Auto insect/bug killing lasers? Yes please!

crash_davis

I'll drink a beer or two to Japan when it ceases to exist because their young women and men don't know how to date and have sex. But before they perish, I ask that they mass produce these things where I can buy at Costco for $150.

https://japantoday.com/category/tech/anti-insect-laser-gun-turrets-designed-by-osaka-university-expected-to-work-on-roaches-too

The group, led by Professors Hiroshi Fuji and Kazuhisa Yamamoto, have found possibly the most efficient laser pest control system to date which may one day render conventional pesticides obsolete.

Anti-insect lasers have been in development for over a decade now, mainly with the aim of eliminating mosquitoes and the diseases they carry. However, their bodies are much smaller than most insects and even though they can be completely irradiated by a laser aimed in their general direction, energy consumption for long-range shooting and cost-effectiveness remain an issue.

Not only that, but in the case of insects that damage crops, their bodies tend to be much larger than a mosquito’s and thus would require a laser of proportionally larger size and intensity, making it that much more difficult to implement. Take the tobacco cutworm moth for example; this girthy two-by-three centimeter pest and the voracious appetite of its larvae can devastate entire crops.

So, what the team did was find the weak spots where the moth is most vulnerable to a laser blast. Perhaps unsurprisingly these locations turned out to be the face and chest, or “thorax” to use the more common insect term. The next step was to create a blue laser diode gun that could target and lock on to these weak spots before firing a precision beam and terminating the insect in one headshot like a little laser-toting John Wick.

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I've been waiting impatiently for robots to eradicate the base level of the food chain - it's about time! 

Fair point, but hopefully this is just the first step.  And they can fine-tune it to only attract mosquitoes with minimally peripheral casualties.  

Malaria, after all these years of advancement, still kills 1 million people per year...most of them children.  If we gotta fuck up the foodchain for a few years to get that under wraps...I'm all for it.  What if we could invent robots who instead of relying on old people's medicine for fuel, would eat attract and eat mosquitoes for biofuel instead?  Plus, think of what we'd save on not having to pay Old Glory Insurance premiums.  

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'd have no problems if we were to rid the world of mosquitoes, fire ants, roaches, and redneck aggy.

Well, here Aggie chimes in on why fire ants are important for growers in Texas:

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-56(partial)_red_imported_fire_ant.htm

But I thought that fire ants were wrongly introduced here from South America centuries ago and weren't really part of our very recent ecosystem.  

Anyway, I'm sure some dumbass Aggie will point his new insect laser at a fire-ant hill starting a huge grassfire that engulfs millions of acres.  And then later plays it off as a gender reveal party for his Ovine, I mean Divine offspring. 

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'll drink a beer or two to Japan when it ceases to exist because their young women and men don't know how to date and have sex. But before they perish, I ask that they mass produce these things where I can buy at Costco for $150.

https://japantoday.com/category/tech/anti-insect-laser-gun-turrets-designed-by-osaka-university-expected-to-work-on-roaches-too

The group, led by Professors Hiroshi Fuji and Kazuhisa Yamamoto, have found possibly the most efficient laser pest control system to date which may one day render conventional pesticides obsolete.

Anti-insect lasers have been in development for over a decade now, mainly with the aim of eliminating mosquitoes and the diseases they carry. However, their bodies are much smaller than most insects and even though they can be completely irradiated by a laser aimed in their general direction, energy consumption for long-range shooting and cost-effectiveness remain an issue.

Not only that, but in the case of insects that damage crops, their bodies tend to be much larger than a mosquito’s and thus would require a laser of proportionally larger size and intensity, making it that much more difficult to implement. Take the tobacco cutworm moth for example; this girthy two-by-three centimeter pest and the voracious appetite of its larvae can devastate entire crops.

So, what the team did was find the weak spots where the moth is most vulnerable to a laser blast. Perhaps unsurprisingly these locations turned out to be the face and chest, or “thorax” to use the more common insect term. The next step was to create a blue laser diode gun that could target and lock on to these weak spots before firing a precision beam and terminating the insect in one headshot like a little laser-toting John Wick.

you've dated and had sex with young japanese men?