EMTs

Bevo

My son wants to work as an EMT this summer. He is in college and needs patient experience for applying to med school. He is talking about some kind of Cohort program and honestly, I have no clue what he is talking about. Is it possible to do EMT work over the summer? What does he need to do? He seems to think he can do it in New Mexico but can't figure out how to do it in Austin.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Is he certified and licensed?

No, but he's willing to learn - ie. if necessary he can probably take classes at night or something to get certified depending on how long it takes to get certified. Maybe, this cohort thing is a way to get certified while working as an EMT - no clue.

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is there something like that in Austin? Shit, I'll just pay for it, if it is that easy.

Don't know. I just Googled how long to become an emt in Texas and that came up.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RPM said:

Don't know. I just Googled how long to become an emt in Texas and that came up.

Google? Why didn't I think of that?

It seems like most are a couple of months for online stuff and a week for in-person training. So, if he doesn't want to get a hotel in Corpus, he could start his online now - if he could handle online plus a full course load.

Alternatively, maybe he could skip all the work and hookup with a nice young female with a trust fund.

Just tell him to apply to be an AFD cadet. Then they'll pay him to learn and get certified in the AFD Training Academy.

But seriously, there's a lot of book learning and a lot of hands-on practical learning and testing required to get certified as an EMT. These accelerated classes won't remotely be pushovers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

But seriously, there's a lot of book learning and a lot of hands-on practical learning and testing required to get certified as an EMT. These accelerated classes won't remotely be pushovers. 

He's a smart kid - and maybe it will be good for him. But, yeah it sounds like a lot if he starts while he is a full-time student and if he waits until summer, his whole summer will be pretty rough. One of his issues outside of the EMT stuff is that he is a liberal arts major so all his pre-med/mcat classes have to be taken over the summer also.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are a couple places he can do an online emt course online in as little as 14 days. It is insanely intense and he will not be able to do it unless he clears his plate of absolutely everything else but that class. Then, if he passes his final exam he will have to take the National Registry test. Then if he passes that he will have to find somewhere to work. If he's trying to fit all of this into summer break I will go ahead and tell you it's not feasible.

EMT certification is good for 2 years. If I were him I would get that out of the way then find an ESD that would take him on as a volunteer and he can do that a couple saturdays a month. No agency is going to hire him with no experience as a part time or PRN employee. Those positions, if they even exist, are reserved for people that were full time and have transitioned to PT for one reason or another.

There are plenty of online EMT programs that are self paced. That would be my recommendation. Also, if he says he wants to go to paramedic school next, beat him with a wooden spoon until he changes his mind.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 7:54 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

There are a couple places he can do an online emt course online in as little as 14 days. It is insanely intense and he will not be able to do it unless he clears his plate of absolutely everything else but that class. Then, if he passes his final exam he will have to take the National Registry test. Then if he passes that he will have to find somewhere to work. If he's trying to fit all of this into summer break I will go ahead and tell you it's not feasible.

EMT certification is good for 2 years. If I were him I would get that out of the way then find an ESD that would take him on as a volunteer and he can do that a couple saturdays a month. No agency is going to hire him with no experience as a part time or PRN employee. Those positions, if they even exist, are reserved for people that were full time and have transitioned to PT for one reason or another.

There are plenty of online EMT programs that are self paced. That would be my recommendation. Also, if he says he wants to go to paramedic school next, beat him with a wooden spoon until he changes his mind.

I'm curious as to why you think this.  My son recently completed an EMT course and passed his certification. He will be looking for a entry level EMT job with sights on eventually going to paramedic school.

I'm curious as to why you think this.  My son recently completed an EMT course and passed his certification. He will be looking for a entry level EMT job with sights on eventually going to paramedic school.

Because the person I was responding to said his son is wanting to do EMT to get some hands on experience before going to med school. Med school > medic school.

Signed,

FP-C, CCEMTP Herbie
  • Like 1

I did it and it was fun but I dont think it helped much.  I have no idea if it helped me get into med school though - they don't tell you that shit, I just got in.  I don't think I walked away with any skills that helped me later - I learned everything important on the job in residency.  Honestly, I'm not sure med school really helped either except for the background information.