John Fetterman - saving America with sweatshirts and Umbros

Gil Bang

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The only thing about mass shootings that outrages them is the talk of gun control that follows them.

There's that too. It's their best theatrical work that they do alongside "pro life" and "freedom of speech."

17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

For some reason Gisele Fetterman, Fetterman's 41 year old Brazilian wife, seems to be becoming a favorite whipping girl for Tucker Carlson and others lately. 

I'd hit it. 

Wolf and Lt. Gov. Fetterman Announce Pennsylvania COVID-19 Response Task Force for Health Disparity Report (50223493152) (cropped).jpg

Lotta truth to this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-gisele-fetterman-became-the-right-wing-s-favorite-super-villain/ar-AA1889cv

I started my twice-a-decade rereading of “The Handmaid’s Tale” a few nights ago, and one scene that sticks out every time I pick up the book is when the miserable Janine is made to recount her sexual assault, then to assume responsibility for it. Her fault, her fault, Janine’s fellow trainees chant, surrounding her and pointing. This is the magic trick of Gilead’s worldview; this is the magic trick of a lot of conservative worldviews. Men are the ones in charge of what happens, but the women are the ones to blame.

How Gisele Fetterman became the right wing’s favorite super villain© Mark Makela/Getty Images

What does your last name mean?

Ad

Ancestry®

Anyway, the next morning a friend sent me a clip of Tucker Carlson.

In a Tuesday evening segment, Carlson and Candace Owens discussed President Biden and Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.), who is seeking inpatient treatment for clinical depression while simultaneously recovering from a stroke. Carlson doesn’t believe either man should be in office — Fetterman because of his illnesses and Biden because of, Carlson claimed without evidence, diminished mental capacity due to age. But the point of that particular segment wasn’t to blame the politicians. It was to blame their wives.

“Why is Dr. Jill not the villain in this story? What is her problem?” Carlson demanded, asserting that a “a woman, a spouse, who loved her husband” would keep her husband away from campaigns. “What a ghoulish, power-seeking creep.”

“Absolutely,” Owens agreed. “These women are monsters.”

This wasn’t a new narrative in conservative media. “Jill Biden and Gisele Fetterman should be ashamed of themselves,” Laura Ingraham declared on air a few weeks ago. “Who’s the bigger elder abuser, Jill Biden or Gisele Fetterman?” radio host Jesse Kelly tweeted a couple of days after that.

“Jill Biden and Gisele Fetterman are failing their husbands,” read the headline of a recent Washington Examiner column, the body of which went on to claim that “both of these men are arguably victims of terrible women.”

This column linked to a Twitter poll put up by conservative commentator Matt Walsh titled “Who is the worst wife in America?” (In addition to Jill and Gisele, the other choices were Meghan Markle and Jada Pinkett-Smith, and no, I do not think it’s coincidence that three of these four options are immigrants or women of color).

The attacks on Gisele, in particular, are dizzying in scope and ambition: It was her fault that her husband ran for Senate. It was her fault that he won. It was her fault that her children were not dressed more formally for their father’s swearing-in. John Fetterman, according to one line of grotesque and specious Twitter speculation, struggled with depression because his wife wouldn’t stop seeking the spotlight. But then it was also Gisele’s fault when, to avoid the spotlight brought on by his hospitalization, she decided to take their children to Niagara Falls. “Gisele Left-Her-Man,” the Free Beacon declared.

Did John Fetterman feel left behind? I don’t know, but one could imagine that both parents would be relieved for their children to get far away from Washington right now, to a place where the local news site’s leading headline — I just looked it up — wasn’t about their father or their mother but rather, “Marineland walrus Smooshi and her calf flown to new home.”

It’s not hard to guess why pundits are going after Jill and Gisele instead of Joe and John. Attacking someone who is ill or elderly simply because they are ill or elderly is beyond the pale in our culture (for now, at least), even for those pundits whose flexible morals usually find a way to drain-snake around any barricades of decency.

But by placing blame on the wives, these commentators get to spread harmful messages against the president and senator while having plausible deniability against charges of ableism. The commentators are not — heavens, no — throwing mud at these poor men. They are merely scolding the women who should know better. It’s ableism, with a little sexism, as a treat.

Why do I think it’s sexism? Maybe it’s not! But I keep thinking about this: For several years, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) suffered accusations that she’d lost a step, that it was time for her to retire from political life. Whether you believed this or not, the fault was placed at Feinstein’s feet. I do not recall conservative pundits repeatedly declaring that Richard Blum (Feinstein’s husband, who died last year) was a “ghoulish, power-seeking creep.”

“Feinstein needs to do a live on camera interview, no subject off limits,” Ingraham tweeted last year, before Feinstein announced her planned retirement. “Why are they shielding her?”

Women are to blame when they don’t retire. Women are to blame when they don’t get their husbands to retire. Women are to blame when they don’t stand by their man. Women are to blame when they stand too close. Women are to blame.

Her fault, her fault, her fault.

• Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:37 PM, C-Man said:

spacer.png

"At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

Joseph N. Welch

spacer.png

They called the woman above a murderer, lesbian power-seeker who murdered her male lover, and groomer (American Spectator published a lie about the Clintons running some sort of weird camp in ARK). She knows the drill. She dared speak the truth more than once and paid a high price. Her perseverance under such constant, vicious, dishonest vilification is something I greatly admire. I believe even the fair-minded people here who dislike her are swayed by the hate campaign that was inescapable. 

If the pro-republic side of the spectrum started promoting decency, within hours the deplorables would impugn anyone aspiring decency and the word decency itself. 

I think things are worse than the Army-McCarthy red scare days. You could focus on the root of the problem which was American propaganda magnified by Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy. Nye shamed him. You can't do that to the shameless. Or the indecent.

Edited by RomaVicta
Clear up why I included lesbian which, of course, is non perjorative.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The incessant giggling is a little much.

His Burgers, Brew & 'Cue is just another Drivers, Diners & Dives repackaged, but he grates on my nerves in a way that Guy does not.  I've seen him in a couple Food Network or Cooking Channel competitions with the likes of Bobby Flay and other celebrity chefs, and to give him credit, he actually has a decent game.

2 minutes ago, Walser said:

Is there another kind?

I think normally he's just coked up.

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

His Burgers, Brew & 'Cue is just another Drivers, Diners & Dives repackaged, but he grates on my nerves in a way that Guy does not.  I've seen him in a couple Food Network or Cooking Channel competitions with the likes of Bobby Flay and other celebrity chefs, and to give him credit, he actually has a decent game.

I think normally he's just coked up.

Dude can fucking cook and is super proud of his hometown of Cleveland.

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Dude can fucking cook and is super proud of his hometown of Cleveland.

His covid shows where he cooks in his back yard are epic.  His wife apparently has yet to figure out that their next door neighbor, who runs the iphone camera, is his side piece, but whatever.  I've learned a lot watching that guy cook.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

I’ve smoked more weed than most people on this board, but the whole 4/20 thing is incredibly cringe. Only way to make it more cringe is to have a 53 year old stroke victim holding up some dorky weed paraphernalia. Grow up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

8 minutes ago, Mullet Free said:

I’ve smoked more weed than most people on this board, but the whole 4/20 thing is incredibly cringe. Only way to make it more cringe is to have a 53 year old stroke victim holding up some dorky weed paraphernalia. Grow up. 

You just used the term “cringe.” Twice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mullet Free said:

I'd prefer it over AR-15 pins following a fucking school shooting, but yeah... weird. 

• 4 weeks later...

That was tough to watch.  I'm hoping for his health, that was just him getting his "sea legs" back under him...just working out nerves and shit.  They all, both sides, grandstand and stammer as old fucks, on committee dais.  As long as they vote consciously and lucidly, that's what really matters.  

Shit, I've been paid for voiceover work and radio DJ and to speak publicly and after a nerve issue last year, it took me awhile to get back to nailing it.  It's tough.  Plus, once you get inside your head and start questioning how you sound...you kinda circle the drain.  But that was not encouraging to watch for Fetterman.  Hopefully, some folks he trusts who care about him catch that and work on it with him and see if he needs speech therapy help or neurology or whatnot.  Rewiring the brain is fucking rough stuff, or so the other man who lives in my brain has explained to me.  

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That was indeed rough. But I understood the question, as seemingly did the svb person he was talking to. 

Good point.  If you can get a banker or an engineer and I've dealt with thousands over the years...to understand your question and actually answer it...it's a good day.  'Cause even when I'm having an eloquent and terse day at the conference table, I'd rather ask Rain Man on 'ludes a question before I engaged with a banker or engineer.  

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

imagine how awesome he is irl

just a regular guy with 4 kids. Watching hockey while my wife plays on her phone. Kind of in between seasons so we have a light schedule tomorrow. Just one soccer game at 930am. Would’ve smoked some weed with her tonight, but I’m considering switching jobs so I need to keep it clean just in case. We would probably have fun LHF68 💨 

• Pancho changed the title to John Fetterman - saving America with sweatshirts and Umbros