NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

19 hours ago, Ignatius said:

No he isn’t.

LOLz.  Mahomes is a system guy.  Even when the personnel constantly change around him...

I love how the Lamar fanbois( not necessarily you) try to play up Lamar's shortcomings as 'just being on the wrong team.'

I think he would make the Falcons a damn good team.  But $250 million is a lot of cheddar. The Ravens already offered him more than Russell Wilson got from the Broncos. And now that that deal blew up in the Broncos face, I’m sure everyone is a little wary of big deals for non Patrick Mahomes level players. 

Lamar was also offered before the season more than Daniel Jones signed for.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

I love how the Lamar fanbois( not necessarily you) try to play up Lamar's shortcomings as 'just being on the wrong team.'

That’s a thing? I wish that that imbecile Jeff Fisher had the common sense to install something resembling the current Ravens’ system when he had VY.

Imagine watching VY’s college tape and deciding to spend a top-5 pick on him and then throw him into a system that limits exactly what made him lethal in college. Baltimore devised an offense that enabled Jackson to win a goddamn MVP award. (Nobody will ever convince me that VY couldn’t have been at least as good as Lamar in the nfl in a similar system.) 

15 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That’s a thing? I wish that that imbecile Jeff Fisher had the common sense to install something resembling the current Ravens’ system when he had VY.

Its not a thing, but everything has to take sides and get extreme about it

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Thanks Jerry. He wanted to come to Dallas. A fucking three and a player. Cheap date. He’s under contract thru 2027. Piss off

Yep. Typical Dallas front office. They love their guys. Even though those guys haven't won shit in almost 30 years.

It's all an extension of Jerry's ego. If he drafted a guy, then obviously that guy is way better than anyone else. Going and getting free agents to him is an admission that he fucked something up. And he would never ever ever do that.

Hence, loyalty to "his guys". Because he could never be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

I guess the Raiders kinda makes sense because McDaniels, but the Texans? Why would they want Jimmy G? Why would he want to go there? It makes zero sense from the perspective of either side.

Agreed. Jimmy G is nothing but a product of the Niners team building and the defense they had. He won the NFC championship game in 2019 with only attempting like 9 passes. He also beat the Packers last year without even scoring an offensive TD. He was asked to do nothing. But when they did need to rely on them in the Super Bowl and NFC Championship game against the Rams, he failed. Jimmy G is a guy you bring in if you already have a great roster in place but lack a QB. But as a team who needs to rebuild? Not at all. Texans have the #2 pick. Unless they aren't very high on this QB draft class and want Jimmy G as a stop gap.

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

They'll pay him millions of dollars. He's 31, not gonna get another big deal after this IMO. Taking the money is a no-brainer. 

Seems to me like Houston would want him on the cheap and he'd be able to find a better deal somewhere else.

Guess it was the Raiders. Still a weird move for them.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

I guess the Raiders kinda makes sense because McDaniels, but the Texans? Why would they want Jimmy G? Why would he want to go there? It makes zero sense from the perspective of either side.

My guess for the Texans is that they want to go big with Richardson at #2 but know they need someone for a few years. 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

My guess for the Texans is that they want to go big with Richardson at #2 but know they need someone for a few years. 

I dunno. Picking Richardson over Stroud or Young is a bit of a "i'm smarter than everyone else" GM move. And they already did that move last year by picking Stingley over Gardner. I'm not sure that Caserio can pull that card again.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

Anthony Richardson is not going to be a top 10 draft pick. If he is a top 10 pick, then every scout, GM, intern, administrative assistant, and parking lot attendant even remotely responsible should be fired into the sun. If he is a top 10 pick then I will post pictures involving a sharpie. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Richardson screams "bust" to me. Obviously if he is a top 5-10 pick, he made the correct decision to leave, but if I'm a GM I want to see another year in school and observe some serious improvement. He has one full season in the SEC, and his stats are pretty average to me. World is full of great athletes who cant play QB in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Anthony Richardson is not going to be a top 10 draft pick. If he is a top 10 pick, then every scout, GM, intern, administrative assistant, and parking lot attendant even remotely responsible should be fired into the sun. If he is a top 10 pick then I will post pictures involving a sharpie. 

Oh, he’s going top 10 for sure. Probably top 5. 

He shouldn’t, but some team won’t be able to resist themselves. Josh Allen’s development will be pointed to, never mind that Allen was much better in college. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jimmy G is a downgrade from Carr in my eyes.

They're pretty close to the same guy in my book. Carr was massively overrated after he had a couple of good stat years, but never has been much above average. He has a  more arm talent than Jimmy G, but Jimmy is a better game manager, less mistake prone. Both of them are guys you can start while drafting/developing the qb of the future at this point.

50 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He might be a top 10 pick. It only takes one Raider type franchise that loves how he looks in his underwear and how far he can throw a football to take him high. But he looks like a 10/90 Pro Bowl to Total Bust odds talent.

I would be nervous about Stroud, too, mostly based on what we have seen from Ohio State qbs. It doesn't seem like a great year to need a franchise qb with a top 10 pick.

They're pretty close to the same guy in my book. Carr was massively overrated after he had a couple of good stat years, but never has been much above average. He has a  more arm talent than Jimmy G, but Jimmy is a better game manager, less mistake prone. Both of them are guys you can start while drafting/developing the qb of the future at this point.

Carr is an example of what happens to QBs that have a change or two at HC, GM, OC, and QB coach every season. This is so overlooked and these early draft pick QBs come into shitty teams with shitty o lines and outbound coaches. The best QBs have consistency in coaching along with a solid o line.

Richardson is an example of sticking another year in college. A solid season showing development and he’s the #1 in 24 draft. I think he is the 5th QB taken. Don’t know where yet.

I agree that Richardson SHOULDN'T be taken in the top 10. But after being a combine superstar I feel like some team is going to fall in love with that and think they can "fix" him.

As a lions fans I would love for 4 QBs to go in the top 5 so the lions can get Anderson or Carter. Anyone aside from those two is a pretty steep step down. 

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

I agree that Richardson SHOULDN'T be taken in the top 10. But after being a combine superstar I feel like some team is going to fall in love with that and think they can "fix" him.

As a lions fans I would love for 4 QBs to go in the top 5 so the lions can get Anderson or Carter. Anyone aside from those two is a pretty steep step down. 

It's the most frustrating part of the draft to me. There's always some scrub QB that gets hyped up because he's a giant and had a great combine. Nevermind the fact that we have all sorts of film of him not being any good at playing the position, look how high he can jump. He can't throw an out route but damn, look at the zip on that 70 yard pass!

• Hook 'Em 1

It's the most frustrating part of the draft to me. There's always some scrub QB that gets hyped up because he's a giant and had a great combine. Nevermind the fact that we have all sorts of film of him not being any good at playing the position, look how high he can jump. He can't throw an out route but damn, look at the zip on that 70 yard pass!
This was Byron Jones in 2015. Combine warrior. Dallas fell in love and drafted him 1st round. Absolutely nowhere near a 1st round talent. He made no plays at all. But for some reason with PFFs own grading metrics that are many times stupid, they rated him very high every year as his career went on. All i remember him is trailing good WRs because they beat him. I think Diggs had more picks his rookie year than he had his own career.

Such a fucking diva. Hasn’t even signed yet already dictating roster construction. 

Players dictating personnel moves is always a great idea and works out so much......lulz

Jets do have a young core of WRs they have built. Don't sell out for some end of career QB demanding he wants to play with his buddies.
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

A lot of it is the ego of NFL coaches I think, and the fact that they don’t really have a lot of respect for the coaching players have received up to the point of being drafted. They see an elite package of skills like Richardson has and think once they are working in their system and given the right coaching, all that potential will be unlocked. 

I get it to an extent, and it’s happened, if infrequently. I was certain Josh Allen would be a bust based on his underwhelming college career, but Dabol was able to develop him. It’s really tempting to chase that crazy upside vs. going with someone who’s always going to be limited physically like Bryce Young. At the same time, Young is likely a better QB now than Richardson will ever be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

This was Byron Jones in 2015. Combine warrior. Dallas fell in love and drafted him 1st round. Absolutely nowhere near a 1st round talent. He made no plays at all. But for some reason with PFFs own grading metrics that are many times stupid, they rated him very high every year as his career went on. All i remember him is trailing good WRs because they beat him. I think Diggs had more picks his rookie year than he had his own career.

Byron Jones was an actually good CB-- it was the scheme and stupid cloud coverage defense and JG wanting to prioritize the knock down/defend the pass over going for the INTs.

I think generally there are combine scout team heroes who get drafted based off measurables that can't play football, but BJ was not one. Sorry, I reject your premise.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

A lot of Cowboys fans were upset they let him go without much of a fight. It was one of the many correct decisions they have made in recent years. They still find ways to screw things up, but they have learned somewhat from past mistakes in free agency. It's why they are more consistently above .500 as opposed to having total crap losing seasons. They just haven't had a coaching staff that can take it where it could go.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jets are bowing down to Aaron Rodgers and the first domino fell lol.

I don't care if the Jets end up being decent next year, they are still one of the stupidest fucking franchises in sports history. They're just assuring another decade of mediocrity, but mostly shitty, with maybe a playoff year here and there. Yes, worse than Dallas.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Every year there is one guy that ESPN and all of the draftniks hype to no end who absolutely sucked on the field. It is to generate tv ratings and controversy. The real teams already know that he is an nfl level athlete who happens to suck at the position of QB.