Bonded car title BS

I’m generally familiar with legal stuff, but I have zero experience in this area. Any help would be… helpful. 

Very long and crappy story relatively short: A little over a year ago, my daughter’s (no pics) boyfriend’s doctors sent him to the VA hospital in Dallas for tests. “Oh, hey, turns out you need a heart transplant. We’re flying you to Salt Lake City. Get on the shuttle to the airport. Now.” Daughter (no pics, seriously) joined him shortly thereafter. They’ve been there since.

His car remained in the parking lot. He eventually got a notice of abandonment from the hospital. Daughter let the hospital know what was what and the hospital treated the car as “awaiting pickup” and left it alone. 

About couple of weeks ago they got a “Notice of Determination for a Bonded Title or Tax Assessor-Collector Hearing” letter from the DMV. Daughter loses her shit thinking she’s going to have to tell her BF he might lose his car on top of the rest of the shitty last 12 months. I tell her to verify with the hospital that the car is still there. It is. I tell her to FedEx me the key, just before this icy crap. Key finally arrives and I go yesterday and get the car, with all the fun you’d expect from getting an unfamiliar car with a completely dead battery that hasn’t started in over a year from Dallas to Fort Worth. 

Finally, the point: I’ve done the Google thing through the statutes and the unsurprisingly unhelpful DMV site, and it very much appears that whatever dead soul is trying to claim a car from a hospital parking lot cannot actually get a bonded title without possession of the car (this has been prevented) or if there is a lien on the car (he still has a few payments left, the lienholder says everything is peachy on their end, and that they don’t get involved in this stuff until there’s an actual judicial event of some kind).

Finally, the questions: Is this likely just a case of some ghoul trying to grab a car and his attempt was dead in the water as soon as it turned out there was a lien? Given that there is a lien and the guy has no way of gaining possession, is that the end of it as far as someone successfully obtaining a bonded title on his car? 

In Texas possession and control of a vehicle is required as a condition for obtaining a bonded title.  In addition, a vehicle with a lien is ineligible for a bonded title unless a lien release is obtained or the lien is older than ten years. No bonding company will issue a bond under your circumstances.  More than likely some ghoul assumed the owner died in the hospital and he could get away with it.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

In Texas possession and control of a vehicle is required as a condition for obtaining a bonded title.  In addition, a vehicle with a lien is ineligible for a bonded title unless a lien release is obtained or the lien is older than ten years. No bonding company will issue a bond under your circumstances.  More than likely some ghoul assumed the owner died in the hospital and he could get away with it.

Yeah, that was my take from reading the statute. Lack of possession or the lien, let alone both, kill this fuckwittery.

The concern at this point was whether it would taint his title in any way when it came to renewing plates or selling, but it seems like not. 

I tell her to FedEx me the key, just before this icy crap. Key finally arrives and I go yesterday and get the car, with all the fun you’d expect from getting an unfamiliar car with a completely dead battery that hasn’t started in over a year from Dallas to Fort Worth. 

On 2/5/2023 at 6:09 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Can someone go get his car ? 

I’m surprised they haven’t towed it 

“Key finally arrives and I go yesterday and get the car…”

They were going to, but were made aware it want abandoned but the owner was out of state. 

On 2/5/2023 at 7:45 PM, tbone_ said:

Why didn’t y’all just go get his car?

Key finally arrives and I go yesterday and get the car…

The car, other than being exposed, was fine. It wasn’t going to get towed. I didn’t know anything about it until my daughter asked about the letter from the DMV, at which point I told her to send me the key so I could go get it to try to avoid any nonsense. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1