Yacht Rock Radio is back

Sbbruin

Buddy of mine is in this band.  They all do this full time and actually have people that follow them around on their tours.  Based in Atlanta, but play all along the Atlantic coast.   They make a TON of money doing private parties.  One company paid for them to play a party in Costa Rica recently.    A few times a year, they do these huge revival shows and have the original singers play with them.  People like Walter Egan, Nick Gilder,  Peter Becket, Jeff Carlise, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Wife and I attended a lavish wedding in Dallas for a good friend's daughter a few summers ago. The party band was awesome...studio quality musicians, singers, back up singers...sumbisches could nail any song you could think of. I'm talking Broadway showmanship...and their fee was commensurate. 

22 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Buddy of mine is in this band.  They all do this full time and actually have people that follow them around on their tours.  Based in Atlanta, but play all along the Atlantic coast.   They make a TON of money doing private parties.  One company paid for them to play a party in Costa Rica recently.    A few times a year, they do these huge revival shows and have the original singers play with them.  People like Walter Egan, Nick Gilder,  Peter Becket, Jeff Carlise, etc.  

Just saw them at HOB Houston 2 weeks ago.

F'ing chickfest.

On 6/1/2019 at 9:03 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yacht Rock is back. Brisket is happy. Last night, Brisket sang “the sailors say Brandy, you’re a fine girl, what a GOOD WIFE you would be!” loudly, in the car, annoying the kids. It was awesome. I was awesome. Brandy was awesome.

But my life, my lover, my lady..is the sea.

Always felt like this lyric 

Brandy wears a braided chain
Made of finest silver from the North of Spain
A locket that bears the name
Of the man that Brandy loved

And this lyric

So I'm sailing for tomorrow, my dreams are a dyin'
And my love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain

are related. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 8:16 AM, Steel Shank said:

I always thought Atlanta Rhythm Section just enjoyed doing Classic IV songs. Then I found out some ARS's members were previously in Classics IV. Explains a lot.

I won't link it, because it isn't yacht rock, but "Large Time" is a serious jam, and it's their own.

I saw ARS once -- in Chicago at Navy Pier.  My Dad and I were checking out colleges in the area, and we found out about Summerfest (or whatever it was called).  Only rock concert my pop ever saw.  I think he actually liked it.

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Jesus, 3 pages and none of one of the GOAT Yacht music bands. Take one and pass it down. 

Maybe one of their worst songs.  H&O are one of those bands with great songs and absolutely awful ones.

A great one.

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This song makes me want to jab an ice pick into my ears.

Jesus that's bad. I made it about 50 seconds. 

I fucking hate "Your kiss" or whatever it's called as well. Int you dislike Private Eyes - but I'm a child of the 90s so I tend to be way less burnt out on a lot of 80s music and that style/aesthetic in general. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I skimmed back through three pages and saw no mention of how "Steal Away" by Robbie Dupree is a total rip-off of "What A Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers, so I guess I'll be the one to say it:

"Steal Away" by Robbie Dupree is a total rip-off of "What A Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers