Rodney Terry

HookEm

Just now, MotownHorn said:

It’s also not far fetched to say Beard would have fared worse than 12-6 this year 

He’s known for tournament success, not great regular season records 

I’m also not on the train that believes Beard would have 100% gone 12-6 or better as well.  We will never know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep. It’s a lot of ifs, ands, buts, and “what ifs”

No one knows. What’s clear is that Terry did a great job leading these young men and salvaging the season 

I get the arguments for someone else, but I’m gonna pull for a deep tournament run and be happy if that happens and RT stays 

11 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

It’s also not far fetched to say Beard would have fared worse than 12-6 this year 

yeah but this is the best all around rosyer he's ever had, particularly when it comes to having veteran players in a year when KU and BU don't have experienced teams. the league was ripe for the picking this year, and beard blew it. we had the worst 3P defense in the league under terry and still came up just one game short. i have to believe we fare better with beard in charge. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Yep. It’s a lot of ifs, ands, buts, and “what ifs”

No one knows. What’s clear is that Terry did a great job leading these young men and salvaging the season 

I get the arguments for someone else, but I’m gonna pull for a deep tournament run and be happy if that happens and RT stays 

That seems like the healthiest approach.

I'll continue to have mixed feelings about the whole thing, but since it doesn't matter what I think, we'll both just see how it all works out. A really deep run would be a lot of fun regardless. 

Watching Penders' teams felt like the equivalent of eating cotton candy for me, but regardless of my thoughts of him as a head coach, the BMW run in his first two years with the Elite Eight in his second season is definitely one of the most special memories for me as a Texas basketball fan, and I know I'm not alone. I'd love to see something similar this season.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Of course he would. Real development for Mitchell and Morris would have cost a win or two with the hopes they improve enough to be real contributors in march. 

Tinkering with the starting line-up and rotation experimentation could cost you a win etc. 

Prep for March, get better, the regular season is not the end game. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:31 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Of course he would. Real development for Mitchell and Morris would have cost a win or two with the hopes they improve enough to be real contributors in march. 

Tinkering with the starting line-up and rotation experimentation could cost you a win etc. 

Prep for March, get better, the regular season is not the end game. 

You think Beard would have developed those 2 guys? Beard was well known for his patience in playing young guys, so much that he always had a veteran team at every stop on his coaching career.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:20 PM, formermav43 said:

Because name candidates often get arrested for felonies. Happens all the time. It’s why you should avoid them at all costs.

Wasn't even talking about Beard.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You think Beard would have developed those 2 guys? Beard was well known for his patience in playing young guys, so much that he always had a veteran team at every stop on his coaching career.

Quite fair. Tyson did transfer out bc of lack of playing time and development

8 games and no starts at Texas under Beard -> 30 games and 30 starts at Tech

Rodney Terry winning Coach of the Year has taken a terrible, embarrassing situation for the University and turned it into a feel-good story. It is remarkable. 

If he takes this team all the way to the Final Four or beyond, this would be the type of thing they make movies about.

If we have a Final Four run and end up hiring him, there will be a huge amount of positive buzz on the program.  And the players all seem to genuinely like playing for him.  I think it could be leveraged well on the recruiting trail.

The key is that we have to win BIG over the next month. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Rodney Terry winning Coach of the Year has taken a terrible, embarrassing situation for the University and turned it into a feel-good story. It is remarkable. 

If he takes this team all the way to the Final Four or beyond, this would be the type of thing they make movies about.

Maybe not a movie, but it should get it's own LHN 30 Min Special in the network's last year of existence (2023-24). 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Regardless of what happens from here on out, I am deeply appreciative of Coach Terry's efforts to help hold the line and put together a really fun and successful season in the face of a really fucked up situation.  Obviously I want some skins on the wall too (B12 tourney title, deep run at the NCAA tourney), but RT has done a tremendous job.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

If only TJ had as much knowledge as some posters. he wouldn't have made such a stupid comment.

Gerry mentioned that TJ would have some interest in coming to Texas in a coaching capacity, but may not have the time due to his kids. But yes, multiple 5-stars + TJ Ford <<< Surly internet geniuses. 

5 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

RT is Sporting News’ college basketball coach of the year, beating out Shaka. 

Sporting News

I absolutely LOVE these two quotes...

1) “But RT, I’ll say he’s a big energy guy. He comes in every single morning before practice, and every morning is a good morning. It’s a great day to be here, a great day to be alive. I think it’s all about approach, and the way he instills that in us makes sure that every day you’re waking up with a good attitude before anything else.

2) “I continued to stay me,” Terry told TSN. “I wasn’t going to be something that I wasn’t. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

I absolutely LOVE these two quotes...

1) “But RT, I’ll say he’s a big energy guy. He comes in every single morning before practice, and every morning is a good morning. It’s a great day to be here, a great day to be alive. I think it’s all about approach, and the way he instills that in us makes sure that every day you’re waking up with a good attitude before anything else.

2) “I continued to stay me,” Terry told TSN. “I wasn’t going to be something that I wasn’t. 

I don’t think we can know if the results would be the same had Chris Ogden or TJ Ford taken over for Beard instead of RT. The roster deserves most of the credit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, realgreggym said:

If only TJ had as much knowledge as some posters. he wouldn't have made such a stupid comment.

By this logic, all former players should be very good coaches since they know so much about the game. Why have CDC, who never played the games, make hiring decisions when we can just ask the former players who we should hire?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I don’t think we can know if the results would be the same had Chris Ogden or TJ Ford taken over for Beard instead of RT. The roster deserves most of the credit. 

The young men involved deserve a ton of credit for sure.

You can "if, and, or but" it however you want but I think it's inarguable that we couldn't fathom a much better season under Ogden, Ford, or Chris Beard himself. Maybe like 2 more wins or something in the best of circumstances would be the ceiling.

I "don't if, and, or but." I look at what's happening before my eyes. Rodney Terry has done a hell of a job coaching this team this season. Regardless of the circumstances. But fucking ESPECIALLY because of the circumstances.

I love those quotes because they show he's a positive, hardworking guy who shows up every day comfortable in his own skin trying to make everyone around him better. Those are rare qualities IMO. And they are qualities that I personally value quite highly and love to see succeed.

• Haha 1

If there's any "if, and, or but" argument to be made about this season thus far it's that the team may have done much worse with Ogden, Ford, Beard, a leprechaun, or the Easter Bunny as the head coach 

Most likely they would have performed about the same

They almost certainly would not have performed much better imo

• Haha 1

Why have CDC, who never played the games, make hiring decisions when we can just ask the former players who we should hire?

CDC actually did play the games.

He was a scholarship athlete in track and field at Oregon State and UC Santa Barbara. He also played varsity basketball and football in high school.

I'm sure he leans on this experience quite a bit. I'm also sure he values the input of our former players and will want to keep them close to the program.  Alumni like TJ Ford may not BE coaches, (well, actually TJ Ford is a coach) but I have no doubt that they can give good feedback based on their experience. 

The decision is still CDCs.

3 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

By this logic, all former players should be very good coaches since they know so much about the game. Why have CDC, who never played the games, make hiring decisions when we can just ask the former players who we should hire?

It wasn't logic. It was a shot at all the surly basketball experts.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

He was a scholarship athlete in track and field at Oregon State and UC Santa Barbara. He also played varsity basketball and football in high school.

I'm sure he leans on this experience quite a bit. I'm also sure he values the input of our former players and will want to keep them close to the program.  Alumni like TJ Ford may not BE coaches, (well, actually TJ Ford is a coach) but I have no doubt that they can give good feedback based on their experience. 

100% correct. Great post. CDC is also probably talking with current players and getting input from other coaches as well.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'll also say that last time, the former players were really pushing for Ivey. And CDC still went big game hunting and got Beard.  So obviously CDC is capable of making up his own mind.

At the end of the day, it’s CDC’s job and ass on the line. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'll also say that last time, the former players were really pushing for Ivey. And CDC still went big game hunting and got Beard.  So obviously CDC is capable of making up his own mind.

He's also been criticized for not hiring any female coaches in the women's sports. 

I don't think CDC is persuaded by anything he hears or reads from the public. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

but you played and you know more than everyone else here, which makes you the biggest surly basketball expert. why would you take shots at yourself like that greggym? 

I do know more than most due to my experiences.  The difference is that I am not a surly expert like you, so I wasn't taking a shot at myself but good effort.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

At the end of the day, it’s CDC’s job and ass on the line. 

When you say his job and ass are on the line, what does that mean? 

I feel quite comfortable in saying CDC will never have his job security threatened by who his next hire is as the men's basketball coach. He'll undoubtedly have more upside if he gets it right, so I'm not trying to say there's nothing at stake. But his job isn't one of them. 

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

You missed the point. CDC didn't play the sports in which he is making hiring decisions for. If you're a great leader, you know which traits make someone a great leader too. You don't have to have actual working or playing experience in that field to be able to make this decision very effectively. You look for personality traits that others might not think of, even if they are very close to that person or the game. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't great players for a reason.

Edited by UTEE97

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You missed the point. CDC didn't play the games in which he is making hiring decisions for. If you're a great leader, you know which traits make someone a great leader too. You don't have to have actual working or playing experience in that field to be able to make this decision very effectively. You look for personality traits that others might not think of, even if they are very close to that person or the game. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't great players for a reason.

Exactly. Elgin Baylor and Isiah Taylor were the worst NBA executives ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

When you say his job and ass are on the line, what does that mean? 

I feel quite comfortable in saying CDC will never have his job security threatened by who his next hire is as the men's basketball coach. He'll undoubtedly have more upside if he gets it right, so I'm not trying to say there's nothing at stake. But his job isn't one of them. 

His hire, his responsibility. If he hires Rodney and he reverts to his career barely-.500 record, that’s not a good look for CDC. He doesn’t get to hire for football, so basketball is his big one. If it’s 2026 and we are having 60% capacity at Moody bc Rodney keeps going 18-12 at Texas with no postseason appearances, ultimately that falls on CDC to explain why he hired Rodney, when Texas had all the basketball momentum in the world, and could have hired someone with a better resume worthy of the job.  

The media and alums clamoring for Rodney have no real skin in the game. They want their buddy and former coach to get the job. It’s just more access for them. 

CDC has to get HIS guy, not anyone else’s. And I trust him too, because he did the exact same thing last time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If CDC did want to give Terry a shot, the only viable scenario I can fathom is confirming that Texas holds onto the two recruits if he stays, and give him a two year contract for $3M per year. I know many will say that won’t work, but I think it will. 

Two years should cement the current commits, and half way thru next season if things look good they can extend him a year or two. 

I’m not advocating this. I don’t think he’s done that good a job with this team. I prefer someone else. But if they feel they need to give him a shot…

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

His hire, his responsibility. If he hires Rodney and he reverts to his career barely-.500 record, that’s not a good look for CDC. He doesn’t get to hire for football, so basketball is his big one. If it’s 2026 and we are having 60% capacity at Moody bc Rodney keeps going 18-12 at Texas with no postseason appearances, ultimately that falls on CDC to explain why he hired Rodney, when Texas had all the basketball momentum in the world, and could have hired someone with a better resume worthy of the job.  

The media and alums clamoring for Rodney have no real skin in the game. They want their buddy and former coach to get the job. It’s just more access for them. 

CDC has to get HIS guy, not anyone else’s. And I trust him too, because he did the exact same thing last time. 

This is the world according to Js1, though. Not the world according to UT athletics. There is no one with the clout to get CDC fired to bring in a new athletic director, or to be a strong advocate for doing so amid the consortium of people with that kind of clout, for hiring the wrong men's basketball coach.

Now, if he somehow fucks up and revenue dries up, sure. And that's certainly related to the coach of the men's basketball team. But not really. Keep selling suites to the football stadium, raising donations, bring in lots of new money with Moody, rake in more money with the SEC deal, successfully navigate NIL to give coaches the tools they need to win without getting the university in hot water. 

At the same time, if he gets the hire right, he's elevated his profile among all those same people, too. But this isn't even close to do or die time. You pretending it is doesn't make it so. 

I trust CDC as well, but hiring is a dice roll. I just want him to go out and get the best candidate possible, and we'll see how it works out. Terry isn't it, but I feel like if Terry makes it to the Elite Eight - possibly the Sweet Sixteen - he'll basically have to hire Terry. The optics would be miserable otherwise. Especially if he hires a white coach, which is all but guaranteed. But a first or second round faceplant and all bets are off. Which is not a reason to root for that result, but it could be a silver lining if it happens. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If CDC did want to give Terry a shot, the only viable scenario I can fathom is confirming that Texas holds onto the two recruits if he stays, and give him a two year contract for $3M per year. I know many will say that won’t work, but I think it will. 

Two years should cement the current commits, and half way thru next season if things look good they can extend him a year or two. 

I’m not advocating this. I don’t think he’s done that good a job with this team. I prefer someone else. But if they feel they need to give him a shot…

Giving a new coach a 2 year contract is basically knee capping him. It's not going to happen. He'll get 4 to 5 years to do his thing, unless the results are thoroughly mediocre. Even then he'll get 3 years. 

It's not that Texas doesn't do short term deals like that. I mean they don't, but it's more like NO ONE does 2 year deals in college sports. It would be a horrible signal and Texas would get raked over the coals for it. 

I am with you that I would prefer someone else, though. Won't be long now. I'm sure a final decision will be made pretty quickly after the tournament results are in. 

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

This is the world according to Js1, though. Not the world according to UT athletics.

Jesus Christ. Wtf is always your problem? 

I remember now why I had you on ignore. You write novels like you’re the god damn authority on the world 

CDC is ultimately the person who takes the heat if the product is bad bc the coach is bad because he hires the coach. He’s insulated in football since we know about 10 other people make the decision before the Texas AD. This is his hire. Buck stops with him if it’s RT and he fails 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jesus Christ. Wtf is always your problem? 

I remember now why I had you on ignore. You write novels like you’re the god damn authority on the world 

CDC is ultimately the person who takes the heat if the product is bad bc the coach is bad because he hires the coach. He’s insulated in football since we know about 10 other people make the decision before the Texas AD. This is his hire. Buck stops with him if it’s RT and he fails 

So he takes heat? It won't be a firing offense. The buck stops with him if donations start drying up and the president's phone/email box is blowing up from pissed off donors, a la Steve Patterson. Deloss Dodds didn't even break a sweat over the disaster that was Bob Wetlich. You exaggerate the importance that winning in men's basketball holds for the university as an institution. I'm not saying it's unimportant, but it won't cost CDC his job. The spigot runs dry - or it's perceived as being endangered - then he'll have a serious problem. 

You post responses to me as if I care. Put me on ignore. I like you, but my life won't be altered if you don't read what I write any more. 

And yep, I write longer posts. I also enjoy reading other people's longer posts. This isn't revelatory. I didn't even think the above response was all that long. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The guy should fire his agent immediately if he brings him a 2 year contract worth $6 million to sign.

If Texas even thinks of the option that includes hamstringing their coach, recruiting and the ability to build out a good staff, then that should make the answer clear as day about what direction they need to go.