2023 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

EZ$

Not sure why, but not overly excited about this season. Didn’t make any significant moves while all other contenders did.  
We really need Ozuna to get back to being a .270, 30-35 homer guy and Acuna to get back to his 2019, top 5-10 player in the game form.  

Rotation and bullpen should be fine barring any injuries. Soroka is a lottery ticket if he stays healthy and can do what he did his rookie year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 11:23 AM, EZ$ said:

Not sure why, but not overly excited about this season. Didn’t make any significant moves while all other contenders did.  
We really need Ozuna to get back to being a .270, 30-35 homer guy and Acuna to get back to his 2019, top 5-10 player in the game form.  

Rotation and bullpen should be fine barring any injuries. Soroka is a lottery ticket if he stays healthy and can do what he did his rookie year. 

right there with you.  i don't think they'll suck or anything, but other teams got better and the braves stood pat (at best).  

i'd say there is about a 3% chance that ozuna is anything better than a massive liability all season.  i expect the bottom of the lineup to suck.

I guess the suprise of the Spring will be our 5th starter. Elder and Anderson haven’t been good this Spring and were reassigned to the minors, so it will be between our #1 prospect Jared Shuster and a marginally ranked prospect named Dylan Dodd.  Both lefties with similar minor league stats (not dominating, but decent).  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, starting to get a little excited. The entire lineup is hitting (especially Olson), so hopefully they all continue to stay hot and get out the gate fast so our pitching has some time to catch up to them.  
Even our AAAA guys like Hilliard, Wall, White, Sierra, Shewmake are having huge springs and I bet Rosario becomes expendable if Hilliard/Wall continue to rake in AAA. Luplow may be in the mix based on previous ML experience, but he didn’t have a super spring. 

The Atlanta Braves are planning to retire the No. 25 of former five-time All-Star center fielder Andruw Jones in September.

Jones will be the 11th Braves player in history to have his number retired.

"It's a great honor getting your number retired. You don't think about things like that while you're playing. You just play the game you love," said Jones. "I'm thankful to the Braves for giving me the opportunity to play the game I love."

Jones will be honored during a pregame celebration Sept. 9, ahead of the Braves' game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Jones, 45, batted .254 with 434 home runs and 1,289 RBIs during his 17-year career, with 12 of them coming with the Braves (1996-2007). He was a 10-time Gold Glove winner.

Jones joins Dale Murphy, Bobby Cox, Chipper Jones, Warren Spahn, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Phil Niekro, Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron and Tom Glavine as players to have numbers retired by the Braves.

Michael Soroka’s first two starts with Triple-A Gwinnett have given the right-hander further reason to feel good about his bid to once again be a part of Atlanta’s pitching staff. 

Soroka has posted a 2.35 ERA, recorded eight strikeouts and issued just two walks while totaling 7 2/3 innings through his first two starts for Gwinnett. The 25-year-old right-hander is carefully going through the process of making up for the time he lost when he came to Spring Training with a strained right hamstring.

Crazy that he has only made 3 starts since that 2019 season. And he's still only 25, lulz.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got our full lineup back in place (Ozuna is even coming around) and now our staff is falling apart.
I’d be surprised if Wright or Fried pitch another inning this year.

Well, we won it all with a beat up pitching staff in 2021, so maybe we can ride Strider and Morton in the playoffs this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else see Harris rob Schwarber of a HR? Good lord is that guy athletic.

Bought my first ever jersey (this year's city connect Braves jersey) and took my wife to her first Braves game at Truist a couple weeks ago as we're actually about to move from the Atlanta metro area to the West Coast in a couple of weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Culb. 

The Atlanta Braves designated Charlie Culberson for assignment with awkward timing Sunday, as the infielder's dad had been scheduled to throw out the first pitch on Father's Day at Truist Park.

Those plans had to change after Atlanta DFA'd Culberson to make room for catcher Chadwick Tromp.

Instead, the father of Braves outfielder Michael Harris II handled the first pitch before the game against the Colorado Rockies.

Culberson, 34, a Georgia native, had not made any appearances for Atlanta since being called up May 19.