NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

I called Lamar to Atlanta in the opening post of the black monday thread (no racist)

It makes too much sense. Blank still hasnt gotten over the heartbreak of losing Vick and they have a shitload of capspace. And if he was going to sign a long term deal with Baltimore he would have already. Adding Lamar Jackson makes Atlanta a Super Bowl contender in the NFC

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I called Lamar to Atlanta in the opening post of the black monday thread (no racist)

It makes too much sense. Blank still hasnt gotten over the heartbreak of losing Vick and they have a shitload of capspace. And if he was going to sign a long term deal with Baltimore he would have already. Adding Lamar Jackson makes Atlanta a Super Bowl contender in the NFC

Damn hopefully he will also be better passing in ATL I can watch Pitts shine again. One of my favorite Gators.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:25 PM, cmontexas said:

No.  It makes them better, but not a contender.  

Elbow injuries to the throwing arm for NFL QBs don't usually heal quickly.  This article seems too optimistic -- really don't expect Purdy will be playing early next season...

49ers’ Brock Purdy Scheduled for Elbow Surgery, per Report

Story by Nick Selbe • 25m ago

San Francisco’s star rookie quarterback suffered an injury to his right elbow in the NFC championship game against the Eagles.  The 49ers and quarterback Brock Purdy have explored multiple options for how to treat the torn ulnar collateral ligament in the rookie’s right elbow. On Wednesday, the team and Purdy finally decided on a path forward.

Purdy will undergo surgery to repair the ligament on Feb. 22, ESPN’s Nick Wagoner reports. The expected recovery time is six months, which would put Purdy back on the field sometime during training camp in August.

Purdy suffered the injury during San Francisco’s opening drive of the NFC championship game against the Eagles when he was hit by linebacker Haason Reddick while attempting a pass. He left the game but eventually returned in the second half when his replacement, Josh Johnson, was forced out of the game with a concussion.

Purdy was visibly limited in his return, unable to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield.

“The positive bit of news is that it seems to be consistent that the right approach is that one that takes about that six-month point,” 49ers general manager John Lynch said during his end-of-season press conference. “Now everybody will also say you never know until you get in there. Every surgeon will tell you that on every surgery. You always like getting in to see exactly … They’re continuing to work through that process, but we seem encouraged by the prognosis that that’s kind of where it’s at.”

After being the last pick in the 2022 NFL draft, Purdy emerged as San Francisco’s starter late in the year and immediately caught fire. He finished the regular season completing 67.1% of his pass attempts for 1,374 yards, 13 touchdowns and four interceptions.

image.png

Yeah, I thought I read he would miss the entire 2023 season. Now I read he would be ready by training camp? 

Curious what SF does about their QB situation. Jimmy G will be gone. Both Purdy and Lance will be coming off serious injuries/surgeries. And Lance looked pretty bad when he started. Do they roll with Purdy and try and trade Lance? Because they gave up some assets to move up to draft Lance.

15 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If Purdy is healthy and beats out Lance they have to trade Lance. They'll get someone to bite on his talent, get a pick or two in exchange, and have a starting QB on the cheapest contract imaginable.

This is how I think it goes down. Not the way the imagined it but you have to keep rolling with the punches. Lance reminds me of a Fields. There is some upside there but still very raw. If they believe Purdy is their guy for the future, you get what you can for Lance right now while he is still on a friendly rookie deal.

We will see how Purdy does next year now that defensive coaches have a whole offseason to study film on him and develop schemes to slow him down. And how he adjusts to that. But SF coaching staff is really good so I'm sure they will be able to counter those adjustments with their own adjustments.

What the hell did Michael Irvin do now?
Supposedly made a woman uncomfortable in the lobby in Phoenix. Very vague of what he did, if anything. Haven't really heard much more of it. There has to be footage being in a hotel. He could have been high as shit and made her uncomfortable lol

What the hell did Michael Irvin do now?

Fucked up again.

He’s all over the place besides NFLN. He does inside the NFL on Paramount, shows up on Stephen a smith, he’s everywhere. Until now.

The NFLN, after Warren Sapp, Darrin Sharper, Willie McGinnest, Marshall Faulk, Ike Taylor, Heath Evans and others, is skittish as hell about these fuckers embarrassing the shield. I’m amazed Irvin has lasted this long.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Zach Thomas announced as inductee into Canton.

Dude from little ole White Deer and then Pampa will be enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Tough as nails and just a tackling machine. Glad to see it.

Also happy as hell to see Don Coryell- should have been in there a long ass time ago.

Rest of the class:

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, slorch said:

Dude from little ole White Deer and then Pampa will be enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Also happy as hell to see Don Coryell- should have been in there a long ass time ago.

Rest of the class:

I don’t immediately think Hall of Fame when it comes to Zach Thomas. But if you look at his numbers and consider how he excelled at the position, I can’t disagree with the selection. And I always liked him, especially for this.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t immediately think Hall of Fame when it comes to Zach Thomas. But if you look at his numbers and consider how he excelled at the position, I can’t disagree with the selection. And I always liked him, especially for this.

Jimmy Johnson spends some time on Zach in his book, on why he is the definition of the kind of person you build defenses around and how important his drive to excel leads football teams. He’s a lot like Jimmy as a player at Arkansas on their badass 64 team…undersized, fast, smartest guy on the field, always prepared, aggressive, a long list of intangibles. Glad to see him enshrined and it’s well deserved. Bravo.
  • Like 1

Only 3 Walter Payton Man of the Year Award winners still currently play in the league:

Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, and Calais Campbell.

That is amazing. It's not as if it is some "Old Guy" or career achievement award.  That's a lot of churn there.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:45 PM, slorch said:

Rest of the class:

In what world is Joe Klecko in but Harvey Martin is not.  

Good for Howley...long overdue.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

In what world is Joe Klecko in but Harvey Martin is not.  
Good for Howley...long overdue.

How come Harvey’s not in the Ring of Honor? Or Ware. Moose. I’d have Frank Glieber and Brad Sham in there too.

Harvey played when they didn’t record sacks. And he had a DV charge and cocaine issues. Even though the nfl just renamed the rushing title trophy after Jim Brown who’s had multiple DV issues.

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

How come Harvey’s not in the Ring of Honor? Or Ware. Moose. I’d have Frank Glieber and Brad Sham in there too.

Harvey played when they didn’t record sacks. And he had a DV charge and cocaine issues. Even though the nfl just renamed the rushing title trophy after Jim Brown who’s had multiple DV issues.

now that Howley is in the cowboys are missing Martin and Woodson being in the Hall.  Too Tall is borderline. If he hadn't taken 2 years off in his prime to box I think he'd be in.

Ring of Honor is kinda weird and is even weirder with Jones involved.

What the fuck do we do now? March Madness is OK. Longhorn basketball made me interested again.  Always been a Dallas Cowboy fan since it is what my family loved. When I was at UT I was more of a Longhorn football/basketball/baseball fan than the Cowboys. Started to become interested in the Cowboys again to spend time with the family. Screw the NBA/MLB. I guess just drink and read Surly now.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:38 AM, South Austin said:

This should be the only unis Tech ever wears.