Dishwasher is not running

I had this happen on a KitchenAid DW that at the time was a CR best pick. It was in actuality a POS.

You can pull the owners manual online and figure out how to run a diagnostic cycle. At the end, your display will give you one to several codes as to what's wrong. 

I my case, it provided many codes each diagnostic cycle, and different codes each cycle. 

I replaced a few components one at a time to knock the code list down, almost all digital/electrical elements, along with the vent fan, and the dish soap dispenser.

Then I realized that the codes all together translated to...don't waste time and money.. get a new DW.

Opted for a more pricey DW that's nicer than I would normally get as it seems all mid level appliances are shit now. (redid kitchen in 2017...all new appliances plus new W/D... Every appliance was from CR best list... Every appliance needed work within a year). Got a Mele... Happy with it. The dishes actually come out clean.  All glasses that hadn't been through the DW looked hazy. Didn't realize they were hazy until we actually saw a clean glass next to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

In the Dumbasses are Dumbasses department.....a couple of years ago, I thought my dishwasher was fried.  Checked the breaker box which was all good, started looking online for replacements.  Mentioned to a friend at work and she (yes, she, no pics) said you might have accidentally turned off the switch.  I guess the switch was already on when I moved into the house, and I honestly didn't know there even was a switch.  She was right, I accidentally turned off the switch when moving stuff on the counter.  #dumbass

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

In the Dumbasses are Dumbasses department.....a couple of years ago, I thought my dishwasher was fried.  Checked the breaker box which was all good, started looking online for replacements.  Mentioned to a friend at work and she (yes, she, no pics) said you might have accidentally turned off the switch.  I guess the switch was already on when I moved into the house, and I honestly didn't know there even was a switch.  She was right, I accidentally turned off the switch when moving stuff on the counter.  #dumbass

My mom and stepdad did that as well.

When I moved into my townhouse, the first thing I was told by my landlord was "this is the switch for the dishwasher.  if the D/W isn't working, flip the switch.  don't call and tell me it's not working, because I'm going to roast you if I have to come look at it and you forgot to flip the switch" 

I have a piece of electrical tape over that switch that says DO NOT TOUCH so it stays on

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does it have power?  Is there a dishwasher switch that may have been turned off?

It does.  In fact, I can push the buttons, start a cycle but it'll stop in five minutes

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

The pro electricians wire it to the garbage disposal switch.

Correct.  Disposal is good and the DW is draining.  

Guess I'll look for owner's manual.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

...In fact, I can push the buttons, start a cycle but it'll stop in five minutes

Same issue I had. Ran for a minute and stopped. Unfortunately there are a dozen things that can cause that according to the Googles. Drain clogged, vent fan, heating element, circuit board, soap dispenser, etc. Newer models turn off if anything in the diagnostic check at the start of the washing comes back wrong. Even if it's something benign like the water isn't heating up (when it could wash it cold) or the vent fan flap won't open (but you could air dry after the wash). 

Up to you to decide how many of those things your willing to hunt down and replace one at a time before it's not worth the overall cost. Also not sure this is still an issue, but supply chain issues with parts was a pain in the ass as well. And we had to wait about 9 months for the new DW to become available. We got it July 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Same issue I had. Ran for a minute and stopped. Unfortunately there are a dozen things that can cause that according to the Googles. Drain clogged, vent fan, heating element, circuit board, soap dispenser, etc. Newer models turn off if anything in the diagnostic check at the start of the washing comes back wrong. Even if it's something benign like the water isn't heating up (when it could wash it cold) or the vent fan flap won't open (but you could air dry after the wash). 

Up to you to decide how many of those things your willing to hunt down and replace one at a time before it's not worth the overall cost. Also not sure this is still an issue, but supply chain issues with parts was a pain in the ass as well. And we had to wait about 9 months for the new DW to become available. We got it July 2022.

Man, it's only two years old.  Should I call repair guy?  Hate washing by hand as it's unsanitary

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

in close to humping's case, it is probably a clogged drain.

So... I've repaired our dishwasher a few times.

Searched for the symptoms on YouTube. Diagnosed accordingly (usually something to do with a diagnostic, followed by an ohmmeter checking for a short/continuity), then ordered parts and did the replacing.

Dishwashers are simple to fix... But even simpler to replace.

Edited by Slacks
Swype-os
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Save the snide joke about the wife.  

It's not clogged though.  Ever happen to you?

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Man, it's only two years old.  Should I call repair guy?  Hate washing by hand as it's unsanitary

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think I have a Bosch

Starts the thread with very scant details and says don't blame the wife.
Is ready to call the repair guy at the drop of a hat.
Doesn't even know the brand of the washer.

Clearly we are talking to the wife. Now I'm worried about what happened to closetohumping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Starts the thread with very scant details and says don't blame the wife.
Is ready to call the repair guy at the drop of a hat.
Doesn't even know the brand of the washer.

Clearly we are talking to the wife. Now I'm worried about what happened to closetohumping.

Now that I think about it, "closetohumping" sounds like something a wife would say.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Slacks said:

Fixing one is almost the same as installing one.  I've done both multiple times.

Same. Last dishwasher I fixed, about 10 days later the wife found a dented Bosch at Lowe’s for 100. Bought new door skin, put in Bosch, sold newly fixed GE on marketplace.  Same thing happened with dryer. Full rebuild because we loved the set. Month later, washer has full failure.  FML. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:28 PM, TeeDubya said:

87ea5e650fa2b95347759002fa5d5a94.jpg
My heating element died last week $25 on Amazon. A few F-bombs later and I replaced it.

I'll bet you dropped some F-Bombs! All your really had to do was remove the front mount that holds the heating element in place to remove it.  Little screw behind it is a booger to access though. Tight quarters to be sure, and I dropped the screws about 5 times trying to get them back in,  but a lot easier than removing the drum.  In my case I have done this surgery a couple times.  And now unfortunately  I have to do exactly what your picture shows! 😉 Have the box of four rollers one of those mofo's is getting noisy. 

Past all the electronic control panel shit dryers are pretty fucking simple, electrically.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

I'll bet you dropped some F-Bombs! All your really had to do was remove the front mount that holds the heating element in place to remove it.  Little screw behind it is a booger to access though. Tight quarters to be sure, and I dropped the screws about 5 times trying to get them back in,  but a lot easier than removing the drum.  In my case I have done this surgery a couple times.  And now unfortunately  I have to do exactly what your picture shows! 😉 Have the box of four rollers one of those mofo's is getting noisy. 

Past all the electronic control panel shit dryers are pretty fucking simple, electrically.

I tried that, and could reach the back screws of that heating element housing, but not with enough leverage to turn them.  Just as well.  
And you're right.  I was ready to buy a new one (it's 9 years old), but the damn thing ran through all its diagnostics ok, so I figured the board was still ok....  
And Occam's razor, most likely problem was the heating element, and I could see the break in the coil with my little endoscope.

Edited by TeeDubya
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh one more VERY important thing!!!

There is a thermal fuse safety that when it heats up breaks the electrical connection internally.  Usually this is because something is blocking the exhaust, or the filter is so clogged you cannot get good airflow.  So the area around the heating element gets too hot and the fuse breaks the connection.  Here's the weird thing, you can actually reset this fuse by whacking the flat disk until it resets.  You can check continuity and see that the fuse works again.  Sometimes it's awkward, but nearly every dryer has this sort of thermal fuse to prevent fire.  You have to whack it pretty hard and sometimes there is a framework about it.  

But man, the satisfaction of getting the mofo to work again without having to order a part....  fucking satisfying as hell!   I taped it to a dowel to get some leverage and a couple whacks downward as pictured and no service call!

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Oh one more VERY important thing!!!

There is a thermal fuse safety that when it heats up breaks the electrical connection internally.  Usually this is because something is blocking the exhaust, or the filter is so clogged you cannot get good airflow.  So the area around the heating element gets too hot and the fuse breaks the connection.  Here's the weird thing, you can actually reset this fuse by whacking the flat disk until it resets.  You can check continuity and see that the fuse works again.  Sometimes it's awkward, but nearly every dryer has this sort of thermal fuse to prevent fire.  You have to whack it pretty hard and sometimes there is a framework about it.  

But man, the satisfaction of getting the mofo to work again without having to order a part....  fucking satisfying as hell!   I taped it to a dowel to get some leverage and a couple whacks downward as pictured and no service call!

spacer.png

My previous dryer thermal fuse was a different style, and it melted to break the circuit.  But my diagnostic said the overheating was because the signal from thermostat to computer wasn’t working and the fix was replace the controller and entire wiring harness for like $150.
so I bought a 5 pack of fuses for $15 and dialed in the timed drying to where time would run out before it got too hot. Every few months it’d overheat again and I’d just take off the back panel and replace the fuse.

i was nice enough to replace the dryer when i sold the house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 10:26 AM, DCLonghorn said:

Opted for a more pricey DW that's nicer than I would normally get as it seems all mid level appliances are shit now. (redid kitchen in 2017...all new appliances plus new W/D... Every appliance was from CR best list... Every appliance needed work within a year). Got a Mele... Happy with it. The dishes actually come out clean.  All glasses that hadn't been through the DW looked hazy. Didn't realize they were hazy until we actually saw a clean glass next to it. 

Well fuckety fuck fuck...pricey ass Miele DW purchased in July died yesterday. Friendly support arranged for warranty repair....three weeks from now. Worked fucking great...really great...until it didn't.