2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Oh, I got a lotta flaws but even as a person of color/mixed-race, I keep my rants on racism pretty short (as compared to most white people on here and own other long posts).  

I have to admit, I can listen/read a lot of progressive shit about this issue and that issue (Mother Jones, the Atlantic, a dozen periodicals from far-left UT, and the coke-fueled ramblings of Chomsky)...but I have to admit...I roll my eyes a bit when I see the 3000-word dissertation on "Race in Contemporary America" by Stacey Gardner-Schultz from Bryn Mawr.  It's like Bill Burr said, "Just sit down with the white men and take your talking to!"  ;)  

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled echo-chamber stuff.  Most accurate thing I've read on here as of late is the notion that most White People arguing against CRT, Wokeness, "just comply", aren't really feeling victimized themselves.  They're just jammed up about people of color asking for a fair shake like they have to do every fucking generation.  They;re not banning books because they're afraid their kids are gonna read them, they're banning them because young people of color are gonna read them and think, "Wait, why is this in historical fiction.  It's literally going on today, in real life."  

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Oh, I got a lotta flaws but even as a person of color/mixed-race, I keep my rants on racism pretty short (as compared to most white people on here and own other long posts).  

I have to admit, I can listen/read a lot of progressive shit about this issue and that issue (Mother Jones, the Atlantic, a dozen periodicals from far-left UT, and the coke-fueled ramblings of Chomsky)...but I have to admit...I roll my eyes a bit when I see the 3000-word dissertation on "Race in Contemporary America" by Stacey Gardner-Schultz from Bryn Mawr.  It's like Bill Burr said, "Just sit down with the white men and take your talking to!"  ;)  

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled echo-chamber stuff.  Most accurate thing I've read on here as of late is the notion that most White People arguing against CRT, Wokeness, "just comply", aren't really feeling victimized themselves.  They're just jammed up about people of color asking for a fair shake like they have to do every fucking generation.  They;re not banning books because they're afraid their kids are gonna read them, they're banning them because young people of color are gonna read them and think, "Wait, why is this in historical fiction.  It's literally going on today, in real life."  

TL;DR

😜

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

In the early 70s, we were pushing a national ethos of “the great American melting pot” - I mean, it was literally one of the Schoolhouse Rock bits. That SHOULD be our national ethos. For fuck’s sake, it’s even on our coinage (e pluribus unum). Even though we were far from perfect, and still had much work to do, our national multi-racial/ethnic identity was moving in the right direction. It sure as shit isn’t anymore. Not until recent years have I ever had anyone question whether I was TRULY a loyal American because of my last name (my family has most likely been here longer than theirs, but whatever).

Second issue: the “demonization of white people” when discussing historical actions/injustices. No, it is not demonization of white people qua white people BUT, intellectually lazy people who really don’t want to take ANY ownership of where we are like to say it is. Because it IS distinct from telling a story of one bad thing one white person did. It’s not. Take Tulsa as an example. Tulsa was not am example of “some renegade bad people, who just happened to be white, did some bad stuff to people who just happened to be black.” Nope.
1. Functionally the entirety of Tulsa society took part in the violence.
2. That included the apparatus of the government and law enforcement, which is literally the embodiment of society as a whole.
3. The action was against ALL blacks people in Greenwood, BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK.
“A bad guy” didn’t attack Greenwood. White Tulsa - functionally ALL of White Tulsa - did.
Look at the photos of lynchings. It’s not a picture of the town’s there embarrassing retrograde racists smiling next to the dead body. It’s huge swaths of the town.
Look at the mob savaging black students at Little Rock High.
Look at the crowd harassing black students at the lunch counter.
These were not isolated bad actors. They were a system and society as a whole attacking black people, perpetuating racism, etc. Jim Crow laws weren’t passed by one bad guy; they were passed with broad local support.
Were there white people who did right? Of course. Off the top of my head, two of the most revered pieces of American literature are about white people who did right by black people (To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn). Interestingly, they have historically been books that white America has wanted to ban.
Or on a personal note, I’ve told the story of the Koy family (Longhorn legends). My great uncle was one of the first Hispanic lettermen in the SWC, nearly 100 years ago now (sheesh). He told stories of being harassed for his ethnicity by opposing fans, merchants, etc. But he also spoke reverently about Ernie Koy Sr, a white guy from Bellville, who had his back. He proudly spoke of the time they had to keep Ernie from going up into the stands to whoop the ass of a fan who’d been spewing racist bullshit all game. So, yeah…be an Ernie Koy (also, no Koy will ever pay for his drinks while I’m in the room - that family is what honor and decency look like).
TLDR; no, not all individual white people were racist. But white society as a whole sure as shit was, and it wasn’t a quirk, it was a core function (Jim Crow). We need to stop being pussies and running away from that truth. It doesn’t mean that you and I are racist, but it DOES mean that we inherited racist institutions. If we want credit for doing the right thing, then maybe…we should do it.

For the life of me, I can’t remember the guys name, but when I was in college we had a speaker in Texas History.   He was a coach, and he told a story about making the state playoffs and having to travel to Houston from south Texas in the early 1960s.  His team was mostly Hispanic.   They ended up sleeping on the bus, because no hotels would rent them rooms.   That anecdote, more than any other stuck with me, because one of the towns that refused to give them food and a room was close to where I grew up.  The modern GOP does not want that story told in schools anymore.  Not because it isn’t true, but because they aren’t ashamed for being responsible for it, and they’d prefer to do the same thing all over again.  
And I find it particularly, well, humorous isn’t the right word, but we have a 7 page thread on pit bulls in Daily Texan in which people who have had bad experiences with pit bulls and were somewhat traumatized by it freely share their experiences about mean old pit bulls (I don’t disagree with that).

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The modern GOP does not want that story told in schools anymore.  Not because it isn’t true, but because they aren’t ashamed for being responsible for it, and they’d prefer to do the same thing all over again.

Just because this needs to be quoted again, but loudly:

The modern GOP does not want that story told in schools anymore.  Not because it isn’t true, but because they aren’t ashamed for being responsible for it, and they’d prefer to do the same thing all over again.

SL Express, that's where we are.

We SHOULD be embarrassed that our society, in Judge's lifetime, made hispanic high school athletes sleep on the bus because no place would rent them a room.  Again, it wasn't just "one bad/racist guy" who did this -- it was society as a whole.  Nobody in that AREA would rent them a room....and everyone around there damned well knew it, and didn't hold the motel owners accountable at all.  The COMMUNITY was not welcoming to hispanic athletes.  For fuck's sake, again in the lifetime of plenty of people around here, we had proudly declared "sundown towns" - "don't let the sun set on your black ass in Greenville," etc.  Not a person.  TOWNS.

Why can't we just own that?  Why can't we collectively -- all of us, together -- say "Yeah.  That happened.  It was pure shite.  And you have my word, if I have anything to say about it, it will never happen again.  Not on my watch.  My fellow American, I have your back."  Why is that not just impossible, but OFFENSIVE to the white power structure (now embodied in a single political party)?  Because it's not about getting their feelings hurt.  It's about the fact that actually....they are quite okay and happy with all of the advantages that society has given them, and they don't give a rat's ass about who got crushed in the process.  Even further, if continuing to shit on those crushed people is at all helpful in preserving/enhancing the position of those in power, they are ALL FOR IT.

The employee roster at the Houston Country Club used to be all black.  Over the past few decades, it's become nearly all hispanic.  But one thing remains the same: the membership is almost entirely white, and privileged.  And they LIKE having someone "inferior" there to serve them.

13c58f9d-75b8-4ca2-afb9-e9a47f627158_tex

Yet, white society is just AGHAST that when they relentlessly deny that any role or responsibility in the institutional treatment of minorities for -- LITERALLY -- centuries....minorities can sometimes lose their cool....

White society (which still runs the show and calls the shots most places, let's not kid ourselves) is indeed lucky that what minorities are looking for is equality, not revenge.  Society would run out of golf shoes if the case was different.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Lol.  Probably.  Except he's one of the few on my ignore list.

Awesome flex, now your 9th post about how you don't read my posts.  One more and you get that free set of steak knives.  

It could be like a Yogi Berra-ism if you can wordsmith it correctly.  

For the life of me, I can’t remember the guys name, but when I was in college we had a speaker in Texas History.   He was a coach, and he told a story about making the state playoffs and having to travel to Houston from south Texas in the early 1960s.  His team was mostly Hispanic.   They ended up sleeping on the bus, because no hotels would rent them rooms.   That anecdote, more than any other stuck with me, because one of the towns that refused to give them food and a room was close to where I grew up.  The modern GOP does not want that story told in schools anymore.  Not because it isn’t true, but because they aren’t ashamed for being responsible for it, and they’d prefer to do the same thing all over again.  
And I find it particularly, well, humorous isn’t the right word, but we have a 7 page thread on pit bulls in Daily Texan in which people who have had bad experiences with pit bulls and were somewhat traumatized by it freely share their experiences about mean old pit bulls (I don’t disagree with that).

Imagine the shit Abner Haynes and Leon King had to put up with. Interesting that a College in Denton, Tx was a leader in desegregation of college football in the South.

DENTON – Ten years before Jerry LeVias and John Westbrook made history in the Southwest Conference and a half-dozen years before a Maryland player broke the Old South’s color line, a cab pulled up at Fouts Field, home of North Texas State’s football team. Two Black Dallas teenagers got out, more than a little afraid of what to expect as three white men approached.

One stuck out his hand.

“Welcome to the team,” he said.

On a glorious Saturday afternoon 66 years later, North Texas officials celebrated that handshake with the dedication of Unity Plaza, commemorating the courage of Abner Haynes, Leon King, a football team and a university.

And courage it was, because the same month Haynes and King enrolled at UNT, a white mob in Mansfield, an hour south, hung an effigy of a Black male from a flagpole at the local high school with an inscription:

This Negro tried to enter a white school. This would be a terrible way to die.

Back in the heyday of Jim Crow, a federal desegregation order offered little in the way of security or comfort for anyone in Texas or the South in general thinking of crossing the color line. Under the cloak of a so-called “gentlemen’s agreement,” assuring complicity in maintaining a lily-white Southwest Conference, the state’s most prominent athletic programs didn’t dare buck a racist system in the ‘50s.

What made UNT different?

“That’s the question everybody’s always asked,” Haynes, 85, said Saturday. " ‘How do you think those guys did that? How did they get away with it?’

“That’s a question they’ll be asking a hundred years from now.”

King, Haynes’ old Lincoln High teammate, credited J.C. Matthews, UNT’s president from 1951-68, who saw change coming and embraced it.

“And I don’t know of a single incident that came because of it,” said King, who went on to a long career as a Dallas ISD educator.

“If anyone ever needed a blueprint of how to integrate a school, they had to get it from North Texas.”

Only it wasn’t quite as smooth as all that. As Jeff Miller writes in his fine book, “The Game Changers,” one of Haynes’ new teammates confronted him after their first practice together and asked why Haynes and King didn’t just go to one of the colleges intended for Black students and leave whites to theirs. Even after Odus Mitchell, UNT’s coach, asked his veterans to welcome the newcomers, a handful chafed. At least a couple were certain Haynes and King wouldn’t play.

But any lingering resentment dissipated after the freshman team got off the bus in Corsicana for a meal in the fall of ‘56 before a game against Navarro Junior College.

A diner employee told the team that Blacks couldn’t eat in the main dining room, at which point three of the white players – Charlie Cole, George Herring and Joe Mack Pryor – led the team out.

The hospitality was no better at the stadium. An attendant asked Ken Bahnsen, the freshmen coach, if he really planned to use the Black players.

Told he would, indeed, the attendant replied, “Well, they might die.”

In the game that followed -- a 39-21 UNT victory, with Haynes scoring four touchdowns and King catching two passes – a bond was formed…”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/unt-mean-green/2022/11/07/north-texas-commemorates-most-important-legacy-of-mean-green-football-with-unity-plaza/
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

In the early 70s, we were pushing a national ethos of “the great American melting pot” - I mean, it was literally one of the Schoolhouse Rock bits.

That was a good one. They should still be running those. I’ll bet American kids today can’t even recite the preamble to the Constitution by heart.

D916EAEC-E10D-4326-AE58-ED651922DE3F.thumb.jpeg.b913bc54756f79aae6a9df88813fdf2a.jpeg

On a more serious note, it's interesting how many people have thrown their careers away in a very public manner over the last 5-6 years, whether it was over racism like Adams, or COVID stuff, or just bullshit conspiracy stuff in general such as "stolen elections".   We've seen journalists like Lara Logan, Sharyl Attkinson, etc. just toss their careers/respectability away.  Or they've done dumbass stuff in general like Joe Rogan, Elon Musk, etc. that didn't necessarily hurt their careers, but it's changed a lot of peoples' perceptions of them.

You might expect it out of politicians like Lindsey Graham, etc., to throw their respectability away by supporting Trump in the way in which they did (I don't feel like Ted Cruz had that kind of respectability before Trump), but it's fascinating how a lot of other people just went all boomer (even if they weren't boomers) or whatever or forgot that they were in the public eye and just said "fuck it, bartender keep the tab open and watch this!"

Gotta hand it to Trump, he's caused a bunch of famous/semi-famous people to just completely shit their pants in a public manner.

As they used to also say in the 1970's, follow the money. 

Those people realized something profound, albeit new to American society.  

You can finally be your ugly inner-self out loud and proud.  And when they shitcan you from your high-paying job, you can make even more money touring the nation and online and on TV complaining about how unfairly you were treated/canceled.  And a whole new paying audience and world of opportunities will open themselves to you.  And you get to be yourself to boot, no network benefits package can match that.  

That's why you're seeing so many people "throwing their careers away in a very public manner over the last 5-6 years"  

Although Adams is a curious one, because no way he can duplicate syndication money lost from all those papers.  Spends years making tens of millions off them, claims they are woke libtards, announces whites and blacks should stay away from each other, acts surprised when woke libtards pull his cartoons.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On a more serious note, it's interesting how many people have thrown their careers away in a very public manner over the last 5-6 years, whether it was over racism like Adams, or COVID stuff, or just bullshit conspiracy stuff in general such as "stolen elections".   

Or Woody Harrelson deciding to argue COVID conspiracies live on SNL. I don't see it ending his career but I guarantee that move cost him money. His job is to attract eyeballs to the screen, and if a certain percentage say F this guy, he will get paid less.

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Although Adams is a curious one, because no way he can duplicate syndication money lost from all those papers.  Spends years making tens of millions off them, claims they are woke libtards, announces whites and blacks should stay away from each other, acts surprised when woke libtards pull his cartoons.  

His seems to stem more from what was (I think posted in the Elon thread?) related to his GF/Wife leaving/rejecting him. One can be a total asshole, a dick, a dirtbag, and so on (and even halfway be self-aware about it), but when one wasn't in charge of making that decision it can sometimes trigger all sorts of behaviors and rationalizations. Especially for men.

So, TL/DR--she broke him.

I've been dumped.  We've all been dumped.  Thankfully my wife is still with my sorry ass after 20+ years together.  I would certainly say/do some stupid shit if she left me....but pretty far down the list would be this conversation:

Her, "I'm leaving you.  You suck."  

Me, "Fine, just leave my Tito Puente records here!"

Her, "He sucks too, bye!" 

Me (running to my laptop camera to tell my millions of followers), "And another thing about these fucking Africans on my soil!"  

• Like 1

In listening/watching Scott Adams, he's always come across as Dilbert to me. It's not hard to recognize Adams insecurity in life. But hey he made more money on that insecurity by channeling himself into Dilbert. He earns more money than I will ever see. His words and speech pattern appear to have been honed from dating/pickup coaches that he presumably have hired over the years.  And even though he's accomplished and wealthy, a mature & confident woman would reject him.

For some reason he decided to hitch his wagon to the Trump engine in 2016 and now he has an incel-like following that look to him as their alpha god.

• Like 1

is there a term for people who become incels after getting dumped?

anyways, as a white dad with a white daughter it's my job to help her understand that she has a responsibility related to the historical injustices that continue to benefit her and harm others, but that is not the same thing as bearing the blame for those injustices and she does not need to feel defensive when discussing or recognizing those problems. It's understandable for children to get fucked up and feel like because they are white and it was white people who were responsible then they must defend team white. Or for children to feel like if someone suggests that something came easier (even unfairly!) for them than it did for others it is the same as suggesting that they are bad and haven't earned anything. It is sad and pathetic for adults who remain stuck in that simple trap. Grow up and quit crying about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In listening/watching Scott Adams, he's always come across as Dilbert to me. It's not hard to recognize Adams insecurity in life. But hey he made more money on that insecurity by channeling himself into Dilbert. He earns more money than I will ever see. His words and speech pattern appear to have been honed from dating/pickup coaches that he presumably have hired over the years.  And even though he's accomplished and wealthy, a mature & confident woman would reject him.

For some reason he decided to hitch his wagon to the Trump engine in 2016 and now he has an incel-like following that look to him as their alpha god.

It's true he has mentioned that taking Dale Carnegie courses changed his life, but in addition to the traits you mention, the dedication he applied to transition into a career as a cartoonist has this quality of inflexibility that bleeds into other areas of his life?

I didn't realize that his distributor decided to drop him across the board: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/media/dilbert-distributor-scott-adams/index.html  I thought it had been limited to individual papers but I assume the distributor waited to discuss it this morning.

And most likely all of these actions will lead Adams to move even further into his echo chamber that he and other white people are victims.

On a side note, who even reads newspaper cartoons any more? I can't imagine many children do, and I assume the papers only continue the practice since it allows them to check the box in terms of history. 

56 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's true he has mentioned that taking Dale Carnegie courses changed his life, but in addition to the traits you mention, the dedication he applied to transition into a career as a cartoonist has this quality of inflexibility that bleeds into other areas of his life?

I'm unsure what you're asking or commenting.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

https://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/07/hypnosis.html

When I was a kid, my family doctor was a hypnotist. He hypnotized my mom before she gave birth to my little sister. Mom reports that she felt no discomfort during the birth, despite being awake and having no drugs. That story had a big impact on me.

When I was in my early twenties, I enrolled in the Pierre Clement School of Hypnosis in San Francisco. I thought I could earn some extra money hypnotizing people. And I figured maybe it could help with dating. I wasn’t getting too far on my charm alone.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

They also probably don't know the function of a conjunction.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Or that verbs are what’s happening. Or how to unpack their adjectives. 

Interjections (Hey!) show excitement (Yow!) or emotion (Ouch!).
They're generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point,
Or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm unsure what you're asking or commenting.

I phrased that quite poorly so no surprise it was confusing. What I was attempting to say: based on your comments regarding insecurity, word and speech patterns along with his interest in Dale Carnegie coursework and hypnosis (thanks @chainsaw!) Adams has this contradiction between seeming like a person interested in self-improvement who is also inflexible in his worldview of others and their abilities/capabilities. Most folks don't want to date someone like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

anyways, as a white dad with a white daughter it's my job to help her understand that she has a responsibility related to the historical injustices that continue to benefit her and harm others, but that is not the same thing as bearing the blame for those injustices and she does not need to feel defensive when discussing or recognizing those problems. It's understandable for children to get fucked up and feel like because they are white and it was white people who were responsible then they must defend team white. Or for children to feel like if someone suggests that something came easier (even unfairly!) for them than it did for others it is the same as suggesting that they are bad and haven't earned anything. It is sad and pathetic for adults who remain stuck in that simple trap. Grow up and quit crying about it.

Your post reminds me of this, which my white daughter introduced and played for me the other day: 

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

On a more serious note, it's interesting how many people have thrown their careers away in a very public manner over the last 5-6 years, whether it was over racism like Adams, or COVID stuff, or just bullshit conspiracy stuff in general such as "stolen elections".   We've seen journalists like Lara Logan, Sharyl Attkinson, etc. just toss their careers/respectability away.  Or they've done dumbass stuff in general like Joe Rogan, Elon Musk, etc. that didn't necessarily hurt their careers, but it's changed a lot of peoples' perceptions of them.

You might expect it out of politicians like Lindsey Graham, etc., to throw their respectability away by supporting Trump in the way in which they did (I don't feel like Ted Cruz had that kind of respectability before Trump), but it's fascinating how a lot of other people just went all boomer (even if they weren't boomers) or whatever or forgot that they were in the public eye and just said "fuck it, bartender keep the tab open and watch this!"

Gotta hand it to Trump, he's caused a bunch of famous/semi-famous people to just completely shit their pants in a public manner.

One wonders if these out and proud expressions of racism could be the first serious attempt for us to deal with what can no longer be denied. The answer depends largely upon our willingness to honestly grapple with the pervasiveness of our national sin.

Billionaires apparently believe themselves to be impervious to the slings and arrows that come from being racist:

Reuters) - Billionaire Elon Musk on Sunday accused the media of being racist against whites and Asians after U.S. newspapers dropped a white comic strip author who made derogatory comments about Black Americans.

The Los Angeles Times, the Washington Post and USA Today were among newspapers that canceled the cartoon "Dilbert" after its creator Scott Adams said Black Americans were a hate group and posted racist comments on his YouTube channel on Wednesday.

In replies to tweets about the controversy, the Tesla and Twitter chief executive said the media had long been racist against non-white people but are now "racist against whites & Asians."

"Maybe they can try not being racist," Musk tweeted.

In response to an account that said white victims of police violence get a fraction of media coverage compared to Black victims, Musk said the coverage is "Very disproportionate to promote a false narrative."

Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Musk's views on social issues have been increasingly under the microscope since he took over Twitter in October.

He has sparred with civil rights groups over Twitter's level of protection against hateful content and the reinstatement of some accounts that previously had been suspended. Some advertisers have left the platform over concerns about brand safety, and Twitter has rolled out some new controls for ad placement.

Musk's latest tweets come after the Dilbert creator suggested white Americans "get the hell away from Black people". Adams, the cartoonist, was responding to a poll by the conservative Rasmussen Reports that said 26% of Black respondents said they disagreed with the statement "It's OK to be white."

The move to drop the cartoon was "not a difficult decision", the Plain Dealer newspaper in Ohio told its readers on Friday.

I’ll say it again, the power a billionaire wields can easily become a threat to national security. Which we have seen over the past decade, as Thiel, et al, have fostered a credible quest for a one party, monarchical rule.

If corporations are people, and can also  be financially restructured into smaller entities, to promote competition and strengthen our economy, we can, and ought, break up such vast concentrations of wealth held by individual families.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

One wonders if these out and proud expressions of racism could be the first serious attempt for us to deal with what can no longer be denied. The answer depends largely upon our willingness to honestly grapple with the pervasiveness of our national sin.

Could be - they've obviously always been around and these notions they throw out into the public arena are not something that developed overnight.  Trump didn't create them, but he and his followers, and his lack of action in calling out certain of his followers, certainly emboldened them.  And because it's the 2020s, they all have a platform with a large reach, that also functions as an echo chamber for them.

50 minutes ago, Satchel said:

In replies to tweets about the controversy, the Tesla and Twitter chief executive said the media had long been racist against non-white people but are now "racist against whites & Asians."

"Maybe they can try not being racist," Musk tweeted.

Musk is very close getting out over his skiis and going full-on South African raised under Apartheid, and he's very close to causing a lot of organizations to fully bail on twitter.  I doubt he knows it though, because catturd2 and his "your meme game is strong" employees are all liking his posts and telling him how awesome he is.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

When I was a kid, my family doctor was a hypnotist. He hypnotized my mom before she gave birth to my little sister. Mom reports that she felt no discomfort during the birth, despite being awake and having no drugs. That story had a big impact on me.

When I was in my early twenties, I enrolled in the Pierre Clement School of Hypnosis in San Francisco. I thought I could earn some extra money hypnotizing people. And I figured maybe it could help with dating. I wasn’t getting too far on my charm alone.

I'm not sure what is a worse red flag about a guy. That he took hypnotism classes to help with his lack of success with women, or that he feels it's no big deal to mention it in random interviews. One is creepy and the other shows a lack of awareness. Just imagine what he must say in private especially given his recent racist statements.

not to mention that I call BS that his mom's OB hypnotized her during labor and she felt no discomfort. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not sure what is a worse red flag about a guy. That he took hypnotism classes to help with his lack of success with women, or that he feels it's no big deal to mention it in random interviews.

I mean...SO much this.  The definition of hypnosis:

hyp·no·sis

/hipˈnōsəs/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the induction of a state of consciousness in which a person apparently loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction. 

In other words, if it is actually hypnosis in the defined sense of the word, and it works, the person you hypnotized is not acting voluntarily.  

"Hey babe, wanna bang?"

Non-hypnotized woman: "Sure, I've done uglier."  = VOLUNTARY sex, and perfectly okay.

"Hey babe, bang me."

Hypnotized woman, acting as a result of hypnosis: "Yes, I will bang you."  = INVOLUNTARY sex, which is goddamned rape.

What a sick, pathetic fuck.  Scott Adams should be punched into the dick until he can no longer whack it to pics of Melania Trump.

And, that's setting aside the fact that he's a racist POS.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've sure it's posted earlier but here are Adams' comments

“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with White people – according to this poll, not according to me, according to th is poll – that’s a hate group,” Adams said Wednesday on his YouTube show “Real Coffee with Scott Adams.”

“I don’t want to have anything to do with them,” Adams added. “And I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to White people is to get the hell away from Black people, just get the f**k away … because there is no fixing this.”

I don't know anything about a poll Adams is referencing but even giving him the benefit of the doubt that a legit poll exists with these results, wouldn't a successful person want to understand the root causes of why a large segment of our population feels so discounted? Instead he just takes it personally and says f-you if you hate me.

Adams has (had) a platform and audience that most of us could never dream of. He could easily bring on guests and hold rational conversations about problems and solutions, even if Adams disagrees with them.  It's a shame that he has such hatred inside.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dilbert's book agent bailed on him as well.  That's huge - Adams was at that point in his career where he was coasting, and that was a lot of easy money for his agent to give up.

Don’t worry. I’m sure Scott can write the next script for a Gina Carano slumpbuster 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've sure it's posted earlier but here are Adams' comments

I don't know anything about a poll Adams is referencing but even giving him the benefit of the doubt that a legit poll exists with these results, wouldn't a successful person want to understand the root causes of why a large segment of our population feels so discounted? Instead he just takes it personally and says f-you if you hate me.

Adams has (had) a platform and audience that most of us could never dream of. He could easily bring on guests and hold rational conversations about problems and solutions, even if Adams disagrees with them.  It's a shame that he has such hatred inside.

If someone told me there was a NPR poll that said 50% of blacks are not okay with whites, I would ask, why only half? Because I have a fucking brain and realize that maybe, just MAYBE, that 200 years of slavery, not to mention rape, followed by another 100 years of exclusion, abuse, murder, and more rape, only to be given “equal” rights that turns out aren’t so fucking equal when you can’t buy a home in a white neighborhood, or books about you get banned in 2022, that MAYBE they have good fucking reason to be not OK with whites. I’m white and I fucking hate a good portion of them. Guess, what, it has to do with them being racist, stupid pieces of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

If someone told me there was a NPR poll that said 50% of blacks are not okay with whites, I would ask, why only half? Because I have a fucking brain and realize that maybe, just MAYBE, that 200 years of slavery, not to mention rape, followed by another 100 years of exclusion, abuse, murder, and more rape, only to be given “equal” rights that turns out aren’t so fucking equal when you can’t buy a home in a white neighborhood, or books about you get banned in 2022, that MAYBE they have good fucking reason to be not OK with whites. I’m white and I fucking hate a good portion of them. Guess, what, it has to do with them being racist, stupid pieces of shit. 

There is a certain percent (not small) of white Americans that think African-Americans should STFU about past injustices. "Everything is equal, why do they have to bring up that old crap that I had nothing to do with it."

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure really where to post this but came across this link for a Yakamein recipe. It's a product of Chinese immigrants working alongside African Americans on plantations and railroads in New Orleans. 

A. I've never heard of this before!

B. I need to make this.

C. We need more mixing of people and culture for all the delicious delicious food. 

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know anything about a poll Adams is referencing but even giving him the benefit of the doubt that a legit poll exists with these results....

It was a poll written up in Rasmussen Reports and was discussed in the Elon Musk thread because those two dipwads intersect and amplify each other in too many ways. Maybe a page or two back. It was a dog whistle poll.

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It was a poll written up in Rasmussen Reports and was discussed in the Elon Musk thread because those two dipwads intersect and amplify each other in too many ways. Maybe a page or two back. It was a dog whistle poll.

I haven't seen that survey but as someone who writes them... a question like that would need some context setting. Ethically I hope Rasmussen did that.