2023 NCAA Baseball

WBT

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

When we join the SEC, I sure fucking hope that we don't have to go to this backwater to play our conference tournament.

I mean, there's some WAYYYYYYYY better venues to feature what will be a juggernaut of a conference.

I nominate Sugar Land / Houston in a dual bid kind of thing (first games in SL and final 3 or so in Minute Maide) or Nashville or New Orleans ... if the Zephyrs stadium is standing or Arlington (Also could be a dual bid) or lastly Memphis.

Yeah I don't get why they still play in that dump

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

When we join the SEC, I sure fucking hope that we don't have to go to this backwater to play our conference tournament.

I mean, there's some WAYYYYYYYY better venues to feature what will be a juggernaut of a conference.

I nominate Sugar Land / Houston in a dual bid kind of thing (first games in SL and final 3 or so in Minute Maide) or Nashville or New Orleans ... if the Zephyrs stadium is standing or Arlington (Also could be a dual bid) or lastly Memphis.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just got tickets to the ACC Championship at the Durham Bulls stadium. Can't wait, great ballpark for the event.

ACC does it right by rotating the stadiums.  I went in 2007 (?) in Jacksonville when I was writing for CBS.  I think they've been in about every minor league stadium in the Atlantic coast.  Hell, they even scheduled Fenway, but bailed when they got cold feet about everyone paying $200/night for hotels.

• Hook 'Em 5

ECU lost 12-11 in 11 innings to USF.
ECU blew a 9-2 lead, and even led 9-5 going to the 9th.  They gave up 6 in T9, but scored 2 in B9 to force extras.

Looks like the AAC tourney is double elimination thru the semi-finals. USF was #175 in RPI.

ECU dropped from 24 to 28 in the RPI. This should be a heavy hit to their hosting prospects. Their only shot is probably to win their tourney and hope for others to falter. That’s probably about as bad a loss as you’ll get in the tourneys.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, torre said:

Houston is way more SEC than Dallas. 

idk if that’s a good thing or not.

Dallas is like if you took Atlanta and removed all the sense of place, but left all the people, traffic, and corporations.

Its all dick and no balls.

Well, Kennedy was shot there. It does have that.

4 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah I don't get why they still play in that dump

Because they all drink the same kool-aid that they've been told to drink, that college baseball is a "niche sport" and doesn't deserve any better than that godforsaken backwater of Hoover, Alabama, where prolly the bidness-fix-is-in with the local gubmits, no one cares, and complaints about getting a better venue aren't allowed.  FFS

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Looks like the AAC tourney is double elimination thru the semi-finals. USF was #175 in RPI.

ECU dropped from 24 to 28 in the RPI. This should be a heavy hit to their hosting prospects. Their only shot is probably to win their tourney and hope for others to falter. That’s probably about as bad a loss as you’ll get in the tourneys.

Damn, my girlfriend is a med student there and it'd have been a great excuse to catch some quality baseball. Guess I'm pulling for them to win out in the tourney.

@Beau Vine  So how long before Jason Kelly uses Washington as a stepping stone to another program?  I dunno that UW will do what it needs to be successful at baseball.

He's already WAR'd himself.    Him and Stankowitz have given Esquer a run for the money on the Pac 12 coach of the year.

Washington should host with Texas as the 1 seed non host.  ;)

Damn, rough way to go. 

A college baseball player died after he was struck in the face when a makeshift dugout he was helping to dismantle collapsed on him this week.

Angel Mercado, 19, was a middle infielder who had just completed his freshman season at Division II Central Penn College. He had been playing in a summer recreation league that held its games and practices in a park in Harrisburg.

The coach of Mercado's team had built a makeshift dugout there out of wood on Sunday, but city officials told him it wasn't allowed. Mercado was among a group of players dismantling the structure Monday afternoon when it unexpectedly collapsed and he was struck in the face.

Mercado suffered a traumatic head injury and was taken to a hospital, where he died Tuesday. The Cumberland County coroner's office ruled the death an accident.

"Nothing criminal happened here," city spokesperson Matt Maisel said. "No charges will be filed against the coach. No charges will be filed against anyone. This is simply a tragedy."