I am currently looking for a Woodlands or Houston Heights apartment sublease

Tex48

Thought I'd ask on here. I recently started a new job in Spring. I am not sure if I want to live in the Heights or the Woodlands long term. Does anyone know anyone who is trying to sublease their apartment in either the Heights or the Woodlands? 

(Mods please move this to For Sale if it doesn't belong here)

Edited by Tex48

Age and marital/children status? Do you hang out in Houston primarily? Those are gonna be the most important factors along with commute time.

Woodlands is obviously much closer to Spring, but I wouldn't want to live out there unless I had a job nearby and a gaggle of kids. I work with guys that live in the Woodlands and they only come into the city a few times a week and it's a good 2 hours spent in the car each day, coming and going.

On the other side, living in the Heights and driving to Spring every day, even doing the reverse commute, you're looking at 30+ minutes on I-45, 2x a day.

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I've lived in The Woodlands off and on since 2000. It's a great place to raise a family, generally safe/lower crime. There are some issues in the area, but there isn't a part of Harris County that I would want to live in. 

The Heights and the Woodlands both have their pros and cons, depending on what you're for; but they're palpably different and would obviously also differ widely in terms of commute time. One is probably going to stand out over the other if you do a simple pros/cons list.

52 minutes ago, Briuis said:

but there isn't a part of Harris County that I would want to live in. 

This is actually an unintentionally great job of showcasing what so many people find off-putting about the Woodlands without being able to point to something tangible. It is filled with people who say shit like this with a straight face.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Briuis said:

I've lived in The Woodlands off and on since 2000. It's a great place to raise a family, generally safe/lower crime. There are some issues in the area, but there isn't a part of Harris County that I would want to live in. 

Good, we don’t want you in Harris County

❄️ 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Thought I'd ask on here. I recently started a new job in Spring. I am not sure if I want to live in the Heights or the Woodlands long term. Does anyone know anyone who is trying to sublease their apartment in either the Heights or the Woodlands? 

(Mods please move this to For Sale if it doesn't belong here)

Those are two very different places. I live Heights adjacent (Timbergrove/Lazybrook area). There are lots of things to do in the area and really vibrant bar scene in several areas (e.g., 20th/19th, White Oak, and Washington bar scene is nearby). You will not want for entertainment or food. There are also plenty of apartments and homes in the area for lease, I'd be happy to send a few links if you'd like (I don't have any relationship with these properties). Downside is going to be your commute to Spring, but you'll be against traffic every day, so it really shouldn't be that bad (20-30 minutes each way).  Of course, I say that as someone who lives in this area precisely to avoid any sort of commute whatsoever. 

The Woodlands is suburbia. If you want to live in suburbia, go for it. It'll be convenient. And, the area can be pretty. But you'll be traveling a good distance to do just about anything. 

1 hour ago, Briuis said:

@Tex48 move to the Woodlands if you want frightened old men like this who don't like anything interesting as your neighbors. 

33 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

@Tex48 move to the Woodlands if you want frightened old men like this who don't like anything interesting as your neighbors. 

@Tex48 this is correct.  Absolutely not a single interesting person in any of the Houston metro suburbs.  Specifically the wealthier ones. 

Edited by fattyflattie

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@Tex48 this is correct.  Absolutely not a single interesting person in any of the Houston metro suburbs.  Specifically the wealthier ones. 

There are plenty of interesting people. Just not as many interesting things. And perhaps a higher percentage of old men yelling at clouds. 

Well, I’ve lived in The Woodlands/Spring for almost 16 years now and I’m still looking around for all of those great things I’m missing by living in Houston. Are there museums on every block that you don’t have to drive too? Are there bars, breweries, and restaurants clustered one every other corner down here that I’m missing? Yeah, you may have to drive or Uber to see “something” whatever the fuck that is, but it isn’t a bad place to live. Depending on how much your budget it, you could look at some of the apartments downtown so you can walk to bars and restaurants like the rest of the “interesting” world does.

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Well, I’ve lived in The Woodlands/Spring for almost 16 years now and I’m still looking around for all of those great things I’m missing by living in Houston. Are there museums on every block that you don’t have to drive too? Are there bars, breweries, and restaurants clustered one every other corner down here that I’m missing?

Yes? You should check them out sometime. 

Yeah, you may have to drive or Uber to see “something” whatever the fuck that is, but it isn’t a bad place to live. Depending on how much your budget it, you could look at some of the apartments downtown so you can walk to bars and restaurants like the rest of the “interesting” world does.

It isn't bad. It is just different. Whether it fits depends on the person and where they are in their life. 

8 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Age and marital/children status? Do you hang out in Houston primarily? Those are gonna be the most important factors along with commute time.

Woodlands is obviously much closer to Spring, but I wouldn't want to live out there unless I had a job nearby and a gaggle of kids. I work with guys that live in the Woodlands and they only come into the city a few times a week and it's a good 2 hours spent in the car each day, coming and going.

On the other side, living in the Heights and driving to Spring every day, even doing the reverse commute, you're looking at 30+ minutes on I-45, 2x a day.

I’m 24 and mainly hangout in houston. I’m trying to cut down on my commute. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Probably not the Woodlands, in that case. 

You’d probably rather reverse commute to work than commute constantly for your social life. 

If you decide on the Heights, commute via the Hardy Tollway to Spring and back.  It’s worth the extra to avoid the stress of 45.

I would recommend start in the heights for 6 months and move north if you hate it.  If you start in the Woodlands, everyone there will convince you to never leave.

im ok with the woodlands but love the greater heights area. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

In that case, opt for the reverse commute. Live somewhere in town and drive up to Spring. Get an apartment or find a buddy to share a townhouse with in the Heights or Garden Oaks/Oak Forest or somewhere similar.

If your social life is in Houston, moving to the Woodlands will throw a giant wrench in it. You'll end up staying out in the burbs more often than you think. You want to be taking $75, 45-minute Uber rides home from the bars?

3 hours ago, Tex48 said:

In my mid 20's, worked in Connecticut.  Had to choose whether to mimize daily commute or fun-related commute.  Chose to live in Manhattan, locking in one hour daily commute, because higher probability of consistently dipping my little peen into ladies. No ragrets.

• Hook 'Em 4

Taking the hardy toll road to/from the Woodlands is the best return on your money for your mental health.  If worried about cops, set the cruise control. The hardy toll road isn’t about getting there faster but rather your mental state when you arrive.

my only complaint about the hardy toll road is that it doesn’t go far enough north before it merges into 45.

• Hook 'Em 1

Taking the hardy toll road to/from the Woodlands is the best return on your money for your mental health.  If worried about cops, set the cruise control. The hardy toll road isn’t about getting there faster but rather your mental state when you arrive.
my only complaint about the hardy toll road is that it doesn’t go far enough north before it merges into 45.

Preach brother . 45 is a fucking zoo. I’d pay triple on the hardy just to avoid the shitshow that is I-45.
  • Hook 'Em 1