Yacht Rock Radio is back

Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On some level, maybe, I can understand Baker Street grating on you after a while because it's overplayed. But you're going to change the channel on Right Down the Line? That's just wrong.

This man speaks truth.  Gerry gets more play than he deserves, but both songs are legit musically.

• 5 weeks later...
On some level, maybe, I can understand Baker Street grating on you after a while because it's overplayed. But you're going to change the channel on Right Down the Line? That's just wrong.

QFmothefuckintruth.
God damn...never seen the video...that IS creepy.

Yeah....just a LITTLE bit.

This man speaks truth.  Gerry gets more play than he deserves, but both songs are legit musically.

I absolutely love this song. In fact, the entire ‘City to City’ record is really fucking good. Baker Street may get too much play, but the rest of his catalogue is criminally underrated.

On a related note, there is a yacht rock hoot night at hotel Vegas tonight.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I absolutely love this song. In fact, the entire ‘City to City’ record is really fucking good. Baker Street may get too much play, but the rest of his catalogue is criminally underrated.

On a related note, there is a yacht rock hoot night at hotel Vegas tonight.

I noticed this....am thinking of trying to talk the wife into checking it out.  What the hell is a hoot night, by the way?  Any expectations for this one?

On 8/10/2018 at 2:43 PM, Brisketexan said:

I noticed this....am thinking of trying to talk the wife into checking it out.  What the hell is a hoot night, by the way?  Any expectations for this one?

I didn't end up going, and if you didn't go and figure it out, a hoot night is when a bunch of musicians/bands play songs by a single artist or as part of a specific genre in this case. They used to do them at Hole in the Wall all the time. Not sure if they still do.

Is England Dan and John Ford Coley considered Yacht Rock?  Love Yacht Rock but agree it's a limited genre and could tolerate melding the playlist with some select singer songwriter stuff and easy rock to flesh out the play list a bit.

13 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Is England Dan and John Ford Coley considered Yacht Rock?  Love Yacht Rock but agree it's a limited genre and could tolerate melding the playlist with some select singer songwriter stuff and easy rock to flesh out the play list a bit.

I Really Wanna See You Tonight is a Yacht Rock staple.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

"City To City" is SUCH a great record.  I listen to it all the time.  I don't even get tired of "Baker Street".

And reaching back a little bit, Gerry's turn on "Stuck In The Middle With You" is fantastic, too.  Too bad he drank himself into the grave.

I actually just bought that album (City to City) after reading this thread. I've always loved Baker Street and Right Down The Line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

For all you poor bastards with old radios, Yacht Rock is back on the SiriusXm dial at channel 70.  In honor of its return to the regular channel line-up, I humbly submit the great Al Stewart and his Year of the Cat.  This song has it all.  They throw in a couple of killer guitar solos, and just when you thought it couldn't get better, they top it off with a saxophone solo.  This is a smooth tune.

• Like 1

For all you poor bastards with old radios, Yacht Rock is back on the SiriusXm dial at channel 70.  In honor of its return to the regular channel line-up, I humbly submit the great Al Stewart and his Year of the Cat.  This song has it all.  They throw in a couple of killer guitar solos, and just when you thought it couldn't get better, they top it off with a saxophone solo.  This is a smooth tune.

Great freaking song.
That’s a great song. But I think the best yacht rock song ever is Baker Street.
I can't just pick one best yacht rock song. Baker Street is definitely up there for that riff/hook.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yacht Rock is back. Brisket is happy. Last night, Brisket sang “the sailors say Brandy, you’re a fine girl, what a GOOD WIFE you would be!” loudly, in the car, annoying the kids. It was awesome. I was awesome. Brandy was awesome.

Whenever I hear this song, I picture Brandy looking like Brandi Brandt:

eakn9lgv9pvnvpg_36126581-copy.jpg?qualit

Sadly, life hasn't been that great to Ms. Brandt.

Wow, I hear this all the time, and never paid attention to the lyrics.  Holy shit.  Chris Hanson would like Benny to have a seat over there.

And I kinda like that song.  I feel a little dirty.  
Benny has nothing on Gary puckett.

You disagree, as do I, but FWIW 
https://www.yachtornyacht.com/songs/8/Southern-Cross

These guys claim to have coined the term yacht rock, which is a very not yacht thing to do.

Just want to point out that the grading scale you listed for southern cross also says no to summer breeze and Baker Street and rich girl.

3e2241edb6520732c3f3be870e4348f4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...