Bill Watterson: "The Mysteries"

Damor

Finally, this timeline gives us something good to look forward to.  Or, more likely, we're being teased with nice things and the world will end before my preorder ships on 10/10/2023.

Watterson is returning with an illustrated "fable for grownups," which I am anticipating will be beautiful, thoughtful, meaningful, and more difficult to pirate as something pissing on a Ford logo.

The Mysteries

Simon & Schuster announcement:

From Bill Watterson, bestselling creator of the beloved comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, and John Kascht, one of America’s most renowned caricaturists, comes a mysterious and beautifully illustrated fable about what lies beyond human understanding. 

In a fable for grown-ups by cartoonist Bill Watterson, a long-ago kingdom is afflicted with unexplainable calamities. Hoping to end the torment, the king dispatches his knights to discover the source of the mysterious events. Years later, a single battered knight returns.

For the book's illustrations, Watterson and caricaturist John Kascht worked together for several years in unusually close collaboration. Both artists abandoned their past ways of working, inventing images together that neither could anticipate—a mysterious process in its own right.

Some early interesting conjecture here.

I anticipate there will be some mewling about Watterson not being the primary illustrator, but the only thing better than his art for C&H was his writing.  The art previews look fantastic, but I'm going to refrain from peeking at any more than what's already been shown.