MLS 2023

Jerry Callo

Two serious issues with Apple TV+ MLS package:

1. You can't come to a game late or the next day without having the score shown.  Issue 1. resolved.  Score spoilers are a default setting that can be changed in the Apple TV app (not on a browser, though).  Steps for changing default.

2.  You can't tell where you are in the game if you fast forward through pre-game, half-time, etc.

Really makes for a shitty experience watching previously recorded games or games already-in-progress.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Tulsa Athletic (NPSL Amateur) v. Sporting KC. I’m cheering for the amateurs. SKC up 1-0 53:00.

IMG_1174.jpeg

I watching that one on YouTube and 18 for Tulsa looks like an average Joe. How did the main Tulsa team lose to this squad? Fun game and probably only time I'll ever watch Tulsa Athletic.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Honestly it has to be weird for him being in a country where it’s 50/50 whether he will be ignored or mobbed.  

Granted, Miami is different, but if Messi walked into an Austin Central Market with a Criquet shirt, jeans and some dad ON Clouds, would anyone turn a head?  

22 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Uh, why is there a month + gap in the schedule?

IMG_4892.thumb.png.534a29c4468838c5ff55ce9e4080cfb1.png

It is the macrocosm version of “the siesta”, which is basically a rest while it’s too fucking hot to play. It is quite common in the western hemisphere soccer seasons.

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why doesn't the MLS just have a normal all-star game? What's the point of playing a giant club team? None of the MLS guys play with each other.

I mean, they shouldn't have an all-star game to begin with, but...

They want people to watch it and they want people to buy tickets. 

They have tried many different setups:

1) East v West

2) US players v Internationals

3) MLS All-Stars v Mexicans (either All-Stars or maybe a single club 🤷‍♂️)

4) MLS All-Stars v Big Name Euro Club

We are currently in the #4 era. There is also the hope that 1-3 players will show out and either get interest from the Euro club or some other Euro club will see the MLS All-Star play well against a top club and will gauge transfer interest. 

Tonight’s shellacking will mean that absolutely zero players are going to draw interest this summer/January due to their play tonight. 

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

There is also the hope that 1-3 players will show out and either get interest from the Euro club or some other Euro club will see the MLS All-Star play well against a top club and will gauge transfer interest. 

Tonight’s shellacking will mean that absolutely zero players are going to draw interest this summer/January due to their play tonight. 

I don't think anyone should be taking that match seriously and it shouldn't (nay - it won't) affect any of those guys transfer values. It would be embarassing if one of the ~5 best teams in the world playing their starters couldn't beat eleven random MLS players thrown together with a couple days to prepare. I'm not sure why the MLS guys would even be playing hard. 

Which sort of reinforces my point - it's not a great image for the league and doesn't make any sense. MLS teams do well in friendlies against bigger Euro teams all the time. 

They either need to scrap the game or have it be a regular East vs. West format. I didn't think the Liga MX thing was terrible, either. 

(I do think you're right about the TV ratings/money angle)

Edited by ztejas

The Euro teams play their starters, their bench, and their players out on loan who may go out on loan again.

An MLS player doesn’t need to boss the field, they just need to look calm, make the right decisions, show speed, show tidy touch and/or nice weight on passes, especially when under pressure. Players have done this in the past. Players did not do this last night. 

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Huge missed opportunity for Apple. Should have made the match free (at the very least to + subscribers) and promoted the hell out of it. 

Apple is fucking up the entire league but I guarantee the US won't allow it to continue. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dude hasn't played one fucking game in MLS. 

Also he's 35 and joined the last place team in the East. Good luck. 

And he had some beautiful lime-splitting passes up just arriving from vacation. 

It is a testament to how little pressure MLS lifers really face. That’s why they shouldn’t be on the national team except for a few exceptions each cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

this is basically Messi 

kramer-karete.gif

Thats probably pretty close to how it feels for Messi. Dude's been dominating against the best on the planet since he was 18, and now he's lining up against the Atlanta Uniteds of the world. I saw where the odds for Miami to win the MLS cup jumped all the way up to +2200...that may still be a decent bet. 

Edited by Blotto

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Atlanta's D on a couple of these is just shambolic. Robinson seems to still not be close to in form. 

That was the very first thing I thought 2 seconds into the first video.  How about, perhaps, marking the greatest player in the world?

Anyone catch the Houston/Santos game.  Went to PKs.  Apparently Houston lost 5-4 to Orlando on PKs on Sat.  They again went to PKs and won 5-4 because Santos' last taker skied it.  

I watched Portland v Tigres last night.  Dude for Portland scored via a pretty solid free kick. 

• A few mins later, the same guy elbowed a Tigres player in the head and got a yellow.
  • A minute after that, he played a horrible back pass which led to a Tigres, breakaway goal.
  • A minute after that, he scraped the head of a Tigres player and was given a second yellow.  Dumbass.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Potential MLS MVP heading to Saudi

Well furk!

He’s one of the solid #10s in the MLS. He helps raise the floor of the MLS. 

Well, Argentina is going to become even more of a feeder league, because the MLS will start raiding it even more if teams in the desert shit hole on top of oil reserves are going to come in and raid our players in addition to too Euro clubs. 

EDIT: Just checked and Zelarayán is 31 years old. So not quite as upset. I thought that he was 26. 

Edited by Napoleon

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Well furk!

He’s one of the solid #10s in the MLS. He helps raise the floor of the MLS. 

Well, Argentina is going to become even more of a feeder league, because the MLS will start raiding it even more if teams in the desert shit hole on top of oil reserves are going to come in and raid our players in addition to too Euro clubs. 

EDIT: Just checked and Zelarayán is 31 years old. So not quite as upset. I thought that he was 26. 

So if you are Austin FC, what is minimum you would take from Saudis for Driussi on top of taking Rigoni too, of course. 

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So if you are Austin FC, what is minimum you would take from Saudis for Driussi on top of taking Rigoni too, of course. 

$20M to $30M

I can’t say exactly because I don’t know what they bought him for and I don’t know how they determine a players value to the team, but he scores goals

Players who score goals are worth more. Period. 

Plus, he’s Argentine, which is like what a Brazilian was 15-25 years ago. You pay more for the flag.
$&&🇦🇷  $$$🇧🇷