Rodney Terry

HookEm

11 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Which begs the question of development. 

Even in the cupcake games it was shaky with him. Just looked back and he was shooting 35% from the field (17 of 48) up until the Rice game. Has been 44% (43 for 97) since against much tougher competition, which is somewhat encouraging. Maybe the game has slowed down a bit.

Not an excuse, but it's probably not the easiest to develop as a 4th guard getting 10-12 minutes a game off the bench.

We’re a 2 seed. That means if we play to our seed we should be in the Elite 8. Anything less and Terry should not be brought back (especially with our draw good god). Anything more and sure, give him the job because what the fuck coach would come here if we gas a dude that made a Final 4.

What will be interesting is if we lose in the regional final. But if we made it there only Loop 1604 would be unhappy I’m guessing. 

On 3/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, MrX said:

We’re a 2 seed. That means if we play to our seed we should be in the Elite 8. Anything less and Terry should not be brought back (especially with our draw good god). Anything more and sure, give him the job because what the fuck coach would come here if we gas a dude that made a Final 4.

What will be interesting is if we lose in the regional final. But if we made it there only Loop 1604 would be unhappy I’m guessing. 

If we were a 3, would we need to make the totally tubular 12? Playing to your seed is dumb as fuck.

Do we take the interim tag off tomorrow or after the tournament ends?!?!? 

I fucking love the guy. The whole starting every day with the team by telling them it’s a beautiful day to be alive is right up my alley.

You show up. You work hard. You’re humble, you’re grateful, you believe in yourself, and you do your best.

That seems to be what he’s all about and that’s also what I’m all about.

Maybe he will fail in the coming years. But I sure want to give him a shot to succeed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Do we take the interim tag off tomorrow or after the tournament ends?!?!? 

I fucking love the guy. The whole starting every day with the team by telling them it’s a beautiful day to be alive is right up my alley.

You show up. You work hard. You’re humble, you’re grateful, you believe in yourself, and you do your best.

That seems to be what he’s all about and that’s also what I’m all about.

Maybe he will fail in the coming years. But I sure want to give him a shot to succeed.

When did this become an After School Special?

Edited by CTC2
  • Haha 1

I’d love to see Texas get another really tough coach with a high percentage win record before settling on RT. Could he have suddenly found his grove as a head coach? Maybe. Could it be a tough/talented team was built and needed his style of coaching following the loss of their leader? Most likely.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, CTC2 said:

When did this become an After School Special?

You can your life however you like

I’ll live mine working hard, doing my best, showing up every day, and being as optimistic as possible

It’s worked for me  beyond my wildest imagination so far TBH 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You can your life however you like

I’ll live mine working hard, doing my best, showing up every day, and being as optimistic as possible

It’s worked for me  beyond my wildest imagination so far TBH 

To be fair, showing up everyday isn’t really anything to brag about in living your life. The alternative is you’re dead.

Just now, formermav43 said:

To be fair, showing up everyday isn’t really anything to brag about in living your life. The alternative is you’re dead.

Nah man. Tons of people call in sick, flake out, etc. There’s tons of people who don’t show up for their jobs, their families, their friends, etc. for whatever reason. Life is hard sometimes.

When I started doing my PhD at Texas I was 24 and my best friend got killed in a random car accident one month into my first semester. Believe me when I tell you it was not nothing to show up for my classes/responsibilities and do my work at that point in time. 

Showing up is not nothing. Cal Ripken Jr is a legend for a reason. Because he always showed up and did his best. No matter what.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

My point is that I think his attitude is very helpful as a leader. These kids are dealing with all sorts of shit, I’m sure. Having a leader who says every day is a beautiful day that you should make the most of us helpful imo.

I love a leader showing up every day optimistic, ready to work, encouraging them to appreciate and make the most of the day no matter what: I’m a professor and it’s worked well for me in dealing with college students the same age as our players. Young people respond to that energy in my experience.

But I’m a corny ass after school special guy and I make no apologies for it. So RT really resonates with me personally 

Sorry to ramble. I absolutely love this team and I’m over the moon after that W

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’d love to see Texas get another really tough coach with a high percentage win record before settling on RT. Could he have suddenly found his grove as a head coach? Maybe. Could it be a tough/talented team was built and needed his style of coaching following the loss of their leader? Most likely.

This guy seems happy

29228187-closeup-of-texas-longhorn-trees

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Ha there is no way that is the case. Needs two more wins.

wrong.  Hartzell and Del Conte have no choice at this point. 

Terry hasn't done anything as a head coach in the past. But the fuckstick Beard left Terry out to dry on Dec. 12. Terry's response? Galvanize and organize a team that won the conference tournament and in the process destroyed god's gift to CBB in back to back games, and has won 28 games, and advanced to the round of 16 with a really resilient effort tonight. 

Again, Hartzell and Del Conte have no choice.

Terry's the coach. Doesn't matter what happens in the round of 16. And he may well deserve the job.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Terry hasn't done anything as a head coach in the past. But the fuckstick Beard left Terry out to dry on Dec. 12. Terry's response? Galvanize and organize a team that won the conference tournament and in the process destroyed god's gift to CBB in back to back games, and has won 28 games, and advanced to the round of 16 with a really resilient effort tonight. 

Again, Hartzell and Del Conte have no choice.

Terry's the coach. Doesn't matter what happens in the round of 16. And he may well deserve the job.

Yep. You’re 100% correct.

”This guy took over a dumpster fire and then led us to our best finish in at least 15 years but he’s not good enough” is not a logical position 

Especially when everyone who knows the guy seems to fucking love him 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, Loop 1604 said:

RT hasn’t earned a god damn thing. He took a roster built by Chris Beard and managed not to fuck it up too badly.

Once we lose to Colgate or aggy the clamoring for a mediocre coach to take over this program will be silenced.

Also, fuck your own face you piece of trash.

You are 100% Team Bitchassedness.

At least you aren't on the fence. I can respect it.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

That was a fun win. And I thought the coaching was great.  Even though I have been saying Elite 8 or Final Four all year, I think I've seen enough.

But I wouldn't announce anything yet.  Let the players still think they are fighting for him. Don't take the foot off the gas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 11:31 AM, Loop 1604 said:

I expect lots of crow to be served up here in a week or so...delicious. 

And I'm not taking about a grackle... I'm talking about one of those giant mountain ravens you see around the grand canyon.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, MrX said:

Following this logic, Rodney Terry should be in line for the Purdue and Kansas jobs that are coming open.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

What an odd hard line to take.  For one thing, you can't be proven wrong unless we lose next time out.  Beyond that, you have no fucking idea what CDC and the higher-ups are planning.

Texas fans are hilarious.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dunno if RT is the answer, but I'm hoping he and the players keep winning and make it a moot question. This team deserves 30 wins, damnit!

I'm hoping he can find time to coach in between teaching his high school poetry classes or whatever dorky thing he teaches, because based on how he looks/dresses, you can't tell me he's not secretly teaching some dorky thing that we are all going to be surprised about.

Also, SOMEBODY on the coaching staff deserves a ton of credit for the development work they have been putting in with Disu.  That dude has gone from being a liability to a complete monster.  And that development has happened AFTER Beard left the team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, HookEm said:

Also, SOMEBODY on the coaching staff deserves a ton of credit for the development work they have been putting in with Disu.  That dude has gone from being a liability to a complete monster.  And that development has happened AFTER Beard left the team.

If they keep Terry it’s essential they keep Coach Bob. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

His name is Bob Donewald. Beard handed him the offense at the beginning of the season, including development of the interior players.

The proof is in the pudding. This team's go-to went from the perimeter to a balance toward it's front-line players over the last several weeks. And it's why Texas is playing in the 2nd weekend. Without that development from Donewald Texas is going home tonight to begin off-season workouts.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Everything about Donewald seems like the real deal. We better be ready to throw him a bag. 

I think the biggest appeal to Terry is just keeping Donewald. 

Gerry Hamilton mentioned tonight that Donewald and Terry were the ones who stood on the table for Rice and brought his name to Beard and told him Texas needed this guy.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton mentioned tonight that Donewald and Terry were the ones who stood on the table for Rice and brought his name to Beard and told him Texas needed this guy.

I've understood the same although Terry drove things with Rice.

Someone may be able to add to that.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I've understood the same although Terry drove things with Rice.

Someone may be able to add to that.

Correct. Terry played against him at UTEP.

The way Gerry made it sound is that assistants often brought names to Beard from the portal and Rice was someone the coaching staff was all-in on before Beard even got involved.

• Hook 'Em 1