Airborne toxic event

Zeus

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Yeah fuck the EPA in this incidence too. And also what the hell Pete. Totally failing on the job recently as secretary of transportation. 

10 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I don’t care much for the guy. Not because I know anything about him but more so because he’s a politician and I have a general dislike for the majority of those people, but what in your opinion could he or should he have done here that he has not?

Seems the statement was aimed at his overall failure in response and action to the number of transportation issues we've faced from airlines to roads to this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

Just another potential environmental disaster largely to be ignored by the media... Meanwhile, WE MUST STOP GLACIERS FROM MELTING!!!

This fire started at 2 am last night. The fact that it's not getting wall-to-wall coverage by our corporate media is truly a sad indictment.

I guess we should go ahead and make this thread a repository for the combustion of all the fucked up, toxic substances our oil & gas and petrochemical industries make, while also acknowledging they are the lead cause of climate change and melting glaciers.

Most importantly, let's put our federal government on trial for not stopping the continued production of such polluting products.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

This fire started at 2 am last night. The fact that it's not getting wall-to-wall coverage by our corporate media is truly a sad indictment.

Tongue in cheek response(kinda sorta)... There is an amusement park complex nearby whose parent company happens to own one of them thar corporate media outlets.  

I guess we should go ahead and make this thread a repository for the combustion of all the fucked up, toxic substances our oil & gas and petrochemical industries make, while also acknowledging they are the lead cause of climate change and melting glaciers.
Most importantly, let's put our federal government on trial for not stopping the continued production of such polluting products.

It’s a fire, dude. Poly America had two separate production facilities go up in smoke within weeks of each other and you nor anyone else here had anything to say about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s a fire, dude. Poly America had two separate production facilities go up in smoke within weeks of each other and you nor anyone else here had anything to say about it.

Might wanna get the oil in your sarcasm meter changed.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Might wanna get the oil in your sarcasm meter changed.

Maybe I should have parsed your post and left the first couple sentences as that is what I was referring to. Making statements like that about a disaster like what this thread originated about is understandable, but the feigned outrage at something that happens everyday is silly at best. Unless that too was sarcasm, if so then I’ve got nothing

Maybe I should have parsed your post and left the first couple sentences as that is what I was referring to. Making statements like that about a disaster like what this thread originated about is understandable, but the feigned outrage at something that happens everyday is silly at best. Unless that too was sarcasm, if so then I’ve got nothing

Go back and look at the glaciers portion of what I was also responding to.

25 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Go back and look at the glaciers portion of what I was also responding to.

given some of the nonsense that’s already been posted in this thread, you’ll have to forgive me for not being able to differentiate your sarcasm from what some people in here actually believe to be truth

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it a good assumption that RRs don't have to disclose the types of materials that are carried on each line, or effectively it doesnt matter if they disclose it because they can do whatever they want?

Yes, that and they successfully defeated rules that would have required improved braking systems for trains carrying hazardous cargo based on the some reason of "it would cost too much" back in 2017. Good ol deregulation at work, saving the profits of shareholders at the cost of public health!

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Yes, that and they successfully defeated rules that would have required improved braking systems for trains carrying hazardous cargo based on the some reason of "it would cost too much" back in 2017. Good ol deregulation at work, saving the profits of shareholders at the cost of public health!

That's always the standby answer to any regulation.  If we add a safety regulation to ______, everything you buy will triple in cost and 10,000 people will lose their job. That's unAmerican.

Lobbyists and PR types effectively use a Mad Libs playbook to fill-in talking points of any current crisis.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it a good assumption that RRs don't have to disclose THE TYPES OF MATERIALS THAT ARE CARRIED ON THAT LINE, or effectively it doesnt matter if they disclose it because they can do whatever they want?

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Disclose what? And to whom?

Disclose "the types of materials that are carried on that line"

Who makes companies disclose things? I'm guessing the Federal Government considering most trains fall under the interstate commerce clause. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Who makes companies disclose things? I'm guessing the Federal Government considering most trains fall under the interstate commerce clause. 

I don’t think you or the person asking the question understand what you’re asking. Everything is carried on the rail, just like everything is carried on the highways. The only difference being major metropolitan areas have HC Highway routes, however given the growth of most metropolitan areas those routes these days do not typically lead the HC cargo through any less populated areas than the non-HC routes.

I don’t think you or the person asking the question understand what you’re asking. Everything is carried on the rail, just like everything is carried on the highways. The only difference being major metropolitan areas have HC Highway routes, however given the growth of most metropolitan areas those routes these days do not typically lead the HC cargo through any less populated areas than the non-HC routes.

Do you understand that the Federal Government regulates the railroads? And in doing so, may or may not require the carrier to disclose what contents are being transported on said railways?

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Do we know what caused the original derailment?

NTSB hasn't released their report yet, but local news has footage of one of the cars (that would later explode) with wheels that were glowing hot and throwing sparks about 20 miles before the disaster. The linked reporting says that an NTSB member said that it shows "preliminary indications of mechanical issues on one of the rail car axels", and for some reason there was a delay in the train crew being notified of their "hot box". Nevermind that it's a single person controlling that entire train

Basically, loads of cut corners and cost savings measures caused the derailment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it a good assumption that RRs don't have to disclose the types of materials that are carried on each line, or effectively it doesnt matter if they disclose it because they can do whatever they want?

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Disclose what? And to whom?

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

10 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Do you understand that railroads already do that? And have done it for decades? 

Um GIFs | Tenor

What part of “it is all one rail system, and anything can be going down it at any time” did you not understand? And I’ll ask again, but what product is it you want disclosed? Do you want it disclosed everytime that product moves? Who do you want to be notified of that? Because there are no shit 3 different entities that keep track of all of that shit, all you have to do is ask and they’ll tell you. The trains on the track, with the exception of a key train, are an absolute hodgepodge of anything and everything.

Not to mention that every train car is labeled with what is in the car via painted in stencil that can be seen clearly from over a half mile away (federal and industry standard), what hazard class it is, and how much product is in the car. There’s also this really cool thing called a consist that is with the engineer at all times that tells how many cars are in the train, and it lists them in order from back to front. It has all of the information on the cargo in that car that you could ever need, the MSDS for that cargo, where it came from, where it’s going, and a whole bunch of other trivial details

2 hours ago, Mullet Free said:

Good breakdown of the contents and implications.

That was actually a good, even-handed breakdown.  Pos rep.  

What I don’t understand about this is why, in the age of cheap microelectronics, do we not have hotbox detectors on the cars themselves?  

While the video of the burning bearings is wild, it’s possible it didn’t go by a defect detector during that 20+ mile run before the axle sheered off.  Obviously stuff like dragging equipment and car counting needs to be done via trackside equipment, but hotbox should be relatively easy.  

I’m sure the answer is money

• Like 1