Tell me about wireless alarm systems

TwiceHorn

Moving to a new house soon.  It seems not to have a security system or maybe they had a wireless job, because there are a few sensors here and there, front door among others.

In our current home, local PD does monitoring, but when we moved in required a landline, so we initially blew it off and never changed to internet monitoring.  We live in a pretty safe area and were content just having a noisemaker.

I think we'd be content just having a noisemaker again, so don't require monitoring.  But cameras and entry and motion detectors might be nice.

Simplisafe seems to be the "school solution" these days, pros, cons other recommendations?

I replaced an existing ~10 yr old security system with Simplisafe last fall.  Package deal- base, sensor modules, glassbreak/ motion, indoor camera, etc. from Costco.  Think it was around $175.

Since I already had magnetic sensors on the doors/ windows from the old alarm system (these are basically two wires and a magnetic open/ closed switch), i got the soldering iron out, and connected the Simplisafe modules to the wires where the old sensors terminated in the alarm control panel.  Then removed the old system/ prettied things up.

So, I'm running wireless w/ Simplisafe, utilizing existing wiring/ sensors.  Works great, and I don't have the Simplisafe modules on doors/ windows.  

...And, have a couple of ADT signs out front for fun.

• Hook 'Em 1