James Gunn's DC Universe

mdmost

He revealed his upcoming projects. It will be a mix of live action-TV shows, animated series, and films. They will be in a connected universe. Things like the Joker and existing movies are Elseworlds. Some of these could be great like The Authority, The Brave and the Bold (Batman reboot), and Booster Gold. The Authority could be really good but it might feel a bit like The Boys in its brutality. Waller should be good as it carries on with familiar ground for him and Viola Davis is a badass. Others I'm not too sold on like Paradise Lost and Swamp Thing. And are we sure it's a good idea to anything related to Supergirl and Green Lantern after the previous efforts were so bad? I'm sure he can improve upon them. GL at least seems like it will be a more serious take on the character as it's described as True Detective like. His track record is pretty good so I'll tune in. His Superman film will be the real tell because that's not really a character I see his style merging well with. 

Pretty good breakdown here:

https://gizmodo.com/james-gunn-dc-slate-revealed-batman-superman-green-lant-1850050974

Edited by mdmost

23 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

In for the animated stuff. Recently watched Battle of the Supersons. Will probably be the best DC movie of the year.

oh man for the last literally 30 years (DC Animated Universe/Timmverse + DC Universe Animated Original Movies) has been the best DC stuff released there is a ton of great movies to watch out of that universe.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 is truly fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, MoJames said:

It was fun watching him try to link upcoming projects to previously successful HBO shows

Like GOT but with wonder woman

Like True Detective but with green lantern

I hope it's entertaining, but only time will tell.

Like blue balls in your heart but with Superman. 

4 hours ago, NoName said:

oh man for the last literally 30 years (DC Animated Universe/Timmverse + DC Universe Animated Original Movies) has been the best DC stuff released there is a ton of great movies to watch out of that universe.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 is truly fantastic.

Batman Year One is my favorite.

Son of Batman is also good. Damian is an asshole.

Also wish they would do a full length Jonah Hex animated film.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I like Gunn and I am hoping for the best as a comic nerd, but I was pretty underwhelmed with these announcements. And only half rebooting the original failed DCU while also setting up a scenario where you have two different versions of Batman and potentially three different versions of the Joker appearing in concurrent film series seems like a really bad way to restart your cinematic movie universe. His vision for video games doesn't really sound feasible to me either. That said, I'm looking forward to his take on Superman.

Edited by ultimaton

• 4 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 6:19 PM, Brothahorn said:

Batman Year One is my favorite.

Son of Batman is also good. Damian is an asshole.

Also wish they would do a full length Jonah Hex animated film.

Part of the reason I have Max is so I have access to the full WB animated back catalogue 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, Sandman said:

Well, she's at least as ugly as Margot Kidder IMO, so maybe it'll work.

Well there were guys who dug Margot Kidder and those who didn't. Those that fall in the second category are referred to as gay in modern times. NTTAWWT

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I was a Marvel fanboy growing up. Got a king sized issue of X Men when they decided to kill them all off an replace them with new mutants. It's dog eared and has my name stamped in it so my comic book trading friends wouldn't rip me off. According to the interwebs if I wasn't 6 years old at the time but instead being in my 30s and living in my grandma's basement and shrink wrapping shit it would be worth $2,000 which I could definitely use but naw.

That being said Marvel movies these days are teh suck. The Flash was good even though it starred a cult leader/child molester. Watching the new Aquaman movie and it isn't too terrible either

Their personal dynamic, which originally took a leap forward around 2016 in comic book canon, has been at the forefront of the R-rated animated series Harley Quinn, in which Ivy played a prominent role in Harley’s journey of self-discovery. Their romantic relationship is just one part of the complex union between them, and that is something that has never previously been explored in a live-action project.

Make it NC-17 and print money.

• Drool 1