World music

MaybeACoordinator

Via my online Hawaiian / Portuguese cowgirl poet girlfriend, I've been exposed to fado, sort of akin to the blues of Portugal. Most of the songs are about mourning and the sea, and often mourning caused by the sea, and lost love and such, but I'm gonna share this rare upbeat fado by the incredible Gisela, a superstar of the genre. I just can't stop watching this.

Portuguese music tends to not be popular among world music obsessives, or fans of foreign language music. The best and most clear explanation for this is the lack of rhythm and african influence that has made Brazilian or Cape Verdean music successful in the various ways "world music" has been used as a category form music in the past several decades. In Portugal today, Fado is known as music for tourists in seafood restaurants.

6 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

Portuguese music tends to not be popular among world music obsessives, or fans of foreign language music. The best and most clear explanation for this is the lack of rhythm and african influence that has made Brazilian or Cape Verdean music successful in the various ways "world music" has been used as a category form music in the past several decades. In Portugal today, Fado is known as music for tourists in seafood restaurants.

Bad fado, I am sure, but Gisela is a superstar in any genre.

Which in turn reminds me of son jarocho, from Veracruz, where the Mexican slaves came in. A sub-professor of music at Vanderbilt once told me African kora/harp traveled from Africa to some royal duchy in what's now Germany in time for Bach to catch a show, and it altered his perspective on musical counterpoint. And from Bach on down, the entire western world. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Drool 1

Old Mexican movies are great for picking up on regional flavor in accents and music. I think most of them were government subsidized, with an educational and nation-building bent, even in the comedies.

Pedro Infante playing 3 parts in this one, village hootenanny in Los Tres Huastecos. Wait for the La Bamba-esque hoedown:

Then you've got Tin Tan (German Valdes) whose father was a customs agent, his son picked up accents from all over. In this movie he courts women from all over Mexico as well as fakes a Cuban accent at one point.

• immamac changed the title to World music