Go karts?

CleverNickname

Anyone handy and knowledgeable about such things? My son (10) is interested in cars and engineering and also tearing around the ranch. But I'm cheap. I want something that will last until he gets interested in girls and doesn't have time for his old man anymore. Then I can drove it.

What's the way to go? Buy a used yerf dog spiderbox? (But spare parts a probem?) Are modern coleman or gy6 the way to go? I don't have any dreams about putting a 400cc engine or whatever. Keeping it 150, max maybe a harbor freight predator 212. I'm not super handy, but fixing flats and adjusting cables and cleaning carbs might be a fun experience to share. 

I’ve been trying to find a deal for several years. Will probably break down soon and just bite the bullet on something nicer.  Oldest rides a little Honda 50 bike, but others aren’t interested, so figured a cart would be where it’s at.  The mini sized rangers are just too much $$ and hardly ever see them. I did find a beautiful Manco in the same exact spec I owned as a kid, but wanted some more safety for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bought a go-kart for my son for Christmas in 2013 when he had just turned 12.  It was a Black Widow, but I don't remember the brand.  I wasn't a Yerf I don't think.  Anyway here is a picture of it when I picked it up and took it to the ranch for him.  He had a great time with it until his cousin taught him to drift, and he rolled it and broke his arm.  It's been sitting in the barn at the ranch for a couple of years now without being started.  They are kind of a pain to keep running. At some point, I had the engine replaced with a Harbor Freight 150, I think.  The last time it was used, the drive belt broke and threw the belt cover.  It might also have a front-end alignment problem.  I've been thinking about hauling it home, getting it running, and selling it, but I don't really have the time.  If either of you want a project, this might be it.

gokart.jpg

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bought a go-kart for my son for Christmas in 2013 when he had just turned 12.  It was a Black Widow, but I don't remember the brand.  I wasn't a Yerf I don't think.  Anyway here is a picture of it when I picked it up and took it to the ranch for him.  He had a great time with it until his cousin taught him to drift, and he rolled it and broke his arm.  It's been sitting in the barn at the ranch for a couple of years now without being started.  They are kind of a pain to keep running. At some point, I had the engine replaced with a Harbor Freight 150, I think.  The last time it was used, the drive belt broke and threw the belt cover.  It might also have a front-end alignment problem.  I've been thinking about hauling it home, getting it running, and selling it, but I don't really have the time.  If either of you want a project, this might be it.

gokart.jpg

@CleverNickname there you go. If you’re not interested, I might be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Look at a used golf cart. It tops out around 20 mph, you could flip it on its side but you’d have to really try, and you can use it for stuff when they aren’t. My 10 year old drives the heck out of ours (electric) around the beach without issue. Technically it’s against the law for someone under 16 to drive it on the streets, but the Deputies so far have turned a blind eye.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@CleverNickname there you go. If you’re not interested, I might be. 

Do it! Might be too much a project for me.  I might have been the poster mentioned below who was converting a go kart (Manco dingo maybe? Scorpion?) to electric. Never did get it working.  Sold it to an engineer who fiddled with it and got it going. My son complains about that. The one that got away... We have a 36v golf cart. It's fun - the kids drive it about 50x more than do - but it's not really for hooning. 

So anyone know about brands?

I bought a Polaris Rzr 170 for my then 4 and 10 year olds (its a side by side but basically a go kart).  It is designed for that age and has been fantastic so far.  

Only drawback is I'm 6'0" and my knees hit the dash.  If you are 6'1", now way you fit and thus would not be able to sit in there with them to teach them how to drive.