What are the decent brands of tools sold at Home Depot.

Armybrat

Grandson is moving out of his dad’s house soon, and for his 20th birthday requested a basic general mechanic’s tool set. 
We are thinking about a $500 budget, but do not want any Chinese Harbor Freight type crap.

Milwaukee, Stanley, Stihl, Husky, Gearwrench, Dewalt….. what’s the best out of those brands?

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Grandson is moving out of his dad’s house soon, and for his 20th birthday requested a basic general mechanic’s tool set. 
We are thinking about a $500 budget, but do not want any Chinese Harbor Freight type crap.

Milwaukee, Stanley, Stihl, Husky, Gearwrench, Dewalt….. what’s the best out of those brands?

Thanks in advance.

if only you had a son in the industry you could ask...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

serious answer:  over the past 20 years i've completely bought into the ryobi ecosystem and i've been happy.  i probably average 2 construction projects a year but i'm using at least one piece of equipment every week for something (mowingyard, trimming trees, general maintenance, etc).  haven't had a tool go out on me yet.  only thing that's broken is one of my batteries which although it holds a charge doesn't get "read" by the tool once you plug it in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I've had Ryobi, Dewalt, and Bosch drills. 

Ryobi was too heavy (my fault for not researching), and the batteries died and can't hold a charge. I had the Dewalt drill for 20 years. It's lost it's umph, and battery died. I really like my Bosch drill set, but mainly because it's new. I think it's brushless but would I even know?

My point in all of this, I wouldn't have known any differences in how good or not good the drills are since I used them maybe a few times a year, hanging curtains, repairing fence boards and shit. I get my tools on sale so whatever tools are on sale at the moment I happen to be shopping is what I normally buy. I and most of us don't use the tools enough that we should be all that discerning. I am building a new deck in a couple of months. Maybe I'll wish I had something different then, but then again how the F would I know.

If your son is a contractor, then go for the high dollar stuff. 

Buy whatever's on sale. He prob won't know the difference either. That's my advice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Btw, Slickdeals is a great place to buy shit on sale. Plus the community will tell you if the product is good or shit.

This seems to be a decently received drill set. Haven't tried the hack to see if it works.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16428163-milwaukee-m12-fuel-12-volt-lithium-ion-brushless-cordless-hammer-drill-impact-driver-combo-kit-2-tool-with-bit-set-45-piece-hack-141-9?src=category_page

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty sure brat means wrenches, screwdrivers and stuff.

I thought so too but $500 is a shitton of money to spend on wrenches, screwdrivers and shit unless his job depends on said tools. I have a shitton of wrenches and screwdrivers I've bought just cause they were on sale. I have never had a tool break. I usually lose the bitches before ever having to file a warranty claim. 

Only thing I've had break are drill bits. That's one thing I will spend extra money on.

• Hook 'Em 3

Actually, you can find Craftsman at Ace. But check and make sure it's got the "made in the USA" label to get the real thing and not Chinese crap with the name on it.

That said, the advice I've heard for tools is:

First, buy the cheapest tool. If it breaks, then replace it with the expensive thing.

The idea here is that those tools you use once or twice and never again, you won't overpay for; the ones you use all the time are the ones that end up breaking, and you get the high quality stuff to replace it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

My DeWalt compound miter saw has held tough year after year. Same for my Bosch battery powered drill set. I've never had a Milwaukee power tool but have always heard good things from trades folks I've worked with. I recommend battery powered tools if he's going to do a lot of projects. Definitely get an extra battery or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Thanks in advance.

The Internet likes Tekton for basic handtools (wrenches, sockets, etc)

IMO you get him some Knipex pliers-wrenches, perhaps some gucci wera/wiha/pbswiss allen keys, and then if you really want to, give the rest of the balance as a gift card and he can buy what he likes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kobalt > Husky, imo.  Buy actual crescent for pocket sockets, Klein for pliers, and channel lock etc.    $500 will get you a decent set of Craftsman, with good pliers, good screwdrivers, etc separate.  I was fortunate to put together a decent set of snapon before the kids came. But have supplemented with Craftsman/Kobalt since :( 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, deadshank said:

If you’re looking for a hand tool kit, Crescent makes a good and affordable set.   Lots of basic tools with the attachments that make the most of the tool.  Not too esoteric but a good place to start. 

741433A5-DA75-407A-8A9A-E4ACA4C18CD6.jpeg

D157F798-139E-453A-9661-5BEFEB06C802.jpeg

You mentioned a mechanic's tool set.  To me - that doesn't include drills.  This is a kit we have at the ranch and it works fo 95% of the shit we need a tool for.  highly recommend.  

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, deadshank said:

If you’re looking for a hand tool kit, Crescent makes a good and affordable set.   Lots of basic tools with the attachments that make the most of the tool.  Not too esoteric but a good place to start. 

741433A5-DA75-407A-8A9A-E4ACA4C18CD6.jpeg

D157F798-139E-453A-9661-5BEFEB06C802.jpeg

We gave each of our employees this set for Christmas a couple years ago.

The tools are good quality but the case doesn't hold up to the weather if left on the patio over the entire winter.

Ask me how I know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

We gave each of our employees this set for Christmas a couple years ago.

The tools are good quality but the case doesn't hold up to the weather if left on the patio over the entire winter.

Ask me how I know.

See that black diamond plate looking thing in the background?  Uh huh.  You do.

Put your tool case in that.

You don't want to get a mechanics set.  That's going to contain so many bits socket sizes that will never be used around the house, and you'd really need to store in a large tool box to be able to access anything easily.  Just get a basic general tool set of any name brand like the one above.  Throw in a few power tools like a cordless driver maybe a reciprocating saw.  

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You don't want to get a mechanics set.  That's going to contain so many bits socket sizes that will never be used around the house, and you'd really need to store in a large tool box to be able to access anything easily.  Just get a basic general tool set of any name brand like the one above.  Throw in a few power tools like a cordless driver maybe a reciprocating saw.  

Godless Commie 

On 2/14/2023 at 5:59 PM, 52-80 said:

The Internet likes Tekton for basic handtools (wrenches, sockets, etc)

IMO you get him some Knipex pliers-wrenches, perhaps some gucci wera/wiha/pbswiss allen keys, and then if you really want to, give the rest of the balance as a gift card and he can buy what he likes.

Listen to this man, he's pre-med.  Those brands are tits for the tools mentioned.  Honestly, buy him some good shit.  I still use the sockets, pliers, wrenches that my dad gifted me when I was 18 and I'm approaching Gundy territory.  (and Dewalt miter and circ saw, those ones back in the day were tanks).  I've used them more than most but not professionally, and they were worth every penny.

1 hour ago, drt said:

Listen to this man, he's pre-med.  Those brands are tits for the tools mentioned.  Honestly, buy him some good shit.  I still use the sockets, pliers, wrenches that my dad gifted me when I was 18 and I'm approaching Gundy territory.  (and Dewalt miter and circ saw, those ones back in the day were tanks).  I've used them more than most but not professionally, and they were worth every penny.

Dewalt has fallen off a cliff imo. 

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Dewalt has fallen off a cliff imo. 

with the cordless stuff, it's best to pick the brand, and stick with that brand. Ryobi is fine for a homeowner.  I use Milwaukee, but I've had Ryobi and Hitachi stuff in the past, and I still have the ryobi stuff at my desert house and use it occasionally. 

Mixing and matching doesn't work with cordless stuff.  You want the same chargers, interchangeable batteries, etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

with the cordless stuff, it's best to pick the brand, and stick with that brand. Ryobi is fine for a homeowner.  I use Milwaukee, but I've had Ryobi and Hitachi stuff in the past, and I still have the ryobi stuff at my desert house and use it occasionally. 

Mixing and matching doesn't work with cordless stuff.  You want the same chargers, interchangeable batteries, etc. 

Agree. Milwaukee fan here.  But I buy a bunch of it for my crews and DeWalt quality isn’t anywhere near what it was 10 years ago.  Not by a long shot.  I’ve got a few ryobi stuff for the yard. Milwaukee for personal cordless tools. 

On 2/14/2023 at 12:59 PM, Armybrat said:

Thanks in advance.

get him a decent torque wrench

home depot doesn't sell stihl.  which doesn't sell hand tools.  at least in the US it doesn't.  maybe it did back in the 1870s. 

Edited by elfenix

• 2 weeks later...

Harbor Freights Icon line is as good as anything out there.  It's also not cheap at all.  The Doyle stuff is also really good, and is much better priced

I'm still a fan of the US made Craftsman wrench sets.  The Husky stuff is just fine too.  

Standardized on Milwaukee a while back and have enough of the tools that I look like a fanboy at this point.  For your grandson get him some Ryobi stuff and it will be great to start with.  Nothing wrong with them except they are a bit heavier and the batteries are quite as good, but they are darn near half the price so not a big deal.

But the ryobi batteries online from HD, not in store. Usually they have an online deal for 2 of the larger batteries that is the same price as one battery in store. I guess they know they gave you over a barrel if you’re in the store buying a battery.  

And definitely buy the 6 amp hour batteries. 

Edited by UT_OB1

My tool chest/cabinet has all brands because I buy based on the importance of the tool.

I have Ridgid and Milwaukee drills and such.

Some of my tools are Ryobi, like my table saw and mitre saw.

Home Depot's Ridgid brand has a lifetime warranty, including the batteries.

Husky is good brand for hand tools. Most of them have at least a 3 year warranty if not lifetime.

Also, as for Harbor Freight, if you need a tool that will probably spend most of its life in the tool box then buy their product.

But the general consensus I've come across is the more moving parts a tool has the bigger the risk at Harbor Freight.

And then there's the 30 day warranty.