It couldn't happen here, until it does ...active shooter on MSU campus

Wally Fairway

• Wally Fairway changed the title to It couldn't happen here, until it does ...active shooter on MSU campus
8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

uh, no offense, but isn't The University of Texas the OG as far as shooting incidents go? 

What starts here changes the world? 

Wow - he's not wrong 

But only about 20 miles from here was the 1927 Bath school bombing, thatv killed 43. But no social media, so minimal coverage or knowledge of the largest school attack.

18 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Wow - he's not wrong 

But only about 20 miles from here was the 1927 Bath school bombing, thatv killed 43. But no social media, so minimal coverage or knowledge of the largest school attack.

Sorry this is happening at your alma mater, Wally.

• Hook 'Em 2

This does not sound like a multiple shooter situation. It is one shooter moving around a massive campus on foot and multiple panicked people barricading and calling into dispatch reporting sounds from all corners of campus and the greater Lansing area that ultimately get checked out and deemed to not be gunfire. Thus far only two confirmed shooting sites on campus over the past 90 minutes or so. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I've been listening for like an hour. Jesus this is a nightmare with the size of campus. 

Yeah, not for nothing...but an important thing to remember is Michigan State by land size and/or student enrollment is fucking massive by all metrics.  Making it even harder.  not just some giant 100 acre+ land grand school, it is fucking huge.  Top 1% size

Also, I';m guessing that the "Good Guys with Guns" there to stop a "Bad Guy with Guns" were at an away game for Big 10 play?  I mean, that has to be the explanation.  Despite the good guys being 1-136 outta the last 137 matches, surely it was due to a scheduling error with the league office, no>?  

Edited by YGIFS

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, not for nothing...but an important thing to remember is Michigan State by land size and/or student enrollment is fucking massive by all metrics.  Making it even harder.  not just some giant 100 acre+ land grand school, it is fucking huge.  Top 1% size

There is a river on campus, woods, farms. It's like the size of Pflugerville. 

Also, I';m guessing that the "Good Guys with Guns" there to stop a "Bad Guy with Guns" were at an away game for Big 10 play?  I mean, that has to be the explanation.  Despite the good guys being 1-136 outta the last 137 matches, surely it was due to a scheduling error with the league office, no>?  

Are good guys with guns allowed there?
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Thankful that it is over. Now I can shift to the grieving for families and exploring local ties phase of things. Then I can proceed to the outage phase of things, before finally progressing to the I give up, this is never going to change phase, and finally succumbing to the fingers crossed, just hope it's not my kids phase. Love you Michigan State. I'd say prayers if it weren't utterly fucking worthless. 

giphy(1)(17).gif.a59bfc3420fef3e90a29b1ef399d276f.gif

0ACE049F-6EF9-49DA-998E-FF4594B861D3.jpeg.7c750a857b559fba9522bda258c70c1f.thumb.jpeg.402b8f205a8c7b625766254f984a536a.jpeg

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

before finally progressing to the I give up, this is never going to change phase

If there was magic wand waved and all guns disappeared and all the factories closed, There would be a massive surge in guns being moved up through the Southern border.  Gun running would be a big part of cartel business.  The first step is securing the border and then legislation.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 21

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

If there was magic wand waved and all guns disappeared and all the factories closed, There would be a massive surge in guns being moved up through the Southern border.  Gun running would be a big part of cartel business.  The first step is securing the border and then legislation.    

The cartels largely get their guns via straw buyers in the US. Mexico has pretty strict gun laws.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

“Chris Rozman, interim deputy chief with MSU Police, was also able to share that the suspect was a 43-year-old man who does not have an affiliation with the university. The suspect allegedly shot himself after he was confronted by police, officials said. 

Rozman said he has no idea why the suspect came to the campus.“

https://www.wlns.com/news/local-news/shots-fired-at-msu-students-instructed-to-hide-run-hide-fight/

AF8AECDD-EE90-4F7F-9263-1FE5299421B8.jpeg

6 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Are good guys with guns allowed there?

most pro-gun states like Texas and Michigan, carry laws on public college campuses is somewhat restricted and left to individual systems and schools to set rules/laws.  Remember this was not a store or church or theater, MSU is a sprawling mid-sized city.  Dozens of half drunk, heavily armed college kids roaming the forest in the dark looking to stop this guy may not be the formula for success we pro-2A folks think it is.  I visited thst campus many times, it makes UT look like a quaint liberal arts college in terms of size.  A 100 man police force would have a hard time tracking a shooter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

In a panic someone could hear an echo off a building and think that direction was the source of the gunshot.

I am sure plenty of people with military/LEO training can chime in with more experience. I attended a several day counter-terror training that involved responding to an active shooter.  

As our intro, we stood in a field while an instructor “briefed” us and then in the middle of his talk an instructor cut loose from the tree line with an AR-15 loaded with blanks. Our briefer said “run, run.”  Well over half the group ran TOWARDS the shooter. 

Lesson learned— before you run, figure out where the shots are coming from. It’s harder than you think. 

Listening to the scanner it's pretty easy to understand how these rumors spread. I might have said it upthread. You've got tens of thousands of people sheltering in place not knowing what is going on and reporting every little thing they think they are and hear to authorities. Those reports go out over the scanner and then random idiots who don't understand what is going on jump on TikTok and Twitter reporting that shots have been fired at Hubbard Hall. You've got Susie in Cedar Village reporting that there is yelling in the hallway and she thinks she sees a gun and that goes out over the scanner and it just continues to snowball.

That said it was pretty clear what was going down when they found the shooter and he shot himself. 

Still a ton of questions. Random Lansing resident decides to go shoot up campus?? 

39 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am sure plenty of people with military/LEO training can chime in with more experience. I attended a several day counter-terror training that involved responding to an active shooter.  

As our intro, we stood in a field while an instructor “briefed” us and then in the middle of his talk an instructor cut loose from the tree line with an AR-15 loaded with blanks. Our briefer said “run, run.”  Well over half the group ran TOWARDS the shooter. 

Lesson learned— before you run, figure out where the shots are coming from. It’s harder than you think. 

Yep, this.  Compound it with the fact the stone buildings are densely packed and make sound bounce and echo goofy as shit.  

More perspective:  "Shooter on Campus" could mean a million things to both students and law enforcement.  UT-Austin's main campus (including real estate east of IH-35 is b about 500 acres.  Even when you include Pickle, Brackenridge, and a few other scattered assets, it's about 1000 acres.  Michigan State is almost 6000 acres, well over 5x the size of all of UT-Austin.  Including thousands of acres of deep forest where anyone can hide for days and not be seen.  That type of environment, nobody was gonna save the day.  It was always gonna end in suicide.

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Thankful that it is over. Now I can shift to the grieving for families and exploring local ties phase of things. Then I can proceed to the outage phase of things, before finally progressing to the I give up, this is never going to change phase, and finally succumbing to the fingers crossed, just hope it's not my kids phase. Love you Michigan State. I'd say prayers if it weren't utterly fucking worthless. 

we really need to do something about mental illness in this country. not that though. or that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

NOW IS NOT THE TIME RANJEEV!  If that's even your real name!  mental health experts tell us that people injured in a mass shooting or closely related to someone killed a mass shooting need at least 48 hours to physically process the trauma before the long road to healing can begin.  You have to wait at least TWO DAYS before talking about anything to related to mass shooting prevention, OKAY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  

(checks notes, in 2023 there is a mass shooting in the United States every 16 hours)

DAMMIT, not a good time! 

and hey look at that, it's been 16 hours since the incident.  So we're on the clock.  Also on the clock:

-"what about Chicago!?!?!?!?!"

-"AR stands for ArmaLite!  If you don't know what you're talking about, you can't join the discussion!"

-nothing about caliber of ammo.  Country be slippin' y'all

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Brisket, did you know who this guy was before Beau posted his tweet?

I will confess to not following the membership of individual seats of the Michigan state legislature that closely.  Shame on me.

IDGAF.  Dude said the right thing at the right time.  More leaders -- a LOT more leaders -- should do the exact same thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1