Game #9 P.B. - #10 Texas at #7 KSU, 3pm ESPN2

Js1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Because the team is experienced and talented. It's almost like Beard is really good at roster construction. 

Yeah this is very much a team-led team. You can give Terry credit but I'm giving more credit to the players for deciding they didn't want to lose this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe the most important play of this game was the foul drawn at the end of the first half. 

Rice hitting those 3 FTs to cut the lead from 14 to 11 gave Texas a little bit of life. 

Yeah that 4:11 stretch from right before the half to the U16 was where we made our move; came out of the lockerroom breathing fucking fire. Everyone who stepped on the floor made a contribution today, huge gritty win…

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Feels like they want to win bc it’s their last chance, win for Terry and win to spite Beard for fucking them over. I’ll allow it 

Folks who have not read article in link below, should definitely check it out.

Players quote:  That’s it. It’s always been about us.’’

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, I never thought I would say this, but he has this team exactly where Chris Beard would've.

If we win the conference and go Sweet 16 or better, how do you change anything??

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Because the team is experienced and talented. It's almost like Beard is really good at roster construction. 

Well, yeah, obviously.

But Terry still deserves a lot of credit right now.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, expected a dropoff when we lost Beard.  Christ, people on this very site predicted we'd miss the tournament the first time they saw us struggle under Terry.  It would've been really easy to lose this team under those circumstances.

Well, here we are, in 1st place in February.

And did you see the halftime adjustments just now?

I'm not saying I want to give him a 5-year deal or anything, but the man can coach, the kids are playing hard for him, and the results are coming.  Keeping him has to at least be considered.

• Like 1

Team ground this out, I  hope to God they get to leave that fucking shithole Manhattan, KS and get to a decent hotel back in K.C. before the Big Monday game.  In a state rife with shitholes, Manhattan takes the cake.  I've seen every corner of the sunflower state and that place makes College Station look like Alexandria.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The person who deserves the most credit for how the Horns are playing lately is me. 

I’ve stopped watching games, due to a combination of being convinced I’m bringing bad juju, and depression over Beard getting fired. You’re welcome. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The person who deserves the most credit for how the Horns are playing lately is me. 

I’ve stopped watching games, due to a combination of being convinced I’m bringing bad juju, and depression over Beard getting fired. You’re welcome. 

Dbeasy for next Texas basketball corch. CDC hires him, and makes him sit in the locker room for every game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Well, yeah, obviously.
But Terry still deserves a lot of credit right now.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, expected a dropoff when we lost Beard.  Christ, people on this very site predicted we'd miss the tournament the first time they saw us struggle under Terry.  It would've been really easy to lose this team under those circumstances.
Well, here we are, in 1st place in February.
And did you see the halftime adjustments just now?
I'm not saying I want to give him a 5-year deal or anything, but the man can coach, the kids are playing hard for him, and the results are coming.  Keeping him has to at least be considered.

Said as much in the Rodney Terry thread
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have to say, at the risk of ruffling a lot of feathers around here, this team is no where near as talented as a lot of us pretend they are. What they are is a team that is super experienced with a bunch of high IQ players.  More specifically we're loaded with a core group of players who are supremely aware of what they're good at individually and rarely venture outside of it. But to say they're a super talented group is a leap too far in my opinion. I'd be highly surprised if any of a our upperclassmen spent a single second in the NBA. Just wanted to voice my petty disagreement because I see this claim repeated around here way too often. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Smart, experienced and college-talented. But they aren’t going to be NBA players and that’s okay. We are kind of built like a solid mid-major that relies on execution, IQ and experience. That gets you far in March 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I have to say, at the risk of ruffling a lot of feathers around here, this team is no where near as talented as a lot of us pretend they are. What they are is a team that is super experienced with a bunch of high IQ players.  More specifically we're loaded with a core group of players who are supremely aware of what they're good at individually and rarely venture outside of it. But to say they're a super talented group is a leap too far in my opinion. I'd be highly surprised if any of a our upperclassmen spent a single second in the NBA. Just wanted to voice my petty disagreement because I see this claim repeated around here way too often IMO. 

I see where you are coming from but they're talented for college players. 

Players like Rice, Allen, and Carr will never play in the NBA but they're talented college players. This team definitely has top 25 talent which is maximized by the fact they're also really experienced. 

• Hook 'Em 2

MItchell really impressed me with his play today. He made a couple of high IQ plays and passes on the offensive end and showed well on the defensive end down thew stretch as well. I hope he stays for another year. Because Donewald's biggest claim to fame before becoming a full-time assistant was in player development. He's the type of guy who could really upgrade Mitchell's skill level with a full offseason provided we go to the Final 4 this year and the entire staff is retained. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Got our 8th quadrant 1 win!

Yeah, this week gave us two more top 20 NET wins. Huge for our resume. 

Just now, Deej said:

The price of wings, that's millions of dollars.

Good point, I may require some omelets too 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I have to say, at the risk of ruffling a lot of feathers around here, this team is no where near as talented as a lot of us pretend they are. What they are is a team that is super experienced with a bunch of high IQ players.  More specifically we're loaded with a core group of players who are supremely aware of what they're good at individually and rarely venture outside of it. But to say they're a super talented group is a leap too far in my opinion. I'd be highly surprised if any of a our upperclassmen spent a single second in the NBA. Just wanted to voice my petty disagreement because I see this claim repeated around here way too often. 

They aren't NBA players because of their size and athleticism. Not because of what they can or can't do with a basketball. If Timmy Allen was 6'11" and Marcus Carr was 6'5" they would have been in the league years ago. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, today was the best Mitchell has played in a long time.

He was good last game, too. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They aren't NBA players because of their size and athleticism. Not because of what they can or can't do with a basketball. If Timmy Allen was 6'11" and Marcus Carr was 6'5" they would have been in the league years ago. 

Yes you're correct, if they were totally different players they'd be in the NBA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And truth be told Marcus Carr has been on a hot streak much of this year, but even at 6'5" he'd struggle to be in the NBA. He'd have difficulty getting by anyone playing with a 24 second shot. And his style where he constantly seems like he's off balance and playing like the court has a nice sheen of ice on it isn't an NBA guard's game irrespective of his height. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Love the fight.  Such a gritty win against a TOUGH squad in their own gym.  Not only are these wins resume builders but they start to shape a team and give them the substance they need to make a run in the tourney.  To miss all of those layups, throw up a bunch of bricks in the first half and then flip the switch at half time to pull it out develops resolve in a team.  More 2nd half version of Bishop please.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Awesome sequence there from Bishop, never gave up on it. That was Texas basketball.

bishop went bucket >> block >> steal in about 25 seconds. i really really like that guy. he reminds me of guys like brad buckman and gary johnson- he's not the absolute best player, but he plays very hard, and he's capable of stepping up in a variety of ways, including/especially in big moments. i'm glad we've got him. and i'm thrilled that all of our guys came back for a second year here. they're real deal Longhorns for Life now, regardless of where they played before UT. 

• Hook 'Em 6

38 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

More specifically we're loaded with a core group of players who are supremely aware of what they're good at individually and rarely venture outside of it.

Our key players (Carr, Hunter, Allen and Rice) were all stars on their previous team. The reason they don’t all try to play hero ball is because this coaching staff has coached it out of them. And it still pops up from time to time.

More than anything, the coaching staff deserves credit for taking a group that had largely never played together, and getting them to play like a team.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Yep. I cringe any time someone calls Rice a “role player”.  He looks to be the leader of this team. He is a muthafuckin G.

it's amazing to me that he was primarily a football player who didn't take basketball seriously until his sophomore year. the words i most often use to describe him are savvy, languid, and smooth. he looks like he was born to hoop. he's as smooth a player as we've had since DJ Augustin, or maybe J'Covan at his best. guys that smooth and effortless are few and far between. 

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Yep. I cringe any time someone calls Rice a “role player”.  He looks to be the leader of this team. He is a muthafuckin G.

He’s an off the bench guy. That’s what I mean by role player. He’s def in the running for Sixth Man of the Year in the Big 12. Probably in the top 2