Rocky 1-5

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Fucking commie.

I just thought Apollo Creed and Mr. T were much more interesting as opponents. And I really meant the Rocky story kind of ran its course by the 4th one. I preferred the struggle version of Rocky vs the rich, lavish lifestyle Rocky. 

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I just thought Apollo Creed and Mr. T were much more interesting as opponents. And I really meant the Rocky story kind of ran its course by the 4th one. I preferred the struggle version of Rocky vs the rich, lavish lifestyle Rocky. 

And Rocky III still redeemed itself because of the fall from grace and Creed's redemption arc.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
You left off 6, which isn’t good but is miles better than 5. 

and you’d think differently about 4 if you grew up during the Cold War. 

Had no idea there was a 6. Netflix only had 5 of them so assumed it stopped there. Meeting I'll check out 6 to finish the series off.

6 is called rocky balboa. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hey, woman. Hey, woman! Listen here. Since your old man ain't got no heart, maybe you'd like to see a real man. I bet you stay up late every night dreamin' you had a real man, don't ya? I'll tell you what. Bring your pretty little self over to my apartment tonight, and I'll show you a real man.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The Rocky III training montage with Creed always got the adrenaline flowing as a kid. It’s funny to see how natural of an athlete Carl Weathers was compared to Stallone. Mr T was also a great character. 

Carl Weathers played for John Madden with the Raiders. Madden had told the story of when he came up to John to tell him he was quitting the NFL to make movies and Madden told him he was nuts. Then a couple years later he's in Rocky. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Rocky 4 is one of the greatest gifts cinema has given the world. I could listen to the soundtrack on the treadmill every day and never get tired of it.

1. Training Montage
2. War
3. Burning Heart
4. Eye of the Tiger
5. Hearts on fire
6. No Easy Way Out
7. Sweetest Victory
8. Going the Distance

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rocky 4 is one of the greatest gifts cinema has given the world. I could listen to the soundtrack on the treadmill every day and never get tired of it.

1. Training Montage
2. War
3. Burning Heart
4. Eye of the Tiger
5. Hearts on fire
6. No Easy Way Out
7. Sweetest Victory
8. Going the Distance

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think I was 16 when III came out, and Clubber Lang scared me.  When he beat Rocky I was shattered.

I loved how Apollo was such an incredible trainer he not only increased Rocky's 40 time, he made him faster than Apollo.

I probably watched III a hundred times because I loved watching The Rock get his revenge against Lang.

I didn't enjoy IV as much as most apparently do, despite how much I hated and feared the Soviet Union (I was born in 1966.  Grew up thinking the Soviet Union was a constant threat in my everyday existence).  Seeing Apollo twitching on the canvas was disturbing as hell.  I really, really groaned at making Drago's son the antagonist in the recent Creed film.  

The first one's the only real exercise in cinematic art.  Terrific screenplay and hell of an acting job by Stallone.  And I still get a chill whenever Rocky knocks Apollo down in the first round.  "He don't think it's a damn show. He thinks it's a damn fight." still gets hell-yeah, as well.

Shire is lovely. Making her look homely was pretty impressive.  I thought her wedding scenes in The Godfather were angelic, she was beautiful.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’m a fan but the fight scenes are so unrealistic it’s distracting to me every time. I get the sense they wanted him to be unconventional, but he never defends, and nobody can take that many direct blows and stay up. I generally agree with the census here, I is the best, V was terrible, the rest are pretty good.

Listened to a Hardcore History interview with Mike Silver and his book https://www.amazon.com/Arc-Boxing-Decline-Sweet-Science/dp/0786493879. He mentioned how the later Rocky movies harmed boxing by making everything think they needed a roided up musclebound body with no fat to box. The general discussion was on whether boxers of the past were better than the current generation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rocky Balboa/Rocky 6 is quite good considering the back story.  Stallone didn't like how the character ended up in 5 so 6 was basically a re-write like 5 never happened.  He wanted to send the character out better.  The fight scene at the end was great.  It was with Antonio Tarver (a real fighter) and it was done in Vegas before a Jermain Taylor fight.  They told all the people with tickets to the Taylor fight that if they just showed up early, they could be in a Rocky movie.  The arena was packed and the fans really got into it.

Also, the montage during the opening credits of people running up the Rocky steps in awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, wutang75 said:

1. Training Montage
2. War
3. Burning Heart
4. Eye of the Tiger
5. Hearts on fire
6. No Easy Way Out
7. Sweetest Victory
8. Going the Distance

Very little real dialogue in Rocky IV. It's something like 40% montage. Peak 80's and I love it.

Someone is notably missing from contributing music to this music heavy movie.. you guessed it! Frank Stallone. He must have been at odds with his brother during this stretch, because everyone, but him, contributes a song. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Listened to a Hardcore History interview with Mike Silver and his book https://www.amazon.com/Arc-Boxing-Decline-Sweet-Science/dp/0786493879. He mentioned how the later Rocky movies harmed boxing by making everything think they needed a roided up musclebound body with no fat to box. The general discussion was on whether boxers of the past were better than the current generation.

Thankfully, big ol’ Tyson Fury came along!

On 2/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, wutang75 said:

1. Training Montage
2. War
3. Burning Heart
4. Eye of the Tiger
5. Hearts on fire
6. No Easy Way Out
7. Sweetest Victory
8. Going the Distance

How can you leave off "Livin in America"? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

For me, the chills moment is when Rocky gets up from the late knockdown and waves like "come on" and Apollo just drops his head slightly in disbelief like "this fucking guy".  It is just perfect. 

The scene is the crescendo of everything the movie presented prior.  Love that they took 30 minutes to present the dumb, well-meaning, schmo, who doesn't see a way out of his world, before coming with the "golden ticket" angle.

The music makes this scene unforgettable.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’m a fan but the fight scenes are so unrealistic it’s distracting to me every time. I get the sense they wanted him to be unconventional, but he never defends, and nobody can take that many direct blows and stay up. I generally agree with the census here, I is the best, V was terrible, the rest are pretty good.

8 hours ago, futureman said:

Nobody… except Rocky. 

I mean, that's the story, right? He's NOT a great fighter. He doesn't even have a proper trainer or manager until Mick basically bullies his way into the role. He doesn't play defense because he doesn't know how. He's just going the distance with the champ because he's too stubborn to quit, willing his way into the final round.

A mere mortal might not survive the punishment. But I mean... we live in the same world where Buster Douglas defeated Mike Tyson. Shit can, and does, happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Of course they are absurd and exaggerated for Hollywood, but Rocky was actually inspired by some real life boxing matches from that era, most notably journeyman nobody Chuck Wepner taking an epic beating from Muhammad Ali for 15 rounds (and some elements of George Chuvalo going the distance with Ali and putting Ali in the hospital despite losing the fight by a large margin).

Was  Wepner the Bayonee Bleeder?

I believe he's the boxer that actually sued Stallone, wanting compensation for being the inspiration for the story.  

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

I mean, that's the story, right? He's NOT a great fighter. He doesn't even have a proper trainer or manager until Mick basically bullies his way into the role. He doesn't play defense because he doesn't know how. He's just going the distance with the champ because he's too stubborn to quit, willing his way into the final round.
A mere mortal might not survive the punishment. But I mean... we live in the same world where Buster Douglas defeated Mike Tyson. Shit can, and does, happen.

This. This right here.
  • Hook 'Em 1