Are games rigged?

Richard Kimball

8 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Tuck rule explanation was pure cover that ass bullshit.  Mike Pereira and the assclown retired refs in the booth cover for the ones on the field every week.  

I will say Mike Pereira is a little more critical with the college games than NFL.    He called out the ass clown Rig 12 Refs who made that BS call against Bama that cost us a Safety and probably the upset win.  But yea,  none of these retired Refs call out their own in the NFL games.    

10 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Tuck rule explanation was pure cover that ass bullshit.  Mike Pereira and the assclown retired refs in the booth cover for the ones on the field every week.  

Sure they fucked up but it makes zero sense to rig a game in favor of the Patriots over the much more popular Oakland Raiders in 2002. Even the whole Al Davis vs the NFL stuff was ancient history by then.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think individual refs have gone rogue and have used their power to change the outcome of a game to satisfy their bias, and obviously there was the NBA ref who was busted for fixing games.  I have no doubt that individuals have flexed their power to get specific outcomes.  You guys talk about Grant Teaff's last game a lot, and I was too young to care when that happened, but we got that treatment in 2017 against Kansas State in what many were speculating was Bill Snyder's last game.  There were 3 clear pass interference calls in the second half, including one that would have given ISU a first down and ended the game, where one ref called the penalty and threw the flag, but then the head official convened the group and picked the flag up.  I think that official wanted Snyder's last game in Manhattan to be a win.  Send a legend out in style (Teaff game redux).  I don't think the Big 12 instructed him to do it.

I don't believe that there's a top down conspiracy among leagues - be they pro or collegiate conferences - to render a specific outcome in the way that pro wrestling is essentially live theatre.

Sports are so fucking popular because they're the one thing in our entertainment world that isn't scripted.  If it came out that they were, they would be far less interesting and therefore less profitable.

We have more recent example.... Okie State 2022 and 2015

We can argue all day the fact Okie State got zero penalties against us  in 2022 was a coincidence.    But 2015 there was plenty of evidence something shady was going on.    Even when you had Ou Sux and aggy media types and fans in the different forums at the time saying we got screwed with some funny chit,   that should be enough proof we are were not seeing black helicopters and had the tin foil hats on.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 3

Yep.

Not as bad as the NBA though.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nba/2019/02/ex-nba-official-tim-donaghy-breaks-silence-strikes-back-at-fixing-allegation.html

Donaghy bet games based on officials - who still work for the NBA - "emphasis" on certain things. 

Physical team coming into town, is the "emphasis" to let em play or to clean it up? He made a lot of money just knowing how the refs would influence the games, not really rig them.

Somehow the NFL is somewhat easier to call because most players are more focused on the game then embellishment and working the refs. 

What should be changed is how much certain QBs are protected while others are fair game. They should get rid of sliding all together I think because the guys who slide late give the defender no change and put their head in danger. Sliding in football is dump, just go down early if you don't want to get hit, none of this last second put your head where your hips were and expect to be protected shit.

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've seen the Teaff game referenced many times on here and other sites.  I wish there was video of the game as it was before my time.

Visualize a receiver making a catch and getting popped immediately by the defender and the ball comes loose, recovered by the defense. Maybe it’s a catch and fumble, right? Maybe it’s just an incompletion, right? No. It’s a catch and the play is dead because the forward progress was stopped. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've seen the Teaff game referenced many times on here and other sites.  I wish there was video of the game as it was before my time.

It is 1992 Texas @ Baylor. You would think it being Grant Teaff's last game there would be video of it, but nope. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Wasn't that the same game where the ref initiated contact with Charlie, then threw an unsportsmanlike conduct flag on him ?

Yeah. That was about as bad as I have ever seen. Too bad Texas was so shitty that year we weren't even relevant enough for it to be a national story.

And remember this was the game after we had that big comeback against Cal where we lost because our kicker missed the game tying extra point. Charlie Strong's teams always found amazing ways to lose.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I really can't believe that people are using Sunday's game to drive this conversation.  When you lay an OB hit on one of the most popular players in the league, you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah it's the shit surrounding that play that was bogus dude. The whole game Cinci was getting fucked on total bullshit insane calls.

Just the last 3 mins -

Missed late hit

Missed block in the back on the big punt return

Missed intentional grounding (exactly the same play they called it on Cinci the previous drive)

Missed obvious hold on the scramble

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRstMpBe/

Nobody is saying the late hit was the part that was rigged. That was also close and probably only called because Mahomes flopped.

1675052796988710-sp.jpg

15 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I really can't believe that people are using Sunday's game to drive this conversation.  When you lay an OB hit on one of the most popular players in the league, you're gonna have a bad time.

That call does not belong in the collection of questionable calls that went against Cincy.

23 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I think Chiefs just got the home team benefit of the calls.  Don't get me wrong, if I were a Cincy fan I would be livid at the way the 4th quarter was officiated but I don't think "rigged".  Kings/Lakers and Mavs/Heat are the clear and obvious examples.  I really have zero doubt on those.   As posted above, the NBA (both officials and Stern) absolutely despised Cuban back then.  There was simply no way they wanted to hand him a trophy.   2015 OSU is the clear Texas example (I don't recall specifics of the Teaff game) but I doubt that was league driven.  It was definitely personal between the refs and Strong and/or someone on that staff though.  It was insane.   

Obviously I think Texas and OU have (and will continue) to get the short end of the stick on calls.  These are Big 12 refs and I'm sure they feel the same about Texas and OU as everyone else associated with the league.  It is what it is.  Of course, then we'll see Bama/UGA get "star" treatment when we get to the SEC (much like Texas did in Mack's primea and OU did more recently pre SEC announcement) unless/until we can ever displace them.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it's the shit surrounding that play that was bogus dude. The whole game Cinci was getting fucked on total bullshit insane calls.
Just the last 3 mins -
Missed late hit
Missed block in the back on the big punt return
Missed intentional grounding (exactly the same play they called it on Cinci the previous drive)
Missed obvious hold on the scramble
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRstMpBe/
Nobody is saying the late hit was the part that was rigged. That was also close and probably only called because Mahomes flopped.
1675052796988710-sp.jpg.c81d2f87d5c628dd261e2006f8f97643.jpg

Not a late hit on Burrow. There’s not a soul living that would accept that as legit penalty if it went against your team. Burrow flopped.

That hold happens all the time.

Screen shotting Ossais push is misleading. It was the shove a step or two later that got the penalty. Ossai himself ending up 7-8 yards deep into the sideline.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Obviously I think Texas and OU have (and will continue) to get the short end of the stick on calls.  These are Big 12 refs and I'm sure they feel the same about Texas and OU as everyone else associated with the league.  It is what it is. 

Things aren’t really different from last year as compared to years prior except that maybe OU didn’t get preferential treatment.

OU has always had their ass kissed. Even last year, one of the crappiest calls of the season was a TCU fair catch that benefitted OU. Year before this past season against us they received their typical preferential treatment.

There’s no damn way any Horn should feel sorry for OU for the shit they’ve away with over the years.
  • Hook 'Em 2

OL holding is the low hanging fruit of the “rigged” penalty if such things exist. You can kill a drive anytime you want or extend a dying drive anytime you want.  Not saying I believe games are rigged but holding calls are missed frequently enough or called seemingly unequally that it at least makes you wonder.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck no games aren't rigged.

Refs are human and make mistakes, just like players make mistakes on just about every play in every game.

But when refs make mistakes, losers whine about games being "rigged."

No man, you just got the shit luck end of human error.

College and professional football is covered by local, regional and national media more thoroughly and with more rigor than anything in this country, including politics. If games were being rigged, it would have been found out because the vast majority of people are morons and nobody can keep a secret, especially a massive one like rigging games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Visualize a receiver making a catch and getting popped immediately by the defender and the ball comes loose, recovered by the defense. Maybe it’s a catch and fumble, right? Maybe it’s just an incompletion, right? No. It’s a catch and the play is dead because the forward progress was stopped. 

And that ruling was only made after what was at least a 90-second huddle by the officiating crew; it took them that long to come up with that shit. That was the most blatant example in a game full of them. I’m serious when I say that neither of the Okie State games was even close to that Grant Teaff bullshit….

Do I Think certain NFL teams get a sorta standard raw deal (no holding, trigger happy delay of game, bullahit PI) because they’ve gotten crosswise with the league (Saints, Raiders) or others have ownership groups that are seen as core to the business (Giants, Patriots, Steelers) and get a bit more leeway?  Yes. 

But in general, humans are terribly fallible. Cock up before conspiracy.

Edited by Bateshorn

For me, the infamous Lakers-Kings Game 6 was like catching Dad placing presents under the Christmas tree.  I knew intellectually that Santa wasn't real, but I wanted to believe so I just went with it.  I didn't want to accept that games were rigged, right up until I watched a game that showed the undeniable truth that major Pro sports really were fixed (at times).  

Any time there is a game where calls alter the trajectory of the game I have to wonder.

3 quick fouls on a star NBA player;  a couple early drives extended or ended by a call on a lineman that literally be called every play.  

I'm now jaded.

6 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Conversation should extend to the NBA where you have former refs like Donaghy openly admitting to fixing games. Lakers-Kings, Mavs-Heat, Rockets-Warriors etc.

NBA clearly has officials protect certain stars and has been for decades.

Individual officials have been allowed to take out their biases against certain teams.  There were two or three officials who just hated the Rockets and Hakeem Olajuwon.  They would rapidly calls fouls and technicals and let other teams get away with muggings.

Gambler money clearly impacts officiating in every sport.  I think basketball probably worse than others as officials have so much leeway on what to call on every play.

6 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Conversation should extend to the NBA where you have former refs like Donaghy openly admitting to fixing games. Lakers-Kings, Mavs-Heat, Rockets-Warriors etc.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

Long story on it and the suspicion that the NBA blew up the investigation to see if more refs were on the take.

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Not a late hit on Burrow. There’s not a soul living that would accept that as legit penalty if it went against your team. Burrow flopped.

That hold happens all the time.

Screen shotting Ossais push is misleading. It was the shove a step or two later that got the penalty. Ossai himself ending up 7-8 yards deep into the sideline.

Bullshit.  He took 3 steps after the pass was gone and shoved him in the chest.  You don't do a complete flip when you are flopping.  You have to be a KC fan.

I don't think the NFL fixed the game, but there may have been some refs on the take.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Ugh.  I'm sure it was terrible considering how often the game has been referenced.  That's nightmare fuel for me.  I have very vivid dreams.  Always have.  I frequently have dreams where Texas either gets screwed by the refs in a big game or does something stupid like fumbling a snap to kill the clock.  I have no idea why I never have dreams where Texas is the beneficiary of aforementioned plays.

To add, the Okie St game was typical of one of my nightmares.  Not so much the bumping of the ref (which was bs), but the play in which they called defensive holding on our interior DL-man.  I'm still pissed about that one.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ugh.  I'm sure it was terrible considering how often the game has been referenced.  That's nightmare fuel for me.  I have very vivid dreams.  Always have.  I frequently have dreams where Texas either gets screwed by the refs in a big game or does something stupid like fumbling a snap to kill the clock.  I have no idea why I never have dreams where Texas is the beneficiary of aforementioned plays.

To add, the Okie St game was typical of one of my nightmares.  Not so much the bumping of the ref (which was bs), but the play in which they called defensive holding on our interior DL-man.  I'm still pissed about that one.

The OSU game was random incompetence compared to the Teaff game. It was the kind of thing you’d see in a movie if the officials’ families were being held for ransom. Seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

If youre an NFL ref you are most likely a football fan. And it you're a football fan, you are either a Cowboys fan or you hate the fucking Cowboys. And they don't let Cowboy fans ref Cowboy games

Don't kid yourself, I am completely indifferent to the Cowboys.  If they do well, I guess some of my friends are happy.  If they suck, I guess some of my friends are unhappy.  Still don't care.   

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Don't kid yourself, I am completely indifferent to the Cowboys.  If they do well, I guess some of my friends are happy.  If they suck, I guess some of my friends are unhappy.  Still don't care.   

Well, there's a reason that the Cowboys always have the highest tv ratings.  It's not just due to the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well, there's a reason that the Cowboys always have the highest tv ratings.  It's not just due to the fanbase.

I am not denying that there are people that watch them.  I am denying that there are only fans/non-fans.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I look at games being rigged like I look at this.  There are human biases and circles of influence (gambling) that will conspire to impact individual games here and there but there is no tops down scripted rigging of it all to get to one or one of a few outcomes at the end of a season, etc.

7 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

The NBA is rigged which is why I don't watch it. Football? Maybe. 

The refs have way too much influence in the NBA, and the NFL is going in the same direction. 

If you can't see how the big12 has been fucking us without lube then you are blind. 

I blame abbott. 

At the Baylor game last year the announcers didn't even recognize him when he rolled onto the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pro wrestling isn't rigged.  It is scripted.   Calling it rigged is like saying Top Gun is rigged.

I think MLB has some of the best officiating out there.  Their ability to get those close calls or call a ball moving 80-100 mph with the degree of accuracy they do is absolutely impressive.  They make a mistake here or there, but the MLB umps IMO do a fantastic job.   

College seems to be a bit more variable.   There are just times when it looks like the strike zone is variable based on the team, not just a mistake.

Heck, my kid's team at the local league has umpires that in general do a better job. 

I have seen in the NFL a guy get his facemask grabbed, and HE got called for the penalty.  But generally, I think the NFL does it right. 

19 penalties to 1, single yard penalty late in the game, yeah it is rigged.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So many posters here aggressively arguing that systemic rigging is impossible. I get it. It seems unfathomable.

But the NBA scandal shined a light on how it all works. There isn’t some Illuminati committee in a league office plotting out moves. Of course that is very unlikely and silly.  

What happens are tiny little decisions and moves that all add up to pushing results a certain direction.

For example, Donaghy talked about the fact that the refs who demonstrated a record for calling a game in a way so that the “right” team won would get more playoff assignments.

So Stern doesn’t go tell a ref to throw the game. He lines up a crew that gets more pay, more assignments, and more notoriety in exchange for making those tiny little calls that help push a result in a certain direction.

This is just one example of the many ways it’s rigged. And then there is the organized crime systemic rigging, which is probably a much bigger game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Bullshit.  He took 3 steps after the pass was gone and shoved him in the chest.  You don't do a complete flip when you are flopping.  You have to be a KC fan.
I don't think the NFL fixed the game, but there may have been some refs on the take.

My ass. A 200 something lb athlete like Burrow is not falling backwards a rolling over on a dude that jabs him with his left hand unless he’s playing it up. It was a dumbass move by the defender letting him know he’s there, but you don’t that.

Lolwut?
Watch the back of Burrow's chest protector. That is _never_ allowed in NFL games.

Watch NFL every weekend. They’re all over the board with it. Old dudes generally get more protection. Here’s an article on Fields saying he doesn’t get protection. Can Newton and others used to say the same thing.

Here’s what we need to remember. It’s a safety rule. If there’s no threat to injury, then it shouldn’t be called.

https://sports.yahoo.com/justin-fields-tired-hits-plans-191500272.html.

I do stand corrected though in that maybe some wouldn’t have an issue with it called against them.

10 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

There are comments on the Chiefs-Bengals thread about the officiating. There are also comments on the Conference realignment and left behind threads. 

I'll throw my thoughts out. I don't think it's rigged to the point that professional wrestling is rigged, but yes, leagues guide the narrative. I've seen numerous references to the NFL being legally an "entertainment" league, and being in the same category as wrestling. If this is true, fixing games isn't illegal, as wrestling matches are usually fixed. I haven't found a definitive source on this, simply references to the law passed in 1961 after the NFL lost a Supreme Court anti-trust case in 1957. I haven't found, except on message boards, the claim that the NFL is entertainment, not sports.

The Sports-Media complex has no interest in exposing the darker side of sports. They functionally own the leagues. They protect some players, crucify others, dittos for teams. 

NBA, definitely. It's a star driven league, and finals ratings are greatly influenced by which teams are playing for the title. My "AHA!" moment in the NBA was watching a Lakers game in the 80s. Magic Johnson had five fouls, two minutes left. He hacked an opposing player. The ref blew the whistle and started to point at Johnson, realized who it was, and swerved to put the foul on another Lakers player who was about eight feet away. There were no traveling calls on Jordan, ever. He could start at half court and drive all the way to the basket without dribbling. 

NFL, yeah. Tuck rule game, Saints being allowed to murder Vikings QB Brett Favre in the title game when the league wanted the Saints to win the Super Bowl after Katrina, Steelers never having a call go against them in the 1970s, Earl Morrall throwing three interceptions in the first half of Colts-Jets, when the NFL desperately needed an AFL win for the merger to go through. 

College, yeah, but there are so many entities that it's not a unified narrative like the NBA and NFL. Conferences will put their thumb on the scale for a team that has a chance for the playoffs, cause the conference gets a share of the playoff money. Right now, Texas and Oklahoma won't get a break because the B12 doesn't want them winning the conference on the way out the door. 

Anyway, your thoughts? True fixing, or just losing team sour grapes? We know there are SOME sour grapes, but is there a basis for some of those claims? Remember Tim Donaghy.

I didn’t read all of your post. No, it’s not close to rigged. The posters in the KC thread were ridiculed. I look forward to your next initiated thread. You should title it “Am I Retarded?”