2023 College Baseball Showdown Weekend Thread

Horny Bull

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This team is nothing like that team and I will take any bet you want on bottom line results versus that team.  

Well of course not. That team played a full season while this one has only played three games. Though I will point out that numerous times during that season (and last season) we had people popping in every time they had a shitty game or weekend boldly predicting they were not even going to make a regional. And then despite being wrong (though they were right in 2019 so good for them), they never just wait until the end of the season to pronounce how good the team is no matter how many times they are wrong. I find that really annoying. If you are going to pretend to be some kind of Nostradamus every damn year at least note the previous accuracy of your predictions. And no I am not going to be that this current team is going to finish #3 in the country, because I don't think anybody is saying that somehow based on this weekend we are 100% sure of that result.

I am all for raging against the terrible state of the program and against David Pierce...once the season is over and we see how it went. Not EVERY FUCKING TIME THEY HAVE A BAD WEEKEND. FFS.  

Anyway this was a very embarrassing performance with high school like performances by our guys. Nothing good can be said about it. Let's do better on Tuesday.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well of course not. That team played a full season while this one has only played three games. Though I will point out that numerous times during that season (and last season) we had people popping in every time they had a shitty game or weekend boldly predicting they were not even going to make a regional. And then despite being wrong (though they were right in 2019 so good for them), they never just wait until the end of the season to pronounce how good the team is no matter how many times they are wrong. I find that really annoying. If you are going to pretend to be some kind of Nostradamus every damn year at least note the previous accuracy of your predictions. And no I am not going to be that this current team is going to finish #3 in the country, because I don't think anybody is saying that somehow based on this weekend we are 100% sure of that result.

I am all for raging against the terrible state of the program and against David Pierce...once the season is over and we see how it went. Not EVERY FUCKING TIME THEY HAVE A BAD WEEKEND. FFS.  

Anyway this was a very embarrassing performance with high school like performances by our guys. Nothing good can be said about it. Let's do better on Tuesday.

I see a lack of top 20 type talent on this team that I haven’t seen in a long time.  2019 seemed like more of a mental meltdown.  This just looks like a bad roster.   There is pitching talent and a couple of position players.   We don't know about the freshman.  But as a whole it looks like a roster built by a coach who thinks two straight CWSs give him a pass to not claw and scratch for the best possible roster. 

I see a lack of top 20 type talent on this team that I haven’t seen in a long time.  2019 seemed like more of a mental meltdown.  This just looks like a bad roster.   There is pitching talent and a couple of position players.   We don't know about the freshman.  But as a whole it looks like a roster built by a coach who thinks two straight CWSs give him a pass to not claw and scratch for the best possible roster. 

d0f0fe95cb9612b8e761f6920986d224.gif

I'm sure the Vandy softball team/coach/fans/sec fans were all thrilled at the drubbing today, after last week's delay tactic by the Horn's softball coach, White.  After the game was tied 4-4, Vandy scored 3 runs in the top of the 8th inning, and with two outs, and a 1-2 count in the bottom of 8th, White delayed so that the travel rule would kick in.  Time expired, scored reverted to 4-4 (tie).   Vandy and the whole secsec nation called a "chickenshit move" by Texas to keep from having a probable loss.  Anyhow, that's all that was talked about on secrant for a couple of days....so, maybe they are happy now.....but, I doubt it.  Texas is so bad.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We need to look at DH’ing Porter Brown moving forward. He’s a liability in the field. I guess we could say that about a lot of guys right now but he’s #1 on my list.

Powell to first, Thomas to right, Campbell to left. And I’ll be shocked if Carlson isn’t starting somewhere up the middle within a month 

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Powell to first, Thomas to right, Campbell to left. And I’ll be shocked if Carlson isn’t starting somewhere up the middle within a month 

Against righties that is probably a good idea. Not sure where to slot in Flores/Carlson. I believe Carlson primarily played 3B at Long Beach State so I might be a little hesitant to put him up the middle. Flores played SS in high school maybe we just need to bite the bullet and play him there.

Edited by Hookem2147

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Against righties that is probably a good idea. Not sure where to slot in Flores/Carlson. I believe Carlson primarily played 3B at Long Beach State so I might be a little hesitant to put him up the middle. Flores played SS in high school maybe we just need to bite the bullet and play him there.

That’s probably the best solution unless they want Flores to be the long term answer there. I went through all the LBSU box scores when we landed Carlson and remember him splitting time between 4, 5, and 6

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce's quotes.   We'll see.   Baseball is alot about confidence and repetition.

Note that the Tuesday game will start at 5PM.

"Going to test our toughness, our grit," Pierce said. "(We'll) gather the information and go from there."

Pierce said he didn't make those defensive changes Sunday because of the Saturday setback. "I'm not even upset with the (four) guys I replaced in the infield," said Pierce, who added that he had never swapped out all four starters in the infield before.

"I just still feel like that we're not cut and dry in some positions," Pierce said. "And, you know, the young guys had a hard time of it today. Very obvious, there's no doubt. That tells us a lot, but it also should fire up the guys that had to sit today.

"You hate to give up a game because of it, but at the same time, you're looking at a bigger picture from this weekend. We've got to get their attention and get their attention to our details."

"The (second) inning shouldn't have happened, we all understand that. The one thing I'll say is it's a tough thing trying to get seven outs," Pierce said. "But probably his worst pitch was an up-and-out slider on the grand slam."

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2023/02/19/vanderbilt-keeps-texas-longhorns-winless-in-2023-baseball-season/69920732007/

7 hours ago, cochamps said:

Carlson looked a heckuva a lot more like a third baseman than Flores.  I know it’s early, but that doesn’t look close to me.  If he had a .863 ops….

That was his senior year.  Career it’s .728 or something.   2 career homers.   He’s a utility guy.  That fact is we came into the season without a third baseman.