2023 NBA Draft

Mitch Cumsteen

14 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Rockets get a Top 4 pick literally every year but it's rigged for someone else.  M'kay.

All true, but it’s not like the Rockets were jumping up into the top 4 every year. They have the worst or second worst record over the last 3 years. They got #2 in the year Cade Cunningham was undisputed #1, they got #3 last year and had to take Orlando and OKC’s leftovers, and now they get #4 in a 3 player (well, one and 2a/2b) draft. They may become the next decade’s Pacers with several above average to good players and are a fringe playoff team. 

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

All true, but it’s not like the Rockets were jumping up into the top 4 every year. They have the worst or second worst record over the last 3 years. They got #2 in the year Cade Cunningham was undisputed #1, they got #3 last year and had to take Orlando and OKC’s leftovers, and now they get #4 in a 3 player (well, one and 2a/2b) draft. They may become the next decade’s Pacers with several above average to good players and are a fringe playoff team. 

My point is that with that mount of high draft picks, they should be winning at least some.  Their player development is awful.

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It’s almost like the NBA owners (by way of Silver) think Fertitta is a douchenozzle.  And they’d be right.  Using the lottery to express this opinion is they least they can do.

• Haha 2

That's actually good for both.  OKC gets #4 and Houston gets to control their own draft.

Thing is, the Houston picks might not be as tasty as the Clipper picks.  They own their 24 pick unprotected and The Nephew hurt his bad knee again in the playoffs.  He could conceivably not play this season and the 26 pick is even better.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean this one remains to be seen. I'd say two of the best four. DRob, Shaq, Duncan, LeBron.

I just mean as far as prospect hype.  I think Lebron was viewed as the biggest catch but some have said victor may be a better prospect.   Shaq was indeed a highly thought of prospect of course

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It's possible (and so far accurate) that you took the wrong player two years ago and last year there wasn't a consensus #1 and arguments for all 3 guys to go first overall. 

Like that tweet says, there's just a 12.5% chance the Rockets would have gotten top 4 all 3 years. And it's way too early to be writing off Jalen and JSJ anyway. 

As a pistons fan, last night was tough. pistons had one shot to take a leap. and 3 shots to be decent. Instead they are going to finish with the worst record in the league in back to back seasons. 

No top free agents are coming to detroit and they are going to start 4 dudes in their 1st or second year (if this was a redshirt for cade). With Vic they could have been good (middle of the pack in the east) in 2025, with Miller they could have at least had a shooter on the team for 2025 with a shot at making the playoffs. Now they are going to suck until Ivey, Duren and Cade all have to be reupped. 

fuck.

As a pistons fan, last night was tough. pistons had one shot to take a leap. and 3 shots to be decent. Instead they are going to finish with the worst record in the league in back to back seasons. 
No top free agents are coming to detroit and they are going to start 4 dudes in their 1st or second year (if this was a redshirt for cade). With Vic they could have been good (middle of the pack in the east) in 2025, with Miller they could have at least had a shooter on the team for 2025 with a shot at making the playoffs. Now they are going to suck until Ivey, Duren and Cade all have to be reupped. 
fuck.

Nothings worse than draft lottery purgatory. Not only do you have to get lucky and win it, but it has to be the right year and that guy still has to pan out. Wemby has a ton of pressure on him, as last nights lottery was as seen as the biggest one since lebron.

I don’t know much about this years prospects, but it’s seems like a log jam of SGs and SFs outside of Miller and Wemby. Not exactly what the pistons need. Have fun with Grady dick lol
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Nothings worse than draft lottery purgatory. Not only do you have to get lucky and win it, but it has to be the right year and that guy still has to pan out. Wemby has a ton of pressure on him, as last nights lottery was as seen as the biggest one since lebron.

I don’t know much about this years prospects, but it’s seems like a log jam of SGs and SFs outside of Miller and Wemby. Not exactly what the pistons need. Have fun with Grady dick lol

Yeah it seems like the pistons are going to end up with one of the Thompson twins and that is pretty terrible. I guess I could be wrong but they just seem like they are destined to bust. 

I guess it was better to win it Cades year than some but damn it would have been good to get this one. 

Spurs.... Robinson, Duncan, Wemby.... Come ON

Edited by Juicy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Yeah it seems like the pistons are going to end up with one of the Thompson twins and that is pretty terrible. I guess I could be wrong but they just seem like they are destined to bust. 

^same for Rockets. Those Thompson brothers can’t shoot and something about them seems destined as mega flops. Might as well get the #8 pick and save some lottery karma for the future because we can’t all have the Spurs’ luck. 

It will never happen, but if the NBA wants parity they are going to have to implement something where each team can only have 1 Max player. Other wise it is going to remain super teams and the squads like pistons and rockets will have a ton of young players and could be fun, but will never actually be a threat.

They arent going to be able to keep their young squads together for 7-8 years to get them to their prime, and they arent going to be able to add an all NBA player to their young core to make them competitive. 

It really is lottery purgatory. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Bucks and Raptors have recent NBA championships. After Durant left GS the league was wide open, there is more parity now than ever before. If you squander 4 top 5 picks in a row, that's you being a poorly run organization.

Edited by Pam Cummings

It will never happen, but if the NBA wants parity they are going to have to implement something where each team can only have 1 Max player. Other wise it is going to remain super teams and the squads like pistons and rockets will have a ton of young players and could be fun, but will never actually be a threat.
They arent going to be able to keep their young squads together for 7-8 years to get them to their prime, and they arent going to be able to add an all NBA player to their young core to make them competitive. 

Celtics and Nuggets are basically home grown.

Lakers and Heat less so... but those two teams, specifically, rarely are.

I don't think "super teams" are as big of a problem for the NBA as load management. Which, as a Spurs fan, is not easy to admit, considering Pop basically started the trend.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ZanTheFan said:

Celtics and Nuggets are basically home grown.

Lakers and Heat less so... but those two teams, specifically, rarely are.

I don't think "super teams" are as big of a problem for the NBA as load management. Which, as a Spurs fan, is not easy to admit, considering Pop basically started the trend.

Horford, Blake, Brogdon, White and even  Galinari arent superstars but they are all solid players. None of them were home grown. 
I guess if you have a core of Brown, Tatum and Smart you can get players to come and play there. 

Dumars killed the pistons by letting all their good draft picks go for washed up old balls players. Would have been nice to have guys like Dinwiddie and middleton or at least gotten an actual return on them.

Edited by Juicy

4 hours ago, Juicy said:

Is this your way of saying "I don't follow the NBA"?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is this your way of saying "I don't follow the NBA"?

When your team is as bad as the pistons are....... yes. Every fall I get hype for the possibility and then by thanksgiving....... its how high can we go in the draft. 

If you are a shit team like the pistons, and not in LA/MIA/NYC as a destination for players it would be helpful if there was a way to get some of the top talent.

15 minutes ago, Juicy said:

When your team is as bad as the pistons are....... yes. Every fall I get hype for the possibility and then by thanksgiving....... its how high can we go in the draft. 

If you are a shit team like the pistons, and not in LA/MIA/NYC as a destination for players it would be helpful if there was a way to get some of the top talent.

Even GS has been draft and develop when you take out the KD move.  The only super teams that have ever won had only involved Lebron.

• Hook 'Em 1

Even GS has been draft and develop when you take out the KD move.  The only super teams that have ever won had only involved Lebron.
Celtics big 3 (4? Does rondo count?) sort of a mix of both. But that was an entirely different era at this point.

37 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I don't really understand what you're arguing then. You got the #1 pick in the draft 2 years ago and there's a rookie supermax extension designed to keep those players with the teams that drafted them. They also just instituted extremely strict tax penalties.

I mean, dude, the fucking Kings were a 3 seed this season and should have beat the Warriors in the 1st round. The Jazz and Grizzlies have been regular fixtures in the playoffs for awhile. The Cavs have done a great job rebuilding post LeBron.

It isn't the NBA, it's just that the team that you follow has unfortunately sucked for awhile now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't really understand what you're arguing then. You got the #1 pick in the draft 2 years ago and there's a rookie supermax extension designed to keep those players with the teams that drafted them. They also just instituted extremely strict tax penalties.

I mean, dude, the fucking Kings were a 3 seed this season and should have beat the Warriors in the 1st round. The Jazz and Grizzlies have been regular fixtures in the playoffs for awhile. The Cavs have done a great job rebuilding post LeBron.

It isn't the NBA, it's just that the team that you follow has unfortunately sucked for awhile now. 

He's got the MN bias, his team sucks at drafting and player development so he just assumes every team sucks at it

On 5/17/2023 at 7:25 AM, Juicy said:

Hard cap solves a lot of the parity issues. 

I understand the new “taxes” are designed to prevent the Warriors etc from having a $400 million dollar payroll

You guys didn't think they'd give Victor to a team like Detroit or OKC right?  Victor is the second most valuable draft commodity this century.  Pop is stable, Spurs are a popular team in France.  NBA needs Pop to be relevant again.  This works.  Well played.  So obvious now.  Forget about market size.  People watch Milwaukee too

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You guys didn't think they'd give Victor to a team like Detroit or OKC right?  Victor is the second most valuable draft commodity this century.  Pop is stable, Spurs are a popular team in France.  NBA needs Pop to be relevant again.  This works.  Well played.  So obvious now.  Forget about market size.  People watch Milwaukee too

Detroit is right by canada, they speak french. COME ON! 

But yeah about 2 weeks into the season I knew the spurs were getting the number one pick. Wild that you have 3 terrible seasons in 30 years and every year you end up with the number 1 pick. In a draft with a generational talent. Talk about luck. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Detroit is right by canada, they speak french. COME ON! 

But yeah about 2 weeks into the season I knew the spurs were getting the number one pick. Wild that you have 3 terrible seasons in 30 years and every year you end up with the number 1 pick. In a draft with a generational talent. Talk about luck. 

I actually naively threw out Portland, Houston and OKC as pretty intriguing storylines for Victor.  But this makes the most sense.  Kind of like Cleveland getting Bron.  Rockets getting Hakeem to pair with Ralph.  The Magic, magically getting the #1 in back to back years. Spurs pairing Duncan with Robinson.  Rod Thorn getting the first pick his first year, etc.  

I don't think you need to be Sherlock Holmes or Inspector Gadget to figure this out.

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You really believe that this is a conspiracy? With all the other lottery teams witnessing the ping pong ball process? Seriously? I promise you the league didn't want him in San Antonio. The Spurs are the most media unfriendly franchise in the league. They are notoriously protective of their players and massively limit access. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wemby:  universe told me I was going to be drafted by spurs 

no kid. That was Al Gentry

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Let's take a live look at @closetohumping

Always Sunny Fx GIF

It was SO rigged that the Spurs won the first pick and the 4th pick, twice.

They forgot to shut off the Go ESpurs Go button.

Yes.  Of course.   

read the same when the Rockets landed Yao.  “Not only did they get him the first time. They came up the second and third time too!!! Told you!  Totally random”

Edited by closetohumping

Love the Spurs fans mocking other teams for their alleged inability to draft and develop players. Same people that say Pop is the greatest coach of all time. None of the 5 championships were won without Duncan who was a consensus #1. Their best move in the past quarter century was trading for Kawhi at #15 and nobody knew what he’d become or he’d have been picked way higher. (Or conversely, if the Spurs are savants and knew what Kawhi would be, where are all their other super star draft picks?) If the Spurs were zen masters of drafting and player development, the franchise wouldn’t have completely fallen apart when Kawhi bolted. Many Spurs fans on this thread admitted they haven’t given a shit about the team in 5 years. Now Pop gets Wamby and gets to continue his legacy. It’s more luck than skill. Some teams seem cursed with shitty luck of never getting the top picks in the years with HOF players, or drafting guys that get hurt or just flame out.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Who's mocking other teams?

What I've seen here is serious saltiness about the Spurs landing #1, which I get. It's absurd and I dreamed it but at 14% I wasn't holding my breath.

To the point of drafting and developing - the Spurs established an international presence years before other teams. From Zarko freakin' Paspalj in the 90s to obviously Manu and Tony Parker, they saw the value of international players and developed the shit out of them. Tony Parker couldn't hit an outside shot to save his life his first few years in the league.

So dismissing 5 NBA championships and within seconds of another can be considered "luck" to those who have no concept of the work and skill involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Love the Spurs fans mocking other teams for their alleged inability to draft and develop players. Same people that say Pop is the greatest coach of all time. None of the 5 championships were won without Duncan who was a consensus #1. Their best move in the past quarter century was trading for Kawhi at #15 and nobody knew what he’d become or he’d have been picked way higher. (Or conversely, if the Spurs are savants and knew what Kawhi would be, where are all their other super star draft picks?) If the Spurs were zen masters of drafting and player development, the franchise wouldn’t have completely fallen apart when Kawhi bolted. Many Spurs fans on this thread admitted they haven’t given a shit about the team in 5 years. Now Pop gets Wamby and gets to continue his legacy. It’s more luck than skill. Some teams seem cursed with shitty luck of never getting the top picks in the years with HOF players, or drafting guys that get hurt or just flame out.  

Lol. Okay. I mean first of all pretty sure Manu and Tony were drafted and developed by the Spurs. Two other first ballot HoFers. Derrick White has been Boston's 3rd best player for huge stretches this season. Lonnie Walker has played meaningful minutes for the Lakers in the playoffs. The Hawks gave up quite a bit to snag Dejounte Murray. None of those guys were high draft picks. 

Devin Vassell is a starting caliber 2 guard - another borderline lottery pick. Jeremy Sochan we drafted 9th and he already looks like he's going to be at worst an elite role player. 

But yeah the Spurs as an organization is just Tim Duncan averaging 30/15 every year in the playoffs. 

Not to mention we were in the playoffs more often than not even before Pop and TD arrived. (Plus, all-time win% leader, record for consecutive playoff appearances, record for consecutive 50-win seasons)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

If the draft was rigged,

• Anthony Edwards would have gone to Golden State with the #1 pick
  • Zion Williamson would have gone to the New York Knicks with the #1 pick
  • KAT would have gone to the Lakers with the #1 pick

And on and on.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe take a gander at where Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili were drafted.

16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If the draft was rigged,

And on and on.

Didn’t the warriors have the 2 pick that draft?  Edwards was not viewed as a slam dunk.   A cynic would say the league was trying to pair Zion with AD or it was a reward for his impending departure

17 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If the draft was rigged,

And on and on.

And Real Madrid would've not matched with Manchester City in the Semis

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Who's mocking other teams?

What I've seen here is serious saltiness about the Spurs landing #1, which I get. It's absurd and I dreamed it but at 14% I wasn't holding my breath.

To the point of drafting and developing - the Spurs established an international presence years before other teams. From Zarko freakin' Paspalj in the 90s to obviously Manu and Tony Parker, they saw the value of international players and developed the shit out of them. Tony Parker couldn't hit an outside shot to save his life his first few years in the league.

So dismissing 5 NBA championships and within seconds of another can be considered "luck" to those who have no concept of the work and skill involved.

I spent the last 2 years speaking it into existence, this isn't luck man its voodoo magic.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

If the draft was rigged,

And on and on.

The top two picks last year went to Orlando and Oklahoma City.  

On 5/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

First off all, yes... it's complete luck to win the lottery three times at the odds that they had. No fucking shit. I don't think anybody with half a brain would ever deny that.

But not fucking it up afterward? There's definitely skill in that. Look at how many hall of fame players got drafted to shitty teams/organizations and never did shit. KG wasted away for a decade in Minnesota. New Orleans did absolutely dogshit with Anthony Davis. Cleveland royally fucked up Lebron's first tour there. Shaq in Orlando. I could do this forever.

For damn near 30 years the Spurs drafted at the dead ass end of the first round. For sure they missed on a bunch of dudes, but got damn did they hit on an an unreal number of rotation (or better) guys that typically outperformed players drafted 10-15 slots ahead of them on the regular. You want some examples: Luis Scola #56 (still pisses me off he never played for them), Beno Udrih #28, Ian Mahinmi #28, Tiago Splitter #28, George Hill #26, Cory Joseph #29, Kyle Anderson #30, Dejounte Murray #29, Derrick White #29, Keldon Johnson #29, Tre Jones #41. Go ahead and find me another franchise with a track record like that. And that doesn't even mention guys they pulled off the scrap heap like Bruce Bowen, Danny Green, Patty Mills, etc.

And for the record, the Spurs didn't completely fall apart when Kawhi bolted. They were a 48 win playoff team him in 2019 without him playing a single minute while he was being a giant bleeding cunt distraction. Then they won 32-34 games a year for the next three years with two play-in games. Then they blew it up and rolled the dice to tank specifically for the one year when the generational prospect was available and well... 

But it's certainly not luck or coincidence that this just happened to be the year that they tanked. This isn't some multi-year Houston, Detroit or Philadelphia bottom out. It was one year, see if you get lucky, and then start building it back up whatever happens. It just happened that whatever happened, happened. And they are positioned perfectly with good young supporting talent (that they drafted btw) in Sochan, Vassell and K Johnson, and loaded for bear with draft picks, swaps and cap room. Getting Wemby was lucky as fuck but everything else... not so much.

• Hook 'Em 6

On 5/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Your jealousy and insecurities are oozing out of this post like the puss from a pimple. 

• Hook 'Em 1