NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

The FOX/CBS only carrying one conference has not been a thing for a long time. 

Huh? Each pays for either NFC or AFC. Inter conference games go to visiting team.

The only exception is they give CBS a handful of nfc games to make up for tv market disparities between afc and nfc.

It is greatly expanded this year, I would expect it mainly to affect the 330 games, with more Chiefs on Fox and Cowboys on CBS. Don't worry Texans fans, you will still almost always be on CBS at noon!!!
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, Dr Fear said:
On 5/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

It is greatly expanded this year, I would expect it mainly to affect the 330 games, with more Chiefs on Fox and Cowboys on CBS. Don't worry Texans fans, you will still almost always be on CBS at noon!!!

LMFAO

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
11 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
LMFAO

Holy shit lol. Not only do they have no primetime games, every single game except one is at noon. That has to be depressing (but expected) as a Houston fan.

This was the lions last year, they had thanksgiving day and then all 1pm starts until the final week got flexed. It really does suck to suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Holy shit lol. Not only do they have no primetime games, every single game except one is at noon. That has to be depressing (but expected) as a Houston fan.

I don’t remember Houston ever having more than one prime time game per year, even when they were a playoff team or coming off a division championship. Stinks for Houston they the NFL amends its rule when the Texans are at rock bottom. 

Conversely, even when the Cowboys are down they seem to get at least 3. Green Bay hasn’t looked crappy on paper in 20 years, but this year, a Packers team that may be shitty has FIVE prime time games. They couldn’t clip one of those off in favor Texans-Panthers, Texans-Browns, or Texans-Broncos?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t remember Houston ever having more than one prime time game per year, even when they were a playoff team or coming off a division championship. Stinks for Houston they the NFL amends its rule when the Texans are at rock bottom. 

Conversely, even when the Cowboys are down they seem to get at least 3. Green Bay hasn’t looked crappy on paper in 20 years, but this year, a Packers team that may be shitty has FIVE prime time games. They couldn’t clip one of those off in favor Texans-Panthers, Texans-Browns, or Texans-Broncos?
True. The NFL and networks know which teams get eyeballs. Dallas is easily #1 on that list. No matter how good or bad they are.

Couple quick notes. 

The NFL is taking another big step into streaming by putting one of its playoff games exclusively on a digital platform for the first time.

The league and NBCUniversal announced Monday that the Saturday night game on wild-card weekend will be on Peacock.

The Peacock exclusive game on Jan. 13 will start at 8:15 or 8:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the markets of the two teams. It will also be available on mobile devices through the NFL+ package. It will be preceded by a late-afternoon playoff game on NBC and Peacock that will kick off at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but The Wall Street Journal reported that it's a one-year deal with the league receiving approximately $110 million.

---- 

Veteran quarterback Matt Ryan, the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2016, is taking the next step in his career. But this phase will not be on the field.

Ryan, released by the Colts in March after one season in Indianapolis, has joined CBS Sports as an NFL analyst, the network said Monday. Ryan, who will turn 38 on Wednesday, will work as both a studio and game analyst across all CBS Sports platforms.

But Ryan, in a Twitter post announcing his new role, stopped short of saying he's done playing. He punctuated his message with a disclaimer: "P.S. -- this is not a retirement post."

Cutting Ryan cleared $17 million in cap space for the Colts. But $12 million of the remaining sum he is owed is connected to his 2023 base salary. Retirement could impact his right to those payments.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:23 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

I've been wondering the same thing recently. Why is it that one team can have 5 prime time games? There has to be some reason. I don't know the rules very well. Just like football :)
Hi all :)

NFL owners have approved flexing for "Thursday Night Football" starting this season during Weeks 13 through 17.

The change passed by a 24-8 vote, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Las Vegas Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers voting against it.

Only two flexes are allowed all season, and they must be done with 28 days of advance notice. Teams cannot play more than two Thursday night games in a season.

The resolution passed Thursday is for this season only, unless no Thursday night games are flexed, and in that case, it will carry over to the 2024 season. 

And they finally got smart enough to bring back this rule. Thanks, SF! 

NFL owners approved a rule Monday that allows teams to designate an emergency quarterback on game day, a rule they revived after the San Francisco 49ers ran out of quarterbacks during their loss in the NFC Championship Game last season to the Philadelphia Eagles.

The rule applies only to quarterbacks who are on a team's 53-man roster. Practice squad players are not eligible to be emergency quarterbacks, not even if they are elevated for that week's game. But it allows a team to avoid counting the emergency quarterback as one of its active players on game day, a modest incentive for teams that otherwise would have chosen to go into a game with only two available quarterbacks.

The emergency quarterback would be eligible for in-game activation if the rest of a team's quarterbacks are unable to participate due to injury or ejection, but not as a result of a benching. If one of the other quarterbacks is cleared to return to the game, the emergency quarterback must be removed at that time and can return only if there is once again no other option.

The XFL and USFL have applied a similar rule this spring, and the NFL itself used it from 1991 to 2010. During 2011 collective bargaining with the NFL Players Association, the sides decided to increase the overall limit of game-day active players rather than limit it to one position.

And they finally got smart enough to bring back this rule. Thanks, SF! 
NFL owners approved a rule Monday that allows teams to designate an emergency quarterback on game day, a rule they revived after the San Francisco 49ers ran out of quarterbacks during their loss in the NFC Championship Game last season to the Philadelphia Eagles.
The rule applies only to quarterbacks who are on a team's 53-man roster. Practice squad players are not eligible to be emergency quarterbacks, not even if they are elevated for that week's game. But it allows a team to avoid counting the emergency quarterback as one of its active players on game day, a modest incentive for teams that otherwise would have chosen to go into a game with only two available quarterbacks.
The emergency quarterback would be eligible for in-game activation if the rest of a team's quarterbacks are unable to participate due to injury or ejection, but not as a result of a benching. If one of the other quarterbacks is cleared to return to the game, the emergency quarterback must be removed at that time and can return only if there is once again no other option.
The XFL and USFL have applied a similar rule this spring, and the NFL itself used it from 1991 to 2010. During 2011 collective bargaining with the NFL Players Association, the sides decided to increase the overall limit of game-day active players rather than limit it to one position.

With the qb role so important to the game like this except I wouldn’t make it an emergency entry. You should get three QBs on your 55, and up the game actives from 46 to 47, and all three QBs can be freely played as QBs.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Heard that Brady is buying a stake in the Raiders. Tom ain't wasting any time. Although, I'm not sure I would have wasted my money on the Raiders.

Yeah, old handy man Kraft couldn’t give Brady some preferred stock at a discount? Brady is responsible for a huge percent of their value relative to other teams. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two Browns players robbed at gunpoint, per police report

BEREA, Ohio -- Two Cleveland Browns players were robbed at gunpoint by six masked men, according to a police report.

Police redacted the names of the victims in the incident in the report, but a team source confirmed that the two players were cornerback Greg Newsome II and defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey.

Neither was harmed during the incident, police said.

According to police, the two players left a Cleveland nightclub early Monday morning. When they got to Newsome's truck in a nearby parking lot, six masked men jumped out of an unknown car and robbed them at gunpoint at 3:30 a.m. ET Monday. In addition to stealing jewelry, the suspects fled in Newsome's truck.

Police are attempting to locate the stolen vehicle. Newsome referenced the incident on Twitter on Monday night, writing: "It's a cruel world we live in."

Newsome wasn't the only Browns player to have his car stolen over the weekend. Another source confirmed that Browns backup running back Demetric Felton had his vehicle stolen out of his apartment garage.

The Browns begin mandatory minicamp Tuesday.

Edited by Vic Mackey

In a club at 3:30 am. Didn’t call an Uber. Didn’t use the valet. Teams give players free anonymous car service as does the NFLPA. Dumbasses. Cut them for pure stupidery.
While this is true, I'm pretty sure it is still frowned upon behind the scenes for having to use that service. It shows they weren't being responsible in the owner's eyes. And it documents that they used it.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
16 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:
In a club at 3:30 am. Didn’t call an Uber. Didn’t use the valet. Teams give players free anonymous car service as does the NFLPA. Dumbasses. Cut them for pure stupidery.

While this is true, I'm pretty sure it is still frowned upon behind the scenes for having to use that service. It shows they weren't being responsible in the owner's eyes. And it documents that they used it.

Well then change that culture....what's worse; using a service provided by your employer to be responsible or drive drunk, kill someone, and bring a ton more negative publicity to your employer?

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well then change that culture....what's worse; using a service provided by your employer to be responsible or drive drunk, kill someone, and bring a ton more negative publicity to your employer?

Again, I get that. I was just explaining why some might be reluctant to use the service, since it now officially documents your whereabouts when they might want to hide this (for various reasons). 

The man who just got the Madden cover's self-promotion as senior in high school. I mean, it's definitely inspiring in an anything can happen kind of way and work hard and bet on yourself and get lucky:

My name is Josh Allen, a quarterback out of a small town school in the Central Valley called Firebaugh. I currently stand a 6'4" and at 200 lbs. I have obtained a 3.8 gpa throughout all my high school years, while playing 3 varsity sports. I currently have no D-1 offers due to the competition of our school, however I have a few walk on opportunities. I led our team this year to a school record of 10-2, while breaking numerous individual records as well. I believe I have what it takes to have a successful collegiate career, wherever I may go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Supposedly the teams services are anonymous, in that the bill doesn’t say who used it. The NFLPA service is 100% anonymous. Basically to take away the excuse you describe.

This all came out with the Josh Brent situation. Had either pulled their card no one is dead. Additionally, with Uber there is zero reason for anyone to drive drunk.

As they say nothing good happens after midnight.

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Supposedly the teams services are anonymous, in that the bill doesn’t say who used it. The NFLPA service is 100% anonymous. Basically to take away the excuse you describe.

This all came out with the Josh Brent situation. Had either pulled their card no one is dead. Additionally, with Uber there is zero reason for anyone to drive drunk.

As they say nothing good happens after midnight.

I doubt it's truly "anonymous", but to your point, NFL owners don't need driving service tracking to know you've been at the club all night.  They can just as easily figure that out through plenty of other avenues.