Rodney Terry

HookEm

20 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I don't think its a prayer, I think you'd find out rather quickly if Terry could do so or not. I don't think anyone is suggesting we lock Terry up long term based on this year. But the unrealistic expectations some of you are setting for him to get the interim tag removed is asinine. Terry bleeds burnt orange and in my personal opinion at least deserves another year to prove if he can hack it at this job if he takes this team to the second weekend. 

There is no option to hire someone to a short term deal. That’s just not how it works in college basketball and would be cutting the coaches legs out.

If you hire RT you’re committing to at least 3 years but probably at least 5. Everyone needs to stop with the stupid short term trial period takes 

My main point is to congratulate Terry for what he is doing and weigh it heavily in his interview for the permanent position. In no way do I want to make him the permanent coach before seeing how the season ends. And likely not even then. 

I also challenge the narrative that this is a “player-led team”. Literally nobody was saying that when Beard was still at the helm, and the players haven’t changed. People say it now because it helps diminish what Terry is doing.

• Hook 'Em 4

You would want to hire a coach who has had long-term success at building and leading a program(s) through multiple player cycles. Not just someone who has done a good job of handling a ready built team through the largest part of one season. You want someone who’s career proves they deserve the job, not someone who is working on building his resume for the job.

I appreciate and want to thank RT, he has done a good job for us this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

You would want to hire a coach who has had long-term success at building and leading a program(s) through multiple player cycles. Not just someone who has done a good job of handling a ready built team through the largest part of one season. You want someone who’s career proves they deserve the job, not someone who is working on building his resume for the job.

I appreciate and want to thank RT, he has done a good job for us this year.

You say this without realizing it's a fucking dice roll for every coach save 4-5, and those 4-5 you ain't getting. Our history with Shaka should tell you that.

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

I also challenge the narrative that this is a “player-led team”. Literally nobody was saying that when Beard was still at the helm, and the players haven’t changed

It's a player-led team out of necessity. When Beard was here, it didn't have to be. Players would automatically defer to a coach of his pedigree. Now the upperclassmen sense they need to lead the team because their future is on the line. Then you can see players huddling and giving instructions to each other and you also hear ESPN reporting how Carr took the clipboard from Terry to draw up plays.

I don't think this argument is a stretch given all these pieces of information. It doesn't take anything away from the job Terry is doing. He was asked to hold this team together this season, and he has done that admirably and while doing the job he is also making a case for being retained as the permanent coach.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I watch every game pretty intently and never recall hearing this. Is this like when you tried to say a few days ago that players didn't respect the way Terry talked?

ESPN sideline reporter said this. 

Look I like Coach Terry but I don't think he is the answer. I have many reasons, some of which I stated in previous posts. I also think coaches with long-term history will revert to the mean, so I don't get too giddy over one season's performance. Some poster may think I am an idiot, but I draw from a vast array of real life experience. 

Edited by UTEE97

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If Carr took the clipboard from Terry to draw up plays, that would have been caught by every camera in the arena. 

Was I daydreaming or did the ESPN sideline reporter mention Carr taking the clipboard from Terry and saying something like we just have to hold them for couple of shots and they will fold? Maybe I am going senile!

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

I also challenge the narrative that this is a “player-led team”. Literally nobody was saying that when Beard was still at the helm, and the players haven’t changed. People say it now because it helps diminish what Terry is doing.

Challenge away and believe what you want. There was a long article about it. It's pretty evident if you pay attention during games. I'm not sure why Terry doing a good job and the players stepping up and holding each other accountable is mutually exclusive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Was I daydreaming or did the ESPN sideline reporter mention Carr taking the clipboard from Terry and saying something like we just have to hold them for couple of shots and they will fold? Maybe I am going senile!

Oh you could be correct. I just personally don’t remember that. 

When we win the NC, it’ll make a great story to spread tho!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Yes, this was 100% said in the second half and if I recall, KU immediately went on a run after that. They did not get held for a couple of shots, and they did not, in fact, fold.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

My main point is to congratulate Terry for what he is doing and weigh it heavily in his interview for the permanent position. In no way do I want to make him the permanent coach before seeing how the season ends. And likely not even then. 

I have been to every home game and sit very close to the court and I can tell you that the players are very vocal in holding each other accountable for their play.  They get on each other when deserved and pick each other up when necessary.   In timeouts they are very engaged and they huddle nearly every stop in play.  They are probably the most vocal group I have seen. During the time that Hunter has been struggling, they players encourage him and never seem negative.  I have never seen a player on this team that has acted like they have a bad attitude about anything.  Not sure if that meets the definition of a player led team but they all seem very close and have genuine affection for each other.  
That’s part of why I like this team so much.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Yes, this was 100% said in the second half and if I recall, KU immediately went on a run after that. They did not get held for a couple of shots, and they did not, in fact, fold.

Yup.  The broadcast pointed it out, and then KU immediately went down and scored (which obliterated the "hold them scoreless for two possessions and they will fold" theory).

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HookEm said:

dude, you're way off base here. if it wasn't a player led team then we wouldn't have had every single elegible transfer player return. the article from The Athletic about this team spells out how out guys were shell shocked at first about the Beard news and then rallied around each other, deciding that this season was still in their hands, and that they ultimately decide how this season plays out. and did you see how hard Timmy was leading this team against KU? this is as much of a player-led team as i've ever seen. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

AAS article on Terry with some quotes from CDC

Big raise: Joe Biden says the economy is improving, and he can prove it by Texas interim basketball coach Rodney Terry, who has gotten a pay bump from his $500,000 annual salary to $1.2 million for this year. He has done a great job with an 11-4 record with two road losses to top 10 teams Tennessee and Kansas. … Speaking for the first time on the subject, Del Conte said he will “seriously” consider promoting Terry to the permanent head coaching job after the season. “Absolutely I will,” Del Conte told me before Monday's Kansas game. “Without a doubt, he’s a serious candidate for the position. I’m so proud of Terry and the coaching staff. It’s just been remarkable. He’ll be strongly considered.” … One question mark might have been Terry’s ability to recruit elite talent, but he reminded me in Lawrence that “I was very involved and instrumental in helping build this Texas team. I was the point guy in recruiting Tyrese Hunter, Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr. I was knee-deep with them.” … Along those lines, Terry said Texas’ huge two recruits, McDonald’s All-American 6-foot-8 forward Ron Holland and 6-foot-5 guard A.J. Johnson from Fresno, Calif., are holding strong after signing with the Longhorns. Were their phones ringing after Chris Beard got fired? “Probably initially, yes,” Terry said. “Are they firm? Presently we are.” Del Conte said Terry’s time as a head coach for 10 years wouldn’t be a big factor. “I don’t pay much attention to that,” he said. But asked if Terry's postseason success in the NCAA Tournament will play a role, he said, “I don’t want to get into that.” … One source said veteran coaches like Kentucky’s John Calipari and Iona’s Rick Pitino will not be considered. Del Conte wouldn’t say if he reached out to just-retired Jay Wright — he should — but few think the Villanova legend would consider Texas. … Del Conte said he has not reached out to any coaches or their athletic directors, but will use a head-hunting firm to properly vet all candidates about their backgrounds. He has to after firing Beard in less than a season-and-a-half. He does recognize the mere vacancy at Texas will have an affect on the marketplace. “Nothing has happened,” Del Conte said. “But just because the job is open, people are going to get raises. You’ll see 100 people get raises. But I’ve not had any contact with anybody. I think we have the best job in the country. And Rodney will be considered for the job when the time is right. I want to let the coaches and athletes have a year that is unencumbered. I don’t want any more distractions.”

• Like 1

I don't have a link, but just got a notice that Rodney Terry received a pay raise for this season more than doubling his salary to $1.2m. 

I don't understand that, as I thought he was already getting paid substantially more than $600k prior to this, but that's what the AP article says. 

Hookem2147 beat me to the punch. 

Edited by SL Xpress

CDC really can’t say anything else but RT is under consideration for the job he’s done as interim coach. What’s he gonna say while Texas is in sole possession of 1st place and top 10 in the polls? “Lol no fuck Terry”

none of that article is newsworthy 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

But asked if Terry's postseason success in the NCAA Tournament will play a role, he said, “I don’t want to get into that.” …

So yes it is lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

CDC really can’t say anything else but RT is under consideration for the job he’s done as interim coach. What’s he gonna say while Texas is in sole possession of 1st place and top 10 in the polls? “Lol no fuck Terry”

Exactly right.  This is one level better than the dreaded "vote of confidence".  He can't say anything else. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

none of that article is newsworthy 

Never said it was newsworthy. It was the first time I’ve seen CDC actually publicly answer questions about the search or Terry, so I found it interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Most talented and experienced team we've had in years and we were eliminated from Big12 title contention before the final weekend. RT had a good shot at getting a contract if we won the Big12 but now CDC has good reason to hire someone else.

edit: Oops I forgot OP outlined this was meant to be a sunshine thread. RT did a great job!!

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Most talented and experienced team we've had in years and we were eliminated from Big12 title contention before the final weekend. RT had a good shot at getting a contract if we won the Big12 but now CDC has good reason to hire someone else.

It's never really been about the regular season.

It's how far he makes it in the tournament. That's how coaches are measured, whether it should be or not. I don't expect this Texas team to make a deep run, but if they make it to the Final Four, the job will be his. Might be his with an Elite Eight appearance, especially considering that would only be our 4th in the 64 team era. 

We'll see what happens. My mind was made up about Terry 15 years ago, and nothing that I've seen since then has changed it. He's just not that great of a head coach. Quality assistant, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It's never really been about the regular season.

It's how far he makes it in the tournament. That's how coaches are measured, whether it should be or not. I don't expect this Texas team to make a deep run, but if they make it to the Final Four, the job will be his. Might be his with an Elite Eight appearance, especially considering that would only be our 4th in the 64 team era. 

We'll see what happens. My mind was made up about Terry 15 years ago, and nothing that I've seen since then has changed it. He's just not that great of a head coach. Quality assistant, though. 

He would make a great defensive coordinator

rodney terry is incapable of building a roster anywhere close to as good as this one, and we're about to finish either 3rd or 4th in the league behind KU (lost its top four players from last year, two of top 4 players this year are a true freshman wing player and a guy who averaged 1 ppg last year), BU (worst defense this league has seen in years), and K State (wildly inferior roster to ours, had total of two scholarship players when tang took over). are we allowed to use this thread for anything besides fellating terry, or can we pull our heads out of the sand now? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

these numbers are shocking:

901BD3A9-C9D2-4775-A8F8-AB945D3C7B8D.thumb.jpeg.379709c6d95f1729648beaea6e0133e4.jpeg

this should be a top 5 defense nationwide, if not potentially the no.1 defense in the country, in no small part due to our smothering the three point line. instead, we have the fifth best defense in the conference, and are somehow, almost impossibly dead last in defending the three point line. but please, let's continue to admonish anyone who is critical of RT The Martyr, and continue to insist that there's really no proof that this defense would be any better under THE preeminent defensive HC in the country. 🙄 

• Rage+1 2

no major injuries to the team and we're 10-7 in our last 17 games. can't wait for the usual suspects to come in here and explain how chris beard would have done just as poorly with the most complete roster in the league.

it's so fucking weird how rick barnes is seen as this garbage coach around here, and yet somehow one of his long time assistants with not even 1/100th of barnes's success as a head coach has had countless people here wanting him to be our next HC, and insisting that he's doing just as good of a job as chris beard (who we all agree is >>>>> rick barnes) would have done. the worst part is that several of you have been dicks about it. stupid.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d790oig0vvdcsjxclpnj

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

no major injuries to the team and we're 10-7 in our last 17 games. can't wait for the usual suspects to come in here and explain how chris beard would have done just as poorly with the most complete roster in the league.

it's so fucking weird how rick barnes is seen as this garbage coach around here, and yet somehow one of his long time assistants with not even 1/100th of barnes's success as a head coach has had countless people here wanting him to be our next HC, and insisting that he's doing just as good of a job as chris beard (who we all agree is >>>>> rick barnes) would have done. the worst part is that several of you have been dicks about it. stupid.

Team is regressing and no development in the freshmen players.  Terrible first halfs is on Terry for not having his team ready.  Just don't understand what's happened to Timmy and the Bigs...

SMDH

• Hook 'Em 1

The team is regressing because Beard's culture is slowly wearing off as time goes by. There is also mean reversion happening for Rodney Terry's coaching record as the sample size increases. This is what many of us predicted early on. I dread to imagine what Texas would look like next year if RT gets the job.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I caught the end of the last 'Rewind with Rodney Terry' hosted by Galindo.  Galindo was effusive with praise for Terry and told Terry he deserved to be the next head basketball coach at Texas and basically it would be a shame if it did not happen.

So, relax.  Terry won't be coming back.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Beard would have won this conference easily. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I caught the end of the last 'Rewind with Rodney Terry' hosted by Galindo.  Galindo was effusive with praise for Terry and told Terry he deserved to be the next head basketball coach at Texas and basically it would be a shame if it did not happen.

So, relax.  Terry won't be coming back.

We've got a classy image to uphold.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

KU loses two first round draft picks, plus remy martin, plus the best player from last year's final four (david mccormack), and BU has a downright laughable defense, and we have the deepest, most talented roster in the league, and we're going to finish third or fourth (11-7 or 10-8). i cannot begin to explain how huge of a kick in the dick this chris beard fiasco has become. this roster was primed to be a very good college basketball team, a true national title contender. i cannot believe that this is where we've ended up. this so worse then the collapse of 2010, and this is worse than mike wacker's injury derailed season. chris beard was set to become a legend at his alma mater, and instead he's responsible for the worst thing that's ever happened to the program. god damn it that is frustrating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Let’s just go ahead and lose out to be sure. I don’t want Rodney Terry anywhere near this program ever again.

CDC, time to earn your paycheck. Go get Tony Bennett.

Naw.

BTW, conference title is off the table which means a deep tourney run is the only way to keep him anyway.

i want to make something clear, in case it isn't already: my palpable frustration is not aimed at rodney terry. RT is doing the best that he can. it's not his fault that he was put in this position. i've got nothing but love for RT. my palpable frustration is with the cadre of people here who were such combative dicks towards those of us who fairly criticized him and said we didn't want him as our next HC. weeks of that smarmy shit, only to still end up here. i don't know if some of you are his friends, family, or neighbors (looking at you valmy), but all of the finger wagging and admonishing turned out to be for naught, as rodney terry shockingly didn't end up being as good of a coach as chris beard. i hope RT finds a nice landing spot, and i hope that the vociferously pro-RT crowd feels dumb right about now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

KU loses two first round draft picks, plus remy martin, plus the best player from last year's final four (david mccormack), and BU has a downright laughable defense, and we have the deepest, most talented roster in the league, and we're going to finish third or fourth (11-7 or 10-8). i cannot begin to explain how huge of a kick in the dick this chris beard fiasco has become. this roster was primed to be a very good college basketball team, a true national title contender. i cannot believe that this is where we've ended up. this so worse then the collapse of 2010, and this is worse than mike wacker's injury derailed season. chris beard was set to become a legend at his alma mater, and instead he's responsible for the worst thing that's ever happened to the program. god damn it that is frustrating.

"this so worse then". jesus derka, learn to write good. 🙄 

I've been pulling for Terry but if he's not smart enough to change the starting lineup he doesn't deserve to make $3-$5 million a year as our head coach.

Our starting lineup is ironically our worst lineup. I think if we threw the two white kids who shoot 3s at the end of blowouts out there with 3 other random players it'd be a better lineup than our starting lineup.

We go down early almost every game because our starting lineup fucking blows. Then he puts in the better, more efficient lineups and we come back. This has happened in about 20 games now. It's glaringly obvious.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

rodney terry is incapable of building a roster anywhere close to as good as this one,

To me that is kind of the thing.

Even if Terry had pulled it out and won a share of the Big 12 and had a great tournament run (which I guess he could still do...) he was still doing it with a team he didn't build. Being able to coach a team to a championship and being able to build a championship team are not the same skill set.

I would have accepted rolling the dice that Terry did have that skill set as a price to having a magical year this year. But that didn't happen...or I guess could still happen but only if things come together unexpectedly between here and the NCAA Tournament.

But we will see.

Edited by Valmy77

8 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Let’s just go ahead and lose out to be sure. I don’t want Rodney Terry anywhere near this program ever again.

CDC, time to earn your paycheck. Go get Tony Bennett.

Well let's not go nuts. He seemed like a pretty assistant head coach.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ok fine. You guys win. I will just have to put with hearing about the theoretical Beard Championship for the rest of the year. 

• Like 1