2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

6 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Disgusting.

Sickening. As in, a plague. 

And, the fact remains, one of our political parties refuses to clearly separate itself from this trash. As well as from the Nazi trash that, emboldened, is pushing itself further into view in the public eye.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

you vote for the same people

Yeah, but only so they can both support elected officials who wish to enable this kind of behavior through policy and communication.  Otherwise, there's no overlap or cause for concern.  You guys don't share all of my worst qualities because we all support the Texas Longhorns, do you?  (checks notes, Texas Longhorns do not set public policy regarding race-based issues).  Dammit!  

I don't like lumping people together for negative purposes because of one or two attributes.  But who you vote for is kind of important when it comes to what you say you do and do not support politically, civically, etc.  Not saying it makes you a racist, or a bad person, or whatever.  But it certainly does call into question your judgement of other people.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, but only so they can both support elected officials who wish to enable this kind of behavior through policy and communication.  Otherwise, there's no overlap or cause for concern.  You guys don't share all of my worst qualities because we all support the Texas Longhorns, do you?  (checks notes, Texas Longhorns do not set public policy regarding race-based issues).  Dammit!  

I don't like lumping people together for negative purposes because of one or two attributes.  But who you vote for is kind of important when it comes to what you say you do and do not support politically, civically, etc.  Not saying it makes you a racist, or a bad person, or whatever.  But it certainly does call into question your judgement of other people.  

That might have been true when the right wing at least played by the rules of general civility. The second that fat orange fuck got 70 million votes saying the quiet parts out loud, it changed every dynamic. I don't care if you liked his tax cuts, the rest of the despicable shit he did and said out loud far overwhelms anything resembling policy, of which he also had zero. And you can't pretend its just him, or say that "well I don't really agree with his style, but..." He is the leader of the republican party, still today. He got 70 million fucking votes from republicans. He is today's republican party.  You can't just disagree with some of the platform when the bad parts are overt racism, hatred, and cruel to anyone who doesn't resemble a 1950's TV commercial. Just look at the shit he's saying today. That's your guy republicans, and refusing to vote against him makes you complicit.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Satchel said:

Am I right in assuming this kind of in your face racism is being mainstreamed because Trump has given it a platform?

It's mainstreamed because Trump and the GOP are not absolutely trashing the hell out of them for being inbred pieces of shit and going on Fox News and telling Tucker to fuck off with the fucking replacement theory bullshit.  Instead, they tiptoe around because they don't want these asswipes to be offended.

We don't even know if these morons vote in large numbers, but the GOP leadership sure as hell acts like the Proud Boys, IIIers, etc. all should be treated with some kind of respect that they have not earned.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:22 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Maybe I should rename this thread "2023 thread of racism and misogyny in America." 

It's going to really kick into high gear sometime in the near future.

The new Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid show that Amazon Prime is putting together now has showrunners and is headed towards production..

Here's the Butch and Sundance actors:

6cf801c85ee16a750e6ebb9cc05519aa.jpg

I actually think this is fucking stupid since it's supposed to be based on the Newman/Redford movie and we are talking about historical figures that we know a lot about, but I'm loving the idea of the MAGA meltdown over it.

Edit: And there should be nothing based on the Newman/Redford movie, it was perfection.

Edited by atomheartbevo

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's going to really kick into high gear sometime in the near future.

The new Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid show that Amazon Prime is putting together now has showrunners and is headed towards production..

Here's the Butch and Sundance actors:

6cf801c85ee16a750e6ebb9cc05519aa.jpg

I actually think this is fucking stupid since it's supposed to be based on the Newman/Redford movie and we are talking about historical figures that we know a lot about, but I'm loving the idea of the MAGA meltdown over it.

Edit: And there should be nothing based on the Newman/Redford movie, it was perfection.

I'd watch those two in anything, so in.

55 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They could’ve left the bicycle scene on the cutting room floor and I don’t think it would’ve hurt anything. 

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

On a side note, if any of y'all want to go down a rabbit hole, everybody always talks about Butch and Sundance may not have been killed, and disappeared and resurfaced in America or Europe and lived out there lives, but while they probably died in South America, Sundance's girlfrield, Etta Place, pulled a disappearing act herself, and she was known to be alive after they were killed.

https://www.criminalelement.com/the-mysterious-disappearance-of-etta-place/

Edited by atomheartbevo

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They could’ve left the bicycle scene on the cutting room floor and I don’t think it would’ve hurt anything. 

Agreed for art. The song made serious money, though, and won an Oscar.

“(Raindrops) hit hugely and sold about 200,000 to 300,000 records a day [and continued selling] for about three years.”

• Like 1

This belongs here:

“Texas Republicans propose creation of vigilante group to hunt migrants at the border pthat will have immunity from prosecutionTexas Republicans propose creation of vigilante group to hunt migrants at the border that will have immunity from prosecution

The bill — House Bill 20 — would allow Texas' Department of Public Safety to hunt, arrest, and deport undocumented migrants. 

The group would be comprised of law enforcement officers and civilians under the direction of a governor-selected chief. The members of the group would also be extended immunity from criminal prosecution relating to their actions on the border. They will be directed to "arrest, detain, and deter individuals crossing the border illegally including with the use of non-deadly force."“

A piece of companion legislation would make undocumented entry into Texas a state crime, with first-time offenders subject to a year in prison, two years in prison for second-time offenders, and life in prison for individuals with prior felony convictions.

Democrats in Texas are opposed to the bill, likening the legislation to a "vigilante death squads policy."

“This dangerous, radical, and unconstitutional proposal which empowers border vigilantes to hunt migrants and racially profile Latinos is going to result in the death of innocent people,” Victoria Neave Criado, the Democratic chair of Mexican American Legislative Caucus, said in a statement last week. “MALC is going to do everything in our power to kill this legislation just as Latino State Representatives for the past 5 decades have fought against Klan-like proposals.”

Mr Phelan anticipated the opposition, and claimed he was prepared to take the matter to the conservative-majority Supreme Court if Democrats challenge the law. 

This isn't the first time the state has tried to create a border protection force beyond the federal US Customs and Border Protection agency. In 2021 Republican Governor Greg Abbott initiated "Operation Lone Star" that placed National Guard troops at the border. However, the $4bn endeavor was met with numerous controversies, including the deaths of several National Guard members, some to suicide, and allegations of human rights violations that resulted in a Justice Department investigation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/texas-repulican-vigilante-group-migrants-b2307632.html?utm_source=reddit.com

I have a question about the bolded sentence fragment. Is this the same immunity police already enjoy, or is this a trial balloon for the sort of immunity that would protect psychos who kneel on necks?

• Rage+1 2

43 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I have a question about the bolded sentence fragment. Is this the same immunity police already enjoy, or is this a trial balloon for the sort of immunity that would protect psychos who kneel on necks?

I'm sure there won't be any Republicans heading down to the border to hunt brown people.

Happy Don Rickles GIF

• Rage+1 1

Was Sunday some sort of racist holiday? The confederate flags were out in full force for my Deep South Sunday drive. I saw a desecraty US/Confederate hybrid. One confederate flag had lettering on it and appeared to say “Keep It White,” but I couldn’t quite make out the last word when passing down the highway.

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention - if half of what has been said about the new series is true we will look back fondly on the bicycle scene in the movie (I know it's meant to be the elegy scene of the movie).  One take is that it will just be taking the film and making it into a TV series, which is exactly what Hollywood would do.  Another is as some kind of prequel and lead up through the events of the movie, and they can make it "interesting" and have them cross paths with "famous" people of the day and participate in famous events, which is what really pissed me off - like I said, these are historical figures and we know their backgrounds fairly well.  Trying to stick them in situations they weren't in will just make a lot of people cringe (or lead to a bunch of people believing that stuff actually happened), plus their actual backgrounds are interesting as hell and haven't really been explored on film. Another studio exec said a while back that they could take the 1969 movie and then do a "what if they actually survived" and have them turning up anonymously in various places and doing stuff in their travels.  The whole thing felt like it was going to be something Disney would do.  Hopefully the Russo brothers will do something interesting with it.

On a side note, but I did not realize there was a prequel made in the 70s with Tom Berenger as Butch and William Katt (Greatest American Hero) as Sundance. I kind of want to look this up and watch it, but I feel like the fact that I've never heard about it till now should set off alarm bells.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:40 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'd watch those two in anything, so in.

That's the thing.  These guys could carry a well-made series on their own without trying to directly tie it to an awesome movie, but they are acting like these guys couldn't do that and have to tie them to something already famous.  Hell on Wheels didn't have a famous cast outside of Chief O'Brien, and did just fine.  If you're going to have Regé-Jean Page in a western, have him bang his way through various brothels across the Old West or something.  Remake a TV series from the 60s.  Like Wild Wild West (forget the Will Smith film).  That shit was a sci-fi Western and spy show, and could be amazing today.

Anyways, I digress, no matter what, it'll be hilarious when the racists hear about this project.

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

To get back to the thread, this is the kind of shit that has been proliferating across twitter since Elon made it free speech (except speech he doesn't like).

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

The fact that shit like this is allowed free reign on Twitter while I get restricted for responding that I see the Republican Party as "Dead and Gone" in 5 years tells you exactly what you need to know about Elon's Twitter and free speech.  It's only free if he agrees with it.  What a fucking fascist loving snowflake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The fact that shit like this is allowed free reign on Twitter while I get restricted for responding that I see the Republican Party as "Dead and Gone" in 5 years tells you exactly what you need to know about Elon's Twitter and free speech.  It's only free if he agrees with it.  What a fucking fascist loving snowflake.

And that's just me stumbling across somebody who had piqued my curiosity with their hot take on Ukraine and looking at their tweets/retweets and seeing a bunch of this stuff, and looking at 15-20 of these accounts. Somebody who properly data-mined these accounts and all of the related accounts would probably see a lot of what I saw.

There are a shitload of these accounts pushing that shit, all have American-English spellings (but pretend to be European). Any that mentioned anything about Russia did so positively.  I did a small dive into some of those accounts, and some popped up in August/September (and a few earlier), but they didn't start pushing the white supremacist shit until after Elon was in charge, like they were following what Elon was saying pre-October and knew he'd allow their shit so they got ready.  Many/most seemed to have popped up in November-January.

Oh, and a whole shitload of them loved posting pictures of large white families and boasting about things like "this is how you do it - these wonderful people have 5 proud white daughters and 3 proud white sons" and "they can't replace you if have more white kids" etc. 

And some of them...it's not a matter of "this is what white people do" and "I'm proud of being white" (which we all know what they are angling for but they could claim that they weren't saying anything negative about other races/ethnic groups) but they instead taking some very negative videos of black people and pushing them as "this is what comes out of Africa" type of bullshit.

None of these would be openly allowed on other social media platforms, and advertisers would not want to be around these.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Mole said:

Was Sunday some sort of racist holiday? The confederate flags were out in full force for my Deep South Sunday drive. I saw a desecraty US/Confederate hybrid. One confederate flag had lettering on it and appeared to say “Keep It White,” but I couldn’t quite make out the last word when passing down the highway.

Putin was first elected President of Russia on March 26th, back in 2000.

• Rage+1 1

Good lord ... I don't even know where this goes, but being that they are white supremacists, I guess it goes here.

White Supremacist MAGA network busted with enough fentanyl to kill over a million people. Plus over 200 firearms, 230 pounds of meth, 5 kilos of heroin, 2 kilos of cocaine, and over $700,000 in cash. Members of the “Aryan Family.” 

On a scale of 1-10, how surprised are you that this wasn't immigrants?

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article273577170.html

Racism claims of 2023. What do you guys think? Apparently Jill Biden is being accused of a racist act (by Newsweek) for tweeting an idea about inviting Iowa along with LSU women's teams to the WH. I don't think it was intentionally racist as much as it was maybe a bit tone deaf: https://www.newsweek.com/jill-biden-just-had-another-racist-moment-opinion-1792521

But this is not the first racist moment that Dr. Biden has had. In 2022, she cited bodegas and breakfast tacos as praise for Hispanic diversity, drawing widespread condemnation from the Hispanic community.

So this isn't new behavior. But it's bigger than just a latte liberal having moments of racism cloaked in white paternalism.

This would break with tradition; only the champions ever get invited to the White House. It seemed like a sloppy, peace-treaty attempt to break the tension of a national conversation that broke out over how the media covered LSU's win, particularly the "You can't see me" taunt used by Angel Reese that was identical to one that her Iowa opponent Caitlyn Clark used earlier in the NCAA tournament. While Clark got praise, Reese was slammed by some sports analysts, like ESPN's Keith Olbermann, who went so far as to call her an "idiot" for being disrespectful.

LSU's team is predominantly Black; Iowa is mostly white.

However good-natured Biden's gesture might have been in its intent, it was not welcomed by Reese, who mocked the double invite on Twitter and was backed up by others, including Stephen A. Smith.

https://www.levelman.com/lsu-white-house-visit-double-standard/

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

If this fucker choked a child for the reason reported, he should be locked up for a long, long time.

6 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Good lord ... I don't even know where this goes, but being that they are white supremacists, I guess it goes here.

White Supremacist MAGA network busted with enough fentanyl to kill over a million people. Plus over 200 firearms, 230 pounds of meth, 5 kilos of heroin, 2 kilos of cocaine, and over $700,000 in cash. Members of the “Aryan Family.” 

On a scale of 1-10, how surprised are you that this wasn't immigrants?

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article273577170.html

What’s the opposite of surprised? Maybe someday folks will know how much fentanyl money underwrote the New Right’s attempt to seize absolute control.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jill Biden deserves the criticism. Whether it's from unconscious biases or misguided good intentions... but what she did was not right. But of course our resident agitator didn't really offers that article as some sort of meaningful contribution to this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Did not know this, but Roger's father just passed away last year.  Maybe that explains his shitty attitude.  Also, through our core banking processor, Fiserv, found Roger's banking relationship in New Jersey.  Tomorrow morning, they will be sent an anonymous notice that they are banking a man involved in an organized white supremacist group.  And then his children will have to explain their father's behavior at school. 

• Like 1

Missouri doing a top-rope flex on Florida and Texas as of late.  

In totally unrelated news, Judy Kline has had an IRS investigation opened up on her financial background.  She hasn't done anything wrong with regard to finances, but the mere appearance of the investigation, in addition to her arrest, will raise numerous red flags with her bank, church, and husband's employer.  She is also about to develop a prescription drug addiction.  Thoughts and prayers. 

Imagine typing that word so many times on your laptop/email server that it just automatically capitalizes it for you because it assumes you meant it as a nationality/ethnicity that you use weekly?  

Also Judy Kline has been reported to local authorities for trafficking fentanyl.  I'm not proud of it, but just felt like having the police visit her house again.

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I only watched half the ring vid, but I’m guessing mental illness.  Maybe just racism, but dollars to donuts she’s got something serious going on up top. Could be a mix of both, I suppose. 

That's true of about 95% of racist ranters and Karens.  They're crazy as shithouse rats, racist or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's true of about 95% of racist ranters and Karens.  They're crazy as shithouse rats, racist or not.

True, and doesn’t excuse the behavior. Just odd with the repeat visits and being hung up on their ability to afford some house that lines a busy street.  Who knows. 

I'm no clinician, but politics aside-if you think about it---this kinda racism is a mental illness in an of itself even with no other outbursts/symptoms.  She had to walk past that home several times and consternate about how those brown people got the house, how they got to this country, what they do for money, what they had to do with 9/11, etc.  That means your brain ain't working right.  Racism in most of its forms, is a mental illness because we're not biologically hardwired to just sit around and project shit onto groups of people we don't even know to blame for our ills in life.  The literal foundation of civilization, or society, is that you take care of your blood and you cooperate with those around you.  To machinate over people you don't know and plot their demise is an outlier.  It's mentally unhealthy and takes a toll on your body.  

However, if you can tap into that part of the brain of the stupid, you can be President of the United States.  

• Hook 'Em 1