2023 NCAA Baseball

WBT

3 hours ago, torre said:

Tulane (18-40, 164 RPI) defeats East Carolina in AAC Champ Game and steals a bid.    A bubble team will miss out.   Fair or nah ?

I didn't realize until today that tournament was at Reckling.  Would have been fun to catch some games since I won't be going to a regional at the Disch next weekend.

Edited by WBT

26 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

SEC Championship game on the line and aggy loses 10-4.  Pack of losers.

In enjoyable fashion. Caught the bottom of the 8th when their pitcher threw a wild pitch to score an insurance run ... and a few more came across.

But that triumphant SEC runner up sign can be added to blue bell ballpark.

25 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

In enjoyable fashion. Caught the bottom of the 8th when their pitcher threw a wild pitch to score an insurance run ... and a few more came across.

But that triumphant SEC runner up sign can be added to blue bell ballpark.

blue ball bellpark

• Haha 2

Wichita State let the entire Baseball staff go this morning. The AD made it sound like the next staff won't have any connection to the Stephenson years. There has always been a connection to Gene since the program was revived way back when. This was a little surprising because there was some modest improvement shown this year, 3rd in the AAC, more all-conference players than any other school, etc. Add in that he also hired new Men's and Women's Bball coaches and I thought he might leave baseball alone. @Beau Vine @shadow_operative2.0 Who is out there that would be a good hire for a non-P5 program and the Shox in particular?

• Drool 1

42 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Wichita State let the entire Baseball staff go this morning. The AD made it sound like the next staff won't have any connection to the Stephenson years. There has always been a connection to Gene since the program was revived way back when. This was a little surprising because there was some modest improvement shown this year, 3rd in the AAC, more all-conference players than any other school, etc. Add in that he also hired new Men's and Women's Bball coaches and I thought he might leave baseball alone. @Beau Vine @shadow_operative2.0 Who is out there that would be a good hire for a non-P5 program and the Shox in particular?

They canned the A.D. last year at the end of the academic season.  I wonder if they will go alumni (ala rice/asu) or get the best coast possible.  

HIbbs was an interim baseball coach this year.... so it's not that big of a surprise...  Dan Skirka has been tearing it up at Murray State (where the current AD is from)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I would throw a lot of money at Nate Yeskie, because A&M did that to get him and they'll do that to keep him.  If you want someone with head coaching experience, Reggie Christiansen can really coach, and he might be scary with WSU's resources.

The guy they had before Wedge wasn't a Gene guy, was he?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

The guy they had before Wedge wasn't a Gene guy, was he?

No, Todd Butler had Arkansas ties but some of the rest of the staff were former Shockers. Brent Kemnitz was the pitching coach and I forget who else was involved. I thought Loren Hibbs did a very good job with Wedge's kids and should have been retained but I suppose his age worked against him a bit. Seems like a dumb reason to me but that's all I can figure. After agreeing to only be the interim coach, the head coaching bug bit him hard and he really wanted to continue. Time will tell if the new AD did the right thing, I guess. Thanks for the response.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
Couldn't remember shit

2 hours ago, petscii said:

They canned the A.D. last year at the end of the academic season.  I wonder if they will go alumni (ala rice/asu) or get the best coast possible.  

HIbbs was an interim baseball coach this year.... so it's not that big of a surprise...  Dan Skirka has been tearing it up at Murray State (where the current AD is from)

Local radio hints at the current ORU coach being the top of the list. I haven't googled him yet and can't remember his name.

So far I have been very impressed with AD Saal. I liked his Basketball hires but this move seems a little rushed. Hibbs was interim but he let it be known that he would be willing to continue. He had some nice recruits lined up. We have some deep pocket donors but I think they are getting tired of being asked for money to make people go away. I'm not one of them but I know a couple and that's the sense I get.

26 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Well, OSU and WSU have played for years. Careful what you wish for. 

I remember sitting at Husky Ballpark in the rain watching the Shockers beat the shit out of UW.    The next year listening to the game on the radio the Huskies returned the favor...

I want to say it was a Tuesday game during the late 1990 or 2000 before they changed the temp bleachers out.  Back when I could still sit in the cold and rain during a baseball game. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sounding like Yeskie may be headed back for a reunion with Jay Johnson at LSU.

Yeskie was really good at Oregon State and Arizona but for whatever reason hasn't produced at the same level with aggy. Maybe it was just a bad fit with Schloss? 

Mississippi State boards are talking like they have a chance at Yeskie for their pitching coach opening. They made it sound like him and Jay Johnson may not be on the best of terms, which would make sense considering Johnson didn't bring him to LSU the first time around. Apparently Johnson is really hard to work for.

Portal hasn't been has active as I would have thought considering the season is over for the majority of teams. One interesting wrinkle this year is the portal closes after the draft in July (was the opposite last year), so there could be a rush of late entries.

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mississippi State boards are talking like they have a chance at Yeskie for their pitching coach opening. They made it sound like him and Jay Johnson may not be on the best of terms, which would make sense considering Johnson didn't bring him to LSU the first time around. Apparently Johnson is really hard to work for.

I think Yeskie went to aggy simply because they gave him the most money. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

42 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

We absolutely crushed him 3 times in 3 years.

He has a lot to like about him. Has the potential to be a Pete Hansen type arm, similar delivery, similar frame. Not worried about how he fared against Texas because if we get him he won’t be playing Texas.

Hurley wasn’t some polished elite arm from USC, he still isn’t, but he has a lot of things you like, I’m sure they saw a little Lebarron in him. 

3 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Word on the skreet up here on the Llano Estacado is that he was told he wouldn’t be the main catcher next season and he was unhappy about being replaced by an actual competent player

Maybe he has issues behind the plate as a catcher but his hitting numbers are way above a "competent player." 

On 5/23/2023 at 2:14 PM, Gut Wagon said:

Aggy with the hotel luggage cart HR celebration just seems to fit. 

I heard the Walmart greeter wouldn't let them take one of the grocery carts, so they stole the luggage cart from the Days Inn.

Edited by TCU Alum
  • Haha 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/angelo-state-baseball-defeats-rollins-211650703.html

https://angelosports.com/sports/baseball/roster

Congrats to Angelo St for winning the DII National Championship over Rollins (Winter Pk, Fl).   

Kirk Dressendorfer's son is a pitcher, Sophomore,  did not pitch much this year.    Looks just like his Dad (photo).

Excerpt:

The Angelo State baseball team won its first NCAA Division II National Championship in program history by beating Rollins 6-5 on Saturday at the USA Baseball National Training Complex in Cary, North Carolina.

The Rams won in nail-biting fashion after holding a 6-2 advantage entering the ninth inning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

I heard the Walmart greeter wouldn't let them take one of the grocery carts, so they stole the luggage cart from the Days Inn.

I can't even tell if that is sarcasm because it could very well be 100% true.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Former Maryland baseball coach and back-to-back Big Ten Coach of the Year Rob Vaughn has left for the same position at Alabama, the school announced Monday.

He replaces Brad Bohannon, who was dismissed in May after he was linked to suspicious betting on the Alabama baseball team. Sources told ESPN's David Purdum that Bohannon was seen on surveillance communicating with the person who made the bets in question.

Pitching coach Jason Jackson was elevated to interim coach after Bohannon's dismissal and led the team to a 13-6 record. Alabama hosted its first regional since 2007, winning all three games to advance to the super regional round, where it lost at Wake Forest.

Jackson was retained and elevated to associate head coach. He will continue to serve as pitching coach as well. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37842801/rob-vaughn-leaves-maryland-joins-alabama-baseball-coach

https://www.bluegoldsports.com/2023/06/13/former-mountaineer-ben-hampton-transfers-to-big-12-foe/

Former Mountaineer Ben Hampton transfers to Big 12 foe

by Wesley Shoemaker

IMG_0827.jpg

West Virginia baseball pitcher Ben Hampton has transferred to Big 12 foe TCU.

Hampton was a key part in guiding the Mountaineers to a program record tying 40 wins this year. Hampton was 5-3 with a 4.45 ERA this season. In his career he was 17-11 with 203 strikeouts and a career ERA of 4.62. This past season, West Virginia was 11-5 in games Hampton started.