2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

14 minutes ago, YChang said:

Not sure really where to post this but came across this link for a Yakamein recipe. It's a product of Chinese immigrants working alongside African Americans on plantations and railroads in New Orleans. 

A. I've never heard of this before!

B. I need to make this.

C. We need more mixing of people and culture for all the delicious delicious food. 

There are fewer more stark moments in American racial history -- and I mean this, truly -- than when the self-loathing Latinos for Trump guy referred to "taco trucks on every corner."

He meant that as a threat, an awful thing to be avoided.  Too much mexican-ism around here.

Decent human beings -- and people who like tasty food -- heard that and thought "holy fucking shit, that would be fucking awesome."

Those are the "two Americas."  People who see taco trucks on every corner as a threat, vs. people who see taco trucks on every corner as an amenity.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Decent human beings -- and people who like tasty food -- heard that and thought "holy fucking shit, that would be fucking awesome."

Those are the "two Americas."  People who see taco trucks on every corner as a threat, vs. people who see taco trucks on every corner as an amenity.

I mean the only criticism I would have is that I would want variety from those taco trucks. I need representation from all regions of Mexico. 😄

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not sure what is a worse red flag about a guy. That he took hypnotism classes to help with his lack of success with women, or that he feels it's no big deal to mention it in random interviews. One is creepy and the other shows a lack of awareness. Just imagine what he must say in private especially given his recent racist statements.

not to mention that I call BS that his mom's OB hypnotized her during labor and she felt no discomfort. 

Want to join the circus? — Comic Book Hypnosis Ads!

2 minutes ago, YChang said:

I mean the only criticism I would have is that I would want variety from those taco trucks. I need representation from all regions of Mexico. 😄

If you drive on N. Lamar between 183 and Rundberg on a Saturday night, there are probably 10-15 different taco trucks/trailers set up, with bright colored lights, big seating areas, music playing, and folks eating and having a good time.  For years I've wanted to do a "progressive taco truck crawl" there.  Pick like 5-6, stopping to get a taco at each one, mixing it up to get the specialty of the house if they have one.  Carnitas one place, tripas another, maybe little mexico city street tacos of al pastor at another.  That's the good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 3

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you drive on N. Lamar between 183 and Rundberg on a Saturday night, there are probably 10-15 different taco trucks/trailers set up, with bright colored lights, big seating areas, music playing, and folks eating and having a good time.  For years I've wanted to do a "progressive taco truck crawl" there.  Pick like 5-6, stopping to get a taco at each one, mixing it up to get the specialty of the house if they have one.  Carnitas one place, tripas another, maybe little mexico city street tacos of al pastor at another.  That's the good stuff.

You had me at carnitas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Some say it’s cyclical, but we’re in a really dark place, racially speaking. As trite as it may be, there is something to the belief that encroaching equality is experienced as oppression among the privileged.

For every wokism in the world, there is an equal and opposite racism - Newton, if alive today, probably 

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The included the Irish and Italians in the melting pot stuff?

comedy central wtf GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

12f35ff0-3861-4078-b04c-d429cbe8e00a_tex

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For years I've wanted to do a "progressive taco truck crawl" there.  Pick like 5-6, stopping to get a taco at each one, mixing it up to get the specialty of the house if they have one.  Carnitas one place, tripas another, maybe little mexico city street tacos of al pastor at another.  That's the good stuff.

I did this for about a year in Mexico. Would recommend. Also, username. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have successfully done this in Oaxaca.  I have also recently discovered this plethora of trucks in north Austin.  We already have the group together to make this happen, we have just been waiting for a weekend when the weather is nice and we're all available.  I expect this to happen in the next 3-5 weeks.  I'll report back.

Also, I have added Yaka Mein to my list for next time I go to New Orleans.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It was a poll written up in Rasmussen Reports and was discussed in the Elon Musk thread because those two dipwads intersect and amplify each other in too many ways. Maybe a page or two back. It was a dog whistle poll.

And Rasmussen Reports is not what it once was - Scott Rasmussen bailed a while back.

If Adams goes around and assumes that at least half hate him, and he treats them accordingly, it'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But here's Slate's take on the poll being dumber than you can imagine

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/02/dilbert-scott-adams-racist-rant-black-hate-explained.html

On 2/23/2023 at 12:07 PM, Pancho said:

Posted earlier in the Alt Right Mockery thread.

At this point I don't really care if he's saying this because he's running for office or not.

He is saying it in Daytona. He didn't have to say anything. He spent an hour telling those nazis he ain't going to put up with their shit.

He might have to learn what counts as free speech and what doesn't, but I also think he can make life hard for them.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:59 AM, elfenix said:

Bilingual Erath County worker quits after English-only office demand

Veronica Cajamarca, 36, said she and the only other bilingual employee of the Erath County tax assessor-collector office were asked to sign the policy after other employees complained they were talking about them in Spanish.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2023/02/23/bilingual-erath-county-employee-i-quit-after-being-asked-to-sign-english-only-rule/

The judge apologized in person and issued a statement to that effect. 

The county clerk has not spoken afaik. Not the county attorney she ran it by.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

At this point I don't really care if he's saying this because he's running for office or not.

He is saying it in Daytona. He didn't have to say anything. He spent an hour telling those nazis he ain't going to put up with their shit.

He might have to learn what counts as free speech and what doesn't, but I also think he can make life hard for them.

At the very least, he's going to make some in the "Back the Blue" crowd have to decide where they stand - he's throwing down a public challenge, just as we are a year out from major primaries/etc.  He is free to put their shit on blast as well.  

By the way, for folks who have never been down there or lived there, Bike Week 2023 is coming up this weekend, so holy shit you're going to get the full mix of minorities, racists, etc. with lots of law enforcement mixed in, lots of alcohol, lots of drugs, lots of Confederate flags.

DeSantis will stay away from this as much as he can, given that he doesn't need to piss off the MAGA/racists or the Jewish Republicans (or Jews in general given that it's Florida).  

3 hours ago, YChang said:

Not sure really where to post this but came across this link for a Yakamein recipe. It's a product of Chinese immigrants working alongside African Americans on plantations and railroads in New Orleans. 

A. I've never heard of this before!

B. I need to make this.

C. We need more mixing of people and culture for all the delicious delicious food. 

There are a few references to yaka mein in The Wire.

I will say my constant drumbeat on the dangers of Trump to democracy bore fruit with a number of people who used to consider themselves all in with Trump, but are now disgusted by him, but that took 4 to 5 years of enduring abuse and ridicule, while simply insisting I'm right, feeling like if I simply kept planting the seed, at some point it will become so apparent they won't be able to hold a cognitive dissonance about it.

Nah, they're still awful people. They just have Desantis now. Desantis is the (more) polished turd they can now tolerate being in there punch bowl.

36 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Nah, they're still awful people. They just have Desantis now. Desantis is the (more) polished turd they can now tolerate being in there punch bowl.

This.  They are still the same horrible people, they are just looking for a less ugly wagon to hitch on to.  The world will be better off with them dead and their stupid ass sayings on their tombstones.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, YChang said:

Wow really? I need to pay closer attention on my next rewatch. 

Two I can think of off top of my head are Carv answering one of the tapped phones as a Chinese restaurant talking about yaka mein and another when Dukie orders yaka mein with turkey grease because that's what his mom ordered and it's for drunks.

Edited by TwiceHorn
(I did my fourth rewatch not too long ago).

1 hour ago, YChang said:

Wow really? I need to pay closer attention on my next rewatch. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Two I can think of off top of my head are Carv answering one of the tapped phones as a Chinese restaurant talking about yaka mein and another when Dukie orders yaka mein with turkey grease because that's what his mom ordered and it's for drunks.

353B6F85-DE17-41F9-88E7-782B663AA161.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There are fewer more stark moments in American racial history -- and I mean this, truly -- than when the self-loathing Latinos for Trump guy referred to "taco trucks on every corner."

He meant that as a threat, an awful thing to be avoided.  Too much mexican-ism around here.

I don’t need a taco truck on every corner. 

however, if it could be that there was always a taco truck on the corner nearest to me, as I move about in the world, that would be pretty fucking convenient. 
also a pierogi stand adjacent. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I’ve never been able to figure out if they are referring to yakamein, which is  hyperlocal Black New Orleanian hangover food that I’m not aware of existing outside Orleans Parish, or something similar sounding. Regardless, it’s awesome and everyone should be on the lookout for Ms Linda when in NO. 

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Rasmussen Reports is not what it once was - Scott Rasmussen bailed a while back.

If Adams goes around and assumes that at least half hate him, and he treats them accordingly, it'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But here's Slate's take on the poll being dumber than you can imagine

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/02/dilbert-scott-adams-racist-rant-black-hate-explained.html

Of course Rasmussen is parroting 4chan. This fucking timeline man

I’ve just put these numbers to ink, and my brain isn’t melting. But it does hurt a little bit. That’s because, as Rasmussen surely knows, the phrase “It’s OK to be white” is a right-wing troll that originated in the forums of 4Chan. As the Washington Post chronicled in 2017, the term was originally intended as a covert way to force an overreaction from progressives, including liberal journalists, if it started to spread, which in turn would show “lefties” hate white people. Soon, signs bearing the slogan did crop up on campuses and other places around the country. The hysteria never arrived, but as Mitchell notes, the Anti-Defamation League did mark the phrase a “hate slogan”—reasonably, given that it was white supremacists (most notably David Duke) who ran with the 4Chan prank in the first place.

I can't believe the problems with the "poll" had to be explained, but here we are. "Half of all Black people think it's wrong to be white" isn't a blatant tell that the poll has problems? People like Dilbert and his ilk aren't immediately suspicious that something else is going win with said poll? It's because they don't fucking care. It's a party/ideology built solely on falsehoods. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Of course Rasmussen is parroting 4chan. This fucking timeline man

Here is more about Rasmussen from my post in the Elon thread. The tie to David Duke and the phrase is through the editor of Rasmussen Reports, Fran Coombs.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:45 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

So while I was waiting on the rest of the family, I did some googling as well. What you found got me curious and so I dug a little into Rasmussen Reports (the pollster). The founder, Scott Rasmussen, left in 2013 and the CEO is Ted Carrol. The managing editor is now Fran Coombs. Fran used to work for The Washington Times, a right-of-center publication. Whooo boy this guy.  Fran Coombs, and his wife, Marion Kester Coombs-a writer for The Occidental Quarterly (an anti-Semitic white nationalist 'journal,' are fairly well known among the farther to the right of right set. He published several of her pieces in WT w/o acknowledging the relationship.

Fran Coombs has had quite a few sexual harassment claims against him, which he has denied but he is OTR as aligned with such pols as David Duke among others. 

I can't elaborate much further w/o getting really Cloaky, but the trifecta of Elon, Fran, and Scott Adams makes sense when you're trying to take a certain message mainstream, regardless of the grifting potential.

So what you're saying makes the stupid poll question make rather more sense.

Here is a little more about Mr. Coombs and his spouse. I'll go with her first as she writes prolifically. She has been published in The Practical Homeschool Journal, The American Conservative, VDare, etc. Here is one of her published quotes from 2001 on the American Renaissance website:

"Whites do not like crowded societies, and Americans would not have to live in crowds if our government kept out Third-World invaders."

She has a blog, but I haven't gone there. Now on to her husband, Fran.

Fran is aligned with the academic and embedded white supremacists in various media and other organizations as well as politicians such as David Duke mentioned above. It would take quite a bit of time to go into the specifics, but even as one connects the dots with his various relationships with known supremacists, he tries to keep a lower profile than he used to. Getting tabbed to lead Rasmussen Reports is, in some ways, an achievement as it shows how much the tentacles reach in places one might not have thought.

The Archibald in this quote is George Archibald, four time Pulitzer prize nominee and is referring back to the time when Coombs was still editor at the WT:

Archibald recounted a discussion in 1992 among several Times reporters and editors: "We were having a conversation about abortion. We were all prolife, antiabortion, and we were trying to explain how we would discuss this in the paper. All of a sudden Fran blurts out that he is pro-abortion. I argued with him and he said, 'How do you think we're going to stop the population growth of the minorities and all the welfare people?'" Another Times senior staffer recounted similar statements about abortion and race by Coombs at a party, where Coombs called himself a "racial nationalist." A former staffer alleged that Coombs used racial slurs including "spic" and "towel-head" inside the Times.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So brave of the newspapers to remove the cartoon now, when he straight up admitted to being a racist piece of shit, instead of the other dozen times in the past 6 months that he's made that abundantly clear--without technically admitting it--all because they didn't want to deal with the "YoU'rE SiLeNcinG cOnSeRvAtiVe VoiCeS!" crowd.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

dammit I thought that maybe Old Face Andre called Kima yakamein, but his line was "you're one of them half-soul half-Chinese types, from Vietnam and shit. Come again now mama-san".

On 2/27/2023 at 4:28 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not sure what is a worse red flag about a guy. That he took hypnotism classes to help with his lack of success with women, or that he feels it's no big deal to mention it in random interviews. One is creepy and the other shows a lack of awareness. Just imagine what he must say in private especially given his recent racist statements.

not to mention that I call BS that his mom's OB hypnotized her during labor and she felt no discomfort. 

I know a lady in Houston that does a lot of pain management type hypnosis, and she's also done quite a bit of it for anethesiology alternatives.  Not sure if they don't feel anything, but it does make it bearable, since some people can not use standard anesthesiology.  Granted, it's not widely accepted, but it is known to be used.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:31 PM, Brisketexan said:

Went to a taco street vendor in Boystown, Nuevo Laredo about 35 years ago at 5 am.  Seems his specialty was cabbage and some mystery meat, probably dog.  Good thing I was very soused on pony Coronas.  

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think we have a very small, but very profitable window to make some Dilbert carrying an AR15 shirts and stickers. 

I'm thinking pocket protectors.  

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2023 at 5:26 PM, YChang said:

You could go for a hambur-gwessa and papitas with a diet coke-oh.

• Haha 1

Shocking.

The US government has sued Exxon Mobil for failing to address racial discrimination after multiple nooses were found at a worksite in Louisiana.

A black employee, Milferd McGhee, discovered a noose at the Baton Rouge plant in January 2020 and reported it, a lawsuit filed on Thursday said.

Exxon failed to prevent the harassment, as another noose was found in December 2020, the lawsuit alleged. 

It was the fifth noose to be discovered at the plant from 2016 to 2020. 

The lawsuit - filed by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) - alleges the oil giant violated federal law by investigating some but not all of the incidents involving nooses at the Baton Rouge chemical plant, leading to "a racially hostile work environment".

"A noose is a longstanding symbol of violence associated with the lynching of African Americans," said Elizabeth Owen, an attorney with the EEOC in New Orleans. "Such symbols are inherently threatening and significantly alter the workplace environment for black Americans."

When employers become aware of racially offensive or threatening behaviour in the workplace, they have "a legal obligation to take prompt, remedial action aimed at stopping it," said Rudy Sustaita, an attorney with the EEOC's Houston, Texas office.

In a statement, Exxon Mobil said it disagreed with the EEOC's findings and allegations, arguing it "encourage[d] employees to report claims like this, and we thoroughly investigated". 

"We have a zero tolerance policy of any form of harassment or discrimination in the workplace by or towards employees, contractors, suppliers or customers," said Todd Spitler, a spokesperson for the company. 

The first incident took place in April 2016, when an employee at the chemical plant reported a rope tied into a hangman's noose hanging from a scaffold, leading two contractors to be banned from the worksite. 

Since then, four other instances of nooses were reported at the site, but Exxon failed on multiple occasions to complete all recommended measures to prevent future racial discrimination, the EEOC claimed. 

The lawsuit seeks to ban Exxon from discriminating against its employees on the basis of race and to require the company to provide programs that promote equal employment opportunities. 

It also seeks to make Mr. McGhee - who has worked at the plant since 2010 - "whole" by giving him compensation for the emotional pain, suffering and humiliation he experienced as a result of the incident. 

The lawsuit comes after several nooses were also discovered at an Amazon fulfilment centre construction site in 2021, as well as one at the construction site of the Obama Presidential Centre in Chicago in 2022.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64842269

Back to the taco trucks discussion.  So as it turns out, the group I was with didn't have the stomach capacity to truly do the taco mile.  We did sample 4 trucks by the bounce place and all of them were delicious, however to me the star of the show was the tlayuda at the Oaxacan truck.  Pastor tacos at the truck in the back were a close second.  

We are going to have to go back for a round two at the truck cluster down closer to rundberg.  I will report back. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Slorch

I’m not clear.  Do you object to the intervention?  Are those words sufficient to absolve the noose displays?  You are Exxon mgt:  what would you do?

I would investigate it in depth, fire the motherfuckers and their cohorts, and lawyer money whip any and all who contest the firings.   If they are numerous, lay a RICO charge on they asses.   Donziger style.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

Slorch

I’m not clear.  Do you object to the intervention?  Are those words sufficient to absolve the noose displays?  You are Exxon mgt:  what would you do?

I would investigate it in depth, fire the motherfuckers and their cohorts, and lawyer money whip any and all who contest the firings.   If they are numerous, lay a RICO charge on they asses.   Donziger style.

Those minorities being shown the noose just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps...or something. 

No they won't die in a fire.  If they did their "own research", they'd quickly learn how we use people like them.  Most White Nationalists, Christian Nationalists, MAGA-nation, Qanon, et. al.  The thing you feel when you get up in the morning?  That sense of belonging?  Of meaning?  Of purpose?  That's me.  Your drug is Donald Trump and White Pride.  The syringe though?  That's me.   You're going to die.  And your son is going to kill your wife outta spite.  It's gonna take ten years but we're going to liquidate your population.  Handful of you fuckers are gonna take out a mall full of people with an AR-15, and that saddens me.  But I promise you, dollars to donuts, thousands of you fuckers are gonna eat bullets before the decade is out.  and we'll fix it so that you pull the trigger.  I had no idea how easy and satisfying it was to make people commit suicide.

Edited by YGIFS

"JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — The family of a Mississippi man whose dismembered body was found in November said his newly released autopsy report shows he was murdered, and they called for a federal investigation into the case Monday."

"At a news conference Monday alongside Carter’s family, Ben Crump, a prominent civil rights attorney, said the Justice Department should take up the case after local police said they had no reason to believe the man’s death was the result of foul play."

"His family said the day before his disappearance, Carter, who is Black, went to the Taylorsville Police Department and reported that he feared for his safety because men were after him, WAPT-TV reported. "

https://apnews.com/article/dismembered-man-federal-investigation-mississippi-7cc5ef2b299577dc1ae3ce9a170ed4d5

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The family of a Mississippi man whose dismembered body was found in November said his newly released autopsy report shows he was murdered

after local police said they had no reason to believe the man’s death was the result of foul play."

There are police departments in Mississippi who will claim a dismembered corpse is not a sign of foul play.

Learning Take Note GIF by BLoafX

• Like 2

In NYT this a.m., I’ll summarize.  The National Science and Engineering Foundations have issued guidelines on genetics related research papers, to the effect that racial terms and parameters should not be used in papers, as they are poor and typically misleading proxies for true genetic diversity.  It has taken longer than expected, but this is now the strong view of organized science. 

Next act by Texas legislature?   Forbid state universities from having their faculties accept fellowships from these most prestigious of all science and engineering societies.  Watch the exits.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:57 PM, atomheartbevo said:

There are police departments in Mississippi who will claim a dismembered corpse is not a sign of foul play.

Learning Take Note GIF by BLoafX

Congressman Furlong (preparing for a jog with Mike), "Hey, what do you move like Will?"

Will (also joining the run), "I move as slowly as a Mississippi detective investigating the murder of a young black man."  

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I know my first instinct should be "what a racist piece of shit", and my second one should be "of course, he's a Floridian MAGA lover."  But all I can think of is he's the guy who Don, Jr. gets his coke from.  I didn't get the end part though, were they doing that as some kinda bizarre crowdfunding deal?