Air- the story of Nike's pursuit of MJ. Damon, Affleck, Viola Davis, Chris Tucker

shadow_operative

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Saw the clip and googled who plays Jordan….  Evidently no one?  I know it’s focused on Nike but seems like someone should be playing Jordan in this story.  

I keep thinking of HBO's Showtime and Dr. J, maybe it's for the best. Then again, I'm surprised it's not Kevin Hart. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

on the other hand, short of levi's blue jeans (which would be make a much worse movie) I can't think of something in fashion as iconic and as impactful on pop culture at large as Nike sneakers and Jordans in particular. I doubt that the movie even really gets that deep into hip hop culture and Air Jordans but it's an interesting story worth telling.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

on the other hand, short of levi's blue jeans (which would be make a much worse movie) I can't think of something in fashion as iconic and as impactful on pop culture at large as Nike sneakers and Jordans in particular. I doubt that the movie even really gets that deep into hip hop culture and Air Jordans but it's an interesting story worth telling.

Probably right. Going back further - the Lacoste tennis/polo shirt - but that's an item rather than a specific brand. Another one off the top of my head would be Chuck Taylor's - but Nike has proven to be more lasting. 

Aviators/Wayfarers as far as accessories go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Probably right. Going back further - the Lacoste tennis/polo shirt - but that's an item rather than a specific brand. Another one off the top of my head would be Chuck Taylor's - but Nike has proven to be more lasting. 

Aviators/Wayfarers as far as accessories go. 

I'm not a sneakerhead and don't know the history well, so I had to look up what Run DMC wore (Adidas all stars). Chucks are a really good example. I think the big "story" of fashion in the modern era is of increasing informality and the elevation of workwear and athletic wear, and parallel to that the story of streetwear and how that reflected/drove shifts and attitudes about race in American culture. If you were to focus that on one brand I think it would have to be Nike. Or maybe just the sneaker would be a good focus to be able to tell that story. Surely someone has made that documentary already.

Another one off the top of my head would be Chuck Taylor's - but Nike has proven to be more lasting. 

Dunno. I’d bet Chucks outnumber Nikes 3-1 among teens. They outnumber Jordans probably 100-1.

My two kids probably have 8 pairs of Chucks between them and zero Nikes. Granted these are white kids with zero street cred.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That Super Bowls trailer looked terrible. Looked like a Matt Damon and Affleck episode of SNL. Complete parody and farce. I can't believe they made that with a serious tone. 

Yeah, I saw the trailer and kept waiting for the punch line.  Save money with Geico or some shit.  Like, this isn't a real movie, right?   A fucking 2 hour commercial for Nike?  No fucking thank you.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, Celery Man said:

Nikes weren't iconic until Air Jordans. They were a good shoe with a nice logo before then. So were Puma, New Balance and Adidas.

Converse All-Stars were what the cool kids were wearing before Air Jordan happened.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

That Super Bowls trailer looked terrible. Looked like a Matt Damon and Affleck episode of SNL. Complete parody and farce. I can't believe they made that with a serious tone. 

I also thought it was a Funny or Die movie trailer. Kept waiting for the joke to be revealed 

On 2/10/2023 at 1:20 AM, Hook1997 said:

Saw the clip and googled who plays Jordan….  Evidently no one?  I know it’s focused on Nike but seems like someone should be playing Jordan in this story.  

I read they were going to make a movie about Scottie Pippen, but Pippen refused to cooperate when he found out someone else would play him.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
On 2/10/2023 at 2:20 AM, Hook1997 said:

The last guy who played Jordan in a movie is in prison for murdering his wife. The role may be cursed.

image.thumb.jpeg.43e0c943c8d04bc6c307113c63797244.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 2:05 PM, Celery Man said:

Fiddy dolla sneakers and I got no job.

mars-blackmon-jordans&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=649

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Nikes weren't iconic until Air Jordans. They were a good shoe with a nice logo before then. So were Puma, New Balance and Adidas.

Converse All-Stars were what the cool kids were wearing before Air Jordan happened.

And Nike didn't even make decent basketball shoes before the Jordan/Dunks.

This was kind of the state of the art roundball shoe before that.

adidas Originals Men's Top Ten Red Bulls Sneaker

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, Celery Man said:

My neighborhood observation is that every single suburban white kid is wearing these

image.thumb.jpeg.5e7dafe691cf8330f6d52db1201d3c27.jpeg

Correct.  Nike once again controls the suburbs. Every middle school and high school girl also has a pair of 270s as their workout shoes.  Chucks dominated two years ago. 

44 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5e7dafe691cf8330f6d52db1201d3c27.jpeg

Had a pair of these in 1979 and they were trashed in 2 months.

adidas Originals Men's Top Ten Red Bulls Sneaker

Bought these in 1980 and the soles wore out in a few months. adidas-men-s-superstar-sneaker-white-black-white-12-5-medium-us-mens-white-black-white-a3fe-main-1.jpg

These were always my main shoes from 1978 thru 1984.

I always thought the shell toe was interesting.  Never saw much need for it in basketball as I never saw anyone with torn up toes from shooting hoops, even outside.

Tennis, on the other hand, would have seemed to benefit from it, but never saw anything like it on a tennis shoe.

18 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Well they were huge in the running world; they just weren't known as making shoes for any other sport.

It would be like today if all of a sudden New Balance signed the biggest basketball star coming out of college and made a shoe for him.

• Like 2

Well they were huge in the running world; they just weren't known as making shoes for any other sport.
It would be like today if all of a sudden New Balance signed the biggest basketball star coming out of college and made a shoe for him.

Exactly. I always get a chuckle out of people poking fun at the Jordan brand football schools. Like Nike and Adidas were made for football.