Rodney Terry

HookEm

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Well let's not go nuts. He seemed like a pretty assistant head coach.

Ok fine. You guys win. I will just have to put with hearing about the theoretical Beard Championship for the rest of the year. 

It's not that far fetched to argue Beard would have won at least a share of the conference. We just needed one more win with this veteran team. Think of all the games we could have won if we played slightly better defense. Our defense is nowhere close to the signature CB defense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

But the offense probably would have been worse.  The outcome is unknowable.  

You think our offense is better now? The only guy that's playing consistently is Rice. The offense is something that typically improves over time as the team plays longer together.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

But the offense probably would have been worse.  The outcome is unknowable.  

What I feel easier to predict would be the positive effect of allowing fewer second-chance points per game. Not sure where to find the stat on that, but my eyes tell me it's killing us in these tight battles. We're #189 in the land at giving up offensive boards, with 8.9/game. That's just too many.

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

What I feel easier to predict would be the positive effect of allowing fewer second-chance points per game. Not sure where to find the stat on that, but my eyes tell me it's killing us in these tight battles. We're #189 in the land at giving up offensive boards, with 8.9/game. That's just too many.

But remember Beard built this juggernaut that Terry ran into a ditch.

• Haha 1

countless people here wanting him to be our next HC, and insisting that he's doing just as good of a job as chris beard

Not sure who exactly you are referring to, but I can't recall anyone saying he is doing just as good as Beard.  Link or quote would be nice.

My point all along has been that I want the season to play out before I make a decision on whether I would support hiring Terry or not.  I have liked a lot of what he has done. And there are some areas where he is CLEARLY inferior to Beard.

I'm still not ready to say "Don't hire him", but I'm definitely trending in that direction.

Edited by HookEm

i'm not going to back and search through dozens of pages to find exact quotes from people, but i find it hard to believe that anyone who's been actively reading these boards could have somehow missed the scores of posts pumping up RT and diminishing beard, particularly during that extended period of winning which took place right after RT took over. countless posts about how beard hadn't done anything impressive this year before getting fired, how terry was doing just as good of a job as beard and that the only reason our numbers were getting worse was because the schedule got harder; i could keep going, but again, you've been here for all of these posts, and i can't believe that you've actually somehow missed them all, so i don't really see the point in that. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

i did however just go back and look at the scheudle, and terry went 8-1 in his first 9 games in charge, 10-2 in his first 12. if you feel like going and checking the various threads on this subject from that time i have no doubt that you'll find many posts diminishing beard's coaching job this year, pumping up RT's coaching job this season, and yes, people flat out saying that Terry was doing just as good of a job as beard would have done, and that the team was just as good as it was before beard got canned.

edited to add: beyond all of that, and even dumber than all of that, was all of the insistence that nothing had changed about our three point defense after we lost beard. that was particularly ridiculous.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 1

Well, those people would be idiots then.  Again, only a complete moron would think that Terry will be as good as Beard, who is probably one of the top 3-5 coaches in all of college basketball.

It is possible for all these things to be true at the same time:

• Our defense actually got worse
  • Our competition got better, so our numbers made our defensive slip look even worse than it was
  • Rodney Terry has done an amazing job to right the ship
  • Rodney Terry will never be as good as Chris Beard especially defensively
  • Rodney Terry might do better at Texas (even adjusted for the talent level here) than he did at Fresno or UTEP because his intangibles translate better here
  • Or he might regress to his career mean

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:32 PM, SL Xpress said:

My mind was made up about Terry 15 years ago, and nothing that I've seen since then has changed it. He's just not that great of a head coach. Quality assistant, though. 

I'm aligned with you on Rodney Terry as a head coach, but he hadn't held that role in college until 12 years ago.  What made you think he didn't have it when he was just an assistant at Texas?

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm aligned with you on Rodney Terry as a head coach, but he hadn't held that role in college until 12 years ago.  What made you think he didn't have it when he was just an assistant at Texas?

Talking to him. Talking to other people who worked with him. 

I was always a bigger fan of Frank Haith and Rob Lanier. And Russell Springmann for that matter. As future head coaches. Just felt they provided a better presence as bench coaches. I thought Beard’s initial staff was a terrible bench coaching staff, for example. I was very pleased when Donewald was promoted for that reason. The position titles do make a difference. 

Anyway, neither Haith nor Lanier have gone on to be superstars or anything, but they’ve had successes. Terry has always been pretty much what I thought he’d be, including this year. He’s not precise enough. He’s not detailed oriented. He doesn’t understand how to be truly compelling. Nice guy. I’ve always been glad whenever we’ve had him on staff. Just not a great head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Talking to him. Talking to other people who worked with him. 

I was always a bigger fan of Frank Haith and Rob Lanier. And Russell Springmann for that matter.

my feelings exactly, right there. RT had a role to play, and he played it very well. but as far as guys who i thought would become future HC's and possibly have success, he was always behind these guys. 

8 hours ago, HookEm said:

Well, those people would be idiots then.  Again, only a complete moron would think that Terry will be as good as Beard, who is probably one of the top 3-5 coaches in all of college basketball.

It is possible for all these things to be true at the same time:

• Our defense actually got worse
  • Our competition got better, so our numbers made our defensive slip look even worse than it was
  • Rodney Terry has done an amazing job to right the ship
  • Rodney Terry will never be as good as Chris Beard especially defensively
  • Rodney Terry might do better at Texas (even adjusted for the talent level here) than he did at Fresno or UTEP because his intangibles translate better here
  • Or he might regress to his career mean

The fact that you still think RT deserves consideration depending on how the rest of the season plays out is baffling. If he does do well in the tournament, it will be a fluke or because our veterans finally realize this is their last dance so they might as well leave everything on the floor. In no way shape or form, that would validate RT as a great HC.

I don't understand why people continue to argue if our defense indeed got worse as if you don't see the difference in effort levels pre- and post Beard and as if you don't know what made Beard the coach he was. This is not a matter of opinion. This is as factual as it gets!

22 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Dude you’re obsessed. Find a new hobby besides following me around like a lost little puppy. 

Maybe you should find a new hobby instead of vomiting your stupidity all over the board.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Terry and this staff are going to get a three year deal before the NCAA tournament and all of you pussies will be crying like the little bitches you are.

It will be well deserved in my opinion.

Hiring some coach with a “name” is absurd.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  In my opinion, you need to get a clue.  JMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How do coaches typically get a “name”?

How?

They usually bounce around and the. Go to Marquette and crush it in their second year. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Terry and this staff are going to get a three year deal before the NCAA tournament and all of you pussies will be crying like the little bitches you are.

Obviously. Rejecting candidates who have built a name for themselves due to their success in favor of a guy with a decade-long track record of mediocrity is a surefire winning strategy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Obviously. Rejecting candidates who have built a name for themselves due to their success in favor of a guy with a decade-long track record of mediocrity is a surefire winning strategy.

Because the last time we hired a name candidate it went great.

• Fuck You 1

So your taste is blues music and college coaches are the same..shitty.

13 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Ok, Boomer.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I just don't see how you can look at our record this year, see the environment at the game yesterday, and think "you know what this program needs is a total shakeup right now"

Just my take. We have shit rolling. When you have shit rolling, you keep it rolling. You don't make a major change.

13 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Because name candidates often get arrested for felonies. Happens all the time. It’s why you should avoid them at all costs.

I mean one of our top backup candidates is aiding and abetting the murder of a 23 year old woman who left a young child behind.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, UTEE97 said:

It's not that far fetched to argue Beard would have won at least a share of the conference. We just needed one more win with this veteran team. Think of all the games we could have won if we played slightly better defense. Our defense is nowhere close to the signature CB defense. 

It’s also not far fetched to say Beard would have fared worse than 12-6 this year 

He’s known for tournament success, not great regular season records 

• Hook 'Em 1