or 10 year deal?  Is there such a thing?  We get to final four and lose he gets a 6 year deal?

We lose Sunday and it's a 5 year deal?  

On 3/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, Loop 1604 said:

RT hasn’t earned a god damn thing. He took a roster built by Chris Beard and managed not to fuck it up too badly.

Once we lose to Colgate or aggy the clamoring for a mediocre coach to take over this program will be silenced.

Also, fuck your own face you piece of trash.

Taste my greasy, skanky bridge you twat.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Thankfully you're not the AD.

The job is already Terry's. It was once he got to the 2nd weekend. Probably was his once he climbed the ladder in KC.

Let the tournament play out. Making "announcements" right now is the last thing you want to be doing. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

I'm sure you guys have covered this already, but it just hit me that the only question remaining now is how many years on the contract, and what price?  

Maybe RT is so comfortable with this team that he honestly expects to be in the final four and he told CDC he would like to wait until the end? 

We win it all he gets what, an 8 year  or 10 year deal?  Is there such a thing?  We get to final four and lose he gets a 6 year deal?

We lose Sunday and it's a 5 year deal?  

Easy Thunder…

28 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The job should definitely be his, and most likely behind the scenes he knows that, but let’s focus on the next 3 games and then announce it during the championship post game.

Yeah, while this is probably overthinking it, I’d also wait to announce it. The players seem inspired to play for him to win a contract

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I didn't say that.  But the only reason anyone has given for wanting to replace him is, "we don't know if he can actually build a roster himself."

Building a roster involves identifying the correct players to recruit.  Just because 5 of the top 10 players want to sign with you doesn't mean you sign all 5 if they don't fit your culture (see University of Kentucky).  That's the question with Terry.  Can he identify the correct players to build a cohesive roster like the one everyone is raving about at the moment.  Sure, he played a role in getting guys on campus but how much did he play in identifying the "right guys"?

As mentioned in another thread, Keyonte George wanted to sign with UT.  Beard passed.  He signed with Baylor and most people believe he was a negative for that team.  Would Terry have passed on him?  That's what people are questioning.    

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Definitely not the only reason.  Most held his time at Fresno and utep against him.  Some questioned if he would be able to build a roster or instill a culture. There’s also been “we’ve played crappy teams in tournament.”  Hoping nobody went the not organized route.  

they won’t say it now but they’d rather give credit to beard than Rodney.  

I think elite 8 did it. 

I gotta admit initially I thought hed fail. I kept waiting for it actually.
But RT has earned it. Everyone loves the guy. Hes genuine and cares about his players and this university. You see him hug his old player from xavier postgame? Damn. Hes grown on me.
Hes earned everything hes got coming to him. Its a done deal. Only question is for how much $ and how long is the contract?

• Hook 'Em 1