Air- the story of Nike's pursuit of MJ. Damon, Affleck, Viola Davis, Chris Tucker

shadow_operative

46 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:
Well they were huge in the running world; they just weren't known as making shoes for any other sport.
It would be like today if all of a sudden New Balance signed the biggest basketball star coming out of college and made a shoe for him.

Exactly. I always get a chuckle out of people poking fun at the Jordan brand football schools. Like Nike and Adidas were made for football.

Well, Adidas made related football boots loooong before Nike and were the only game in town for a couple of decades in murican football.

fa04870b7f6e9d19ec4346ade0e714ee.jpg&f=1

Earl-Campbell-at-UT-1000x667.jpg&f=1&nof

Funny sidenote, Earl/the Oilers, wore Pony.  Hadn't thought about them in years.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 3:39 PM, Hermanator said:

That Super Bowls trailer looked terrible. Looked like a Matt Damon and Affleck episode of SNL. Complete parody and farce. I can't believe they made that with a serious tone. 

I thought it was a joke and kept waiting for someone say Maya Rudolph to come out and do the clam M&Ms spiel again. 
Just a stupid trailer. 

Yeah, I saw the trailer and kept waiting for the punch line.  Save money with Geico or some shit.  Like, this isn't a real movie, right?   A fucking 2 hour commercial for Nike?  No fucking thank you.

I wasn’t very interested until seeing the trailer on Monday. Ben Affleck generally makes pretty good movies. Not saying I’ll see it at the theater but I’ll definitely check it out once it starts streaming.
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I wasn’t very interested until seeing the trailer on Monday. Ben Affleck generally makes pretty good movies. Not saying I’ll see it at the theater but I’ll definitely check it out once it starts streaming.

Yeah I think the trailer is just OK.

But as you said here and I noted earlier, Affleck deserves the benefit of the doubt as a director. Gone Baby Gone, Argo and The Town were all fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t see why I should care about the retelling of a story about selling shoes. I’m a huge sports fan and this just doesn’t interest me at all. Also, how do you generate suspense? We all know the gamble on Jordan pays off 

um... you understand that suspense is when the audience knows something that the characters don't, right? Like this is the literal definition of suspense, according to Hitchcock.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t see why I should care about the retelling of a story about selling shoes. I’m a huge sports fan and this just doesn’t interest me at all. Also, how do you generate suspense? We all know the gamble on Jordan pays off 

I never saw Titanic because I knew how it ended.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I doubt the idea is to build suspense.  Movies can exist based on real events.  The movie obviously will need to add a little bit more entertainment than a Wikipedia page.  One of the more interesting facets of Winning Time on HBO was Phil Knight courting Magic for a shoe deal.  He couldn't offer him any money because they had none, but offered him a portion of the company which would have proven to be worth ridiculous amount today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

I never saw Titanic because I knew how it ended.

A big ship getting destroyed, people dying and freezing to death, and a huge made up love story about passengers is not the same as “make me the best shoe in the world- we’re risking *everything*”.

You can say the same with movies about wars - civil war, wwi, wwii - the stakes are literally life and death. I don’t know. I will shut up about it. Enjoy the movie about selling sneakers 

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

in case you haven't noticed, there's a huge trend lately (both scripted and nonscripted) to depict events that happened in times when adults were alive and can remember what was going on, even if they weren't familiar with the story.  if you took a couple minutes, you could probably think of 10+ projects that fit this description.

typically it's something that the public knows something about, but maybe not the intricate details.  often it's based on a book, article, or just something that happened.  wework, pam and tommy, theranos, phony mcdonalds monopoly pieces, weird al, dahmer, winning time, thirteen lives, she said - that's just off the top of my head in the past couple years.  and there's always broader biopic types like elvis or blonde.

shit, i thought the subject matter for argo was fascinating because it took something that people generally knew about and fleshed it out into a real story (one that was classified for a long time).

but sure, we know how this ended so it probably sucks.  that's why "the last dance" was so unpopular.

i'm looking forward to this for a variety of reasons.

edited to add winning time, because that's a great example of this.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I doubt the idea is to build suspense.  Movies can exist based on real events.  The movie obviously will need to add a little bit more entertainment than a Wikipedia page.  

Yeah I mean take another movie that Affleck directed - Argo.

Did anyone not find that film less enjoyable because they knew that the Americans were going to get out? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

A big ship getting destroyed, people dying and freezing to death, and a huge made up love story about passengers is not the same as “make me the best shoe in the world- we’re risking *everything*”.

You can say the same with movies about wars - civil war, wwi, wwii - the stakes are literally life and death. I don’t know. I will shut up about it. Enjoy the movie about selling sneakers 

You wouldn't think The Big Short would be a compelling movie based on the story it told, but here we are.

We know Affleck and Damon can write a hell of a script, and based on the cast they were able to draw in with them for this, others seem to think this one might be good, too.

But I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. I'm reading a killer book about red dye, for fuck's sake...

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

What this movie presupposes is, maybe it didn't?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I saw it tonight. I’d probably give it a B-. They were going for Moneyball, but this movie was painfully unfunny. It’s 2 hours of people in rooms talking. Minus Damon and Affleck’s salaries, I think they made this movie for about a $1 million. 

I think the movie suffered because Michael Jordan isn’t in a single scene. Not sure what they were going for there. Imagine Winning Time without Magic appearing in one scene. 

On 2/15/2023 at 1:48 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I mean take another movie that Affleck directed - Argo.

Did anyone not find that film less enjoyable because they knew that the Americans were going to get out? 

Spoiler that shit, bro!

• Haha 2

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Had no expectations going in besides liking the cast and Jordans/shoes, and just happy to find a movie I want to see in theaters again. Not sure what anybody is expecting them to have blown the budget on… some shitty reenactment scenes of a UNC or Bulls game? I thought the way they used Jordan was well done, any time you have somebody that famous in a movie it’s hard to replicate them without taking the audience out of the story.

• Hook 'Em 1

Really good movie.  Great music.  They got the facts and the story right.  

Keep in mind, the movie isn't about Michael Jordan.  It's about the origin story of the Air Jordan brand.  This movie could easily be shown as part of an MBA curriculum about branding.  I could talk for hours about that but this movie nails it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Really good movie.  Great music.  They got the facts and the story right.  

Keep in mind, the movie isn't about Michael Jordan.  It's about the origin story of the Air Jordan brand.  This movie could easily be shown as part of an MBA curriculum about branding.  I could talk for hours about that but this movie nails it.

My wife is in marketing and branding and absolutely loved it from that perspective. I found it really fascinating from that angle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 12:15 PM, MrBig said:

I didn’t really like the movie because I had seen the “Sole Man” ESPN 30 for 30 first. Matt Damon was not the Sonny Vaccaro I expected to see after watching the documentary. 

Agree.  They also skip over the whole part of the story where Phil and George Raveling fuck over Sonny.  Sole Man is one of my favorite 30 for 30 episodes.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:05 PM, Celery Man said:

on the other hand, short of levi's blue jeans (which would be make a much worse movie) I can't think of something in fashion as iconic and as impactful on pop culture at large as Nike sneakers and Jordans in particular. I doubt that the movie even really gets that deep into hip hop culture and Air Jordans but it's an interesting story worth telling.

I watched this today for the first time.  Enjoyed the tale, but figure there is a lot of artistic license going on( duh!) Agreed that it seemed to skim over some major issues/ trials during the whole process.  there's no fucking way they dropped an f-bomb or two in front of Momma Jordan in that conference room.  For the movie, Vacarro was some borderline savant with his picking of Jordan and selling it to everybody.  I still didn't regret watching the show.

Air Jordans were expensive AF when they first came out and a lot of folks were like, "hell no we ain't payin $109 for tennis shoes," or whatever it was.  Then the greatness of Mike and some hellacious luck in marketing took over and fucking everybody wanted Jordans.  Certainly not just the black kids/ Hip- hop.  EVERYBODY.

Edited by slorch

On 2/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

It did a decent job of showing how it got there internally within Nike and within the Jordan camp.  Probably a lot of license on both accounts, but I did find it entertaining. i found the business side and persuasion aspects interesting.  It had virtually nothing to do with sports.

I liked the Lakers show much, much better.

Edited by slorch

They both depict vitally important shifts in culture.  One is limited to baseball.  The other touched sport/ fashion/ music/ pop-culture in general.

I liked Moneyball more, but the Air Jordan phenomenon is actually a bit understated, IMHO.

Saw it the other night and enjoyed it.  Good to see Chris Tucker in something again.  Apparently. Ben Affleck went to Michael Jordan to get his blessing. Mike said he needed two things — for Viola Davis to play his mother, and for Howard White to be a part of the story.  However, Howard's part was not in the script and Tucker got to write his part into it.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:48 PM, Hermanator said:

Men going stupid over basketball shoes is high up the list of dumbest things about this century so far. 

I'll admit to spending an inordinate amount of time window shopping for Jordan IVs lately.  Hard to pull the trigger on a pair of shoes I'll hardly ever wear, almost no one in my world will appreciate and cost 3-4x what I've ever paid on any other pair of shoes.  My guess is 3:1 I end up with them.

Liked the movie.

On 5/15/2023 at 4:41 PM, crony said:

Pretty damn good movie. On a side note, the Air Jordan 15s might be the ugliest shoes I've ever seen.

air-jordan-15.jpg

921677_01.jpg.jpeg?action=crop&width=750

22 hours ago, Mittens said:

I'll admit to spending an inordinate amount of time window shopping for Jordan IVs lately.  Hard to pull the trigger on a pair of shoes I'll hardly ever wear, almost no one in my world will appreciate and cost 3-4x what I've ever paid on any other pair of shoes.  My guess is 3:1 I end up with them.

Liked the movie.

I may actually be about to buy these. I don't think I'll really wear them but I had this pair when I was... little, 9 or 10 (like.. wtf i'm surprised my mom bought me these?) and they were my favorite shoes of all time as a kid. The little pull thing broke and Mom took it to Houston Shoe Hospital where the guy said it happens all the time.

c67d0cdbdbc711edb0d280c16e7a1548.jpg

ah actually the site i found trying to find this picture is not in fact nike.com and looks scammy (shejune?) and they don't have a size 13 anyways

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1